Hottest temperature expected in Bangkok today when sun is directly overhead at 12.16 pm

webfact

Hottest temperature expected in Bangkok today when sun is directly overhead at 12.16 pm

Sun-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- People living in Bangkok can experience this year’s hottest day today on when the sun will be closest to the capital and directly above it.

Highest temperature today will be 39-40 degrees Celsius.

According to Dr Saran Poshyachinda, deputy director of the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT), the sun will be exactly above the capital at 12.16 pm today.

However he said even though the sun will be directly overhead, it does not mean it will be the hottest day, as it is dependent on various factors.

He said the next time that the sun will be directly overhead in Bangkok is August 16 this year when it is in rainy season.

Past statistics showed that Bangkok experienced the highest temperature of 40 degrees Celsius in April 20, 1979 at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre.

In theory when the sun is exactly above the head, it will be the hottest day as Bangkok will be fully exposed by the heat of the sun.

Meanwhile Mr Wanchai Sakudomchai, director-general of the Meteorological Department, also said highest temperature in Bangkok today will be 39-40 degrees Celsius.

However highest temperatures will be in the Lower North and Upper Central regions covering Uttaradit, Lampang, and the Surin, Buriram and Nakhon Ratchasima provinces.

Temperatures in these areas are expected to be 40-43 degrees Celsius.

He said the hottest temperature this year will be in the period between end of this month and early in May which will see temperature rising to 44 degrees Celsius.

However wind or cloud factors might help to bring down the temperature during the period, he added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/161048

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-26

Wish it was that 'cool' up here sad.png

Anything below 40 would be great. I used to complain at 34....but now that would be "exercise" weather for walking in the park. I can barely ride my bicycle to Tesco, without breaking a sweat...and that is only half a kilometer.

I walk from my door to trashbin (30meter) and i can shower again, and again, and again ;-)

In theory when the sun is exactly above the head, it will be the hottest day as Bangkok will be fully exposed by the heat of the sun

This is not true, not even in theory. Study a little physics first.

The two scientists mentioned in the article didn't say any of the above, so who is the idiot behind such nonsense?

I wonder if Dr Saran Poshyachinda actually said the hottest temperature expected in Bangkok today when sun is directly overhead at 12.16 pm, or if the nincompoop writing the article erroneously assumed that to be the case?

Not only is it not the hottest day, but it is not even the hottest part of the day... facepalm.gif

Edited by jamesbrock

A mate of mine used to suffer 50 degrees sometimes, inland from Karratha in West Australia.

Forty in Bkk. I feel sorry for them.

This too shall pass. Soon I hope.

Update;

Just checked one web site that said Bkk was 36 today and only 53% humidity.

Not too bad but still too much for this little black duck.

Anything below 40 would be great. I used to complain at 34....but now that would be "exercise" weather for walking in the park. I can barely ride my bicycle to Tesco, without breaking a sweat...and that is only half a kilometer.

I walk from my door to trashbin (30meter) and i can shower again, and again, and again ;-)

Maybe lose some weight. I never sweat unless I go running.

In theory when the sun is exactly above the head, it will be the hottest day as Bangkok will be fully exposed by the heat of the sun

This is not true, not even in theory. Study a little physics first.

The two scientists mentioned in the article didn't say any of the above, so who is the idiot behind such nonsense?

Probably the same idiot who makes this same incorrect claim each and every year when this story runs towards the end of April.

Edited by ovenman

A mate of mine used to suffer 50 degrees sometimes, inland from Karratha in West Australia.

Update;

Highest today was 37c with 56% humidity which gives a heat index of 49c.

I bet you can`t find any other day with a higher heat index then this..

Source: https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/VTBD/2016/4/26/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Update;

Source: https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/VTBD/2016/4/26/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Actually last sunday at chatuchak, heat index of 51c.

Came out after my shower and I am perspiring already.

183cm height. 74kg. Perfect weight. 8km run everyday. 26km off-road bike everyday. Won't share my bedsports with u though ?

Same same here. A month ago I would ride the bicycle to Lotus for a few odds and sods half a K away now far too hot ,even inside Lotus it is too hot.

Update;

i understand better now thanks.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not a temperature curve but the power consumption.

New records daily.

Today 29249 MW with a maximum installed capacity of 32000 MW.

Source (real time, interactive):

http://www.egat.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1421:electicity-demand-realtime&catid=40&Itemid=112

Snapshot:

post-99794-0-13057600-1461747490_thumb.j

Comparing yesterday and today: seems like the peak is indeed almost reached and the aircons will continue to run.

Cross your fingers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Having a little problem figuring out the sun's position, on the summer solstice the longest day of the year about June 21 the sun will be at 23.5° or there abouts. Bangkok is at 13.756° so if the sun moves at a constant rate, would it not be directly overhead Bangkok about May 12 to 13?

so if the sun moves at a constant rate

If is the word. It does not.

But from here on I would have to "study further" tongue.png

In blue is the real curve, in red a "constant rate", in green 13° (Bangkok).

post-99794-0-90118000-1461899845_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

I can recommend that you look here http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/ if you are interested in what the sun is doing.

The situation in the tropics is quite complicated and the solar elevation is not a simple sinusoid. We have two days in the year when the sun reaches its maximum elevation at local noon. In Pattaya this occurs on 24 April and 19 August at 12:15 local time.

DM