Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

A very nice morning, not as cold as the last few days once the sun was up.

12c on the back deck.

Very little nudity occurs on my deck, the coffee maker is kept out there and splashes or spills could be dangerous.

Umm, so there has been the odd case of nudity then. More power to you then :)

12c on the back deck.

Very little nudity occurs on my deck, the coffee maker is kept out there and splashes or spills could be dangerous.

Umm, so there has been the odd case of nudity then. More power to you then smile.png

Always a mad scramble looking for a towel after they have all disappeared out of the bathroom. (Never noticed until AFTER the shower). tongue.png

• Like 1

12c on the back deck.

Umm, so there has been the odd case of nudity then. More power to you then smile.png

Always a mad scramble looking for a towel after they have all disappeared out of the bathroom. (Never noticed until AFTER the shower). tongue.png

Too bad if the balcony door is one of those that locks behind you like hotel rooms do.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/naked-man-runs-through-hotel-video_n_2767265.html

I like the 20+ mornings and the 30+ days. xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.HP_JpdOU4y.webp

Or at least I think I do at the moment. xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.WVYpdUy2j0.webp

I'm still stuck in thinking in Farenheit.

Don't your former countrymen still measure in feet and inches as well? laugh.png

Yes, feet and inches, though even Thais do that. They switch between the two standards all the time. Plus, many construction materials are sold in feet and inches. One thing Thais do is, they don't say feet for more than one foot. In other words, they would say 5 foot, instead of 5 feet.

Brits still use 'stone' for weight, and measure a horse's height in 'hands' don't they? It conjures up the image, at the beginning of Shakespeare's Macbeth, of little old ladies gossiping around a heated cauldron, taking turns stirring the brew.

Only us oldies, we're stuck with what we learned in school but another generation and it will be like measuring in cubits.

Actually Thais do still use cubits for building houses. I have had a couple built that way. They call it a sawk and it is the length of the forearm and fingers from the back of the elbow to the tip of the middle finger. Just like King Solomon's temple in the bible.

They just pick up a scrap of bamboo off the floor, put the end at their elbow, palm upwards and break off the bamboo at the tip of the middle finger. Thats it! An instant builder's ruler. 4 sawk make 1 wah.

http://www.isaan-house.com/tools/thai-units-of-measurement-and-weight

Edited by Sirius1935

I think your builder just knew how much of his arm was 50 centimeters, which is a sawk. But I assume that before it was standardized, arm length was everyone's measuring tape.

I have on occasion needed to buy wood and found it very unusual that they had trouble understanding if I ordered in meters, but if you ask for it in sawk there is no problem. I guess the saw mill guys have trouble dividing by 2. I couldn't a three meter board, but no problem getting 6 sawk.

• Like 1

If I buy any planks I'll make sure I go myself then, just measured my sawk and it's exactly 50cm.

The mrs would be lucky to get half the timber I would...

But then they would probably charge me double anyway... laugh.png

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 2

This doesn't have a lot to do with the weather but my timber merchant in Mae Chan charges for timber by the sawk (½ metre) length but charges ฿10 per metre for planing. He can't just add ฿5 per sawk to the cost of the timber to include planing. That doesn't make sense.

The buildings that I have had constructed measured in sawk were just that. The forearm and finger length. 1 sawk didn't equate to 50 cm exactly nearer 48 cm. Still 8 sawk was plenty big enough.

• 2 weeks later...