Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good day for soup.... couple of chicken pieces out of the freezer, some old veggies from the back of the fridge, bunch of celery fortunately bought last week from the Royal Project shop.

Handful of macaroni noodles added and a can of Campbell's Chicken Broth, left to simmer the afternoon away.

Good day for soup.... couple of chicken pieces out of the freezer, some old veggies from the back of the fridge, bunch of celery fortunately bought last week from the Royal Project shop.

Handful of macaroni noodles added and a can of Campbell's Chicken Broth, left to simmer the afternoon away.

I'll bring the loaf (un sliced).

:)

I'll bring the loaf (un sliced).

:)

I'll bring a spoon :D

Okay, I am now positive that our chickens are aliens. Yesterday it was 8○c, drizzling rain and a breeze, so maybe even cooler wind chill wise. I walk outside on our upstairs veranda and I see the Rooster and several of his girlfriends clucking away and rooting up the ground for snacks. I know the feathers give them some insulation, but they looked half drowned. Well they're still here today, so I guess they breed them tough up this way. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this is the correct forum for this question. I am arriving in Chiang Rai on March 5, and will staying in town for six days. My question is the weather in the Chiang Rai, especially the air quality, and specifically the problem of burning smoke. I understand this is the time for the burning. I am sensitive to this and wondered how bad the haze will be for the time I will be there. Will I need to wear a mask, and if I do will it help? I have checked the various web sites for air quality across Thailand, and it appears now the quality is green to yellow, which is acceptable according to the experts. In summary, does anybody have a good educated guess as to what I will probably experience during my time in Chiang Rai between March 5-11. Thanks in advance!

Richard

I hope this is the correct forum for this question. I am arriving in Chiang Rai on March 5, and will staying in town for six days. My question is the weather in the Chiang Rai, especially the air quality, and specifically the problem of burning smoke. I understand this is the time for the burning. I am sensitive to this and wondered how bad the haze will be for the time I will be there. Will I need to wear a mask, and if I do will it help? I have checked the various web sites for air quality across Thailand, and it appears now the quality is green to yellow, which is acceptable according to the experts. In summary, does anybody have a good educated guess as to what I will probably experience during my time in Chiang Rai between March 5-11. Thanks in advance!

Richard

I'm in the small minority on this, but I don't think the smoke is so awful. Smog and chemical fumes are worse. One exacerbates the other.

After a particularly wet summer (monsoon season), the ensuing smoke problem is worse. The reason: a wetter monsoon gets weeds growing on steroids, and there is therefore much more stuff to burn. Now, we're coming off a relatively dry monsoon, so brush thickness/height is less than average.

No one can predict the weather or air quality three weeks out but chances are it won’t be good. Things took a turn for the worse recently and you could see a big difference from one day to the next. While there is a regional problem it can often be much worse in a given area if they are burning at that time. Where we live there are more fires started in the late afternoon so it gets worse around that time of day.

Spending more time indoors or in a vehicle and wearing a mask when you feel the need is the best advice I can give considering you say you are sensitive to this.

Richard

For what it's worth last year March 5 was the day that i gave up my daily walk as the smoke had gotten so bad that I decided it was healthier to not do the walk.

I tried the mask thing but just never felt it did much.

In my area I am beginning to see the haze build up but right this moment the air is still pretty good....but ....who knows what next week may bring....but to answer your question my guess is march 5 to 11 will be a lot of smoke and haze.

In my view, noise pollution is a bigger problem than air pollution - in this region. One makes me cough, but the other is a psychic type of problem.

As a side note: When the US army had the Panamanian dictator Noriega holed up in a building, what means did they use to force him to go out? They didn't try smoking him out. Instead they set up amps and speakers and blared loud music. After a while, Noriega was forced to exit and surrender. And for those who are quick to say, "if you don't like it here, leave!" I am making plans to leave - not necessarily the country, but certainly the region I'm at where various types of noise pollution are attacking from all sides. Are Thai people purposefully rude about noise, or just ignorant that their awful noise is painfully bothersome to others? You tell me.

Quite good rain last night, cleared the air nicely.

A triumph for the cleverness of farangs when I predicted it yesterday and was scoffed at because "the TV only says 10% chance".... cool.png

Yes I was the only one saying it would rain too, I am sure that earned a small hat feather.

Nice to hear the rain and funder ( I call it funder so my daughter isn't scared of it) last night.

Apparently the wet weather will hang a round a while too.

Ooh just started raining as I typed the last sentence.

Archived