Obama warns UK it will be at ‘back of the queue” for US trade if it votes to leave EU

rooster59

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Back of the queue"?

He was at the back of the queue when they were dishing out brains...<expletive> moron.

It does not exactly require rocket science for presenting the case as Obama did, but he simply skewered the Brexit case and handed their 'alternative' Atlantic head back to them on a platter. He has effectively scuppered the Brexit team as they now have no alternative strategy at all apart from a purely negative one and it is that which is driving our very own Brexiteers round the bend. I watched the whole thing live and even the aspirant hostile questions were easily swatted away.

We shall see on July 23 eh? The surveys dont mean a lot, but most are giving Brexit the edge. We are Brits, we can see through bullsh@t when its clearly bullsh@t....

Not sure what you are going to see on July 23 other than month-old newspapers. Odds are now lengthening on an OUT vote.

"Back of the queue"?

He was at the back of the queue when they were dishing out brains...<expletive> moron.

It does not exactly require rocket science for presenting the case as Obama did, but he simply skewered the Brexit case and handed their 'alternative' Atlantic head back to them on a platter. He has effectively scuppered the Brexit team as they now have no alternative strategy at all apart from a purely negative one and it is that which is driving our very own Brexiteers round the bend. I watched the whole thing live and even the aspirant hostile questions were easily swatted away.

We shall see on July 23 eh? The surveys dont mean a lot, but most are giving Brexit the edge. We are Brits, we can see through bullsh@t when its clearly bullsh@t....

Not sure what you are going to see on July 23 other than month-old newspapers. Odds are now lengthening on an OUT vote.

Unfortunately you could be right.

A bit of a mixture of the scare tactics being successful.

Apathy on the part of the electorate.

Many of the young will be filled with a sense of idealism, yet not having the experience of life,just like I and many others who were deceived in 1975.

Please tell me, how great is america in your eyes? Have you seen some of your cities? They are dead mate, there are NO dead cities in England...all going along nicely.

What future for Britain’s ‘rustbelt’ towns?

Whereas over the past two decades England’s big cities have developed strong service-sector economies, its smaller industrial towns have continued their relative decline. Hartlepool is typical of Britain’s rust belt in that it has grown far more slowly than the region it is in. So too is Wolverhampton, a small city west of Birmingham, and Hull, a city in east Yorkshire.

Fully 22% of people in Wolverhampton have no qualifications—against a national figure of 9%. As in Hull and Hartlepool, while not all the local schools are bad, their overall performance is appalling.

They often contain pockets of long-standing high unemployment especially among young people and older men. Poverty and social exclusion, housing blight and other forms of deterioration in the living environment and urban fabric are widely observed features of these sorts of regions.

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/what-future-for-britains-rustbelt-towns/

Edited by Scotwight

The Americans on this forum are supposed to appreciate it when foreign leaders tell America what it should and shouldn't do so I fully expect the Brits here to appreciate Obama's opinion on the matter.

You really don't get it yet do you ? Of course we Americans don't appreciate it.....but we really don't care because the fact still is that we are the largest economy and most potent military globally. When you can ascend the ladder to #1 then you can not care also.

Someone posted that Britain is the world's 6th largest economy....if they exit the EU...they will become the 7th, overtaken by France....is that the direction you want to go ?

The Americans on this forum are supposed to appreciate it when foreign leaders tell America what it should and shouldn't do so I fully expect the Brits here to appreciate Obama's opinion on the matter.

You really don't get it yet do you ? Of course we Americans don't appreciate it.....but we really don't care because the fact still is that we are the largest economy and most potent military globally. When you can ascend the ladder to #1 then you can not care also.

Someone posted that Britain is the world's 6th largest economy....if they exit the EU...they will become the 7th, overtaken by France....is that the direction you want to go ?

really don't care? lol. you may not but your state and defense departments sure do.

really don't care? lol. you may not but your state and defense departments sure do.

The inappropriate behaviors globally by both entities show that indeed they couldn't care less.

The inappropriate behaviors globally by both entities show that indeed they couldn't care less.

lol

Grouse - Great - we're back to opinion and insults - heavy sigh.

No wonder its impossible to reach an informed opinion on the subject.

Which insult?

This insult:-

"Now read up about it or ask a grown up"

An attempt at witticism! I obviously failed. I must be more sensitive to others. I must be more sensitive to others. I must......

Many of the young will be filled with a sense of idealism, yet not having the experience of life,just like I and many others who were deceived in 1975.

The OUT side has a very strong negative argument but we saw it trumped with Obama's comments IMHO. The real weakness for the OUTs is that there has been insufficient attention paid to detailed positive arguments as to what happens afterwards in the event of OUT winning the referendum. The IN side has presented a barrage of detailed data suggesting what would happen whereas what from the OUT side other than Boris's buffoonery about Obama's origins? The problem for the OUT side is that they thought all they had to do was get a referendum and the result was in the bag. This was politics worked out in the pub with Nigel.

The OUT side has a very strong negative argument but we saw it trumped with Obama's comments IMHO. The real weakness for the OUTs is that there has been insufficient attention paid to detailed positive arguments as to what happens afterwards in the event of OUT winning the referendum. The IN side has presented a barrage of detailed data suggesting what would happen whereas what from the OUT side other than Boris's buffoonery about Obama's origins? The problem for the OUT side is that they thought all they had to do was get a referendum and the result was in the bag. This was politics worked out in the pub with Nigel.

Nicely put! ?

All the talk seems to be about a trade deal with the US...

More importantly what about a deal with the EU? the out campaign are trying to say we would get a status like Switzerland or Norway as if it is a done deal... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just ask Merkel, Hollande or any of the EU leaders and their answer would almost certainly be similar to the US on any trade deal, they know the UK needs them more than they need the UK.

They don't really want a referendum, just fight for one for political gains pandering to their base. The conservatives in the UK take lessons from the US right wingers in Congress. Talk it up big, get elected, then do nothing you promised. Tax reform, abortion outlawing, repeal ObamaCare.....none of it done...decades of bluster has been great for fundraising but has accomplished almost nothing policy wise.

My sense is that very soon the referendum will turn into more of a "Ok we will stay but we want to limit immigration policies to the rest of you and then we are OK". But they may have gone too far already to turn back.

More importantly what about a deal with the EU? the out campaign are trying to say we would get a status like Switzerland or Norway as if it is a done deal... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just ask Merkel, Hollande or any of the EU leaders and their answer would almost certainly be similar to the US on any trade deal, they know the UK needs them more than they need the UK.

The U.K. Pays into the EU approximately 62million £ per day. The U.K. Imports far more from the EU than it exports to the EU.

One thing you can be sure of,if the UK does vote to leave the EU,the following day Benz,Volkswagen and many more will be knocking at Merkels door Demanding that she secures their exports to the UK by making a trade deal.

The U.K. Pays into the EU approximately 62million £ per day. The U.K. Imports far more from the EU than it exports to the EU.

One thing you can be sure of,if the UK does vote to leave the EU,the following day Benz,Volkswagen and many more will be knocking at Merkels door Demanding that she secures their exports to the UK by making a trade deal.

Britain pays the EU an estimated 340 pounds annually per household in contrast to a 3000 pound annual economic benefit.

Source: The Economist

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/02/graphics-britain-s-referendum-eu-membership

Britain pays the EU an estimated 340 pounds annually per household in contrast to a 3000 pound annual economic benefit.

Source: The Economist

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/02/graphics-britain-s-referendum-eu-membership

The beat goes on!

I do wish the Brexiteers would get their facts correct!

If sold less to the other guy than he sells to me then I'm at a disadvantage.

The EU would say to the UK, take our products, don't take our products, we don't care but I see that you need our stuff more than we need yours.

Given we don't need british stuff as much, and it isn't as essential to our economy, we'll stick a big fat tariff on it.

So british exporters are already at a disadvantage selling to their closest natural market.

As I said earlier, there will be ashen faced performances galore.

The EU would say to the UK, take our products, don't take our products, we don't care but I see that you need our stuff more than we need yours.

Given we don't need british stuff as much, and it isn't as essential to our economy, we'll stick a big fat tariff on it.

So british exporters are already at a disadvantage selling to their closest natural market.

But that's the thing. They may not want to buy from the UK,but 100% they do CARE and want to SELL to the UK. Much easier to find sellers than to find buyers. The world is a big place with a growing market,while the EU is enjoying stagnation.

But that's the thing. They may not want to buy from the UK,but 100% they do CARE and want to SELL to the UK. Much easier to find sellers than to find buyers. The world is a big place with a growing market,while the EU is enjoying stagnation.
So the UK drops it pants and lets the products in cheaply as possible (ie no barriers to entry, no tariffs) cause you really need them, and you are still stuck with high tariffs asking to the EU. Edited by samran

So the UK drops it pants and lets the products in cheaply as possible (ie no barriers to entry, no tariffs) cause you really need them, and you are still stuck with high tariffs asking to the EU.

It's late in the day Samrun, please write in plain English.

^^ there is an asymmetry in the trading relationship - and it is not to your advantage.

Apologies though - I note the iPhone butchered my last post. I note it is also adaptive - kept suggesting 'Alfie' instead of 'apologies' in my last sentence. Clearly knows we are taking about the UK...

Edited by samran

The inappropriate behaviors globally by both entities show that indeed they couldn't care less.Why are you so arrogant? My American mates don't talk like you...

If your military is so powerful, how come they cannot defeat a bunch of 7th century goat-humpers?

I'm sorry, but you only talk the talk, there isn't a war you have won in 50 years, even against minnows...when will you learn that when you put boots on the ground, you call on the Brits to 'help' you out... True?

Then your illustrious leader has the gall to say "trade agreement? Get to the back of the queue". Next time you want Britain to bail you out....get to the back of the queue!

You are sooo tough talking against little middle eastern countries, but shit your pants up against Russia (Crimea), or China, or Saudi....you ain't so tough.

Why won't you play nicely like the others??

So much bluster from the citizens of 'The failed Empire'....yeah....we always look to Britain to bail us out....ha ha....thanks for the chuckle tonite.

When you have a product or service that is superior to others, you don't queue to sell, but buyers queue to buy instead!

Can you please educate me as to what this product is? I am not being sarcastic here but just can't think of what the UK offers that anybody else needs so badly.

When you have a product or service that is superior to others, you don't queue to sell, but buyers queue to buy instead!

Can you please educate me as to what this product is? I am not being sarcastic here but just can't think of what the UK offers that anybody else needs so badly.

post-54430-0-08706400-1461777178_thumb.j

post-54430-0-61531000-1461777238_thumb.j