Retirement extension 2016 - latest requirements

sonos99

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That must have been a mistake as extensions are always added to the expiry date of your current permision to stay.

You should have pointed out the mistake to them and they would have changed it.

Exactly - clearly an error by the issuing officer. For many years now I apply for my annual extension 30 days in advance and I have never lost a single day.

Incorrect - all extensions are dated from the day the current visa or extension expires. No days are ever lost ... period

Of course, my passport must be lying.

attachicon.gifstamps.jpg

The top photo is for an extension based on "Thai wife".

When those extensions are made, you are given a "free" stay in the Kingdom for 30 days after your extension expires. Your "return visit" to Immigration is always 30 days after the current extension expires, regardless of when you make the first visit.

When you get the extension, it is good for 11 months from the date of your second visit.

I would guess the bottom photo is for an extension based upon retirement.

i had a re entry permit issued in Patong,

last month flew to Myanmar and coming back they stamped my passport a month before the ( what i thought was ) up to date,

seems Patong put the wrong date,

they took me to a room in DM and the official called phuket an spoke to the officer there and than changed the date,

so mistakes happen. mistakes can be corrected.

Hmmmmm.....my re-entry permit and extension expire on the 22nd May.

I flew into Bangok today and insteqad of getting a 90 day entry, I have to leave on the 22nd May.

No problem this time, as I have plenty of time to renew. But if you fly in a day, or two before expiry, you could be stuffed.

No mistake as I also double-checked with the immigration supervisor.

I flew into Bangok today and insteqad of getting a 90 day entry, I have to leave on the 22nd May.

No problem this time, as I have plenty of time to renew. But if you fly in a day, or two before expiry, you could be stuffed.

Why would you expect to get a 90 day entry ?

Extensions of stay are normally valid for one year if issued on the basis of work/marriage/retirement. A re-entry permit has the same expiry date as the extension it relates to. When returning using a re-entry permit you will be stamped in according to the date on the permit.

edit to remove typo

Extensions of stay are normally valid for one year if issued on the basis of marriage/retirement. A re-entry permit has the same expiry date as the extension it relates to. When returning using a re-entry permit you will be stamped in according to the date on the permit.

Exactly correct - all extension only last until the expiry date stamp. A re-entry permit only allows you to preserve that expiry date. Surprised you don't know that KB as you are an old hand here.

Extensions of stay are normally valid for one year if issued on the basis of marriage/retirement. A re-entry permit has the same expiry date as the extension it relates to. When returning using a re-entry permit you will be stamped in according to the date on the permit.

Exactly correct - all extension only last until the expiry date stamp. A re-entry permit only allows you to preserve that expiry date. Surprised you don't know that KB as you are an old hand here.

Nope. Only ever had the one extension. About to renew an extension for the first time, so, it was a complete surprise to me.

More flames and replies have been removed.

From the Forum Rules:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Any more from the main protagonists (you know who you are) and suspensions will be awarded.

Nope. Only ever had the one extension. About to renew an extension for the first time, so, it was a complete surprise to me.

Fair enough KB - I just had assumed (wrongly) that you knew the rules about extensions. It's essential to get the re-entry permit to preserve the existing end date stamp else your extension is cancelled when leaving Thailand. In that case you get a 30 day stamp on entry if no visa pre-arranged. I suspect you had been using Tourist Visas in the past that have a 90 day stamp on entry.

I can see where, if one had been doing visas and visa-exempt before, where this would catch one off-guard.

What is a bit strange, is being in the "under consideration" period for an extension based on marriage (the month following the expiration of the current extension), and being able to get a re-entry permit for that month. A re-entry permit for that month costs the same as one for a year.

That is the way my extension (based on marriage) tends to go....I fly in, make the visit to Immigration for the extension, get the "under consideration, return on mm/dd) stamp. I typically fly out for work during that month, so I immediately get a re-entry permit (single or multiple-entry depending on work). Fly out, fly back to make the "return on date", go to immigration, get the extension for 11 months and a multiple-reentry stamp for the same period

....repeat 10 months later.

Fair enough KB - I just had assumed (wrongly) that you knew the rules about extensions. It's essential to get the re-entry permit to preserve the existing end date stamp else your extension is cancelled when leaving Thailand. In that case you get a 30 day stamp on entry if no visa pre-arranged. I suspect you had been using Tourist Visas in the past that have a 90 day stamp on entry.

Mostly visa exemptions with a run to Penang for the Indian food.

Before my first extension, I was on a Non-Imm O for retirement. One year multiple entry.

Sooo... glad I go the retirement/lump sum route.

I am not sure what retirement/lump sum means.

Do you mean retirement vs marriage? Because each has an income or "lump sum" qualification as financial qualifier.

Think that mean the Elite Card - 500,000 baht gets you 5 years. No need for re-entry permit. Don't need to leave every 90 days. Just need the 90 notification.

Also I assume the 2 million Elite good for life ? is available.

Mostly visa exemptions with a run to Penang for the Indian food.

Before my first extension, I was on a Non-Imm O for retirement. One year multiple entry.

As yes - the Multiple non-imm would stamp you in ror 90 days, but you need to depart Thailand after those 90 days. That would would out well for you as you work away from Thailand.

Do you mean retirement vs marriage? Because each has an income or "lump sum" qualification as financial qualifier.

Yes. Retirement over marriage and 800k rather than 65k a month with the pesky paperwork to support that.

Yes. Retirement over marriage and 800k rather than 65k a month with the pesky paperwork to support that.

I am on marriage extension using the income method (40,000/month minimum).

The "pesky paperwork" consists of a "income statement" from my embassy. All that entails is a visit to embassy and filling out a form in which I state my monthly income and the embassy notarizes my signature. No other paperwork is required.

Right......a visit to the embassy. As I said, "pesky" paperwork, including a trip to Bangkok. No thanks. Lump sum is far more convenient.

I find keeping a sizeable amount of money in a foreign bank to be more pesky than a trip to the embassy...but to each his own.

Both methods work.

Think that mean the Elite Card - 500,000 baht gets you 5 years. No need for re-entry permit. Don't need to leave every 90 days. Just need the 90 notification.

Wow. Cheap laugh.pngcoffee1.gif

Wow. Cheap laugh.pngcoffee1.gif

You can be dripping sarcasm as much as you like. I know a couple of guys who are happy with the Elite solution. Often times I have considered it to bypass the Immigration extension BS. For sure an expensive solution for me, but not for the younger guys under 50.

Just an update on progress with my retirement extension for anyone interested.

My bank statement and letter were supplied by a bank agency in Tesco today, despite main bank branches being closed for the holiday. No dramas, cost 300 baht. Everything is completed and ready for my visit to Immigration tomorrow.

I will concede that next year I should do the deed a week earlier, just to avoid the plethora of public holidays in the week before my extension date. However, I can't see any sense in doing it six weeks early.

I'm also hoping the proposed Australian Consulate General in Phuket materialises before then so I can use the seemingly easier income system.

Arrived at Immigration about 1030. Carpark chockers, parked in a no parking area.

The area for visitor extensions, 90 day reports, etc. seemed very busy, but retirement extensions had just a few clients sitting in the waiting area. They quickly finished up leaving the place empty.

The new office is too small for my wheelchair so I waited outside the door. My paperwork was looked at immediately, all OK. No farang volunteer in the office, all handled by Thai officers. They kept the photocopy of my credit cards, so it's anyone's guess if this is a requirement or not.

I had to sign a form written in Thai, which apparently is an acknowledgement I understood some sort of conditions. I didn't, but signed anyway.

Photo of me was taken outside the door.

No Bangkok style Invasion of Privacy forms evident.

All finished by about 1100, passport not available until tomorrow afternoon.

Overheard an officer telling a Scandinavian tourist, who wanted her passport back early because of travel, that the boss is very busy because he to sign everything from three different areas. It should be ready in time. (No special treatment for urgent cases.)

Happy it is over for another year.

Arrived at Immigration about 1030. Carpark chockers, parked in a no parking area.

The area for visitor extensions, 90 day reports, etc. seemed very busy, but retirement extensions had just a few clients sitting in the waiting area. They quickly finished up leaving the place empty.

The new office is too small for my wheelchair so I waited outside the door. My paperwork was looked at immediately, all OK. No farang volunteer in the office, all handled by Thai officers. They kept the photocopy of my credit cards, so it's anyone's guess if this is a requirement or not.

I had to sign a form written in Thai, which apparently is an acknowledgement I understood some sort of conditions. I didn't, but signed anyway.

Overheard an officer telling a Scandinavian tourist, who wanted her passport back early because of travel, that the boss is very busy because he to sign everything from three different areas. It should be ready in time. (No special treatment for urgent cases.)

Yes, Rm 103 (where the retirement extension is done) is a pretty small room. Glad that they were able to accommodate you in regards to the photograph. There was an English language translation of the Thai document you have to sign inside the office. Sounds like they didn't bring it out to show you. If I remember correctly, the document was just a notification of the new overstay/blacklisting provisions and a reminder not to work on a retirement visa. Only required a signature, I believe. But always nice to know what you're signing ;-) And it was good NOT to see the dreaded 3-page survey given out in Phuket, at least not so far. Picking up the passport the next day seems to go very smoothly. Give them the receipt and they give you back your stamped and signed passport. Arrive when they reopen after lunch at 1 pm and it shouldn't take but a couple minutes. Then good for another year without needing to visit immigration, assuming you don't need a re-entry permit, and can successfully use the online (or mail-in) 90-day report facility. The time spent at immigration is very reasonable now (at least at this time of year) although it's a pain to have to make two trips to get it done.

Yes, Rm 103 (where the retirement extension is done) is a pretty small room. Glad that they were able to accommodate you in regards to the photograph. There was an English language translation of the Thai document you have to sign inside the office. Sounds like they didn't bring it out to show you. If I remember correctly, the document was just a notification of the new overstay/blacklisting provisions and a reminder not to work on a retirement visa. Only required a signature, I believe. But always nice to know what you're signing ;-) And it was good NOT to see the dreaded 3-page survey given out in Phuket, at least not so far. Picking up the passport the next day seems to go very smoothly. Give them the receipt and they give you back your stamped and signed passport. Arrive when they reopen after lunch at 1 pm and it shouldn't take but a couple minutes. Then good for another year without needing to visit immigration, assuming you don't need a re-entry permit, and can successfully use the online (or mail-in) 90-day report facility. The time spent at immigration is very reasonable now (at least at this time of year) although it's a pain to have to make two trips to get it done.

Thanks for the comments.

I do online 90 day reports for a friend, but stuffed if I can make it work for myself. I think it's something to do with my last arrival at a southern land border. The 3 immigration officers all had a go at processing my second arrival on a multi OA, but still stuffed it up.

Not a big problem, my lady passes Patong Immigration often, so she does my reports when needed. Quick service there.

• 1 month later...

I did my retirement extension on this week. I used the money in bank method.

Arrived at 8.15 and was the first in the queue.

I provided the following documents.

Completed TM7

Passport

Bank book

Letter from Bank confirming balance and statement

Photo

Copies of

Passport ID page

Passport all previous retirement extensions

Passport all previous Visas

Passport departure card

Passport notification of residence (paper stamped into passport). This was from last year.

Bank book ID page

Bank book page showing balance

My signature was required on all copies.

Fee baht 1,900

I also had copies of Thai debit card but this wasn't required. I also had copies of lease etc to prove my residence but these were not required.

Very quick was finished in 20mins. You have to pick up your passport the next day after 1pm.

Any current changes from this?

Also, some conflicting info on "Res. Cert." Mine was issued last July, and I'm going tomorrow for Retirement Extension. My address has not changed. I think I'm good? Any new news on that?

Archived