Confusion over controversial new Immigration Form

Several post have been removed for various reasons. Post will be removed without further notice. If you post disappears you can assume you steeped over the line.

Most were in violation of at least one of these Forum Rules

"2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation."

Again

One thing foreigners must remember and that is Thai language as well as Khmer language can not be translated into English precisely and there will always be something important lost in translation. To know exactly what is being said in Thai and Khmer, one must be Thai or Cambodian. Because only they know the true meaning which must remain in their languages to be 100% understood. With that said, you can be 100% sure about one thing and that is this will not be the last time you will be confused about any announcement, rule or law.

Whatever you do guys don't give them your TV username you will all be nicked for defamation

So you are saying that if you give your TV user name to the Immigration people, or any business or authority, and

they want to find you they can do so by knowing your TV user name?

So some TV member uses defamation of character, the person who was defamed gets in touch with Thaivisa, who

then gives that person the members email address, then the person gets the TV members real name and address, from

their email address, then the police come knocking? Absolute cobblers.

More likely they ask for the IP address of the poster. From there they trace the address.

The legal fact is that these answers can only be made mandatory when they're written into law. I certainly intend to refuse them!

Alternatively, if you think your refusal may make you a military target, think up TRUE and creative answers:

2.4 All social media you use:

2.4.1 Google

2.4.2 YouTube

2.4.3 Wikipedia

2.5 Vehicle used by foreigner

Mo-cy, rot mae, rot air, songthaew, rot tu, tuk tuk, taxi meter, BTS, MRT, rua

2.6 Other places or premises visited often by the foreigner

Chatuchak Weekend Market, Siam Square, Wat Po

So far, I've only seen these questions. For bank accounts, give either a foreign bank account or dormant account.

Edited by facthailand

They only have 3 lines for social media....they should have given at least a half to full page to be realistic. I don't have a crystal ball to know what taxis or busses I will use when I am here. Only 1 line for e-mail?? I have 7 to choose from. I am gonna have some fun filling out that form if I ever see it.

I don’t think this is any surprise in view of the escalating global terror threats, they clearly feel this approach will help, but I’m not so sure you’re going to capture any real bad people these will have little or no visibility fomaly, using ATM, cash and false documents, I’m sure none of them will fill in the form.

But what they do with the information is of concern as I don’t trust any government to hold this data in a secure way, this is just another possible way of some hacker stealing the data and money that we have worked hard for.

all my visas come from consulates, ill give the policy some consideration when it affects me.

until that this is just another ill-conceived scheme.

there is no point in arguing the finer points.

it seems that these forms - if completed - are going to be susceptible to a plethora of different creative responses...... multiple addresses, cars from around the world, I think maybe the dept has underestimated the amount of information that could be added to these forms if one complies to the letter....they would be totally swamped by the extra paperwork......but these practicalities are never considered in this sort of one-man dictum, are they?

You are assuming that Thai authorities are efficiently processing all the huge piles of paperwork they are already collecting - there must be a huge warehouse somewhere to contain all the useless photocopies and forms that Thai bureaucracy demands already.

At least they recycle some of it by handing it out to other random people to reuse.

Ubon Joe, could you please weigh in on this issue. I've heard reliable information that the only people being asked to fill out this form are those with 'business' visas. In addition, the use of the form creates two classes of persons who report in person or do the 90 day reporting online. Would like to see something definitive.

For those of use on retirements visas or extensions of stays, 'most' of the information requested is already provided.

Thanks!!

I have only seen two reports of a person being given the form. One was for a re-entry permit at the one stop center for a person working for a BOI company. The other was for a 90 day report at Chaeng Wattana by person that is on an extension based upon marriage.

I've just got back from Chamchuri Square where I thought I'd do my 90-day report, as it's closer than CW. I didn't know I could do my 90-day report there & it turned out I couldn't.

The lady at the information desk looked at my passport & said 'You teacher, have to go Changwattana' then mumbled something about a 'business visa'. The way people have been talking, I thought anyone could do it there but then I found this on the immigration website:

Particular Services for extension of temporary stay, Notification of address every 90 days, Re-entry Permit, Visa Issuing and Changing type of Visa , could be provided only for foreigners carrying out duties relating to the specific law : Immigration Act , Petroleum Act / Board of Investment Act / Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act.

Contact at One-Stop Service Center for Visas and Work Permits At Chamchuri Square Building

So I'll have to do the trip to CW tomorrow after all...I'll report back then.

Edited by GanDoonToonPet

Another poorly designed form to join the long list of poorly designed and confusing forms that the Govt come up with.

Why are you saying 'The Government'------------- Do any of you stupid people who send in stupid answers ever read what the thread is all about.This is a form sent out by the request (or demand) of one (ONE!!!!) immigration qfficer.It is NOT even from the Immigration Dept as such,just one man.They will not get any personal data that is not relevant from me.I could on the other hand fill up the form and a few extra pages with all the bars and eating places that I frequent,football grounds,favourite towns and places that I go to sometimes at week ends,Temples that have monks in them that always seem to be pleased to see and talk to me.I also like to do the occasional bit of window shopping at various big stores where I get a coffee and meal if hungry.There are lots of other info like this,hobbies etc that I am happy to provide info on.How am I doing so far????????????????

Anyone in immigration is an agent of the government - anything they say is consequently "the government" - anyone who has spent more than 24 hours in Thailand will realise that one of the most common ways of laws/regulations being introduced or changed is by dictum usually from one (overzealous?) person.....

You are exactly one of the people I was referring to in my first sentence--------------- this form does not come from a government organisation------- its a one man band from one office----------- Clear now???????????????????coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

..and that office is? clear now???

Twitter just links to an email which links to nothing. Again you are assuming that the criminal-to-be is on an extension and has a bank account. Many can get by just using an ATM linked to their home account.

Personally, I'm not gonna ever give any false information but I'll be cautious as to what information I provide as one of these days I might decide to become a criminal.

Public profiling..... this is non of their business.... Immigration concentrates only on the validity of documents, background checks with those documents with the authorities back home, who have the competency to answer any question related to the person. They have no need for social information, with whom one associates, hangs out or plans to go. In Germany a country that knows much about this profiling and abusing...under nazism and also the STASI in the Eastern block. People are not obliged to give their ID or copies of it to people who have nothing to do with the law. Even Banks will not disclose any information of a person unless parties have agreed with each other. Prying into personal life is not vouched for every tom dick and harry, who is looking to find a reason to make a case.

Foreigners recognise your rights you are only obliged to give details of where you are staying and how long you have stamped on your travel document. The rest is not anyones business. They cannot control their own lot...let alone follow up on the local crimes, they are thinking of international.....Good luck

Foreigners seem to forget who they are in Thailand. They are "FOREIGNERS" and not THAI. If one wants to be a a country other than your own,

comply with the Laws and Regulations of that Country or leave and go back home !

• Like 2

Ubon Joe, could you please weigh in on this issue. I've heard reliable information that the only people being asked to fill out this form are those with 'business' visas. In addition, the use of the form creates two classes of persons who report in person or do the 90 day reporting online. Would like to see something definitive.

For those of use on retirements visas or extensions of stays, 'most' of the information requested is already provided.

Thanks!!

I have only seen two reports of a person being given the form. One was for a re-entry permit at the one stop center for a person working for a BOI company. The other was for a 90 day report at Chaeng Wattana by person that is on an extension based upon marriage.

I've just got back from Chamchuri Square where I thought I'd do my 90-day report, as it's closer than CW. I didn't know I could do my 90-day report there & it turned out I couldn't.

The lady at the information desk looked at my passport & said 'You teacher, have to go Changwattana' then mumbled something about a 'business visa'. The way people have been talking, I thought anyone could do it there but then I found this on the immigration website:

Particular Services for extension of temporary stay, Notification of address every 90 days, Re-entry Permit, Visa Issuing and Changing type of Visa , could be provided only for foreigners carrying out duties relating to the specific law : Immigration Act , Petroleum Act / Board of Investment Act / Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act.

Contact at One-Stop Service Center for Visas and Work Permits At Chamchuri Square Building

So I'll have to do the trip to CW tomorrow after all...I'll report back then.

Wat made you think you could do your 90 day report at the one stop center. That has never been possible as far as I know.

You can do your 90 day reports at Imperial World Laprao or Major Hollywood Suksawat also.

"From 2nd January, 2014, all foreigners residing in Bangkok will be able to provide their 90 days notification of residence at 2 additional offices, which are Immigration Service Center for 3 national Legalized Labors, Major Hollywood Suksawat and Imperial World Ladprao."

I think you will understand the mentality of the author of this form when you fill out your foreign address including "village number and headman".

That's awesome.

It also says that is only for those from Laos, Cambodia and other neighboring countries. Somebody needs to look at the form again.

• Like 1

Twitter just links to an email which links to nothing. Again you are assuming that the criminal-to-be is on an extension and has a bank account. Many can get by just using an ATM linked to their home account.

Personally, I'm not gonna ever give any false information but I'll be cautious as to what information I provide as one of these days I might decide to become a criminal.

Public profiling..... this is non of their business.... Immigration concentrates only on the validity of documents, background checks with those documents with the authorities back home, who have the competency to answer any question related to the person. They have no need for social information, with whom one associates, hangs out or plans to go. In Germany a country that knows much about this profiling and abusing...under nazism and also the STASI in the Eastern block. People are not obliged to give their ID or copies of it to people who have nothing to do with the law. Even Banks will not disclose any information of a person unless parties have agreed with each other. Prying into personal life is not vouched for every tom dick and harry, who is looking to find a reason to make a case.

Foreigners recognise your rights you are only obliged to give details of where you are staying and how long you have stamped on your travel document. The rest is not anyones business. They cannot control their own lot...let alone follow up on the local crimes, they are thinking of international.....Good luck

Foreigners seem to forget who they are in Thailand. They are "FOREIGNERS" and not THAI. If one wants to be a a country other than your own,

comply with the Laws and Regulations of that Country or leave and go back home !

I have a friend who has a fair amount of money invested in Thailand that provides good incomes for some Thai citizens.

Thailand is his home now and he has no intention of leaving and is willing to comply with all laws.

But he is becoming increasingly nervous with the situation here.

So to paraphrase him "I'm staying, but my money's leaving."

The business will end, as will the employment and his money will be returned to the banks in his own country.

This is not good for Thailand. But as long as there is a decreasing sense of security for foreigners then I would expect this to be a growing trend.

• Like 2

Whatever you do guys don't give them your TV username you will all be nicked for defamation

So you are saying that if you give your TV user name to the Immigration people, or any business or authority, and

So some TV member uses defamation of character, the person who was defamed gets in touch with Thaivisa, who

then gives that person the members email address, then the person gets the TV members real name and address, from

More likely they ask for the IP address of the poster. From there they trace the address.

If that's the case, then I will have to watch what I say in future, my postcount is going to rise a lot slower now.

To those who take comfort in the notion that filling out the form is "optional," may I point out that renewing your visa is also "optional."

Wherever this form originated it perfectly expresses the xenophobic military outlook. It might not stick this time, but the issue will not go away.

• Like 2

I think you will understand the mentality of the author of this form when you fill out your foreign address including "village number and headman".

That's awesome.

It also says that is only for those from Laos, Cambodia and other neighboring countries. Somebody needs to look at the form again.

I dont even know how I would fill out that part of the form anyways as we dont have;

Village number

Sub-district

District

Province

in my home country. Guess I just leave them blank.

Answering questions is optional, interesting. whistling.gif

Reading between the lines, I think the genius who dreamed this up has been receiving negative feedback. He has been told he had no authority to do this. Notwithstanding the introductory preamble on the form to the effect that everyone would have to fill it in, it is clear there is no law to compel anyone to do so. The Pol General is hastily backtracking. Based on reports over the last couple of days, I believe this form is already dead, at least until a Minister with a similar mindset is appointed.

Several post have been removed for various reasons. Post will be removed without further notice. If you post disappears you can assume you steped over the line.

Most were in violation of at least one of these Forum Rules

"2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation."

Again

Re posting removed posts will result in a formal warning,

No idea about the validity of the new/ex form.

But I would hazard a guess that if the current/any Thai authorities wanted information relating to any user via their username on TV then they,ThaiVisa.com or associated companies, would have no choice but to provide it?

• Like 1