Clinton and Trump battle it out on home turf in New York primaries

webfact

Clinton and Trump battle it out on home turf in New York primaries

606x341_330456.jpg

NEW YORK: -- The road to the US presidential nominations has led to New York, with Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump each billed to win on home turf.

Hillary Clinton

Clinton, the former senator of New York, is the party frontrunner. But after losing seven out of the last eight contests, she’ll need a convincing win to consolidate her lead.

“I love New York. And this has been a joy during the last two weeks, to be here all over the state,” she said.

A win for Clinton in New York could spell disaster for her rival, Brooklyn-born Bernie Sanders.

Sanders will need a strong win in the state, where 291 delegates to July’s Democratic convention are at stake.

Donald Trump

Opinion polls suggest first-time candidate Trump has a double-digit lead in New York.

“It’s a proud moment, it’s a great moment and who would have thought and it’s just an honor, and my whole reason for doing this is to make America great again,” he told the press.

Trump’s closest challenger, Ted Cruz is placing last in New York, according to opinion polls. 95 delegates are up for grabs in the winner-takes-all Republican vote.

History, in addition to polls and voter-registration records, indicates a strong tilt in favour of the Democrats in the northeast corridor.

New York currently has 5.8 million registered Democrats and 2.7 million Republicans, according to state records.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-20

Trump, Clinton triumph on home turf in New York primaries
JULIE PACE, Associated Press
JONATHAN LEMIRE, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — Front-runners Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton swept to victory with ease in Tuesday's New York primary, with Trump bouncing back from a difficult stretch in the Republican contest and Clinton pushing closer to locking up the Democratic nomination.

Trump's victory was a psychological boost for his campaign, though the impact on his path to the Republican nomination was still to be determined by the number of delegates he secured. If he captured more than 50 percent of the vote, he would be in strong position to win most of New York's 95 delegates, an impressive haul.

Trump leads the Republican race with 756 delegates, ahead of Sen. Ted Cruz with 559 and Ohio Gov. John Kasich with 144. Securing the Republican nomination requires 1,237.

Among Democrats, Clinton has 1,758 delegates to Sen. Bernie Sanders' 1,076. Those totals include both pledged delegates from primaries and caucuses and superdelegates, the party insiders who can back the candidate of their choice regardless of how their state votes. It takes 2,383 to win the Democratic nomination.

With the votes still being counted, Trump declared that it was "impossible" for his rivals to catch him.

"We don't have much of a race anymore," he said during a victory rally in the lobby of the Manhattan tower bearing his name. He peppered his confident remarks with more references to the economy and other policy proposals than normal, reflecting the influence of a new team of advisers seeking to professionalize his campaign.

Clinton's triumph padded her delegate lead over rival Bernie Sanders, depriving him of a crucial opportunity to narrow the margin. Sanders vowed to compete through all of the voting contests, though his odds of overtaking Clinton at this stage in the race are low.

"We've got a shot to victory," Sanders said in an interview with The Associated Press. "We have come a very long way in the last 11 months, and we are going to fight this out until the end of the process."

Sanders spent Tuesday in Pennsylvania, as did Trump's main rival Ted Cruz. The Texas senator panned Trump's win as little more than "a politician winning his home state," then implored Republicans to unite around his candidacy.

"We must unite the Republican Party because doing so is the first step in uniting all Americans," Cruz said in remarks read off a teleprompter.

The fight for New York's delegate haul consumed the presidential contenders for two weeks, an eternity in the fast-moving White House race. Candidates blanketed every corner of New York, bidding for votes from Manhattan and the surrounding boroughs to the working class cities and rural enclaves that dot the rest of the state.

Trump needed a strong showing to keep alive his chances of clinching the Republican nomination before the party's July convention — and to quiet critics who say the long primary season has exposed big deficiencies in his campaign effort.

Having spent months relying on a slim staff, Trump has started hiring more seasoned campaign veterans. He acknowledges that bringing new people into his orbit may cause some strife, but says the moves were necessary at this stage of the race.

Cruz is trying to stay close enough in the delegate count to push the Republican race to a contested convention. Cruz's campaign feels confident that it's mastered the complicated process of lining up individual delegates who could shift their support to the Texas senator after a first round of convention balloting.

Kasich, the only other Republican left in the race, was seeking to add to his scant delegate total and keep up his bid to play a long-shot spoiler at the convention. Kasich has refused to end his campaign despite winning only his home state.

Trump's political strength, though he boasts of drawing new members to the party, has left some Republicans concerned that his nomination could splinter the Republicans. Among Republican voters in New York, nearly 6 in 10 said the nominating contest is dividing the party, according to exit polls.
___

AP writers Lisa Lerer, Julie Bykowicz, Emily Swanson and Steve Peoples contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-20

As much as Republicans try to get (and expect) everyone to hate HRC, there are still tens millions of voters who like her, and like the idea of her being prez.

Reps can throw poop 24/7, but if none of it sticks, then they're just expending calories for a dead cause. Actually, maybe those tons of poop are serving as pretty good fertilizer. You know, the prettiest flowers thrive on poop.

Pleased to see that the duck has taken New York and remains a giant thorn in the side of the republican party. No surprise to see your future president Clinton win with ease. I was getting concerned that Trump was going down the pan and that Cruz was going to overtake him. We wouldn't want Donald to crash and burn too early. With luck he wil get the nomination and the circus can really get going!

On the other hand and all joking apart I do genuinely feel for the American people who haven't got anyone to really turn around the problems that the country faces. I hope that they can come out of this stronger and start to re-capture their rightful position on the world stage.

Pleased to see that the duck has taken New York and remains a giant thorn in the side of the republican party. No surprise to see your future president Clinton win with ease. I was getting concerned that Trump was going down the pan and that Cruz was going to overtake him. We wouldn't want Donald to crash and burn too early. With luck he wil get the nomination and the circus can really get going!

On the other hand and all joking apart I do genuinely feel for the American people who haven't got anyone to really turn around the problems that the country faces. I hope that they can come out of this stronger and start to re-capture their rightful position on the world stage.

like World Wrestling Federation ?

Trump dominates....

It is clear that Trump may well get the required delegates before the convention.

Tiny Ted is out. Cruz has his tail between his legs and is on the run.

As for Hillary.....this lying, crooked beach is going to be trying to shake off the FBI for a long time to come. I imagine her past will catch up with her...

She is popular with old ladies, and corrupt politicians (with their special interest lobbying groups)...but that will go away. Plenty of dirty panties in her closet...to be sniffed out and put on view.

Your past has caught up with you HRC.....run back to bill.

Edited by slipperylobster

The US doesn't really need to turn around that much, but rather, stay the course. That's why the Dems must win because a Trump or Cruz Presidency would be a complete disaster for the USA. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Mrs. Clinton, I believe she would do the least damage of all the candidates running. It would basically be an Obama 3rd term, which is really what the country needs right now.

Trump dominates....

It is clear that Trump may well get the required delegates before the convention.

Tiny Ted is out. Cruz has his tail between his legs and is on the run.

As for Hillary.....this lying, crooked beach is going to be trying to shake off the FBI for a long time to come. I imagine her past will catch up with her...

She is popular with old ladies, and corrupt politicians (with their special interest lobbying groups)...but that will go away. Plenty of dirty panties in her closet...to be sniffed out and put on view.

Your past has caught up with you HRC.....run back to bill.

How long have we heard this tired old GOP wet dream? HRC will go to jail, HRC will be discredited, bla, bla, bla.

Must be frightening for you teabaggers to face 8 years of her rule after she totally destroys the pompous baboon in the election.

Lol!!

Berkshire I think you are right and Clinton would be the safest pair of hands given the opposition. However how much internal conflict would come from it, such are the divisions within the United States.

There would be divisions regardless. But with a Cruz or Trump, you'd get that along with destructive domestic and foreign policy.

When the Republican candidate loses, which I think he will, in November, that will give impetus to what Republicans do best: drag their heels in Congress. That, coupled with complaining, blaming, and trying in every low-down way to shoot down the president.

Hopefully, the Dem candidate will assist other Dems to get more seats in Congress, so it's less likely to be hamstrung on legislation, thanks to less 'delay, delay, delay' Republicans putting spanners in the spokes.

Republicans could then change their party name to: The Bad Blood Party. It's half the syllables.

When the Republican candidate loses, which I think he will, in November, that will give impetus to what Republicans do best: drag their heels in Congress. That, coupled with complaining, blaming, and trying in every low-down way to shoot down the president.

Hopefully, the Dem candidate will assist other Dems to get more seats in Congress, so it's less likely to be hamstrung on legislation, thanks to less 'delay, delay, delay' Republicans putting spanners in the spokes.

Republicans could then change their party name to: The Bad Blood Party. It's half the syllables.

The Democrats controlled the Senate from 2009 to 2015 but don't let the facts get in your way.biggrin.png

Replace "Republican" with "Democrat" above and the statement would be no less accurate.

They both work for the same masters and their goal is to preserve the financial and personal perks enjoyed by the political class. The whole good cop/bad cop, left/right paradigm is pure theater for the bovine masses. Might have meant something tangible once....but not anymore

Looks like the main attraction now will be how Reince Priebus and his handlers decide to play this hand.

If the past is anything to go by, it will be slowly and likely too late.

The GOP loses no matter what they do. I think they are a lot less concerned with losing the election next November than how they can preserve the lucrative 2 party arrangement. The Oligarchs are fine with Clinton but know it is far easier to manage and cheaper to buy the loyalty and services of two parties rather than expanding to three....... or more.

The Democrats controlled the Senate from 2009 to 2015 but don't let the facts get in your way.biggrin.png

It takes 2 houses of Congress to pass legislation. The Republicans have controlled the House of Representatives since 2011. But don't let the Constitution get in your way.

It takes 2 houses of Congress to pass legislation. The Republicans have controlled the House of Representatives since 2011. But don't let the Constitution get in your way.

If you were an American you would know the Democrats controlled the house from 2007 to 2011. Before a bill becomes a law it must pass both houses of Congress and signed into law by the President. It may begin its journey at any time, but it must be passed during the same congressional session of its proposal, a period of one year. If it does not complete the process, it is dropped, and can only be revived through reintroduction and going through the whole process again. Not surprisingly, less that 10% of proposed bills actually become laws. http://www.ushistory.org/gov/6e.asp

If you were an American you would know the Democrats controlled the house from 2007 to 2011. Before a bill becomes a law it must pass both houses of Congress and signed into law by the President. It may begin its journey at any time, but it must be passed during the same congressional session of its proposal, a period of one year. If it does not complete the process, it is dropped, and can only be revived through reintroduction and going through the whole process again. Not surprisingly, less that 10% of proposed bills actually become laws. http://www.ushistory.org/gov/6e.asp

If you were from Planet Earth, you would know that George W. Bush was President from 2001-2009. Like all Presidents. George W. Bush had the power of the veto. If you don't believe me, you can look it up in a document called The Constitution of the United States. But don't let that get in your way.

Not to worry.

The Bloviator Trump, will never become President of the United States.

These polls are just misleading.

No indication of any winner can be worked out....as the future is unclear. Hillary will be invited by the FBI, and then it's anyone's guess. Perhaps she will decline in popularity.

Secondly...people don't vote for Presidents...not even candidates. Popular vote, as we have seen, means absolutely nothing. Parties run their behind the scenes handshaking. Popular vote does not mean your president gets elected, based on unanimous popular voting. Electoral votes do not, necessarily, reflect the wishes of the entire population (of any given state).

It's just too early to tell.

Trump could very well be President. Hillary could very well turn unpopular....a National Emergency could allow for a third term for Obama (yes, it could).

Lets not try to be fortune tellers.

I hate to quote myself, but you'll see the sentence, "Hopefully, the Dem candidate will assist other Dems to get more seats in Congress,"

I didn't mention the words 'majority' or 'controlled'. I could have used the word 'added' instead of 'more' before the word 'seats.' Read and learn.

Be that as it may, the most that Republicans have done in Congress during recent years is DRAG THEIR FEET. It's ironic that Trump gains so much traction when he says Washington insiders are the problem. .....yet it's the Republican insiders and career politicians who are the problem. Democrats are trying to get legislation passed to improve Americans' lives. The most Republicans do is (to quote The Donald); "delay, delay, delay" .....while calling names and slinking over to toe-tapping sessions in airport bathrooms.

No indication of any winner can be worked out....as the future is unclear. Hillary will be invited by the FBI, and then it's anyone's guess. Perhaps she will decline in popularity.

It's entirely possible HRC will have to answer questions by the FBI. she's already handled many hours of questioning by Congress and shown herself to be cool under pressure. Entirely different than The Donald, who gets re-faced, name-calling angry at just one off-color question. Added to that, Trump is difficult to question when the questions aren't padded with praise for him. He often shouts interruptions, "Excuse me! Excuse me! Excuse me!..." and just as often obfuscates and/or runs off on off-topic rambles. If you wanna play tit for tat, it will be interesting if/when Trump gets called in court to address problems from his false-University. .....and what about Donald's missing tax returns ....for the past 3 years?

Congratulations to the biggest WINNER of the night, the next president of the United States: HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON who basically wrapped up the nomination in New York.

post-37101-0-94642600-1461232766_thumb.j

Sorry Bernie fans, you may need to tend to your BERN wounds.

Edited by Jingthing

It's entirely possible HRC will have to answer questions by the FBI. she's already handled many hours of questioning by Congress and shown herself to be cool under pressure. Entirely different than The Donald, who gets re-faced, name-calling angry at just one off-color question. Added to that, Trump is difficult to question when the questions aren't padded with praise for him. He often shouts interruptions, "Excuse me! Excuse me! Excuse me!..." and just as often obfuscates and/or runs off on off-topic rambles. If you wanna play tit for tat, it will be interesting if/when Trump gets called in court to address problems from his false-University. .....and what about Donald's missing tax returns ....for the past 3 years?

Unless the FBI goes to Lynch and completely clears Clinton of any problematic issues...including exercising poor judgement, then Obama isn't going to allow the FBI/DOJ to conclude this "investigation" under his Presidency. It will likely be tossed to Clinton to bury after next January.

As far as her testimony to Congress, it was a choreographed, theatrical, dog & pony show meant for consumption by the bovine masses. Both sides had the script well in advance.

Congratulations to the biggest WINNER of the night, the next president of the United States: HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON who basically wrapped up the nomination in New York.

Sorry Bernie fans, you may need to tend to your BERN wounds.

Why is it that the Left continue to predict the future with such unabashed certainty? Is it because of their intellectual superiority, their moral righteousness, their higher education, their ideological idealism, their study of prophesy, their exclusive qualities of prediction learnt from astrology? Wish fulfilment by psychological group dynamics?

Or is it simply repeating over and over to convince yourself? Therapy is available if you're over anxious.

Seriously no one knows even if perchance you happen to be right. Personally I would never wish to have egg on my face. As Slipperylobster has already said a post or two back, "Lets not try to be fortune tellers."

Jing

Unless the FBI goes to Lynch and completely clears Clinton of any problematic issues...including exercising poor judgement, then Obama isn't going to allow the FBI/DOJ to conclude this "investigation" under his Presidency. It will likely be tossed to Clinton to bury after next January.

As far as her testimony to Congress, it was a choreographed, theatrical, dog & pony show meant for consumption by the bovine masses. Both sides had the script well in advance.

Exactly. Obama has said the mishandling of classified material is not necessarily a criminal offense. Obama calls Snowden a traitor for leaking documents while excuses Clinton for selling influence as Secretary of state to up to 20 foreign governments. Her department approved of $165 billion worth of arms sales to Clinton Foundation donors.Why is that not corruption and an imprisonable offense? Why is not that cash stream from foreign government not a matter of national security? Huh?

At the end of the day a Democratic victory is more important than the rule of law.

Clinton won't release her closed door transcripts to Goldman Sachs speeches she made at a $675,000 price tag because she says nobody is interested. She could release them to dispel the notion that it's not an insider game. But she won't because they would be damning. Releasing them would show how much she is in their influence. If Trump becomes the nominee the bankers will be backing Hillary with unlimited finance to ensure her Presidency. They do not want to be at risk by Trump. The corruption in government is rife. Obama is even seeking an 18 % tax free increase in pay for past Presidents after he leaves the White House.

Never mind shuddering at Trump as a previous thread asked. Shudder already.

http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/something-else-clinton-is-hiding-is-enough-to-wipe-out-her-campaign/

Edited by Linzz