Girlfriend killed as Bangkok cop crosses bridge on motorcycle - despite ban

webfact

Girlfriend killed as Bangkok cop crosses bridge on motorcycle - despite ban

bri.jpg
Image: Voice TV

BANGKOK:-- A policeman on a "big bike" on Bhumibol 1 bridge in Bangkok lost control resulting in the death of his girlfriend in the early hours of Monday morning.

The officer from Lat Prao station - out with friends - collided with a barrier on a corner of the long bridge across the Chao Phraya river. His girlfriend hit the road and was run over by a truck, reports Voice TV.

Officer Chaiyan Thongkhamchum then apparently fired his pistol into the air in grief several times before trying to kill himself before his friends intervened. He was taken to hospital.

The accident comes just three weeks after police announced a crackdown on bikes riding on many city bridges, overpasses and in tunnels.

Police spokesman Dechnarong Suthicharnbanchai said that the matter would be fully investigated including claims that the bike was moved to conceal important evidence.

Before Songkran, police checkpoints on this bridge resulted in many bikers turning back against oncoming traffic to avoid paying fines.

Source: Voice TV

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-26

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The guy just lost his girlfriend and maybe saw when a truck rolled over her body. And there are people who talk about alcohol, speeding and other nonsense?

How do you live with such a tragic accident? And does it turn you on when you write something bad about a guy who's already fragged?

I was drunk quite a few times on a big bike and speeding. I only had good luck that nobody died.

RIP to the deceased. wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Another Royal Thailand Police officer gives a demonstration of the professionalism and respect for the law that the Thai police are famous for.

And this irresponsible fool is not only a police officer, but allowed to carry a fire arm. Impressive.

The guy just lost his girlfriend and maybe saw when a truck rolled over her body. And there are people who talk about alcohol, speeding and other nonsense?

How do you live with such a tragic accident? And does it turn you on when you write something bad about a guy who's already fragged?

I was drunk quite a few times on a big bike and speeding. I only had good luck that nobody died.

RIP to the deceased. wai2.gif

It was karma...........

And...you were obviously stupid also, to have riden your bike while drunk!

Sorry, but I don't see your logic. I have not one iota of sympathy for this cop. He was riding illegally over this dangerous bridge (because he's a cop and thinks he can do anything), he was very likely inebriated and killed his girlfriend as a result. Any sympathy should be directed at truck driver and girls family and friends. The cop should be de-badged, convicted and banged up.

I do hope the RTP take this guy's flagrant disregard for the traffic laws which, in turn caused the death of another, and prosecute him for his actions. Not just a meager slap on the back. His violating this law has killed another. He needs to go to jail. But, this is Thailand. He will be giving out tickets there next week instead.

Out with friends, any chance alcohol was involved and he was armed ?

out with friends...in the early hours of Monday morning....riding his big bike with his GF.

Hmmm.... what would you guesstimate the chances would be???

Was he breathalized? Charged for illegally firing his weapon???

illegally discharging his weapon, there's no excuse and it's frightening isn't it ?

Above the the law, as i am a policeman !

R.I P. your passenger.

This seems to be the case. Every trip on Motorway 7 Bangkok to Pattaya I have been on in the last few years I have seen Police on bikes on the motorway, not only that but pulling cars over.

Did I miss the bikes not allowed on motorways law being repealed?

This incident will be used as justification for the 'Bikes on Bridges' ban when being on the bridge doesn't appear to have any relevance.

Why are bikers all over the world allowed to use bridges like this one (except in high winds, when high-side vehicles & others are also restricted) and underpasses and do so without incident, millions of times every day, but the Thai authorities appear to have trouble with bikes using them?

We don't have any bridges like this in my locality and I almost never go to Bangkok so I don't know how Thai bikers behave on them - I only know that their general behaviour on the roads is pretty poor.

Out with friends, any chance alcohol was involved and he was armed ?

out with friends...in the early hours of Monday morning....riding his big bike with his GF.

Hmmm.... what would you guesstimate the chances would be???

Was he breathalized? Charged for illegally firing his weapon???

Dont be silly he is police so he doesnt need to obey the law

This incident will be used as justification for the 'Bikes on Bridges' ban when being on the bridge doesn't appear to have any relevance.

Why are bikers all over the world allowed to use bridges like this one (except in high winds, when high-side vehicles & others are also restricted) and underpasses and do so without incident, millions of times every day, but the Thai authorities appear to have trouble with bikes using them?

We don't have any bridges like this in my locality and I almost never go to Bangkok so I don't know how Thai bikers behave on them - I only know that their general behaviour on the roads is pretty poor.

I don't think the problem is with bridges and underpasses, more to do with the death wish riding habits of Thai motorcyclists.

If you can't get riders to drive sensibly in a high risk area then the only other option is to ban them, and this officer has demonstrated that it is a wholly sensible move.

Sorry, but I don't see your logic. I have not one iota of sympathy for this cop. He was riding illegally over this dangerous bridge (because he's a cop and thinks he can do anything), he was very likely inebriated and killed his girlfriend as a result. Any sympathy should be directed at truck driver and girls family and friends. The cop should be de-badged, convicted and banged up.

Losing a girlfriend is tragic, seeing her killed even more so. He will be going through hell. The grief will probably stay with him forever.

EVERYONE breaks laws, especially traffic laws. In Thailand and in every other country. I do it often, speed (when safe), forget to wear my seatbelt, sometimes am too lazy to put on a helmet for short trips. I used to drink drive, but taxis are so cheap and plentiful in Pattaya I have changed that habit.

He didn't intend to kill his girlfriend. No need to de badge him or bang him up for riding a motorbike on a bridge that allowed this anyway up until recently.

A tragic ACCIDENT.

Losing a girlfriend is tragic, seeing her killed even more so. He will be going through hell. The grief will probably stay with him forever.

EVERYONE breaks laws, especially traffic laws. In Thailand and in every other country. I do it often, speed (when safe), forget to wear my seatbelt, sometimes am too lazy to put on a helmet for short trips. I used to drink drive, but taxis are so cheap and plentiful in Pattaya I have changed that habit.

He didn't intend to kill his girlfriend. No need to de badge him or bang him up for riding a motorbike on a bridge that allowed this anyway up until recently.

A tragic ACCIDENT.

With respect, not everybody breaks traffic laws. And few kill others while doing so. He should be put away for a long time.

A tragic ACCIDENT.

He is a policeman, not a member of the public, he should be the first person to NOT drive on a bridge. probably the same guy that would take money off you and into his own back pocket if he caught you doing it (making assumptions based on the other available info).

Shouldn't be de-badged??

I don't think the problem is with bridges and underpasses, more to do with the death wish riding habits of Thai motorcyclists.

If you can't get riders to drive sensibly in a high risk area then the only other option is to ban them, and this officer has demonstrated that it is a wholly sensible move.

I think it was the truck that killed her.

Unfortunately Thailand has a lot of people on motorbikes. If you have an accident on a bike you wreck yourself, usually if you are in a car you just wreck the car.

80% of Thais who die on Thai roads are on a bike. If they were in cars the road toll would be considerably less, I reckon, less than half of what it is now.

(And the traffic would be considerably worse)

A tragic ACCIDENT.

Defending the indefensible.

Unfortunately a large proportion of motorcycle riders in this country have no license. The situation is completely out of control and there is no suitable public transport to act as an alternative if laws were enforced - people need reliable transport to get around. The ban on certain bridges and underpasses is an attempt to reduce the risks.

On Route 7 you will see motorbikes of all sizes, I once saw a farang on a motorized wheelchair! The question is how can the motorcycle riding population become better behaved on the roads?