Phuket student, 16, dies as pickup slides on wet road, hits tree

webfact

Phuket student, 16, dies as pickup slides on wet road, hits tree
Eakkapop Thongtub

1461215369_1-org.jpg
Rescue workers attend to one of the victims of the crash Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A 16-year-old Phuket student was killed when a pickup truck slid off a rain-soaked road and slammed into a tree in Takua Thung, north of Phuket, last night (Apr 20).

The student, Attapinya Jonpleaw, was launched through the windscreen in the impact, at the “Phangchang curve” on Phetkasem Rd in Kalai subdistrict (see map).

When police arrived shortly after 8:30pm, she was unconscious and unresponsive, lying on the road about one metre away from the wreckage. She was pronounced dead on arrival at Phang Nga Hospital.

Police declined to name the school Attapinya attended, only referring to it as “a well known school in Phuket”.

Capt Ekkapop Phuthong of the Takua Thung Police said a medical unit from Phang Nga Hospital, Kalai village headman Chakkrich Ngandee and rescue workers were already at the scene when officers arrived.

“The wrecked Toyota pickup truck was on its roof and its broken windscreen and other debris were scattered all over the road,” Capt Ekkapop said.

“Five victims were still trapped inside the truck. Rescue workers used hydraulics cutters to free them from the wreck,” he added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-student-16-dies-as-pickup-slides-on-wet-road-hits-tree-57114.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-04-21

Sad, RIP.

What is not taught in Thai driving test/tutoring:

Wet roads can get slippery.

Curves even more slippery.

There are laws of physics.

Most if not all 2x doors pickups don't have safety belts in the back.

Guessing: no one buckled up anyway, no airbags, no ABS (but fancy rim's it had).

Flying from the back through the windshield.

You can imagine how hard this impact was.

What more can I write?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Two months ago I agreed to drop off at his home a middle-ge Thai tradesman who had been working on my house. He climbed into the rear seat of my SUV and searched for, found, and buckled up his seatbelt. When I told him that he was the first Thai ever who had voluntarily put on a rear seat belt. He told me that three weeks earlier he had been driving his pickup with wife in the front passenger seat. He was wearing his seat belt his wife was not.His twenty year old daughter with 2 year old son on her lap was sitting in the rear seat behind her mother. No seat belt.

As he rounded a fast curve a pickup in the oncoming lane lost control and slewed into him head-on. Both front airbags deployed but his unsecured wife was driven into the foot-well as her daughter and infant were catapulted into and over the mother's seat back folding it forward and they went through the windshield. Mother, daughter and infant were killed instantly. He survived with chest bruises (New Vigo).

He said he now never failed to buckle-up.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

Two months ago I agreed to drop off at his home a middle-ge Thai tradesman who had been working on my house. He climbed into the rear seat of my SUV and searched for, found, and buckled up his seatbelt. When I told him that he was the first Thai ever who had voluntarily put on a rear seat belt. He told me that three weeks earlier he had been driving his pickup with wife in the front passenger seat. He was wearing his seat belt his wife was not.His twenty year old daughter with 2 year old son on her lap was sitting in the rear seat behind her mother. No seat belt.

As he rounded a fast curve a pickup in the oncoming lane lost control and slewed into him head-on. Both front airbags deployed but his unsecured wife was driven into the foot-well as her daughter and infant were catapulted into and over the mother's seat back folding it forward and they went through the windshield. Mother, daughter and infant were killed instantly. He survived with chest bruises (New Vigo).

He said he now never failed to buckle-up.

Very sad ...