Clashes erupt in Greek migrant camp

webfact

Clashes erupt in Greek migrant camp

606x341_331106.jpg

LESBOS: -- Clashes between migrants in a Greek detention camp and police erupted on Tuesday. Tempers flared after two ferries shipped the latest group of refugees back to Turkey under a controversial deal with the EU.

Witnesses said bins were set fire to and rocks and stones were thrown at police. About 200 youths broke through a partition in the camp.

Police said eight minors were slightly hurt in the scuffles.

Tensions have been simmering over conditions in the Moria compound which Pope Francis visited earlier this month.

“The situation has become so incendiary in the camp to the point where they are talking about 600 people having taken control of the camp and who are scaring the other refugees that are inside, most of them women and children.” said Dr. Piero Maldari, who is working with the NGO Rainbow.

Ferries carrying 49 migrants from the Greek islands of Kos, Chios and Lesbos reached the Turkish porttowns of Gulluk, Cesme and Dikili on Tuesday (April26) Most of the 13 people deported from Lesbos were Afghans. According to a government official none had requested asylum in Greece.

EU migration deal

Just over 340 people have so far been returned to Turkey since April 4 under the accord agreed with the European Union. The deal is intended to stem a human influx in to Europe – More than one million migrants reached the continent last year.

Under the agreement, those migrants arriving in Greece from Turkey after March 20 face being sent back if they do not apply for asylum in Greece or their application is rejected.

In return the EU will take in thousands of Syrian refugees directly from Turkey and reward Ankara with more money, early visa-free travel and progress in negotiations to join the bloc.

The European Commission says it has been formally reassured by Turkey that it will grant access to asylum procedures to all asylum seekers sent back from the bloc. The camp holds about 3,000 people.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-04-27

As soon as these economic migrants don't get what they demand...............................................

314 returned so far - Wow! That must be starting to make a big dent in the numbers rolleyes.gif

And how many more have and continue to arrive illegally each day?

And the hundreds of thousands who already progressed illegally from Greece or other border countries?

As usual fine words from the politicians to keep the sheeple quiet but little actual actions.

The situation has become so incendiary in the camp to the point where they are talking about 600 people having taken control of the camp and who are scaring the other refugees that are inside, most of them women and children.” said Dr. Piero Maldari, who is working with the NGO Rainbow.

Standard SOP

Look out Europe.

Well, time to do like Austria.

Enact emergency legislation, temporarily scrap right to asylum (which BTW is quite possible under the 1951 convention, EU Charter, and the ECHR), chuck the 600 criminal males out ASAP, then deal with the rest, i.e. those rather in need of protection without all that pressure and with kindness. Best done before we get any hostage taking scenarios.

I don't even know why I have to spell this out to anyone.

Enact emergency legislation, temporarily scrap right to asylum (which BTW is quite possible under the 1951 convention, EU Charter, and the ECHR), chuck the 600 criminal males out ASAP, then deal with the rest, i.e. those rather in need of protection without all that pressure and with kindness. Best done before we get any hostage taking scenarios.

Australia has not scrapped the right for asylum, only those arriving by sea.

Off topic, but PNG Supreme Court has now ruled the Australian Off Shore detention facility on PNG illegal under their Constitution & requested Australia to remove those held in detention; approx 50% of those held have been assessed as genuine refugees. Over four years the facility will cost $1.1 billion, plus a one off increase in aid of $450 million, read bribe.

Off topic, but PNG Supreme Court has now ruled the Australian Off Shore detention facility on PNG illegal under their Constitution & requested Australia to remove those held in detention; approx 50% of those held have been assessed as genuine refugees. Over four years the facility will cost $1.1 billion, plus a one off increase in aid of $450 million, read bribe.

Which seems cheap compared to the monetary and social costs of the earlier flood of illegal immigrants.

Which seems cheap compared to the monetary and social costs of the earlier flood of illegal immigrants.

Thousands of arrivals P.A. legally entering Oz with a visa by air & then claiming asylum.

You seem to be having a problem distinguishing between Austria (a landlocked European nation famous for advanced industry, the Danube River and opera) and Australia (a large landmass just west of New Zealand).

You seem to be having a problem distinguishing between Austria (a landlocked European nation famous for advanced industry, the Danube River and opera) and Australia (a large landmass just west of New Zealand).

Ooops - my mistake