Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo – innocent in the 'trial by social media'

webfact

mon deputised - what a crock, the guy who was the primary suspect until Panaya was transferred suddenly lol, you couldn't make this stuff up......oh wait some people do

As for the crime scene, the primary task for a police officer discovering or responding to a reported murder is to seal it off to prevent contamination tampering and not let anyone enter including themselves until a Scenes of crime team or forensic team of experts arrive to process, this is very fundamental basic stuff

It is an often observed failing in Thailand were local police fail to involve or more likely don't want to involve independant forensic or SOCO officers, this can lead to accusations of crime scene manipulation, evidence tampering and a general lack of professionalism as we have all seen with this case, the government need to impliment and enforce certain proceedures especially at the scenes of serious crimes and murders

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe you and some of the other experienced ThaiVisa crime scene investigators can offer, as a public service, your vast experience and repertoire of proper crime scene procedures and techniques which may come in handy when the killers still on the loose strike again as many on here have assured us they will -- it's just a matter of time.

where is the link to this info? She is one of the top 25 in the world for forensics and for the good general not to graciously accept her participation really leads me to think the fish rottenly stink in Koh Tao. The whole crime scene with uncle Mon directing police traffic in the photos I saw sickened me with contamination of such backwards country bum -as bafoonery of police work, I can only believe they run the island with impunity. Big fish in a little pond on Koh Tao but social media makes them little fish in an ocean of world wide public opinion

with uncle Mon directing police traffic in the photos I saw sickened me with contamination of such backwards country bum -as bafoonery of police work,

More lies wrung out of the Facebook truth scrubbing machine.

Montriwat, as the brother of the village head, Tuvichien, was ' deputized" to assist police as is the headman's right and duty to do. The island at the time had very limited police presence.

When he stepped over that line, he was acting in an official capacity. Bodies had been moved, and wrapped by the ( admittedly limited forensic experienced ) officers already.

Using still shots it was CSI La that perpetuated the entire story of the Tuvichien's involvement along with some carefully edited and manipulated CCTV from Bangkok that sought to discredit NOm Sod's alibi.

Seen some very interesting FB conversations on Why CSI La fb page wanted to discredit this family- let's just say petty retribution was involved.

As I pointed out to you in a previous post on here, the bodies had NOT been wrapped when Montriwat Tuvichien stepped over the cordon and was on the beach with police. Obviously you have not seen the crime scene photos and continue to talk rubbish.

several key people involved in this case are now no longer available, Roti seller translater - the gardener that stated they moved the hoe and was told by Mon to put it back after cleaning it - B3 another key witness

And the female Burmese beach cleaner who was the first to find the bodies. And Panya Maman. And all the people who were the last to see Hannah and David alive.

The "evidence" should have been clear...why did they need to mess it up....?
And who says it isn't? Social media. People emotionally involved with large FB followings.

What turned my thinking around was the initial narrative, " Police planted evidence..." that then- after the verdict- became police messed with lab results ( and the police lab is ISO accredited - another lie put out that it wasn't)

So police planted DNA evidence, or otheriwse created a false chain and then either were incompetent or faked test results. Is that what you're arguing happened?

From the above Post #1: "No mention was made of what a great relief it was that two psychopathic killers were no longer on the loose, and the beaches of Koh Tao were once again safe to enjoy."

Since the two murders last September 2014 and the arrest of the 2 now convicted of those crimes, no one has fortunately similarly been bludgeoned to death and left on the beaches of Koh Tao. When that has ever been mentioned before on these pages, the response has generally been:

Those psychopathic killers still on the loose are clever and just biding their time.
Headslap. You really think that is evidence of their guilt?
Well every natural and accidental death since ( some completely fabricated even) has been used in attempts to exonerate them, so why not?

Why not? Well, because if blindingly simple and obviously logic. That's why not.

Face you in staring the.

Really? Because I think the premise police both planted (or faked) DNA evidence, and the also messed up on lab testing has no logic. If you're gonna plant evidence, make damn sure the lab processes it correctly because you do not want people snooping around it.
When that smelly pile started making the fb rounds just after the convictions, I had to step back and think- no that narrative is just complete BS and then I got curious about what else might be BS- and found out with just the smallest a bit of an open mind- just about ALL of it is.

You completely missed my actual point.

Way back in this quote chain, it was proposed that becuase the implied psychopathic murder spree had ended, the two Burmese must be guilty.

That was what I was objecting too.

And the logic, of why that proposition is not itself logical, is what I say is head slappingly obvious.

That's it.

Didn't comment on your outpouring of disbelief of SM content etc.

Slow news time in Samui? I can't think of any other reason why this article of reconstituted issues should be published at this time.

How can the people/person who did this terrible crime live with himself? He has two people in prison under the sentence of death for something they clearly did not do. He murdered two people for his own psychopathic desires and has caused endless pain, emotional and otherwise to many people. It is beyond me to countenance such mentality. It's about time the Thais fingered him and put an end to the misery that this has caused.

Or ,what are changes that the real killers are in prison actually evidence says so no need to take changes.. And well then people like you just silly fools .

It must be dificult to admit after falsely accusing rich and powerful for it. [emoji23]

DNA investigation in murder case of UK backpackers ‘incompetent’

Police in Thailand may be reported to an international regulator over the investigation of two Burmese men convicted of murdering British backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller. International legal and DNA forensic scientists have advised the defence team of the two Burmese, who were sentenced to death, to make a formal complaint and demand a retrial.

The bodies of Ms Witheridge, 23, and Mr Miller, 24, were found on the island of Koh Tao in September 2014.

The experts say at best the DNA investigation by the Thai Police Forensics Laboratory was incompetent with no chain of evidence or proper disclosure to the defence. The worst scenario is Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo were framed.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/dna-investigation-in-murder-case-of-uk-backpackers-incompetent-a3233786.html

Police in Thailand may be reported to an international regulator over the investigation of two Burmese men convicted of murdering British backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller. International legal and DNA forensic scientists have advised the defence team of the two Burmese, who were sentenced to death, to make a formal complaint and demand a retrial.

The bodies of Ms Witheridge, 23, and Mr Miller, 24, were found on the island of Koh Tao in September 2014.

The experts say at best the DNA investigation by the Thai Police Forensics Laboratory was incompetent with no chain of evidence or proper disclosure to the defence. The worst scenario is Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo were framed.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/dna-investigation-in-murder-case-of-uk-backpackers-incompetent-a3233786.html

well like I have been stating here for months, the DNA evidence used to convict the B2 was not reliable primarily because no original samples were ever produced, meaning it doesn't exist and there is no way to prove it ever did, DNA evidence is physical evidence just like a murder weapon, you cannot claim the bullet matched the gun if you cannot produce the gun, it really is that simple

well like I have been stating here for months, the DNA evidence used to convict the B2 was not reliable primarily because no original samples were ever produced, meaning it doesn't exist and there is no way to prove it ever did, DNA evidence is physical evidence just like a murder weapon, you cannot claim the bullet matched the gun if you cannot produce the gun, it really is that simple

I know..? Let see what the Police have under there sleeves now.. its going to be interesting few weeks ahead of us now and you never know they may not see court ...

where is the link to this info? She is one of the top 25 in the world for forensics and for the good general not to graciously accept her participation really leads me to think the fish rottenly stink in Koh Tao. The whole crime scene with uncle Mon directing police traffic in the photos I saw sickened me with contamination of such backwards country bum -as bafoonery of police work, I can only believe they run the island with impunity. Big fish in a little pond on Koh Tao but social media makes them little fish in an ocean of world wide public opinion

with uncle Mon directing police traffic in the photos I saw sickened me with contamination of such backwards country bum -as bafoonery of police work,

Montriwat, as the brother of the village head, Tuvichien, was ' deputized" to assist police as is the headman's right and duty to do. The island at the time had very limited police presence.

When he stepped over that line, he was acting in an official capacity. Bodies had been moved, and wrapped by the ( admittedly limited forensic experienced ) officers already.

Using still shots it was CSI La that perpetuated the entire story of the Tuvichien's involvement along with some carefully edited and manipulated CCTV from Bangkok that sought to discredit NOm Sod's alibi.

Seen some very interesting FB conversations on Why CSI La fb page wanted to discredit this family- let's just say petty retribution was involved.

so why the hell did uncle mon chase Sean into 711?

Because he thought Sean was involved? Because he thought Sean knew who was involved?

if Montriwat is a murderer, is he going to be chasing people around on various CCTV and then letting them video him cornering and confronting them? Let's remember there was a police man with Mon at this time.

There had been a crime of horrific proportions, of course the local headman's brother and his pal, the cop are going to be asking questions and looking people in the eye. They had perfectly valid reasons to suspect McAnna.

Does Mr McAnna strike you as a particularly credible person? He may have just wanted a bit of publicity- that seems to be a behavior motivator in a lot of folks involved with this case- and a later death, too.

that i can confirm .

what u said there pretty is accurate what went on with Sean ,how i know this is ? By fallowing the hole mess at the island at time.

Seems like everyone is so busy creating mad stories about it all that moust of it is just pure bs.

I know..? Let see what the Police have under there sleeves now.. its going to be interesting few weeks ahead of us now and you never know they may not see court ...

this is a considerable step up in international pressure when official bodies are getting involved and publicly calling foul, I can't believe it took this long

this is a considerable step up in international pressure when official bodies are getting involved and publicly calling foul, I can't believe it took this long

Yeah and i wonder what is next for saving face .. Just looking at this amazing and some of the police investigations are a joke in some cases ? http://www.farang-deaths.com/statistics/

Total documented cases: 232 Cases this month (April): 17 -88.24% Cases last month (March): 32 Cases this year (2016): 114 Latest case: John Diller Swanson (5 hours ago) Ages of death:
  • 4 years (lowest)
  • 82 years (highest)
  • 47 years (average)

I can't believe it took this long either. Something has shifted for the good. More about this on AD's page.

This thread shows that social media now act exactly like the tabloids by raising irrelevant the scabrous subjects for the sole purpose to react.
Or when trolls are inside ...

Irrelevant ?

As per the UK Standard article by you-know-who, "the International legal and DNA forensic scientists (who) have advised the defence team of the two Burmese" are presumably the same international team of forensic and DNA experts who have advised the defence team on their appeal since the verdict last 24 DEC 2015.

Whether or not Thai Criminal Procedure might allow the defence team "to make a formal complaint and demand a retrial" as part of their appeal, it doesn't seem to part of the standard appeal process.

from the standard article :

"The body is able to suspend accreditation for all Thai laboratories until the matter is resolved. "

also from another small article online.

APLAC has powers to suspend accreditation for all Thai laboratories until the matter is resolved – ending the certification of all Thai export products. It is responsible for the supervision of laboratories it accredits to operate under ISO 17025 andards. It monitors all investigations and BLQS will have to stand by its findings.

Added Jane Taupin:

from the standard article :

"The body is able to suspend accreditation for all Thai laboratories until the matter is resolved. "

also from another small article online.

APLAC has powers to suspend accreditation for all Thai laboratories until the matter is resolved – ending the certification of all Thai export products. It is responsible for the supervision of laboratories it accredits to operate under ISO 17025 andards. It monitors all investigations and BLQS will have to stand by its findings.

Added Jane Taupin:

In the article by you-know-who on his own website, the above quote was not from Ms. Taupin but from a "member of the team (who is) a Commonwealth barrister and trial observer, who asked to remain anonymous as he was in Thailand" and then said the above,.
Whether the APLAC would have the authority to suspend ALL organizations from Thailand who are members of APLAC or just the one responsible for the RTP lab is questionable.

This thread shows that social media now act exactly like the tabloids by raising irrelevant the scabrous subjects for the sole purpose to react.
Or when trolls are inside ...

Irrelevant ?

Looks like the so called experts can't help in the appeal, best advice they can give is send a letter lol.

Something I have noticed in Thailand is that you see the death see the medics and police pointing fingers and that’s the only thing we hear or see about the matter nothing about how long they have been sentenced or anything else for that matter just find that really odd and half the time these murders are down to face or jealousy in Thailand. and half the cases when it comes down to foreigners it gets brush under the carpet and the only thing you hear from the embassies is the same old copy and paste response that they notified the family

Deputized to assist huh ! :

The police have arrested a suspect in the murder of two British tourists in Koh Tao and are still hunting for a second suspect who has escaped into Bangkok.

Eighth Region Police Command commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen identified the first suspect as Mon.

He is the brother of a village headman in Koh Tao.

Deputized to assist huh ! :

The police have arrested a suspect in the murder of two British tourists in Koh Tao and are still hunting for a second suspect who has escaped into Bangkok.

Eighth Region Police Command commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen identified the first suspect as Mon.

He is the brother of a village headman in Koh Tao.

Just more of your misinformation

As for "arrested" , that was an error. He was questioned, DNA taken and then later ruled out.

Your article is from Sept 23, it was corrected to this:

(And BTW Panya was still in charge one day later. )

Sept 24, 2014

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/63857

Police interrogated Woraphan Toovichien, 49, a village headman and owner of AC Bar which is located near the murder scene, and his brother, Montriwat Toovichien, owner of In Touch resort and caretaker of AC Bar.

Both gave good cooperation to the police and they denied they had any connection.

DNA samples of the two brothers were collecting for testing and were later proved to not match with DNA collected from the scene and the victim’s body.

Both were later freed.

As I pointed out to you in a previous post on here, the bodies had NOT been wrapped when Montriwat Tuvichien stepped over the cordon and was on the beach with police. Obviously you have not seen the crime scene photos and continue to talk rubbish.

Really? The please then post up a pic of Mon crossing the boundary with the bodies shown as they were found- prior to being moved or wrapped - of course you can blur out the more graphic portions.

Or pm it to me if you prefer

I actually believe there is a gang or group of men there that prey on young western women picking a target and waiting until they see a vunerability then pounce ending up with attempted rape - rape - or in some cases murder and if anyone gets in the way they are dealt with also, these men believe they are untouchable and so far that seems to be the case, a post on TVF last year from a long term ex resident of the Island claimed that most of the incidents that occur go largely unreported and are kept out of the media, many young women claiming to have been assaulted and little or no action is taken by local law enforcement, it would be great if some of these victims would come forward and tell their story, obviously there is no way to prove that such incidents happen but there are some very strong indications.

So all these women never report these attacks to police or their embassy - or even talk it about it later in their home press? " Kept out of the media.." how so? They never tell about anything? All these women- just how many do you think it has happened to?

Do you think the number is higher than the amount of rape that goes on anywhere else? If true, isn't it possible the nature of the destination is a factor? Women partaking in drugs and alcohol are raped more frequently, all over the globe. Raped by locals, raped by their own friends, even.

I wiĺl add my 2 cents again. They got the right 2. No mafia...just 2 dirtbags and they got caught. The british police got involved and no way would they not have said something if they knew these 2 were innocent! Stop already and execute them and be finished.

I'm sorry but when I readd your comment i get cold shivering, Not to be personal, but if you talk like that you belong to the same category of 'dirtbag'-people that did the crime in no respect for other human beings.

it seems some foreigners lacking critical thinking ability find thailand or thailand finds them. water seeks its own level

<snip - link to Bangkok Post removed as per Forum Rules>

I read that article, twice- and will not pretend to understand the hocus pocus of the DNA this and that, which was exactly the intention. Baffle 'em with techno jargon such as this;

The scientists will not analyse entire genomes; instead they look at just a small part. How many areas are tested will differ by country, but in Thailand scientists will check for commonalities at 16 specific locations, which is considered acceptable by international standards.

At each of these 16 locations, there are many different possible genetic variations, known as alleles. Every person has two alleles at each location — one inherited from the mother and one from the father.

A simple analogy is to picture each allele as a box containing Scrabble pieces. If a forensic scientists opens 16 boxes and finds just two letters in each of them, then they can generally assume — as long as the sample is “true” — that there was only one contributor.

While two people can share alleles at individual locations, the odds of them sharing the same values at all 16 points are impossibly small. If testing found matches at 17 locations, the probability that it would be another person is one in 10 billion, according to Ms Taupin.

Thai judges aren't about to fall for it either, one page synopsis " DNA matched.." is all they need, they are not DNA lab techs.

And who's idea was it to get a western female to show up Thai police lab processes? Good move NOT allowing her on the stand.

As far as her statements, from below, she was not privy to any evidence, she does not understand Thai language, and I understand she was not even present at the trial, but waited to be called and was not.

And her status as "world’s foremost experts on DNA profiling" is a complete lie. Another meme passed about on social media.

She worked in labs. She has a bachelor's degree. She possesses no accreditation as a court witness.

She does have a keen sense of how to garner publicity and has a $60 AUS book for sell.

Here's what someone else wrote about what Taupin actually said:

https://web.facebook.com/BlindJusticeKohTao/photos/a.194966990855020.1073741830.193656064319446/195467454138307/?type=3&theater

What did Jane Taupin say about the DNA evidence?’ – Part 1

A critical analysis and evaluation of the Lindsay Murdoch article “Australian scientist Jane Taupin questions Koh Tao death penalty evidence”

Note: Part 1 will only be a discussion of direct quotes from Ms. Jane Taupin in the above article.

In Lindsay Murdoch’s 733 word article “Australian scientist Jane Taupin questions Koh Tao death penalty evidence”, only two sentences (51 words total) are actual quotes from Jane Taupin’s ‘review of the DNA evidence’ in the Koh Tao Murder Trial:

"The scientific records were not provided for review (for whatever reason) and thus as a scientist I could not perform a scientific review, or determine whether these records accorded with the principles of the standard," (see below for context)

"Without these, any scientific review is limited and thus itself does not achieve a proper standard," (see below for context)

From her quotes, the following can be ascertained:

- The ‘scientific records’ were not provided (either to Ms. Taupin, the Court, or both)

- Ms. Taupin could not perform a ‘scientific review’

- Ms. Taupin could not determine if the ‘scientific records’ were in agreement with the ‘principles of the standard’ or not because she never saw the records

- Without the records, any ‘scientific review’ conducted by Ms. Taupin is limited

- Any ‘scientific review’ that is conducted by Ms. Taupin on these records would not achieve a ‘proper standard’ for a ‘scientific review’

In summary, it was not possible for Ms. Taupin to determine whether or not the ‘scientific records’ met the ‘principles of the standard’ because they were not provided to her and therefore she could not evaluate them. If she did evaluate them without seeing them, her review would not meet that acceptable standards for a scientific review.

In other words, she couldn't evaluate something that she never saw.

Additional notes:

Ms. Jane Taupin is a Forensic Science Consultant from Melbourne, Australia and a non testifying expert witness for the defence team in the Koh Tao Murder Trial [1,2]

Mr. Lindsay Murdoch is a South-East Asia correspondent for Fairfax Media. [1]

Quote 1 Context:

In a review of the DNA evidence obtained by Fairfax Media, Ms Taupin said no documents detailing the collection, movement, handling and chain of custody of DNA samples were provided to the court which is required under United States and United Kingdom codes of practice.

"The scientific records were not provided for review (for whatever reason) and thus as a scientist I could not perform a scientific review, or determine whether these records accorded with the principles of the standard," she said.

Quote 2 Context

Ms Taupin said case file notes from the Thai police forensic laboratory should have been produced that showed a continuity of exhibits and the rationale for any scientific testing.

"Without these, any scientific review is limited and thus itself does not achieve a proper standard," she said.

REFERENCES:

[1] Murdoch, L. (2016, January 7 – 1:26AM). Australian scientist Jane Taupin questions Koh Tao death penalty evidence. The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 7 January 2016 from http://www.smh.com.au/…/australian-scientist-jane-taupin-qu…

Archived