Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

We just got the power back on after yesterdays tempest. We got some pretty big hail and lots of trees down, Including a lightning struck tree that exploded in the middle but still managed to fall across the power lines. Drove through hail three times on the way home and I am quite surprised that my truck doesn't look like a golf ball today.

Well, looks like the weather people were on the money as we got the hail they were forecasting. In fact there was so much, and the wind so strong, that I had hail piles up about 4 inches deep on the side of my house! Even now, 1.5 hours later, there are still some piles of hail remaining in the yard! Fortunately, no hail damage to the house or car!

Hard to believe, but walked outside this morning and there is STILL ice on the ground next to my house where the hail had piled up in a thick layer! We're talking more than 14 hours after the storm! Must not have been a very warm night last night.

post-171103-0-74634800-1396745245_thumb.
post-171103-0-30697000-1396745161_thumb.
  • Like 1

You guys were lucky if your house had no damage. This is my MIL house and the local market in Wiang Chai area. The whole village is like this. Dozens of roofs trashed.

The hail storm hit about 6pm yesterday.

post-18801-0-34491100-1396764913_thumb.jpost-18801-0-40939300-1396764896_thumb.jpost-18801-0-90901300-1396764924_thumb.jpost-18801-0-00198100-1396764951_thumb.j

• Like 1

You guys were lucky if your house had no damage. This is my MIL house and the local market in Wiang Chai area. The whole village is like this. Dozens of roofs trashed.

attachicon.gifhail CR.jpgattachicon.gif1083748144493.jpgattachicon.gif1083738222043.jpgattachicon.gifhail cr2.jpg

Wiang Nuea received its share of damage as well. The government inspectors have been out taking photos and notes of the roofing damage to homes.

attachicon.gifhail CR.jpgattachicon.gif1083748144493.jpgattachicon.gif1083738222043.jpgattachicon.gifhail cr2.jpg

Wiang Nuea received its share of damage as well. The government inspectors have been out taking photos and notes of the roofing damage to homes.

Does anyone know what help Government local or national is likely to provide? Perhaps from similar incidents in the past?

The officials stated to my mother in law that they will supply 340+ replacement tiles for our roof.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Does anyone know what help Government local or national is likely to provide? Perhaps from similar incidents in the past?

The officials stated to my mother in law that they will supply 340+ replacement tiles for our roof.

I can't find the post but someone mentioned the government will only replace with the old style fiber-crete (my words) type tile. In our case that is incorrect. The government officials stated we would be getting the same tiles. We just have to pay for the installation from a local vendor. Sounds good to me.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

We had a huge storm yesterday at about 1720. Very strong winds, heavy rain and a little hail. A lot of damage to the village. It lasted for about 45 minutes. Lost power for about 8 hours. Had some damage to our house but not too bad. Satellite dish did not survive.

Apologies all,

I need to retract / update 'the replacing my house tiles' comment. I have since found out that our Aussie tiled roof survived virtually unscathed ( a couple of chipped tiles). It was the granny flat (sic: house) that was mortared by the hail. I gently reminded my lovely wife that when she says 'the house', to me means the main house and not the granny flat in the back. The granny flat in the back has the fibro-crete style tiles which the government is replacing in the next few days.

Cheers,

Garry

Rain rain and more rain last night. Even came through the downstairs ceiling. I think it was blowing in through the door upstairs with the horizontal rain. Will have to get someone to go upstairs and check today.

As they say: "It never rains till it pours."

One bonus...the dogs were very grateful for being allowed to sleep inside.

Violent storm here last night, horizontal wind, hail and rain. Outside things are all over the place, and the vent blew off our under stairs cupboard and everything in there is soaked!

Mrs Lannaman and son are at the village, the girls went out clubbing so I'm alone to clear things up a bit. Teaching this morning so will leave most of clearing up to them.