"Sorry, cannot"...

JLT

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keep it simple, if someone tries to sell me an insurance (or a Wachtturm), <deleted> them. That bank would have lost my trust and my money. Competition is high enough.

Edited by MadMac

Always go to your home branch for stuff like that. If at all possible, close your account immediately with incompetents. I have four bank accounts here, never an ATM card. I think I've paid their ATM fee once in 18 years. I don't bank with US banks, that charge fees, either. Also, it seems like they eventually would have pulled your card out of the machine....seems like it would have been reasonable to put a staff member in charge of getting it back and calling you to pick it up. Why people bank at places with the worst rates is also puzzling.

Thats exactly what happened with me. I called the bank immediately, they asked me where the atm was located. The staff from SCB called me the next day to pick up my old card. Problem was solved with 1 phone call. Didn't need to have a new card.

Isn't it getting really difficult to open a bank account with ATM & debit card without a work permit nowadays?

I opened mine on a Ed-visa. Atm and debit cards use the money available in your account, no risks for the bank. Got my card immediately

I was surprised by tha last line, I would have expected him to agree to call them and then not called.

More likely the request would have confused the bank guy, probably thinking along the lines of

" silly farang, he have new card already, why bother to ring up bank "

Lost an ATM card a couple of years back. Discovered this on a Sunday. Went into my BKK bank, got the old card cancelled and had a new card inside of 15 minutes...on a freakin Sunday. Remembered saying to myself, "Couldn't do this back in the USA!"

Sounds like some bank managers are pushing the sales mix on the premium cards by refusing to issue the standard cards. Probably a good bonus. I used to do it selling phones in the UK, prepay phones were always "out of stock", the bonus multiplier on post-pay sales mix was more valuable than any prepay commission.

If, on not being supplied with the service you need, you go to close your account, things will happen. First, an account closure is time consuming. Second, closure of an account with a, by Thai standards, heavy flow of cash in and out each month is not going to look good on the branch.

I am fairly sure the reason we are sent to "home" branch for so many services is to ensure the other branches don't have the cost impact on their monthly outgoings. I used to send customers wanting a refund back to branch of purchase to avoid the return hitting our branch revenue. Its poor management at the top.

Always go to your home branch for stuff like that. If at all possible, close your account immediately with incompetents. I have four bank accounts here, never an ATM card. I think I've paid their ATM fee once in 18 years. I don't bank with US banks, that charge fees, either. Also, it seems like they eventually would have pulled your card out of the machine....seems like it would have been reasonable to put a staff member in charge of getting it back and calling you to pick it up. Why people bank at places with the worst rates is also puzzling.

Maybe you didn't read my post.

1) I didn't "lose" my card in an ATM, I misplaced / lost it - ergo, no card to "pull out of a machine

2) Your personal banking arrangements are less than interesting (at least, to me)

3) When i opened my account some many years ago, Kasikorn "rates" were competitive. So no, not puzzling at all.

Thank you for the benefit of your "wisdom".

like I stated...that was an issue for your home branch. But, then you wouldn't have been able to give us the 900 words on why you are a loser.

I am fairly sure the reason we are sent to "home" branch for so many services is to ensure the other branches don't have the cost impact on their monthly outgoings. I used to send customers wanting a refund back to branch of purchase to avoid the return hitting our branch revenue. Its poor management at the top.

My mother in law was a manageress at a Ladbrookes betting shop for years. Once on a trip back home we bought a ticket for the Irish lottery, then (don't know about now) only available at the bookies. We won GBP50. Very exciting for us as we don't gamble normally and the ticket had only cost 2 pounds. We were in Whitby on a trip the following day and went into a Ladbrookes to cash it in. The manager wasn't very happy, asking where we'd bought it, couldn't we go back there - when he said that, I was determined NOT to go back to the place we'd bought it as it's nationwide and we went into any branch, as it said we could on the ticket - if he'd been a bit less grumpy, my hackles wouldn't have been raised, if he'd asked us nicely we probably would have. Mentioned it to mother in law when we got back that he'd been a bit off hand and grumpy, and she said he would be - it would have a fair impact on his daily balance, especially if it were a small shop. They like you to go back to where you bought the ticket.

And the bank staff in Australia are instructed to ask you if you are happy with your current mortgage or insurance to every customer at the counter. You can tell they don't want to, especially if you are a regular and get the same teller time after time and they know you aren't buying anything. A lot of pressure was being put on the tellers to get people into appointmens with the hard sell folk, they were marked down on their performance if they didn't generate enough leads. This was 9 years ago when we left, I don't know if it's changed now. I hope it has, because the customers don't like it and the staff don't like it; they took jobs as bank tellers, not cold call type sales people. They must get business over it though or they wouldn't continue to do it.

Lost an ATM card a couple of years back. Discovered this on a Sunday. Went into my BKK bank, got the old card cancelled and had a new card inside of 15 minutes...on a freakin Sunday. Remembered saying to myself, "Couldn't do this back in the USA!"

My experience much the same. When i realised id lost the card i was able to log online and immediately get the card cancelled. 5 mins walk to bank, 10 mins and 150bht later,new card.

Cant do that at home, wait 45 mins on hold on the phone before talking to someone in an Indian call centre.

After going though a myriad of long forgotten numbers and security questions, the result is wait 3 working days for postage of the card and a further day for them to send the temporary PIN in a seperate letter. Ridiculous

Funny how the west can label certain places as 3rd world, yet their own banking systems fail miserably in comparison to service and value to that of many Asian banks.

And you've never lost your temper? Maybe not, because you're too old? Thanks for sharing.

No, I didn't lose my temper. Not because I'm too old but because I've learnt that (especially in Thailand), it's a waste of time.

But thanks for your pointless comment...

..oh! well ..filled in a day...they seem to make so many hurdles for themselves and don't see the simple logic.

My biggest banking saga here, or anywhere for that matter, was I went into my Krung Thai branch and wanted to make an anonymous donation to a charity. I specifically asked for my name not to be on it and made sure the teller understood my request. She had the worst attitude and agreed disgruntledly I assume because she didn't want to be told how to do her job when I was actually just explaining what I wanted done. We'll she decided to do it her way and put my name of it, out of spite I believe, by walking out of my sight to do it. She actually she walked out of the bank to the bank next door where the charity's account was and made the transaction so I couldn't see what she was doing.

When she came back to have me sign I refused as it was not what I wanted and she had obviously just tried to pull a power play on me. But her tricky way of doing it made the money transfer already. Instead of fight with her about it I just left the bank quietly.

Well a few days after a bank manager called and yelled to come back into the bank because there was a problem. As it wasn't my problem and fully caused by them, intentionally I felt, I didn't need to spend any more of my time on it so I told him so.

I finally agreed after many more calls from him as the guy who the charity bank acct. was under also called to say the police was looking for him.

When I went in it turned out if was just the tellers boyfriend who had called pretending to be the bank manager lying to get me back in. Once there it was just her there pleading with me to pay the money as since she made the mistake she would have to pay for it. I told the police who they called to be there too that I didn't do anything wrong nor did the Charity. Anyways he was just there to intimidate me. I just walked out again and promptly withdrew my money from the account as I have others in different banks here.

Now I understand 3000 bht is a lot of money for a teller but figured it might teach her not to intentionally make problems and then lie and plus with the horrible way she treated me I had no sympathy.

Perhaps she didn't learn but I would never help anyone who disrespects me so much.

I assume a bank in America wouldn't make a teller pay for a mistake but then again I could imagine even less one would act this way and be allowed to carry one as the real manager knew that something was going on but refused to get involved. TIT for sure!

Withdraw all money using bank book.

Walk next door to another bank.

Open account and get ATM card.

It isn't all that hard.

You're joking right?

Yes, not hard, but a $100 solutiion to a $5 problem.

Thanks for your story JLT, it sounds familiar.

But in this case I would do (and I actually did) like Britman suggests. Much happier with my new bank/branch, so worthy the initial hassle.

btw, my bank's online banking has an entry to "Request a replacement card".

It is also worth noting that a "knee jerk reaction" and tantrum of closing an account "could" lead to severe difficulties for some people, as some banks are now insisting on a "work permit" to open a new account.

As with many things Thai there is rarely consistency, but my advice, would be to check you can actually open another account somewhere BEFORE you close an existing one or you could end up with no account at all.

JLT

Your experience is what is we all know as "thainess" clap2.gif

gotta love the place gigglem.gif

Yes, because no Farang bank or credit card issuer has ever been a pain in the derriere to deal with.

The next time I'm trying to deal with some minimum wage moron at PayPal I'll just remind myself that he's exhibiting Thainess.

But at Kasikorn Bank "Towards Service Excellence" and "Service is our heart, so you can 'Leave everything in our hands'." is meant to give you warm fuzzies... maybe you should complain to the Office of Consumer Protection Board.... one day they must take action against such blatant misleading advertising!!!

If you lose your Kasikorn ATM card just go to the branch where you opened the account, with your passport and bank book and they'll give you a new card in 2 minutes without all that fuss.

At least that has been my experience here in Bangkok, twice in the past 7 years.

dave2, on 25 Apr 2016 - 11:29, said:

re

desperately in need of coffee.

here ya go smile.png

now if you hadnt lost your card

you wouldnt heve met all the lovely bank staff !

just joshin .. enjoy .. dave2

Great looking coffee !!! As far as the OP, in Thailand sometimes the service is Great and other times it could be better-understatement...Usually is it not a big amount of money involves so you can accept the Thainess.

Withdraw all money using bank book.

Walk next door to another bank.

Open account and get ATM card.

It isn't all that hard.

I want to withdraw all money from my account !

"cannot"

Why not?

"sorry sir, cannot - you go other branch, can .."

never mind ...bah.gif

I use Bangkok Bank. A non-BB ATM ate my card at the condo. Called them up. Cancelled the card. Went to the nearest office and got a replacement. Short que and was done in less than 10 minutes when it was my turn. After a year or so that card stopped working. Went to the BB office at Bumrungrad, since I was there, and was able to get a card with the gold chip. Score. Just had my bank book and passport. Again, only about 10 minutes and was done. Doubt I will change bank due to stories like this.

I think what people need to understand and appreciate, that what happens/happened to one person in one particular place, is not likely to happen everywhere to everyone.

In Thailand, you could go to the same place an hour later see someone different and have an entirely different experience (worse or better).

That's just how life is/can be, here.

It doesnt just apply to Banking either, it applies to almost everything. smile.png