Why the incredible traffic congestion in Pattaya?

Asiantravel

Several reasons and nobody mentioned the poor infrastructure (not enough decent roads).

Others: no proper bypasses for Pattaya and the railway road (Pattaya Bypass ha ha) nightmare; too many buses allowed to do what they want; too many cars from BKK with one or two occupants; poor traffic monitoring and control; traffic rules ignored by "me-firsts" and new popular big stores built within all this mess!!

There must be more but I'm tired.gigglem.gif

So let's "solve" the problem with a traffic cop behind every tree ready to jump out and hand out $200-300 traffic fines for every offense, congestion traffic pricing for all of Central Pattaya, parking meters on the streets with $100 fines for expired meters, and traffic and speed cameras at all intersections. No thanks, I'll keep it the way it is!

We are in Thailand not USA, the currency is Thai BAHT.

Please keep up.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several reasons and nobody mentioned the poor infrastructure (not enough decent roads).

Others: no proper bypasses for Pattaya and the railway road (Pattaya Bypass ha ha) nightmare; too many buses allowed to do what they want; too many cars from BKK with one or two occupants; poor traffic monitoring and control; traffic rules ignored by "me-firsts" and new popular big stores built within all this mess!!

So let's "solve" the problem with a traffic cop behind every tree ready to jump out and hand out $200-300 traffic fines for every offense, congestion traffic pricing for all of Central Pattaya, parking meters on the streets with $100 fines for expired meters, and traffic and speed cameras at all intersections. No thanks, I'll keep it the way it is!

Nobody is suggesting that extreme. But is it really too much to ask for traffic cops at the dozen or so key areas where major backups occur due to violations? I don't think so. I happen to believe in law and order as a basic principle of civilization. Pattaya actually has decent traffic laws. It's "order" part that is virtually non-existent. That's where enforcement comes in; and I'm all for it.

I can extend your report to include Sukhumvit Rd last night, and Pattaya Nua, 3rd Rd, and Sukhumvit again today.

I took my wife shopping last night at Macro and Lotus (Suk). I live on the darkside. It took 45 minutes to get to Macro (from the east end of Nernplubwarn). We finished there at 8:30. Suk was STILL heavy. It took 10 minutes to get from Macro to Lotus!

Today, I had to go to Home Pro and Foodland. Left my house at 2:30. Got to Home Pro at 2:45. I've been using the longer (distance) route lately. I go north on Nongprue Road, then up onto 7 to Suk; right on Suk to Pattaya Nua; left to 3rd Rd; 3rd Rd to back entrance to Big C Extra. Although that's about 1 km longer than the convoluted route to Pattaya Klang from my house, it's usually about 10 minutes faster. NOT today. Coming home from Foodland, the usual backup at the top of Klang to turn south, and go up the 7 ramp; with heavy traffic on Suk all the way to the ramp. Not bad once off the ramp and onto the RR bypass, and the u-turn to get back to Soi Siam CC.

Like the OP, I am mystified as to why traffic is so heavy. I thought the BKK crowd, and most other tourists, would clear out after Songkran.

I've got to back to that hell hole again tomorrow to Wattana; and then lunch at Tequila Reef. I'm hoping for a much better traffic situation; but I won't bet on it!

If u think it is a hellhole why stay there??

Umm ... because I have business to do there that can't be done on my side of Sukhumvit. ... Good grief!

OP included the question why? I have answered with the main reasons, they are not solutions.

The problem is of course the buses. If something isn't done to control them they will bring Pattaya to a standstill. Everywhere you go it's lines and lines of buses. No town could cope with that especially a small one like Pattaya. Add in the new Habour mall on Klang and it's a recipe for disaster.

The bus congestion is mainly confined to Beach Road during the day and upper-Second Road during the evening cabaret show performances. So most of Pattaya is not affected. As to Harbor Mall, again, the affect on traffic has been not as bad as I expected. Sure, on weekends, by the afternoon, things get gummed up a bit but they also try to minimize this by closing off making a left turn entry while driving west.

People who can't adjust to traffic and parking issues really have no business living in a popular beach resort town. Thailand is big so go out and find your own piece of "paradise."

they also try to minimize this by closing off making a left turn entry while driving west.

When driving west harbor mall is on the right side, not? So I guess you meant to say turn right.

Also how do they minimize traffic congestion by closing the entry? In my opinion this only makes it worse as all the cars will make a uturn further down the road.

I think central Pattaya no longer has a slow season. Asian tourists are increasing and they are coming year-round. Today there are around 80 tour buses parked on the big Chang empty land where they hold music concerts. At 7:30 or 8 in the morning when I am drinking my first cup of coffee on the balcony there is a steady stream of buses going up Pattaya Second Road--so many it almost looks like a train. For those of you expecting things to get better when the tunnel opens, it is my understanding that it is just the first of 3 planned tunnels and Sukhumvit will have tunnel construction into the far future.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts corrected

The problem is of course the buses. If something isn't done to control them they will bring Pattaya to a standstill. Everywhere you go it's lines and lines of buses. No town could cope with that especially a small one like Pattaya. Add in the new Habour mall on Klang and it's a recipe for disaster.

The bus congestion is mainly confined to Beach Road during the day and upper-Second Road during the evening cabaret show performances. So most of Pattaya is not affected. As to Harbor Mall, again, the affect on traffic has been not as bad as I expected. Sure, on weekends, by the afternoon, things get gummed up a bit but they also try to minimize this by closing off making a left turn entry while driving west.

People who can't adjust to traffic and parking issues really have no business living in a popular beach resort town. Thailand is big so go out and find your own piece of "paradise."

they also try to minimize this by closing off making a left turn entry while driving west.

When driving west harbor mall is on the right side, not? So I guess you meant to say turn right.

Also how do they minimize traffic congestion by closing the entry? In my opinion this only makes it worse as all the cars will make a uturn further down the road.

Yes, my bad there...I meant right. I believe it helps somewhat to prevent congestion by doing this but of course, it can be done further down the street and at the foodland entrance. Every little bit helps. The entry isn't closed, just the access from the west-bound central road traffic.

The busses are the problem most of the time. The way they affect traffic all over Pattaya is much greater than you think. If all you did was replace the tour busses with a minivans, the traffic improvement would be tremendous. It is really quite simple and easy to implement.

I gather that the major traffic problems last weekend were caused by a "residu" of Songkran partyers + a huge number of metropolitans that were escaping the heat of the big city.

The latter may be a reason for another weekend of congestion during coming weekend and beware......it'll be a long weekend as well: Labor Day on Sunday with its substitute holiday on Monday.

That also implies that banks and gov't offices (e.g. Immigration) will be closed.

The busses are the problem most of the time. The way they affect traffic all over Pattaya is much greater than you think. If all you did was replace the tour busses with a minivans, the traffic improvement would be tremendous. It is really quite simple and easy to implement.

So replacing one bus with 6-8 vans or songtows is a traffic "improvement"? I don't really know which would be worse. Suffice it to say Pattaya is (and has been for years) changing into a "mass tourism" resort. This brings with it improved shopping, restaurant, and entertainment options but also increased traffic congestion, noise, and pollution. It will only get more intense in the future...one has to accept it or relocate outside the city center or to another amphur or chiangwat. Winging won't change anything.

somehow I dont think that would work, the vans would take up more space then the buses

I've come to the conclusion that the average Thai doesn't care if they are stuck in the traffic for 45 minutes or two hours. That's why nothing is done to improve the traffic flow. It's as simple as that.

What a ridiculous, self-absorbed comment.

Do you think people stuck in traffic jams everyday around the world are indifferent to them because if they really, really cared, they'd magically disappear?

"It's as simple as that."

Simple is certainly the appropriate word, but probably not in the way you meant. It's on a par with most of the comments that supposedly describe how the Thais (all 67 million of them) think or act in some innately inferior way to the marvelous farang.

I get the feeling from your posts that you're 50% Thai. If not, you're one of those strange people who hates his own kind. Probably look in the mirror every morning and think "Oh no, I'm still me".

So replacing one bus with 6-8 vans or songtows is a traffic "improvement"? I don't really know which would be worse.

Well I do. I have spent plenty of time sitting in stopped traffic observing how the tour busses cause havoc.

The most obvious reason is that they just aren't maneuverable enough to navigate the streets of Pattaya. If they just stayed on major roads, it wouldn't be so bad but they take side sois to get to hotels and other venues. They are constantly blocking the major roads trying to pull into and out of the side sois.

The second biggest problem is that they are frequently loading and unloading passengers. This wouldn't really be an issue if it was done in a parking lot, but they commonly load and unload on the street, because there is nowhere for these busses to park. It takes quite a long time to load 50-60 people through one door. Split them up into many minivans and the loading time is decreased significantly.

The third thing that really bothers me is from an an environmental point of view. The busses are super loud and commonly puff black smoke from the exhaust. They also put out a ton of heat out the back. These things make it quite uncomfortable to ride near them on a motorbike. I wold just take the car to avoid this, but with all the traffic back ups lately I am forced to use the bike or spend an hour in traffic at night.

somehow I dont think that would work, the vans would take up more space then the buses

You are looking at this rather simplistically. See my explanation above.

Tried to get to Makro Sunday night and last night from the Darkside to stock up with beer and other essentials, Sukhumvit Road outside was just a car park with loads of big tour buses among the other traffic, I just turned round and came back, i will try again tonight.

I think central Pattaya no longer has a slow season. Asian tourists are increasing and they are coming year-round. Today there are around 80 tour buses parked on the big Chang empty land where they hold music concerts. At 7:30 or 8 in the morning when I am drinking my first cup of coffee on the balcony there is a steady stream of buses going up Pattaya Second Road--so many it almost looks like a train. For those of you expecting things to get better when the tunnel opens, it is my understanding that it is just the first of 3 planned tunnels and Sukhumvit will have tunnel construction into the far future.

They must be on their way to Chiang Mai. I often see caterpillars of buses snaking their way down Huay Kaew Rd, having filled up with tourists. They seem way too big for the narrow roads of this city.

I can extend your report to include Sukhumvit Rd last night, and Pattaya Nua, 3rd Rd, and Sukhumvit again today.

I took my wife shopping last night at Macro and Lotus (Suk). I live on the darkside. It took 45 minutes to get to Macro (from the east end of Nernplubwarn). We finished there at 8:30. Suk was STILL heavy. It took 10 minutes to get from Macro to Lotus!

Today, I had to go to Home Pro and Foodland. Left my house at 2:30. Got to Home Pro at 2:45. I've been using the longer (distance) route lately. I go north on Nongprue Road, then up onto 7 to Suk; right on Suk to Pattaya Nua; left to 3rd Rd; 3rd Rd to back entrance to Big C Extra. Although that's about 1 km longer than the convoluted route to Pattaya Klang from my house, it's usually about 10 minutes faster. NOT today. Coming home from Foodland, the usual backup at the top of Klang to turn south, and go up the 7 ramp; with heavy traffic on Suk all the way to the ramp. Not bad once off the ramp and onto the RR bypass, and the u-turn to get back to Soi Siam CC.

Like the OP, I am mystified as to why traffic is so heavy. I thought the BKK crowd, and most other tourists, would clear out after Songkran.

I've got to back to that hell hole again tomorrow to Wattana; and then lunch at Tequila Reef. I'm hoping for a much better traffic situation; but I won't bet on it!

If u think it is a hellhole why stay there??

About a year ago most of the buses along Beach rd were in the morning delivering and picking up the tour groups. Now that activity goes on well into afternoon.

Today is Tuesday and a non holiday. Beach rd was jammed with buses from Dusit curve ( and up to Dolphin) as far as I could see South at 1330 to 1400 on this weekday.

Dont forget it was city hall that allowed Beach rd to be widened and the Beach walk destroyed , trees cut down just to accommodate the mass touring Chinese.

These same Chinese who are paying 2 and 3 star prices and staying wholesale in 4 and 5 star hotels.

Edited by morrobay

I have a business on second Rd. and traffic on Monday was unusual. It must be the Bangkok crowd not returning to work yet. Since the 1990's I have seen buses as a part of normal business here. I don't think it is really worse than 1994-97 or 2003-2008 as compared to now, however they are mostly using smaller buses about 2/3 the size of regular buses. Going by car or motorbike I really have no problems getting around anywhere in Pattaya or going to the dark side. The secret is using the side soi's to get where you want to go and the non-gridlocked points going over Suk.

I've come to the conclusion that the average Thai doesn't care if they are stuck in the traffic for 45 minutes or two hours. That's why nothing is done to improve the traffic flow. It's as simple as that.

Do you think people stuck in traffic jams everyday around the world are indifferent to them because if they really, really cared, they'd magically disappear?

Simple is certainly the appropriate word, but probably not in the way you meant. It's on a par with most of the comments that supposedly describe how the Thais (all 67 million of them) think or act in some innately inferior way to the marvelous farang.

Why???

My farang country has an innately superior traffic management system in place, go through a red light, block an intersection you get fined. Double park blocking one lane, you get fined, get it???

Seeing as you understand the Thai psyche, maybe you could explain the rationale in building three tunnels under Nua, Klang and Tai which is probably going to disrupt the traffic for over 12 years, as opposed to three overpasses. That's ridiculous.

I'll also apologise for having a better education than 66.9 million Thais.

I get the feeling from your posts that you're 50% Thai. If not, you're one of those strange people who hates his own kind. Probably look in the mirror every morning and think "Oh no, I'm still me".

"Suridit69", is a American, but would "LOVE" to be 100 % Thai. Yes, he hates his own kind.

On Sunday morning I turned right off the 7 onto Sukhumvit, entering the left lane so as to go up Pattaya Nua.

There is just the one inside lane for turning left into Pattaya Nua. However, the Thai drivers made 3 lanes, and both the outside lanes were attempting to push into the inner lanes, patta Nia road was totally full.

Not a policeman to be seen, Saturday, Sunday or yesterday,

If you are not in the correct lane for either turning left or right, then you should have to continue straight on. Anything else should warrant a 5,000baht fine! The problem is the Thai attitude ME FIRST!!!

There's only 1 solution to that, and it's not a human solution (those won't work - the "me first" is too engrained): don't just paint the divider lines to the turn-off lane, but make them 20cm high concrete. All the way, up to and including where the turn-off road is. It's been done in quite a few places in BKK; I don't see why it couldn't be done here.

As has been stated above, the reason is busses filled with Chinese tourists. Traffic

is one of the reasons I ride a scooter (as dangerous as that is). The world is full of

choices, that is my choice. If travel by car, keep the air-con cranked, the tunes

playing, and remain patient.

I think it is pretty obvious the cause of all the problems are the police.....

How many times have you seen something illegal in a car and also seen a policeman watching and not doing anything? Yesterday there was one on Suk directing traffic and all around people were driving illegally(u-turns, parking close to intersections, going through red lights, turning from the wrong lane etc).

If these people were stopped and fined by the police who were there watching it happen, they would hesitate to do it again.

In my experience there are more police here per capita than my own country(definitely they are more visible), but they only ever lift a finger to do their jobs if: A) it is convenient and cool.png there is something in it for them.

I am not even asking them to go on one of their patented "crackdowns", just when you see somebody do something wrong remember who you are and what your job is and do it.

As a side note, I hate driving in Australia because I know if I do the slightest thing wrong I will be fined massively. I was once caught not driving with a seatbelt in Australia and when I was stopped ended up getting over $2500 in fines, I was pissed off but I will always where my seatbelt from now on. It will be hard at first, but once people realise if they don't drive properly they will be punished they will soon start driving properly....

Of course, it could be the drivers themselves. I saw this ad on Facebook with over 700 comments from Thai people wanting to buy(not a single one pointed out the stupidity of such a product):

Ps. Just in case the picture isn't clear, it is a plug you put in your seatbelt to prevent the seatbelt alarm going off when you are driving without one.

post-149771-0-36008100-1461660551_thumb.

As has been stated above, the reason is busses filled with Chinese tourists. Traffic

is one of the reasons I ride a scooter (as dangerous as that is). The world is full of

choices, that is my choice. If travel by car, keep the air-con cranked, the tunes

playing, and remain patient.

Funny the choices people make in life...I choose to do just the opposite. I would never drive a scooter in Pattaya/Thailand (unless on a remote island or mountain resort area). I prefer to ride in relative safety, air-con comfort, and if stuck in traffic...reading, listening to podcasts, or watching a movie. I'm rarely more than 5-10 minutes behind a scooter riding friend if we're taking off from the same point and meeting somewhere else...and my life and comfort is certainly worth 5-10 minutes...maybe even 15.

How many times have you seen something illegal in a car and also seen a policeman watching and not doing anything? Yesterday there was one on Suk directing traffic and all around people were driving illegally(u-turns, parking close to intersections, going through red lights, turning from the wrong lane etc).

If these people were stopped and fined by the police who were there watching it happen, they would hesitate to do it again.

In my experience there are more police here per capita than my own country(definitely they are more visible), but they only ever lift a finger to do their jobs if: A) it is convenient and cool.png there is something in it for them.

I am not even asking them to go on one of their patented "crackdowns", just when you see somebody do something wrong remember who you are and what your job is and do it.

As a side note, I hate driving in Australia because I know if I do the slightest thing wrong I will be fined massively. I was once caught not driving with a seatbelt in Australia and when I was stopped ended up getting over $2500 in fines, I was pissed off but I will always where my seatbelt from now on. It will be hard at first, but once people realise if they don't drive properly they will be punished they will soon start driving properly....

Of course, it could be the drivers themselves. I saw this ad on Facebook with over 700 comments from Thai people wanting to buy(not a single one pointed out the stupidity of such a product):

Ps. Just in case the picture isn't clear, it is a plug you put in your seatbelt to prevent the seatbelt alarm going off when you are driving without one.

I think the police are doing a fine non-job and long may they continue in their non-harassment of drivers (at least ones in cars...don't care about the scooter brigade).

I think the police are doing a fine non-job and long may they continue in their non-harassment of drivers (at least ones in cars...don't care about the scooter brigade).

I agree.....when I am the one doing something wrong.

But, you can't have it both ways. Either they become more stringent or the poor driving and the traffic that it results in will continue.