Udon cremation sites latest - man alleges four cops threatened to kill him and took ransoms

webfact

Udon cremation sites latest - man alleges four cops threatened to kill him and took ransoms

ud.jpg
Image: Daily News

UDON THANI:-- The case in Udon where many suspected human remains have been found charred in an area of land in Ban Pheu took a further murky turn yesterday.

A meeting of top brass chaired by Piya Sorntragun was interrupted as a man named as "Uncle Joo" claimed he was threatened by police and would end up in the field if he did not pay ransoms, reports Daily News.

Some 16 piles of ashes have been found in the two rai of land and investigations are underway to find out how many are human remains. Possible victims were burnt using piles of tyres to ensure incineration.

"Joo" went to the meeting and called for justice. He admitted he had previously faced a drugs charge and done time in Nong Khai prison. He said more than half a million baht was extorted by bent coopers.

He told reporters he was approached by two senior cops and two subordinates and produced their pictures and their names. He said they found him in his lorry delivering sugar cane and detained him against his will in a nearby resort and made him contact relatives to bring a ransom of 260,000 baht to secure his freedom.

The ransom was paid but the officers sought him out again, he said, this time demanding 300,000, otherwise "they would burn me in a ring of tyres just like the others in the news." Terrified by this, the money was paid, he claimed.

"And as if that was not enough," he went on, "they came back for a third time but I decided to seek the advice of relatives and when I heard there was a meeting decided to come here today."

He also alleged that at another time police had warned him never to raise the subject of what happened otherwise both he and his family would be killed.

Chief Piya put Udon police chief Piyapong Wongsaman in charge of this development in the case saying that if the allegations are proved there would be severe penalties for the officers involved while the investigative team will further look into whether there are indeed connections between these allegations and the discovery of the cremated remains at Ban Pheu.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-26

(Don't) judge the entire RTP force based on this one incident!

They are vile.

They are judged on thousands of incidents.

And there are over 200,000 officers.. The vast majority doing an OK job.. Are they up to Western standards NO but they are doing the job they were trained to do.. It really is the minority that ARE vile!

PS: the US and other Western countries had a few well documented police abuse cases in the 70's and 80's.

Edited by casualbiker

These allegations certainly raise questions , Mr joo needs to carry around a recording device if he thinks this complaint isn't going anywhere and the mobile set firmly on camera , the problem is if you wake up dead in the morning or just disappear , you can't finger the culprits...........................................coffee1.gif .

They are vile.

And there are over 200,000 officers.. The vast majority doing an OK job.. Are they up to Western standards NO but they are doing the job they were trained to do.. It really is the minority that ARE vile!

PS: the US and other Western countries had a few well documented police abuse cases in the 70's and 80's.

Yes many policemen probably do try and do a decent job. and yes the UK and US has had cases of abuse. but I don't think that abuse was as institutionally condoned. covered up, as incompetently investigated or as inadequately punished as here.

"He admitted he had previously faced a drugs charge and done time in Nong Khai prison. He said more than half a million baht was extorted by bent coopers."

I guess they had the poor guy over a barrel unable to stave off their extortionate demands..

"He admitted he had previously faced a drugs charge and done time in Nong Khai prison. He said more than half a million baht was extorted by bent coopers."

I guess they had the poor guy over a barrel unable to stave off their extortionate demands..

Yeah! the guy was delivering sugar cane when he was approached by the alleged corrupt police. Everyone knows sugar cane is one of the most profitable businesses one can engage in in the LOS.

Edited by AlQaholic

The good cops here are very. VERY much in the minority here my friend.

The cops and the other big "security" agency in Thailand are the biggest mafias here my light years.

You can see "good cops" everywhere in Thailand, they can usually be found directing traffic in an intersection or working from a small rural police station in nakhon nowhere.

On a side note, the land office recently surpassed the RTP as being perceived the most corrupt organization in Thailand by the Thai Public, but just by a little bit.

...genuinely lost for words at this alleged RTP conduct. Hopefully an independent Police unit will investigate.

Respect for the courage in speaking up Uncle Joo.

Yeah, I bet they will ask Scotland Yard for help ...

They are vile.

My point exactly!

... Any attempt at irony on this Forum is pretty much like trying to explain something in Latin to a donkey.