More evidence points to 500 deaths off Libyan coast

webfact

More evidence points to 500 deaths off Libyan coast
By Robert Hackwill

606x341_330562.jpg

"We have seen the number of people crossing from Libya into Italy increase dramatically"

TRIPOLI: -- More light has been thrown on a still-unconfirmed migrant tragedy in the Mediterranean, but survivors picked up by a merchant ship just landed in Greece have been telling their stories. Last weekend reports of 400 people drowning came in, but it may be worse.

“It’s not clear how many people were on the boat when it sank. Eyewitness accounts talk about up to 500 people. In recent weeks, we have seen the number of people crossing from Libya into Italy increase dramatically and we fear that this is the beginning of the good season. The weather is getting better in the Mediterranean and more people will attempt to cross,” said the UNHCR’s William Spindler.

The 41 survivors included Somalis, Ethiopians, Egyptians, and a Sudanese man. They said they were on a boat carrying 200 people when it met a larger crowded vessel in the open sea, which sank as traffickers were moving people from their boat onto it. They then drifted alone without food for days until being rescued.

If confirmed it is one of the worst single drowning incidents since the start of the refugee crisis, and it fell on Sunday, the first anniversary of the worst, which killed 800.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-21

How deep is the blood Merkel is standing in now?

Yeah, she is the problem!

Not the murderous US- policy, not the war- parties in Syria, not world-wide poverty and for sure not the fascists and ueber-right, who want all borders closed and even would like to shoot at refugees at the border!

It is definately the fault of those, who seek to help and minimize casualties and suffering!

What a stupid comment!

Not the murderous US- policy, not the war- parties in Syria, not world-wide poverty and for sure not the fascists and ueber-right, who want all borders closed and even would like to shoot at refugees at the border!

It is definately the fault of those, who seek to help and minimize casualties and suffering!

What a stupid comment!

Blaming US policy, world-wide poverty and the uber-right is both wrong, and intellectually lazy. Islam is responsible for making muslims so very unhappy and vengeful. Always did always will, it is just the nature of the beast. If I were in charge the whole sorry cult would be banned - it causes nothing but trouble. Human kind has evolved so much in the last couple of thousand years, going back to the stone age is just not an option for most free thinkers.

These mass deaths occurred solely because Merkel (acting illegally) invited the haters to Germany for her own reasons, reasons she has never explained at all - and no there is not such a dire shortage of labour in Germany that they need to mass import dole bludgers. It is a ridiculous argument.

What a stupid comment!

Blaming US policy, world-wide poverty and the uber-right is both wrong, and intellectually lazy. Islam is responsible for making muslims so very unhappy and vengeful. Always did always will, it is just the nature of the beast. If I were in charge the whole sorry cult would be banned - it causes nothing but trouble. Human kind has evolved so much in the last couple of thousand years, going back to the stone age is just not an option for most free thinkers.

These mass deaths occurred solely because Merkel (acting illegally) invited the haters to Germany for her own reasons, reasons she has never explained at all - and no there is not such a dire shortage of labour in Germany that they need to mass import dole bludgers. It is a ridiculous argument.

Wooooooooohhh...one more for the ignore list!

I feel so sorry for the poor children ,killed by their parents,who were to afraid to stay and fight for their country ,like our fathers did,when we were under attack, just want to come to the west where our forefathers built something to be proud of just to scrounge of it ,even though they do not like or want to integrate with us ,and to all the lefty hand wringers ,don't bother to answer ,I and most of the rest of us are not interested ,"talk to the hand"

I feel so sorry for the poor children ,killed by their parents,who were to afraid to stay and fight for their country ,like our fathers did,when we were under attack, just want to come to the west where our forefathers built something to be proud of just to scrounge of it ,even though they do not like or want to integrate with us ,and to all the lefty hand wringers ,don't bother to answer ,I and most of the rest of us are not interested ,"talk to the hand"

You and others have previously made your POVs perfectly clear when posting comments such as 'who cares' in response to similar incidents. How about quitting with the hypocritical commentary.

Edited by simple1

What a stupid comment!

Massive refugee influx in Lybia started soon after the 'liberation' of Lybia from Kadhafi.

All prisoners were liberated from Lybian prisons after the fall of the Kadhafi regime. Many of them were human traffickers. This resulting in a new wave of human trafficking after they were liberated from the prison cells.

Almost 70% of Lybian population fled the country since 'NATO' intervention.

Kadhafi/Lybia was known to have huge reserves of gold and many Swiss bank accounts with strong foreign currencies. All disappeared...

Lybians didn't live in poverty under Kadhafi.

You can't charge Merkel for that...

Edited by Thorgal

What a stupid comment!

Massive refugee influx in Lybia started soon after the 'liberation' of Lybia from Kadhafi.

All prisoners were liberated from Lybian prisons after the fall of the Kadhafi regime. Many of them were human traffickers. This resulting in a new wave of human trafficking after they were liberated from the prison cells.

Almost 70% of Lybian population fled the country since 'NATO' intervention.

Kadhafi/Lybia was known to have huge reserves of gold and many Swiss bank accounts with strong foreign currencies. All disappeared...

Lybians didn't live in poverty under Kadhafi.

You can't charge Merkel for that...

Removing Gaddafi was a massive ballsup. Turns out Moamar, Saddam and other muslim strongman leaders were absolutely necessary to keep the population under control. Without a brutal dictator in these muslim countries there is pure anarchy as the population are out of control on religious fervor and hate. (Another reason why it does not work when they move to the developed world.)

Now as per your claim that refugees started coming from Libya because NATO kicked out Gaddafi - well it is quite bonkers. I can clearly remember standing on a beach nr Puerto Banus and seeing what appeared to be Africans arriving on a small boat to the beach and scarpering. They were already fleeing islam and its associated evils back in the 80s. Long before NATO bombed Libya. These refugees are all fleeing one thing and one thing only, Islam. Problem is they don't recognize the problem and it's virtually illegal in the western world to point out the problem for them. In my example it is true they were likely coming from Morocco or Algeria but my point stands.

You and the other poster that keeps standing up for the caliphate must be aware that we all know the USA did not wake one morning and decide to bomb the heck out of muslim countries for amusement(or oil), but because the countries were total violent wrecks posing a clear and present danger to the 1st world democracies - and the barmy left wanted to "help" the "poor people".

Yeah, yeah...Hitler and his damn drone-strikes!

TV- forum gets dumber by the second!

Invoking Godwin's law and storming off in a huff is one way to deal with a disagreement. Another way would be to put across measured points in a calm manner and we can discuss the situation. For the points to be accepted they must have basis in reality otherwise the post would be a pure troll. So, USA's fault - nope, worldwide poverty's fault - nope, fault of right leaning observers - nope. Would you like to have one more guess as to why the entire muslim world is in chaos leading them to try storming the western democratic world and die on mass trying? Just keep in mind it was in chaos 30 years ago and will be in chaos in 30 years time before selecting the best answer.

<snip>

You and the other poster that keeps standing up for the caliphate must be aware that we all know the USA did not wake one morning and decide to bomb the heck out of muslim countries for amusement(or oil), but because the countries were total violent wrecks posing a clear and present danger to the 1st world democracies - and the barmy left wanted to "help" the "poor people".

Daesh, is the only group who has proclaimed a Caliphate, not one member has posted support for Daesh or indeed any other form of Islamic extremism; so a fail with this BS comment.

Can you explain why a country who's rulers official ideology is Wahhabism, which fuels Salafism, has for decades carried on with it's agenda without any hindrance by all Western governments, no matter if left or right of politics.

You and others have previously made your POVs perfectly clear when posting comments such as 'who cares' in response to similar incidents. How about quitting with the hypocritical commentary.

As i said "talk to the hand" i did ask you not to reply .

As i said "talk to the hand" i did ask you not to reply .

You cannot demand anything of me. Don't like a reply - tough.

Edited by simple1

Invoking Godwin's law and storming off in a huff is one way to deal with a disagreement. Another way would be to put across measured points in a calm manner and we can discuss the situation. For the points to be accepted they must have basis in reality otherwise the post would be a pure troll. So, USA's fault - nope, worldwide poverty's fault - nope, fault of right leaning observers - nope. Would you like to have one more guess as to why the entire muslim world is in chaos leading them to try storming the western democratic world and die on mass trying? Just keep in mind it was in chaos 30 years ago and will be in chaos in 30 years time before selecting the best answer.

I don't need to discuss calmly with people who comment BS like "I feel so sorry for the poor children ,killed by their parents,who were to afraid to stay and fight for their country ,like our fathers did,when we were under attack,"!

Just blaming the world's problems on Islam also is not more then just drivel!

Bye bye!

I don't need to discuss calmly with people who comment BS like "I feel so sorry for the poor children ,killed by their parents,who were to afraid to stay and fight for their country ,like our fathers did,when we were under attack,"!

Just blaming the world's problems on Islam also is not more then just drivel!

Bye bye!

Missing you already:)

<snip>

Daesh, is the only group who has proclaimed a Caliphate, not one member has posted support for Daesh or indeed any other form of Islamic extremism; so a fail with this BS comment.

Can you explain why a country who's rulers official ideology is Wahhabism, which fuels Salafism, has for decades carried on with it's agenda without any hindrance by all Western governments, no matter if left or right of politics.

What is the stated aim of Al Shabab ?

What is the stated aim of Boko Haram ?

When the time is right, all these groupings will unite with a common goal. By then it will be too late.

Not by the second at all old chap - by your first.

More hearsay evidence. Until bodies or the sunken ship is found, I would presume it's a story, or at least an exaggeration, to garner sympathy as a means of getting to stay.

Yes, cynical of me, but that's my experience of humanity: there's no deception people are not capable of to get what they want. If the story turns out to be absolutely true, I will apologise and be a bit less cynical in future. But let's see.