Rogue Bangkok taxi driver filmed fleecing Thai woman and foreign husband

webfact

If you listen carefully, he says "you agreed to the 900 hundred baht " she stumble a couple of seconds with how to reply. She has him on camera and trying to direct the dialogue in her own favour. She replys "yes, I did because you wouldn't go on the meter " she jumped the cue and used the taxi by mutual negotiation. She had every right to turn his taxi down and find a metered taxi. He's running a business. It's his duty to get as much as he can for his vehicle. She wanted a taxi from the arrival and tried to get the cheapest ride she could without waiting for a metered or cueing.

At the hotel she changed her mind. Even the hotelier asked her if it was true. she said yes. The hotelier asked her to pay and she did. The full 900.

She tried to cheat him

She replies 'if you think 900 is an appropriate price from the airport to this hotel, call the police now and press charges', and he has no response other than to lunge at her violently. The hotelier doesn't ask her to pay, he simply asks '900?' as if to confirm that's what he's asking or IF she's going to pay that, she then says no, 500, hands him 500, and he moves towards the driver with it.

She cheated a cheater... she deserves nothing but praise.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he told them 900 baht at the airport. She agreed. Then when she got there, she changed her mind and said she will only pay 500 or call the police.

Usually passengers must wait downstairs and cue for taxi. Those taxis are always on the meter.

But some like to jump the cue and go upstairs to arrivals and negotiate with the taxi by themselves. The passenger enters a verbal agreement, or decline and get another taxi.

She jumped the cue, and reneged on her agreement. As she admitted in the video. We as customers do not have to get in an unmetered taxi. We can get another. It's his taxi, he can negotiate what he wants. Negotiated taxis are all over the world. It's no different from negotiating a tuk tuk.

She did not keep her agreement and should be arrested.

Where's the proof it wasn't at the metered taxi rank? In the video all she says is all her suitcase were already in the boot by the time he finally said 'my meter isn't working, how does 900 baht sound'.

The apologists for this thug driver make me sick.

No sympathy for the driver here, he's a word that will be deleted if I use it, however the OP says he picked them up at the smoking area at DM, which I'm led to believe isn't where the metered taxis are. Edited by Bluespunk

Use this app every time you catch a taxi cab in Bangkok: DLT Check in . You can take a photo of the taxi license (under the window) and the app sends it to Department of Land Transport.

You can show the driver that you are using the app if he tries anything improper.

I've tried using the app but was threatened by the driver. Many of these guys have a Mafia mentality. Be careful.

What a husband he is! He takes care of the luggage but doesn't try to protect his wife as the taxi driver approaches her in a threatening manner...!?! Leaves it up to the holet staff... [emoji13] Useless s**t.

That was a very smart guy. There would have been NOTHING he could have done better than what he did.

At least he isnt a keyboard warrior....

Another bloke who picks his "girlfriends" up off side walks.

If he made a move like that towards my wife, I wouldn't need a keyboard.

You'd stand by and watch her being attacked?!

What a loser...No wonder you have to come to a third world country to get a night's company... sad man.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of blokes here who would STAND UP for their wives/families/loved ones.

You would have done that - look stupid and achieved nothing.

And you would look like an absolute fool to your wife.

Like another poster said, his wife handled this much better than some hot headed farang. I am not a coward, but when in Rome.....

Strange that a Thai person didn't check to see the meter turned on/reset? After my first few weeks here that was second nature to me. Also I guess they didn't get in the proper queue? Ah well.

Seems clear she deliberately hatched a plan to refuse the fare once safely at the hotel lobby, standing behind security guards, on CCTV and holding a camera in her hand, and rightly suspected the video would go viral and get the driver fined.

Strange that a Thai person didn't check to see the meter turned on/reset? After my first few weeks here that was second nature to me. Also I guess they didn't get in the proper queue? Ah well.

Seems clear she deliberately hatched a plan to refuse the fare once safely at the hotel lobby, standing behind security guards, on CCTV and holding a camera in her hand, and rightly suspected the video would go viral and get the driver fined.

Oh so now we have a taxi defender....better do a background check on old boy before you stick up for him. Better yet why dont you READ the report first before you comment.

If you listen carefully, he says "you agreed to the 900 hundred baht " she stumble a couple of seconds with how to reply. She has him on camera and trying to direct the dialogue in her own favour. She replys "yes, I did because you wouldn't go on the meter " she jumped the cue and used the taxi by mutual negotiation. She had every right to turn his taxi down and find a metered taxi. He's running a business. It's his duty to get as much as he can for his vehicle. She wanted a taxi from the arrival and tried to get the cheapest ride she could without waiting for a metered or cueing.At the hotel she changed her mind. Even the hotelier asked her if it was true. she said yes. The hotelier asked her to pay and she did. The full 900.

She tried to cheat him

She replies 'if you think 900 is an appropriate price from the airport to this hotel, call the police now and press charges', and he has no response other than to lunge at her violently. The hotelier doesn't ask her to pay, he simply asks '900?' as if to confirm that's what he's asking or IF she's going to pay that, she then says no, 500, hands him 500, and he moves towards the driver with it.

She cheated a cheater... she deserves nothing but praise.

I disagree. She says it's too expensive call police.

He says why did you agree to that price.

The hoteliers seemed to support her up until that point.

One of the hotelies asks her if she agreed. She says yes. The hotelier asks her to pay. She pays.

The hotelier gives it to driver. The driver starts to argue again thinking it is 500. The hotelier says no its all 900. The driver leaves. You can see a change from the hotel staff after the driver asks why did she agree to it. She's thai. Everyone knows to negotiate at the smoking section and meter in the cue section. Sometimes we get a bargain, sometimes we don't. She messed up, then changed her mind. No sympathy.

In the linked Thairath article she says she had just flown in from Ranong with her husband to Don Meuang airport and they hailed a taxi from the first floor of the airport building.

She told the taxi driver her destination and they got in the taxi and after they set off he announced the fare would be 900 Baht off the meter.

She immediately tried to bargain down the price but he became evasive and refused to negotiate, talking into his phone and opening and shutting the car window for some reason.

She felt pressurised, uneasy and in danger since it was late at night. When they got to their destination they alighted from the taxi and she offered to pay 500 Baht which led to the events in the video unfolding.

At 1 min 20 she says to the driver in Southern Thai dialect: "Do you always speak to women, the same sex as your Mother, like this?" which seems to enrage him and he makes towards her only for the hotel staff to intervene.

She said she was grateful to the hotel staff for stepping in helping.

SO...

Its woman cheating?

blink.pngbah.gif

According to the dialogue in thai not in print, she agreed before she got in the taxi. That's why when the hotelier asked her for the full 900, she paid up. She knew the game was up. She probably realised after they were on the way, that she had been too hasty with the agreed 900. Too late. She agreed. Pay up lady.

So it 100% cheating..

for NORMAL people..

Same you come to reswtaraunt see in menu PRICE and its be 5 time more then another but after eat say i am not pay..

The hotel porter told the taxi driver to accept 500baht and go, Well done porter.defending a tourist, and his wife,

When she had put her bags into the taxi and set off the taxi driver then told her he did not use meters, it was a short distance to the hotel, She did right in standing her ground,

Edited by Thongkorn

One of the hotelies asks her if she agreed. She says yes. The hotelier asks her to pay. She pays.

The hotelier gives it to driver. The driver starts to argue again thinking it is 500. The hotelier says no its all 900. The driver leaves. You can see a change from the hotel staff after the driver asks why did she agree to it. She's thai.

I think you need a brush up on your Thai because I can't hear any of that being said.

Everyone knows to negotiate at the smoking section and meter in the cue section. Sometimes we get a bargain, sometimes we don't. She messed up, then changed her mind. No sympathy.

No, everyone expects a taxi to use the meter as per the law, I'm pretty sure I'd find you saying 'the law is the law' in other threads about visas.

If he didn't say anything until her bags were in the boot, she was in the car, and started driving, then she was expecting the meter to be turned on. The times for mutually agreed illegal negotiation are passed.

But at that point of already driving off he said 'my meter isn't working, and the price is 900'. At which point she hatched her cunning plan to cheat the cheater.

I can't believe the farang didn't knock the driver in the head.

Maybe he didn't fancy starting off his holiday in a Thai prison cell....just guessing though?

I was thinking exactly the opposite: kudos for the guy not to intervene and making things worse. Thai rak thai... let them handle their own dirty laundry (ie. cheaters, scum, etc). Unfortunately i'm pretty sure our pacifist friend was the actual "owner" of said 500thb and not his lovely missus but that is pure speculation of course ;-)

Their is a limo service from DM to Sukhumvit for 700 Baht and you pay the 120 Baht tanduan fees.

What are tanduan fees?

Expressway tanGduan.

I think he knew that already,he was trying to be clever,same as his other 2 inane questions.

The hotelier gives it to driver. The driver starts to argue again thinking it is 500. The hotelier says no its all 900. The driver leaves. You can see a change from the hotel staff after the driver asks why did she agree to it. She's thai.

I think you need a brush up on your Thai because I can't hear any of that being said.

Everyone knows to negotiate at the smoking section and meter in the cue section. Sometimes we get a bargain, sometimes we don't. She messed up, then changed her mind. No sympathy.

No, everyone expects a taxi to use the meter as per the law, I'm pretty sure I'd find you saying 'the law is the law' in other threads about visas.

If he didn't say anything until her bags were in the boot, she was in the car, and started driving, then she was expecting the meter to be turned on. The times for mutually agreed illegal negotiation are passed.

But at that point of already driving off he said 'my meter isn't working, and the price is 900'. At which point she hatched her cunning plan to cheat the cheater.

Entirely logical and correct.

Anyone that can't see that is either trolling or doesn't know what they are talking about.

I she negotiated the price and on the way there, after chatting with her foreigner friend, she realised she had negotiated badly.

When you look at the expensive price in a restaurant, you have the option to eat or leave. If you eat you pay. Not fight about how expensive it is after completing the meal. I hope all the taxis remember her and refuse service to her for being such a cheat. Perhaps the foreigner did not help because he knew that's the price they agreed.

You can't call it a negotiation, the car started moving, suitcases in the boot, drivers says 'meter no working, 900 baht'... she tried to say that's expensive and get it lower because at that point it's a massive inconvenience to find a new taxi that will use the meter, and repack all the suitcases in. That's nothing like being able to walk out of a restaurant.

He refuses to go lower than 900, and has an aggressive demeanour, so rather than set him off she just leaves it til the last minute when safely behind security guards. She was actually really generous offering 500, it's usually more like 300.

Who knows what he would've done if she'd insisted on him stopping and letting her get all her bags out to find a cab with a working meter. He was already moving, he'd have quite a way to go before he could find a somewhere to stop.

Where is the law, that says a metered taxi cannot negotiate fares.

Stating 900 baht and not going any lower, isn't a negotiation. Her side of the story is that he wouldn't go lower, I tend to believe her over the violent thug who lunges at a woman.

You can't call it a negotiation, the car started moving, suitcases in the boot, drivers says 'meter no working, 900 baht'... she tried to say that's expensive and get it lower because at that point it's a massive inconvenience to find a new taxi that will use the meter, and repack all the suitcases in. That's nothing like being able to walk out of a restaurant.

He refuses to go lower than 900, and has an aggressive demeanour, so rather than set him off she just leaves it til the last minute when safely behind security guards. She was actually really generous offering 500, it's usually more like 300.

Who knows what he would've done if she'd insisted on him stopping and letting her get all her bags out to find a cab with a working meter. He was already moving, he'd have quite a way to go before he could find a somewhere to stop.

It's his word against hers that the car was moving before they negotiated. Even so she had every right to stop the taxi as I have often done and call a new one. I'm thinking she was in a hurry, jumped the cue and hastily got in the taxi. I always check if it is meter or negotiate before getting in. She's thai she should know that.

It's possible and probable that the car was still parked at the time he said 900. She said ok, then tried to change the terms enroute. He refused. So she kept quiet and hatched her scheming plan.

Who knows how much he pays airport cops to get that position in the arrivals area.

And she is, off to her fancy pancy hotel with a foreigner. He probably picked her off from a lifetime at the noodle stand.

While this poor guy, has lost his income and cannot support his 6 kids. She obviously has fast forgotten where she came from. Poor guy.

Please tell me article law..

Point is if not agree price can say NO!!!

an go out taxi!!!

But if you say YES!!! must pay.. Its DEAL!!!

another way is CHEATING!!!!

And yes many cheater used law for cheat!!

what problem?

I many time do it. taxi driver tell u price. You agree or NOT. if not have 3 way:

1. say your price

2.say on meter.

3. GET OUT FROM tthe CAR!!!!

if say YES/ agree with price and after do not want pay it CHEATING!!! ANY WHERE !!!

Edited by ardokano

This happens everyday! Happened to me several times before. One day I was returning from a visa run to Laos and I was exhaused when I arrived in bangkok after being couped up in a minibus for god knows how many hours. The bus dropped me near where I live and I waved down a taxi.

I got in with my heavy backpack and told him where to go in Thai, he said okay I understand and drove off. I said turn left now, he didn't so we went around in a circle and again I said turn left. He said what? What did you say? So I said stop the car. He stopped. I got out and flagged down another taxi. The first taxi driver got out and said you pay me 75 baht on the meter. I said no you play game with me, I'm not paying. He got angry and grabbed my backpack. I was so tired and exhausted from my visa run that I gave in and gave him 100 baht. I got into the new taxi trembling and he took me home without any fooling around.

Some taxi drivers like to wind you up, maybe they get a kick out of it. As for me I always ring for my wife to come and pick me up on the motorbike now as I'm afraid of taxi drivers at night.

Edited by Wilsonandson

what problem?

I many time do it. taxi driver tell u price. You agree or NOT. if not have 3 way:

1. say your price

2.say on meter.

3. GET OUT FROM tthe CAR!!!!

if say YES/ agree with price and after do not want pay it CHEATING!!! ANY WHERE !!!

I'd agree if

a) her heavy suitcases weren't in the car

b ) he hadn't started driving

c) it would be easy to find a new cab - he'd started driving so he'd need to do a big loop to get back to arrivals and let them get out

d) he quoted a reasonable price, say 400

Clearly this isn't a reputable driver trying to negotiate, he was aggressive and violent, you can see him lunging violently at the women on camera.

If you put your bags in the car, he sped off fast, then shouted at you ok it'll be five thousand baht, are you going to be weak and submissive in that situation?

Don't you think in some situations it's morally better to cheat someone who is trying to cheat you?

Edited by jspill

Please tell me article law..

If you read the article the police decided to fine him 2000 baht and suspend his license for 3 months. So he must have broken some law.

Edited by jspill