Long term medication

uksomchai

Hi, It seems like I am going to be taking the medication prescribed by my doctor here in the UK for the foreseeable future. I was just wondering if it was freely available to buy at any pharmacy back home in Thailand ? Whether it needs to be prescribed by a doctor and the average costs for it.

It is called here AZATHIOPRINE 50mg but a generic copy would be fine.

Many thanks in advance wai2.gif

Not the same medication, but may give you an option if not available over the counter.

I have an under active thyroid and take levothyroxin daily. I brought plenty of tablets from the UK and a letter from my UK doctor.

Tried local pharmacies and got a mixture of 'no have' and 'cannot'.

Went to the local government hospital, armed with the letter and a strip of tablets. No problem.

They check my blood every 6 months (about 650 baht) and I get tablets every 3 months (about 200 baht).

Also, have a look at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762176-is-prescribed-medication-in-thailand-available-and-affordable-to-a-farang/

This particular medication is a "special controlled drug" and cannot be sold without a prescription. In Thailand, very few pharmacies sell prescription-only medications and they usually have to be obtained from a hospital pharmacy, for which you first have to see a doctor on staff at the hospital. This would be especially true of azathioprine, since it is not in very wide use. It will need to be a large hospital in a major urban center as well as smaller ones may not stock it.

Be sure to bring a medical summary with you explaining why the drug has been prescribed as this will facilitate getting a script. In addition, if you did not already have health insurance, be sure to get it and it needs to be a policy which includes coverage for "acute exacerbations" or pre-existing conditions....as the cost of the med is not the only thing to be concerned about. You could well need hospitalization either due to a flare-up of the condition being treated or to a complication of this therapy.

This particular medication is a "special controlled drug" and cannot be sold without a prescription. In Thailand, very few pharmacies sell prescription-only medications and they usually have to be obtained from a hospital pharmacy, for which you first have to see a doctor on staff at the hospital. This would be especially true of azathioprine, since it is not in very wide use. It will need to be a large hospital in a major urban center as well as smaller ones may not stock it.

Be sure to bring a medical summary with you explaining why the drug has been prescribed as this will facilitate getting a script. In addition, if you did not already have health insurance, be sure to get it and it needs to be a policy which includes coverage for "acute exacerbations" or pre-existing conditions....as the cost of the med is not the only thing to be concerned about. You could well need hospitalization either due to a flare-up of the condition being treated or to a complication of this therapy.

+ 1

This medication is an immunosuppressive agent which has a number of known side effects and it can interact unfavorably with a range of other medications and some vaccines. (Your UK pharmacist will provide you with a list of the side effects/interactions)

It is very important you bring a medical summery with you and if (I hope you do not!) you become unwell while in Thailand then seek the opinion of a doctor based in one of the larger hospitals and make sure s/he reads your medical summery.

Thanks Sheryl. I was hoping you would pop up biggrin.png I have the insurance in place so just wanted to get a heads up about availability or whether to bring several months supply with me. I presume that a hospital in Roi Et would be able to give me a script ? Thanks again peep's thumbsup.gif

I am doubtful re a hospital in Roi Et will have this, as anyone needing it would generally be referred up to a regional level facility, the nearest one being Khon Kaen. Reasonably sure KKU University Hospital will have it.