The argument against dual pricing in Thailand

webfact

I'm happy to pay entrance fees as long as the place is well maintained, but most of us contributes more tax then 90% of the locals here, we deserve some special privileges at least to be charge at the same rates as Thais.

Really?

Post your tax returns here then.

Oh I understand what you mean.

The 7% you pay at the 7/11 for 2 weeks a year that you try and claim back at Swampy.

Could be wrong though....the bar girls have EFPTOS and give you a receipt?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy solution. If they want you to pay more or double the price just walk away. Blacklisting on a large scale will have some voices from these rip off merchants crying out for Government help.

Absolute rubbish.

The power you think you have is basically....

....nothing

Dual pricing amounts to cheating!

I have been to some restaurants that have dual pricing, two menus, one in Thai(cheaper) and one in English(expensive). I always walked out when I was not allowed to order from the Thai menu.

One way lose weight

When I played golf at the great Royal Melbourne Golf club I, as a foreigner had to pay 3000 baht more.

People in Florida get discount at Disneyworld.

Local discount happens everywhere.

My daughter going to a UK university has to pay more than a UK resident, even though she is a citizen. US unis charge foreigners more too.

So you paid 100 AUD more than either members (who pay an annual premium) and/or residents. It sounds very dramatic to state 3000 Baht, but what are the resident green fees? 100, 150?? Now if the charged 10 times more say 1000 AUD on top, would you consider it fair?

No Australian non-members paid a LOT less than me, I forget the exact prices.. Members would be cheaper.

one thought,

can you claim the VAT back at airport when you leave for the overpriced tickets you paid for ?

get you a little back at least

of course you can't. VAT can be claimed back if the goods are considered "export". stuff we consume here is subjected to VAT just like it is back home. a tourist staying in a Thai hotel cannot claim back the VAT of his hotel bill. LOL. However if you buy a pc here and you apply for tax refund at customs in Swampy providing the Thai invoice then you can recover the VAT. on arrival at homeland technically you are supposed to declare the PC at customs who will charge you local taxes.....

I'm happy to pay entrance fees as long as the place is well maintained, but most of us contributes more tax then 90% of the locals here, we deserve some special privileges at least to be charge at the same rates as Thais.

Really?

The 7% you pay at the 7/11 for 2 weeks a year that you try and claim back at Swampy.

you can't claim back VAT for stuff you have consumed here. period. you drink a coke here. you pay VAT. there is no way to recover that VAT.

When I played golf at the great Royal Melbourne Golf club I, as a foreigner had to pay 3000 baht more.

My daughter going to a UK university has to pay more than a UK resident, even though she is a citizen. US unis charge foreigners more too.

So you paid 100 AUD more than either members (who pay an annual premium) and/or residents. It sounds very dramatic to state 3000 Baht, but what are the resident green fees? 100, 150?? Now if the charged 10 times more say 1000 AUD on top, would you consider it fair?

• The green fee for 18 holes is A$300.00 per person for interstate visitors.
  • The green fee for 18 holes is A$500.00 per person for overseas visitors.
Actually 5,410 baht more expensive being a foreigner. According to some here I should have said up your, I ain't paying.

We shouldnt complain about it really but our countries of birth should reciprocate as it is reasonable. The British Museum in London I believe charges the equivalent of Baht 400 so charge Thai's visiting Baht 1,600.

That is fair after all the Thai's who come to England are rich and can afford it.

Entrance to the British Museum is FREE!!

As is entrance to most of the other major museums in London

Isn't this the same guy who wrote the "Farang is racist" piece not long ago? Is he just running through TV's greatest hits?

Oh dear, has the nasty man upset you by writing something critical about discrimination?

You can bet if the expat pubs starting charging Thai's an extra 50 baht a pint a certain someone in here would be the first to claim it was racist.

Not much point really as most Thais I have seen in an "expat pub" were accompanying their terrak when he was meeting his mates to watch the footie and to whinge about Thailand so he was paying anyway lol

one thought,

can you claim the VAT back at airport when you leave for the overpriced tickets you paid for ?

get you a little back at least

Unfortunately not as you have to produce the item you bought to get the VAT back and I suspect that dragging a national park with you through check in and immigration would be a bit difficult but hey give it a go!!

When it is a 20 - 50 Baht difference, I am not bothered and will pay.

I understand that locals can get in places cheaper, that does happen in the West too, along with other concessions, and if the price difference is not unreasonable, then no problem.

But when it is 40 Baht for Thais and 400 Baht for 'farrang', then it is just taking the p#ss

When it is a 20 - 50 Baht difference, I am not bothered and will pay.

I understand that locals can get in places cheaper, that does happen in the West too, along with other concessions, and if the price difference is not unreasonable, then no problem.

But when it is 40 Baht for Thais and 400 Baht for 'farrang', then it is just taking the p#ss

The logic should be: this poor westerner is already supporting half of an Isaan village so we let him in for free. 555

Anyway, best things in life are for free. A good chat, a helpful stranger, a nice sunset, a smile, etc... violin.gif402.gifviolin.gif

• The green fee for 18 holes is A$300.00 per person for interstate visitors.
  • The green fee for 18 holes is A$500.00 per person for overseas visitors.

Actually 5,410 baht more expensive being a foreigner. According to some here I should have said up your, I ain't paying.

Ummm... no...apples and pears, my friend. You paid 70% more. That's a 60 Baht entrance to a Thai national park..not 400! Stop converting to THB to make your anecdote ''shocking''. At the current Thai government rate you need to pay 3000 AUD to play golf if you want an equivalent comparison...do you consider that fair?

I don't think dual pricing is so unusual. In the US, many state parks, historical sites, and campgrounds charge higher rates for out-of-state residents. The logic, I believe, is that state residents pay taxes in the state.

Disney World in Orlando, Florida charges less for Florida residents. Their logic, I believe, is to persuade Floridians to continue visiting.

In Thailand, there may be some logic behind foreigners being charged more--at least the ones who do not pay taxes here. Besides, didn't you know, all those damn farangs are rich and/or stupid with their money.

I don't know were this 'don't pay taxes' mentality comes from. A little story. About 10 years ago I frequented a gym that i was one of the first mebers. On my Gym renewal I was informed the price had gone up. I paid it, as it was suited for me in location and equipment. A few montsh later, as I was learning to read Thai. I notice the sign in Thai stated the membership was in fact the old price and not the new. When questioning the owner, I got the you don't pay tax. When I showed him my tax card which showed I was paying probably more than he was making a month, a whole list of excuses came back. I still have the letter written in pidgeon English which I read when I need a good laugh. They were. you sweat more so you pay more. You run faster on the treadmill so you pay more. You lift heavier weights so you pay more. Even you have been here longer than the other members so you pay more. <deleted>. Anyway this is the metality here from mayn. I moved to another gym but the point I am making is, that the view and dieology is not moving forward at all. Those trying to justify dual pricing have to look at their home countries. Can you imagine a price list up in London to see the attractions. Like the London Eye, Tower of london etc. British citizens 50% off whilst Thais pay 200% more. There would be outcry and rightly so. here it is accpeted and justified in the Thais eyes.It is ridiculous and unjust and about time a law was in place, to prevent it. But knowing Thailand it will be a long time off before this happens, if ever in my lifetime.

You really misunderstood, eh? First, I said, " . . . the ones who do not pay taxes here . . ." Second, I said, "I don't think dual pricing is so unusual." Where do you see I said I agree with the dual pricing or that I said farangs don't pay taxes here?.

I asked my Canadian friend if the Canadian government parks and private ventures practiced dual pricing against non-Canadians.

He looked at me dumbfounded and as if I'd just landed from outer space!

"No" he said. "We take pride in our country and ourselves" "We work to welcome people not offend them."

When I visited Doi Inthanon this season and paid several hundred baht more than my Thai friend only to find rubbish littering the place, washrooms that reeked like horse stables this notion of "pride in one's country and pride in oneself" came to mind.

I really didn't feel "welcomed" nor "un-offended".

Sad isn't it?

thumbsup.gifclap2.gif and Canada will legalize 4/20 in 2017 like first country from G7 . love Canada.

thailand now faling to green brain madness , blaming tourist , people wich give them everyday bread they blamebah.gif

I've never paid an entrance fee to anywhere in Thailand and I'm pretty sure I never will.

Having to pay to see this crap is an insult.

I will add to this post that I consider the 'entrance fee' to be the cost of the visa.

Really?

Even that would be more than what the average Thai pays. Give it a rest.

The worst part is that I have already been to these parks and don't really care to go back except that the Thai family wants to go. So I am expected to pay more for helping out my Thai family.

Your Thai family is so inept that they cannot go by themselves?

I'm a self-loathing foreigner and would like to pay 10 times more. I hate everything about my own culture and that's why I'm here. I love slagging off my own culture to the locals and expats alike. I always like to apologise for my country's actions even if they are well meaning. I especially like to play the apologetic, useless & lame white guy.

I like to assure the locals here that I'm a sympathetic ally by dumping on my own country and culture. But to honest, I don't think they could give a s***. I have a feeling some locals think I'm ridiculous for pretending I'm making a difference when really I'm just making myself feel better. I may even be playing to their stereotypes of a 'farang'.

Some of my friends say that constantly dumping on myself doesn't help or fix anything. If anything, It's a perverse kinda narcissism. But the more I knock my kind, the better person I am, I believe.

Right, I'm off to buy som tam for the security guard who was rude to me earlier for no reason. Well. I must have done something wrong. Hopefully with some big smiles and wyes I can get into his good books. Laters.

I asked my Canadian friend if the Canadian government parks and private ventures practiced dual pricing against non-Canadians.

"No" he said. "We take pride in our country and ourselves" "We work to welcome people not offend them."

When I visited Doi Inthanon this season and paid several hundred baht more than my Thai friend only to find rubbish littering the place, washrooms that reeked like horse stables this notion of "pride in one's country and pride in oneself" came to mind.

Sad isn't it?

As a Canadian, I can tell you your friend is wrong or perhaps doesn't go out much.

There is in fact dual pricing at parks in Canada but of course only minorities get away with it.

Take a walk on some of the hiking trails and see what happens when you get to the Indian land.

They are probably still pissed off over the facts that all the land was once theirs and that people still refer to them as Indians.

Some folks just can't let go of a grudge, eh.

How many borders around the world have not been set by someone getting their asses kicked? It is the way the world as we know has come to be. How for back do you go? How long do you keep whining about it?

the last time I visited a National Park was with a good Thai friend and his family. Mum and the Kids in the back and me in the front passengers seat. My mate got out and went over to the 'centre' to pay the entrance fee for all off us. Which he did. Halfway back to the vehicle the Thai Park 'Ranger' came outside having spotted me, a farang, in the passengers seat and yelled out to my mate that he needed to pay the farang entrance price for me. My thai mate, who is not your average cop it on the chin Thai, fired up, giving him a gobful and refusing point blank to pay it. Citing that I wasn't a tourist and that I lived here permanently, that I am his neighbour! The bloke immediately backed down and went back inside. We carried on into the park without any problems. . Actually I was willing to pay the fare, but my mate was having none of it. He was more offended than I would ever be. Not all Thais agree with this practice either.

A large well known (internationally) fishing park near me has two tier pricing. But they also have a system whereby if you can prove you are a 'resident' and not just a passing tourist/tripper you need only pay the local price.

the last time I visited a National Park was with a good Thai friend and his family. Mum and the Kids in the back and me in the front passengers seat. My mate got out and went over to the 'centre' to pay the entrance fee for all off us. Which he did. Halfway back to the vehicle the Thai Park 'Ranger' came outside having spotted me, a farang, in the passengers seat and yelled out to my mate that he needed to pay the farang entrance price for me. My thai mate, who is not your average cop it on the chin Thai, fired up, giving him a gobful and refusing point blank to pay it. Citing that I wasn't a tourist and that I lived here permanently, that I am his neighbour! The bloke immediately backed down and went back inside. We carried on into the park without any problems. . Actually I was willing to pay the fare, but my mate was having none of it. He was more offended than I would ever be. Not all Thais agree with this practice either.

A large well known (internationally) fishing park near me has two tier pricing. But they also have a system whereby if you can prove you are a 'resident' and not just a passing tourist/tripper you need only pay the local price.

Well done to your mate. My Thai friends are also embarrassed by dual pricing.

Sad isn't it?

As a Canadian, I can tell you your friend is wrong or perhaps doesn't go out much.

There is in fact dual pricing at parks in Canada but of course only minorities get away with it.

Take a walk on some of the hiking trails and see what happens when you get to the Indian land.

They are probably still pissed off over the facts that all the land was once theirs and that people still refer to them as Indians.

Some folks just can't let go of a grudge, eh.

How many borders around the world have not been set by someone getting their asses kicked? It is the way the world as we know has come to be. How for back do you go? How long do you keep whining about it?

I was actually picking up on the whining I found in the post I responded to.

I remain puzzled!

What is it that accounts for many countries not exercising dual pricing at either government operated or privately owned venues?

Some countries charge nothing at all for certain venues.

There is probably a myriad of reasons why this doesn't occur.

But what are they?

I remain puzzled!

What is it that accounts for many countries not exercising dual pricing at either government operated or privately owned venues?

Some countries charge nothing at all for certain venues.

There is probably a myriad of reasons why this doesn't occur.

But what are they?

Many years ago, the UK government considered applying entry fees to all the big London museums - e.g. British, Natural History, Science, V&A, Imperial War Museums, National Gallery and probably many more in & outside of London.

In the end, it was decided that the permanent exhibitions should remain free to all - but charges would be made for some short-term, 'special' exhibitions.

The reasoning was, apparently, that nobody should be denied access to the knowledge contained in the museums simply because they couldn't afford to visit.

They remain free to this day.

British National Parks (not to be confused with National Trust properties) are also free to all comers.

Edited by MartinL

Over pricing is everywhere in Thailand.

A few days ago i had a farang visit me.

It was very hot so the lady went to our village shop.

She bought ice, 3 small bottles of coke.

Price should have been 10 baht ice, 3x12 baht coke.

She was charged 60 baht. When she told me, i said thats wrong.

Next day my wife went to the same shop, bought same items 46 baht.

My wife asked why did you charge my farang friend 60 baht.

Answer was, she farang tourist she got big money.

Now we will go to the other village shop, he thought he was being smart but has lost a regular customer over his short sighted greed.

Maybe if you had visited the local 7-11, you wouldn't have had to deal with that. Local mom and pop shops are dead anyway, the way in which a small number of them try to extract a few extra Baht from a "farang" tourist is just a defiant last attempt to cash in before convenience store chains and hypermarkets drive them out of business.

While I believe I personally have never been affected (I know what the price of items in such stores should be, which is not much more than the 7-11 price) and I am fluent in the language, I am not sad to see some of these shops go.

As Thailand modernizes, the dual pricing will slowly be eliminated though I suspect national parks and private tourist attractions will hold off as long as possible in a last act of defiance.

Ah but the nearest 7/11 to us is a/b 25K away :-(.