One Page Left in Passport

I have one page left in my passport and I'm going to Savanakhet for a visa soon.

I have applied for a new passport.

My first question is ....how does this work.

When do they use my new passport.

First I get stamped out of Thailand,there is a small empty spot where I can ask them to use for this.

Then I have 1 clean page for the Laos visa.

So then I would use my new passport when I am being stamped into Laos.

I'm thinking out loud here...basically I need to know if this is the best way to do it...probably not.

That's if my new passport comes on time.It has been delayed by Songkran and might be late.Then what do I do.

Old passport out , new passport in.

It might not be that easy, as the new passport will have different number/letters.

1. Take both, your old passport and new passport with you (as the information from your "old" passport will be used for your current passport);

2. Explain to the immigration officer at border/passport control what you want to do. He will direct you to the appropriate office. Usually the office is in the same place as where over stayers must report to pay their penalty.

3. It's also possible that an Immigration officer from Mukdahan sends you back to your Immigration.

Can't you just ask your Immigration office before you're leaving Thailand?

Edited by lostinisaan

I think that people ordinarily go to Thai Immigration to have their current extension of stay (and re-entry permit) transferred to their new passport. Perhaps Thai Immigration at the border can do that - I don't know. Perhaps Ubonjoe will be along to give the definitive answer. It sounds as though you're cutting it close between the time that you expect to receive your new passport and travel to Laos. Good luck!

If the new passport does not arrive in time, apply for an extension of stay. Even if you are not entitled to one, you will get 7 days to leave the country which provides a bit of respite.

I assume you do not currently have a long term extension of stay with re-entry permit. If so, you can leave at Mukdahan with old (by then presumably canceled) and new passports. Mukdahan immigration will annotate the new passport with details of your original entry and then stamp you out. After that, everything proceeds as usual.

You will show both passports on departure from the country. They will transfer your entry/permit to stay stamp in the old one to your new passport and then stamp you out of the country in the new one,

Some border crossings may want a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer.

us always issues you a letter stating they issued a new passport an immigration ( IN PHUKET) asks for the letter.

Just travel with both.

I Had a new passport issued in PP, Cambodia a few years ago, had a 1 year extension for Thailand in the old one, I made 2 or 3 entries into Thailand using both passports, getting stamped in on the new passport. reason i did not transfer the extension stamp is it can ONLY Be done at the immigration where it was issued, ( this is what i was told by immigration when i flew into Bangkok with both passports.)

Never had any problems

Old passport out , new passport in.

It might not be that easy, as the new passport will have different number/letters.

1. Take both, your old passport and new passport with you (as the information from your "old" passport will be used for your current passport);

2. Explain to the immigration officer at border/passport control what you want to do. He will direct you to the appropriate office. Usually the office is in the same place as where over stayers must report to pay their penalty.

3. It's also possible that an Immigration officer from Mukdahan sends you back to your Immigration.

Can't you just ask your Immigration office before you're leaving Thailand?

Point number 3. Is this information you are providing based on 1st hand knowledge or just a wild assumption?

Edited by ThaiRich

I'm from Ireland and I have a used up 15 month(1 year multi entry) visa with a

60 day extension of stay on it.

I will go to immigration before I go if I have time and I will ask my embassy when I get the passport.

Thanks for the help so far.

I will go to immigration before I go if I have time and I will ask my embassy when I get the passport.

Going to an immigration likely will be a waste of time. Many turn people away and tell them to do it on departure. Only those on 90 day extensions and higher need to go to an office to heave their stamps transferred,

Do ask for the letter from the embassy,

• Like 1

whistling.gif I did the change to a new passport (U.S. passport) here in Thailand at CW in June 2015.

You should have received a letter requesting immigration to switch your current visa data to your new passport at the embassy here in Bangkok when you received your new passport

You simply take that letter to immigration and they will switch your current visa data while you wait.

Easily done.

As I said I went through the process here in Bangkok in June 2015.

Going to an immigration likely will be a waste of time. Many turn people away and tell them to do it on departure. Only those on 90 day extensions and higher need to go to an office to heave their stamps transferred,

Yes, you are correct. I was at Division 1 at the government complex and that is exactly what they told me.

I transferred my Tourist Visa stamp into my new PP last week (Hua Hin) although I am aware that some offices will not do it

"Some offices won't do it"

So I suppose what I need to know is if Mae Sai (my local office)or Muktahan

do it or not.

He was writing about immigration offices not boarder crossings. You can do it at the Mukdahan crossing.

• Like 1

whistling.gif I did the change to a new passport (U.S. passport) here in Thailand at CW in June 2015.

You should have received a letter requesting immigration to switch your current visa data to your new passport at the embassy here in Bangkok when you received your new passport

You simply take that letter to immigration and they will switch your current visa data while you wait.

Easily done.

As I said I went through the process here in Bangkok in June 2015.

I did the same in December of 2010...no muss no fuss.

If the new passport does not arrive in time, apply for an extension of stay. Even if you are not entitled to one, you will get 7 days to leave the country which provides a bit of respite.

And then also takes his last page !!!

I was in this situation last year.. Couldnt get a passport any quicker and was almost full in my current one.. Actually got a bit tricky..

"you can do it at the Mukdahan crossing"

That's what I need to know.

In the off chance that my new passport doesn't come on time,

what are my options.

!- I could go to Chiang Khong/Huai Sai but that would take 1 and a half pages....right?....which I don't have.

2-I could go and try for a 1 week extension at immigration.Can I do this on one page and how much does it cost.

3--Any other options besides paying an overstay and would there be any problems with that,these days

"you can do it at the Mukdahan crossing"

That's what I need to know.

In the off chance that my new passport doesn't come on time,

what are my options.

!- I could go to Chiang Khong/Huai Sai but that would take 1 and a half pages....right?....which I don't have.

2-I could go and try for a 1 week extension at immigration.Can I do this on one page and how much does it cost.

3--Any other options besides paying an overstay and would there be any problems with that,these days

1. Correct

2. It would take less than half a page. You would get the 7 days without a problem.

3. A few days of overstay would not be a problem unless caught with it. At 500 baht a day it adds up to a lot in a hurry.

Last option would be to fly out and back to Malaysia which would not require a full page visa sticker. You could do it overland to Malaysia. Or at Ranong to Myanmar. Or get a e-visa for Cambodia and do a trip to there.

Is there no where in North Thailand to get into Burma by land..

What about flying from chiang mai

It might be worth trying Mae Sai. The worst that could happen is that they will say no and not let you leave. I have seen occasional post people saying the had done a crossing there without a visa. If you were to get a visa for Myanmar they would let you do the crossing.

From Chiang Mai flying to Malaysia would be possible. Flying to Myanmar you could apply for the visa online.

easy to enter Burma at Mai Sai /Tachilek, ( Aung san now says we can call it Burma or Myanmar)

but you must have ur visa from an embassy,

You can than travel as far at Kentung but thats it,

you than must fly if you wish to go anywhere else in Burma as land travel from there is not allowed.