kal147

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

How bad is the smog so far this year? 

Mountains in distance not clear like in January; but weather up here supposedly not as polluted this year.  However, for the past 2 weeks I've had a never ending cough & mild headaches which I'm 100% sure is related to the underlying small particles in bad air.  Same thing happens to me every March up here.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Anyone get any weather lately? It tried to rain here the other day. Air quality is still non fatal.

Early this morning it looked like rain but nothing eventuated. My biggest surprise was the lack of smoke haze today. It was great.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday & today, we're getting the type of windy rain lasting half hour (late afternoon) which we usually get in May, at beginning of monsoon season.  So, not only is spring sprung earlier each successive year (flowering and fruiting about a week earlier each year), but so is are windiest storms earlier.    It's all fine with me.  I love storms, .....unless a tree falls on me (or someone) or someone's house, which has happened in years past.

Sonkran in 2.5 weeks away and I dread it.   I thought to get away by going to southern Thailand or Burma or Cambodia or Laos, but the insanity spreads to those places also.  I wouldn't mind Songkran if it lasted 1 to 3 days, and/or just involved youngsters.   The problem is, it sucks everyone in, so there are more injuries, more fatalities, more people drenched, when they show up for work, more ruined cameras/phones, more ruined vacations, more infections/pink eye from dirty water.  

Yes, every year, there are letters to the editor of the Post and Nation which tell about tourists coming here, stepping outside their hotel on their first foray into Thailand, getting accosted with a bucket of water thrown full force by a strong young laughing man (they're everywhere), and then the tourist(s) leaving the next day, swearing never to set foot in Thailand again.  And they're the lucky ones.   The unlucky ones are those who are thrown off their motorbikes and either seriously injured or killed.

I was driving my pick up once, with 3 little girls in the front seat alongside.   Their window was open (it was 2 days before Songkran officially started).  The girls saw the strong young man with a bucket full of water and were quick enough to duck.  I didn't see it coming, so I got hit broadside on the left side of my face with 35 lbs of water.  I nearly swerved off the road into a tree.  It would have been horrible - if the 3 girls got killed.   Instead, I was able to pull over and stop, and nursed a nearly punctured eardrum for 17 minutes.   

Yippee Songkran!!!!   Just hope it's not your son or daughter who becomes one of the 345 people killed this year during the festivities.

10 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Yesterday & today, we're getting the type of windy rain lasting half hour (late afternoon) which we usually get in May, at beginning of monsoon season.  So, not only is spring sprung earlier each successive year (flowering and fruiting about a week earlier each year), but so is are windiest storms earlier.    It's all fine with me.  I love storms, .....unless a tree falls on me (or someone) or someone's house, which has happened in years past.

Sonkran in 2.5 weeks away and I dread it.   I thought to get away by going to southern Thailand or Burma or Cambodia or Laos, but the insanity spreads to those places also.  I wouldn't mind Songkran if it lasted 1 to 3 days, and/or just involved youngsters.   The problem is, it sucks everyone in, so there are more injuries, more fatalities, more people drenched, when they show up for work, more ruined cameras/phones, more ruined vacations, more infections/pink eye from dirty water.  

Yes, every year, there are letters to the editor of the Post and Nation which tell about tourists coming here, stepping outside their hotel on their first foray into Thailand, getting accosted with a bucket of water thrown full force by a strong young laughing man (they're everywhere), and then the tourist(s) leaving the next day, swearing never to set foot in Thailand again.  And they're the lucky ones.   The unlucky ones are those who are thrown off their motorbikes and either seriously injured or killed.

I was driving my pick up once, with 3 little girls in the front seat alongside.   Their window was open (it was 2 days before Songkran officially started).  The girls saw the strong young man with a bucket full of water and were quick enough to duck.  I didn't see it coming, so I got hit broadside on the left side of my face with 35 lbs of water.  I nearly swerved off the road into a tree.  It would have been horrible - if the 3 girls got killed.   Instead, I was able to pull over and stop, and nursed a nearly punctured eardrum for 17 minutes.   

Yippee Songkran!!!!   Just hope it's not your son or daughter who becomes one of the 345 people killed this year during the festivities.

Sonkran in 2.5 weeks away and I dread it.

Songkran is 1 week and 2 days away. It officially start on 13th April 2017

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heavy rain in Phayao today. It lasted about 5 hours. We were in town about 8am and there was some water across the roads then. We were heading to Chiang Rai but changed our minds and returned home. I have seen photos of flooding at the bus station and near the Phayao Ram Hospital. If travelling through Phayao be careful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What a beautiful day. Plenty of rain on and off with sunshine in between. It has now rained continually since about 4 pm. Some was heavy but now is light. Temperature this afternoon was 25 C . Great to sit out on the balcony with a cold beer in hand and watch the rain.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:02 PM, ripstanley said:

What a beautiful day. Plenty of rain on and off with sunshine in between. It has now rained continually since about 4 pm. Some was heavy but now is light. Temperature this afternoon was 25 C . Great to sit out on the balcony with a cold beer in hand and watch the rain.

And listen to it

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 4:57 AM, sceadugenga said:

The cold nights will see the local fauna trying to invade houses for a bit of warmth and food, the new pussy cat is on top of it though and had a good haul last night.

IMG_0222.jpg.55fe17a4003f99b462cbb7e0fb2b015d.jpg

my two dogs are getting quite skilled at getting rats, mice and snakes. My wife tells me they've been rather busy the last week or so. :)

Archived