Grid locked Suk highway north Pattaya

loppylugs1

Hard to put descriptive terminology to events last night,or night before,to see here it was to believe it. More than tens of thousands,hundreds of thousands ,heady mix of hot night, heavy trance music blaring out and booze taking a hand,the inner sois in Pattaya itself would not compete.

uncontrolled mayhem,there could not possible be another country on earth that carries such a simplistic pleasure to these extremes and now like a light switch ,turned off for another year,likened to it never happened.

Little wonder the then editor of the Nation newspaper screamed out that Thais were 50 years behind their counterparts of neighboring countries through lack of colonisation,there was far more primitive motives at work. Gridlock was total for miles ,ambulance could not get through ,same same police,Thais themselves trying to escape it all,U turns a-plenty. Stuck in a car bad enough,pockets of it could and would have been frightening to farang as night progressed and booze took more of a hand,just what is up with these people?

Yes, anyone in his right mind simply does not travel on holidays here. Bizarrely I went to BigC on Klang late morning on the 16th and Sukumvit was completely deserted, as was the shop itself. I must remember that one for next year.

The editor of the Nation was right though: colonisation would have done Thailand a lot of good, and probably still would.

I hear that Singapore is a more user friendly location for westerners that crave structure, infrastructure, and normality.

However, I find the mayhem that enshrouds Thailand is one of the country's more appealing traits.

Roll on Songkran 2560. thumbsup.gif

I hear that Singapore is a more user friendly location for westerners that crave structure, infrastructure, and normality.

However, I find the mayhem that enshrouds Thailand is one of the country's more appealing traits.

You are welcome to it, and the massive corruption that is the counterpoint of that mayhem (in the end it all boils down to selfishness and the lack of law enforcement).

Personally, all other things being equal I would much rather live in Singapore than here but accommodation prices there are just plain silly and they have no simple long term visa for retirees.

It was the first time I've ventured forth along Thepprasit and then Sukhumvit on the 19th, and I could not believe it. Big tents pitched in the road to provide shade, water tankers everywhere providing fill ups, and thousands upon thousands of people all going water crazy. They just don't seem to care about anything, I saw one guy throw water over a motorcyclist who promptly crashed straight into him. They both got up, smiled and said sawatdeekrup, and then went back to what they were doing. I was coming out of soi 5 onto Thepprasit, very slowly as it was chocker with people, and a woman suddenly walked backwards straight into the front of my car. I hit her a light blow in spite of braking, but she didn't even seem to notice it. Totally mad, but the did all look like they were having a great time.

Why does the OP feel the need to post this? everybody already knows this is how it is every year at this time!!

Probably just wants to bemoan the supposed need for colonisation. OP hates Thailand and for years has been claiming he's moving to the former colonial power of Portugal but he won't leave. wink.png

But agreed. The gridlock is standard and is addressed in the FAQ. There's even a little box devoted the ambulance issue. Can't format it correctly here:

-------------

Gridlock and Medical Emergencies

banlamung4.jpg

Banglamung Hospital

sawangfa2.jpg

Wat Sawangfa Crematorium

Bad timing, pal. Bad. Well, maybe you'll make it. Or maybe later we'll hear our commentards snigger that you should have known better, RIP.

I was transported to emergency via ambulance last night. Sukumwit was a mess, a Thai said "Thailand does not have good heart" as cars refused to clear the road for an ambulance with sirens and flashing lights.

ThaiBob, 2015-05-04 17:11:19

Good luck!

------------------

Given the closing of Beach Rd. to traffic it looks as though the main "party" is now the gridlock itself.

And that my friends is why any of us long term stayers , stay home open up a can of beer or a glass of wine and take it easy , now this morning , my car is not covered in crap and i can drive down to the shops quietly . until next year .thumbsup.gif

After so many years I just learned that this "extra Songkran" is called "wan lai", the "flowing day(s)".

Ironically the "flowing" does not refer to traffic tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

All's dry in Jakarta...back in Patters tonite about midnite...avoided all the madness this year ?

What many do who can afford biggrin.png

Judging by the double-parked rows of cars on all levels of all 3 short-tem carparks at Suvarnabhumi as well as the huge amount in the normally empty long-term parking stands, seems like a whole lotta local people can afford to escape the country for Songkran.

"..uncontrolled mayhem,there could not possible be another country on earth that carries such a simplistic pleasure to these extremes..."

One suspects the OP has a rather limted view of the world. Such displays are common all across the world. Mardi Gras in New Orleans and the Carnival in Rio are two examples that dwarf Songkran in Pattaya. Others include Bike Week in Daytona or even St. Patrick day in Savannah. The Beer Festival in Munich is suppose to be pretty wild.

It seems that the endless negative posts on TV say a lot more about the posters then how bad Songkran really is.

TH

Bad timing, pal. Bad. Well, maybe you'll make it. Or maybe later we'll hear our commentards snigger that you should have known better, RIP.

I was transported to emergency via ambulance last night. Sukumwit was a mess, a Thai said "Thailand does not have good heart" as cars refused to clear the road for an ambulance with sirens and flashing lights.

ThaiBob, 2015-05-04 17:11:19

Good luck!

As I mentioned, it all boils down to Thai selfishness.

"..uncontrolled mayhem,there could not possible be another country on earth that carries such a simplistic pleasure to these extremes..."

One suspects the OP has a rather limted view of the world. Such displays are common all across the world. Mardi Gras in New Orleans and the Carnival in Rio are two examples that dwarf Songkran in Pattaya. Others include Bike Week in Daytona or even St. Patrick day in Savannah. The Beer Festival in Munich is suppose to be pretty wild.

It seems that the endless negative posts on TV say a lot more about the posters then how bad Songkran really is.

TH

Which one GA or TN? Go further, tiddleywinks championship Arbroath,nothing mentioned here comes close to events mentioned last night. yes did mow couple of zombie like figures down,but got back up again,headlight hunting now

They might dwarf Songkran Pattaya,but nowhere near as close as intensity or potential injury /problems caused

All's dry in Jakarta...back in Patters tonite about midnite...avoided all the madness this year ?

What many do who can afford biggrin.png

When I was at school Jakarta was spelt with a D at the front. Anyone else remember that or is my senile brain imagining t?

TH

Which one GA or TN? Go further, tiddleywinks championship Arbroath,nothing mentioned here comes close to events mentioned last night. yes did mow couple of zombie like figures down,but got back up again,headlight hunting now

They might dwarf Songkran Pattaya,but nowhere near as close as intensity or potential injury /problems caused

Savannah Georgia 2016

post-7298-0-66792500-1461146203_thumb.jp

Songran should be 3 days everywhere in Thailand. Pattaya seems to feel they are a law unto their own. As a result of this madness- most of the markets are low on food because no one can deliver. Where in the World does essential items not get delivered and essential services shut down for a period of 5-10 days. How much productivity is lost and how much water wasted. Thailand is a Third World country . Sadly, it will always be and the majority of its population always poor. They have wonderful people in Thailand but with no responsibility or law- what you see is what you get. The Mardi Gras in New Orleans and Rio do not even come close to the madness of Songkran- I've been to both.

Songran should be 3 days everywhere in Thailand. Pattaya seems to feel they are a law unto their own. As a result of this madness- most of the markets are low on food because no one can deliver. Where in the World does essential items not get delivered and essential services shut down for a period of 5-10 days. How much productivity is lost and how much water wasted. Thailand is a Third World country . Sadly, it will always be and the majority of its population always poor. They have wonderful people in Thailand but with no responsibility or law- what you see is what you get. The Mardi Gras in New Orleans and Rio do not even come close to the madness of Songkran- I've been to both.

To be fair Pattaya does only celebrate the 3 days of Songkran.

Its the added Lan Wai (or whatever it is called) days that <deleted> it all up.

It's not that Pattaya's mayhem prevents deliveries for 5-10 days. Since the whole Songkran things rolls from north to south over about 10 days, the whole country goes on standby. A few years back, I had a truck due for delivery end of first week of April but we already knew that it would be after Songkran. Similarly, I was shopping for a computer part in Udon around 10th of April this year and when I asked when anything ordered that day would be delivered, the staff chorused 'after Songkran'. I'm not a Songkran fanboy but In that regard, I reckon Pattaya is quite smart in extending their wet days to the fullest extent versus the poor punter in Nakhon Nowhere who, after a couple of days madness, has to sit around staring at empty shelves.

Amen to this bro,Amen to this

Amen to this bro,Amen to this

I don't suppose that the authorities have ever put it together that one of the main reasons for the carnage on the roads every year is due to people rushing to or back from the Songkran parties at either where their family's live or where they live

I used to live in a state in the US where every municipality set the drinking times so you had a situation where when it got close to closing in one town drinkers would get in their cars and go to the next town over to make "last call". There was even one bar that was built on the dividing line between two towns so all the bartender had to do was move all the partons to the other end of the bar when closing time came in one town

The State finally came in and standardised the closing times statewide and drunk driving deaths dropped by almost 50%

I don't suppose that the authorities have ever put it together that one of the main reasons for the carnage on the roads every year is due to people rushing to or back from the Songkran parties at either where their family's live or where they live

To lower the death toll they should make songkran a 365 day event as there is less than the average deaths during this so called 7 deadly days.