Thailand Elite Long Stay Visa Membership Privileges

Question To Thailand Elite Members:

1) Would you purchase Thailand Elite membership for 500k/5 years if it did NOT contain a PE visa or any visa related perks or assistance?

2) If not, would you consider a Thailand Elite membership without any PE Visa or visa related perks at a lower cost, if so, how much?

3) Do you use the Restaurant/Shopping related perks?

4) Would you purchase Thailand Elite Membership if it had no perks and ONLY the PE Visa and Visa related services remained (at the same price point).

Thank you.

Question To Thailand Elite Members:

1) Would you purchase Thailand Elite membership for 500k/5 years if it did NOT contain a PE visa or any visa related perks or assistance?

2) If not, would you consider a Thailand Elite membership without any PE Visa or visa related perks at a lower cost, if so, how much?

3) Do you use the Restaurant/Shopping related perks?

4) Would you purchase Thailand Elite Membership if it had no perks and ONLY the PE Visa and Visa related services remained (at the same price point).

Thank you.

I am not a TE member yet (will become one at the end of this or early next year), however, I still want to answer this particular question with a resounding "Yes, I would".

• Like 2

I may be a candidate, but to be honest, I have been told a lot of B- -sh-t by "salesmen " in my life who got a commission for their "service".

So, please understand, I will be a "hard sell".

One question, if I do buy, and I want to travel around Southeast Asia, how many times can I leave Thailand for a trip to another country in Asia each year.

I would like to hear "unlimited trips" as the answer.

And, yes, I know about exit re-entry permits.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

I may be a candidate, but to be honest, I have been told a lot of B- -sh-t by "salesmen " in my life who got a commission for their "service".

One question, if I do buy, and I want to travel around Southeast Asia, how many times can I leave Thailand for a trip to another country in Asia each year.

You can leave Thailand as many times as you want....Every other day if you want too and just re-enter again. You will get a full years stamp in your passport every time you re-enter the Kingdom. You will also not be needing to do any re entry permits. You still need to do 90 day reports if you are in the Kingdom for 90 days without leaving.

Edited by Ronuk
  • Like 1

You can leave and re-enter an unlimited number of times. However, if looking for something to gripe about, with the cheap Easy Access membership, the limos and meet and greet service is limited to 24 trips a year.

Bangkok Bank offers some good options if you put 2million BHT, I think it is in your account. They will still open a simple cash card (ATM) and passbook account on the strength of a temporary address and a passport. I did one quickly in December for a friend in Hua Hin. It all took about 30 minutes and you walk out with an ATM/Debit card and passbook. Vey quick and simple.

As I said the Thai Elite visa affixed in your passport will guarantee you need an additional document and an appointment will be set. They said just my passport and the card would be needed as my card is linked to my address I won't need any proof of where I live it is documented already.

Or that was the case for me in Bangkok anyway. Just remembered you are a member as well so maybe it isn't the case anywhere but that is the official policy I have been told by Thai Elite.

I am going to test the water when I next fly in in a couple of weeks. I agree though and I think it's the proper type of Bank accounts the TE give access too with a personal banking manager rather than just a cash card account which I have found possible to open in most places. If you look direct at the Bangkok Bank website, they do some good bank accounts if you can put a few bob in there. Lets us know how you get on anyway and what they offer you.

Well today I found the time to Test the water.

As I already have an Account at Bangkok Bank I thought I would attempt to open an account at Kasikorn Bank, Nana Nue Branch. I was greeted as per normal as I entered and was asked how they could help me. I explained I wanted to open an account, needed an ATM card and also needed Internet Banking. I was asked if I had my passport which I had. I was then asked if I had my work permit. I explained I don't work in Thailand so never had one. They insisted I needed a work permit with me insisting I never needed one because I don't work. smile.png No good Mr, you need work permit for bank account!

Now was the time to test the water with the PE Visa. I explained what I had and how I was entitled to stay in Thailand as long as the Visa was active.They looked and within 30 seconds, I had 4 of them looking. I was taken to a desk and asked to sit. Another girl came from out the back and asked me what I wanted and could she see my passport. She then picked up the phone and proceeded to talk in Thai to someone at there Head office explaining what my Visa was. I understood enough that they were telling her that as the TE Visa is a government backed program,it was good to open any account I needed and no work permit necessary.

Within 20 minutes I had the account book, ATM card (Extra 500bt), which is also a K-MY PLAY VISA Privileged Member debit card (Whatever that is!) and told I would receive a notice via email in 24 hrs of how to set up my Internet Banking. I was told that should I wish to open any other type of account, just to call in and they would do it for me. They are nice people there and a good service once we cleared the hurdles.

The minimum to open the account was 10000bt. All in all not too bad an experience once they found out what the TE Visa was.

Any members that now need a Bank account, try this branch of Kasikorn Bank which should now be a relatively straight simple process for you to open an account if you prefer Kassikorn to Bangkok Bank and not wish to wait to get a letter and appointment from TE.

I hope this helps TE members looking to open there first or another bank account.

• Like 2

Bangkok Bank offers some good options if you put 2million BHT, I think it is in your account. They will still open a simple cash card (ATM) and passbook account on the strength of a temporary address and a passport. I did one quickly in December for a friend in Hua Hin. It all took about 30 minutes and you walk out with an ATM/Debit card and passbook. Vey quick and simple.

As I said the Thai Elite visa affixed in your passport will guarantee you need an additional document and an appointment will be set. They said just my passport and the card would be needed as my card is linked to my address I won't need any proof of where I live it is documented already.

Or that was the case for me in Bangkok anyway. Just remembered you are a member as well so maybe it isn't the case anywhere but that is the official policy I have been told by Thai Elite.

I am going to test the water when I next fly in in a couple of weeks. I agree though and I think it's the proper type of Bank accounts the TE give access too with a personal banking manager rather than just a cash card account which I have found possible to open in most places. If you look direct at the Bangkok Bank website, they do some good bank accounts if you can put a few bob in there. Lets us know how you get on anyway and what they offer you.

As I already have an Account at Bangkok Bank I thought I would attempt to open an account at Kasikorn Bank, Nana Nue Branch. I was greeted as per normal as I entered and was asked how they could help me. I explained I wanted to open an account, needed an ATM card and also needed Internet Banking. I was asked if I had my passport which I had. I was then asked if I had my work permit. I explained I don't work in Thailand so never had one. They insisted I needed a work permit with me insisting I never needed one because I don't work. smile.png No good Mr, you need work permit for bank account!

Now was the time to test the water with the PE Visa. I explained what I had and how I was entitled to stay in Thailand as long as the Visa was active.They looked and within 30 seconds, I had 4 of them looking. I was taken to a desk and asked to sit. Another girl came from out the back and asked me what I wanted and could she see my passport. She then picked up the phone and proceeded to talk in Thai to someone at there Head office explaining what my Visa was. I understood enough that they were telling her that as the TE Visa is a government backed program,it was good to open any account I needed and no work permit necessary.

Within 20 minutes I had the account book, ATM card (Extra 500bt), which is also a K-MY PLAY VISA Privileged Member debit card (Whatever that is!) and told I would receive a notice via email in 24 hrs of how to set up my Internet Banking. I was told that should I wish to open any other type of account, just to call in and they would do it for me. They are nice people there and a good service once we cleared the hurdles.

The minimum to open the account was 10000bt. All in all not too bad an experience once they found out what the TE Visa was.

Any members that now need a Bank account, try this branch of Kasikorn Bank which should now be a relatively straight simple process for you to open an account if you prefer Kassikorn to Bangkok Bank and not wish to wait to get a letter and appointment from TE.

I hope this helps TE members looking to open there first or another bank account.

That is a very interesting comment.

TE has an arrangement with Bangkok Bank.

Maybe Kasikorn is happy to pull a few "quality" customers away from a competitor...

Good for you :)

Good evening Gerry. I am happy with Bangkok Bank but it was a little experiment I promised I would do after anotheruser attempted to open an account with his TE Visa.It all worked well I am pleased to say in my favour of having the TE. Something that is now clearly recognized I am happy to report, by Kasikorn Bank. I needed another bank account anyway after selling some assets in the UK and banks only being responsible worldwide for so much money per account in the event of failure.
No doubt you can walk around Bangkok and eventually get a bank to open an account even without a work permit. I was impressed getting an account though in the very first branch I tried once they realized what the TE was.

• Like 1

Ronuk, which type of bank account did you open? Is it a savings account?

Yes Maestro, it's a savings Deposit account with a passbook and Visa Debit/ATM card. No idea why it was minimum of 10,000bt to open though? Maybe that and the words 'Privileged Member' on the nice silver card is supposed to make you feel special? lol

• Like 1

Good information Ronuk,

I tried at Krung Thai bank and they were simply very unhelpful and almost down right rude. So it is interesting to hear your experience. Kasikorn has always been known to be a little bit more liberal in regards to opening accounts. I am happy with my Bangkok Bank account that is also a rabbit card for the BTS but others may have specific reasons to want a different account. I preferred Krung Thai only because they are the closest ATM to my condo.

Anyway thanks for the update and nice to see this thread seems to be back on track.

• Like 1

Good information Ronuk,

I tried at Krung Thai bank and they were simply very unhelpful and almost down right rude. So it is interesting to hear your experience. Kasikorn has always been known to be a little bit more liberal in regards to opening accounts. I am happy with my Bangkok Bank account that is also a rabbit card for the BTS but others may have specific reasons to want a different account. I preferred Krung Thai only because they are the closest ATM to my condo.

Anyway thanks for the update and nice to see this thread seems to be back on track.

Kasikorn were adamant at first of the need for a work permit but I wasn't going to give in too easy smile.png

Is the need for a work permit normal these days for opening a new account? It used to be very easy. Mind you, the UK can be a nightmare to open anything than a cash card account too. They want a complete life history.

The Rabbit card sounds interesting. Do you just swipe it and the fare for the BTS comes direct from your account?

• Like 1

Good information Ronuk,

Kasikorn were adamant at first of the need for a work permit but I wasn't going to give in too easy smile.png

Is the need for a work permit normal these days for opening a new account? It used to be very easy. Mind you, the UK can be a nightmare to open anything than a cash card account too. They want a complete life history.

The Rabbit card sounds interesting. Do you just swipe it and the fare for the BTS comes direct from your account?

That's a good question Ron. Unfortunately I am not sure how it works as I live on the MRT and haven't had a reason to use the BTS since getting my card. I am not sure if you top it up separately for the BTS and then you presumably swipe it or if it just debits from the account with out the need to top up. I am sure somebody else would be able to answer this.

Rabbit cards are also accepted by different retailers and fast food chains, etc. I have also never had any reason to use this either. I also have a 7-11 card I haven't topped up or used even one time. So I think the rabbit card is only somewhat useful if you use the BTS a lot. One of these days I may get my act together and switch over from the carrying cash to the electronic payment methods available. If the Rabbit did MRT I would certainly use it.

As far as the work permit for opening an account goes, remember after being given the cold shoulder from Krung Thai I went directly to the Bangkok Bank next door who work with TE but even then I had to get a letter emailed from TE and come back another day we scheduled in advance. The first thing they asked for was a work permit and after that asked about if I had a visa. That's when I explained I did and they called around and told me to come back with an appointment.

That's why I suggest any new TE member wishing to open an account get the letter as soon as they have approved your membership and processed payment. Then you are guaranteed you can open an account the same day you get your PE visa if you should wish to do so.

So it appears to me that normally you need a work permit but Kasikorn probably just let it slide. In the old days 10 years ago Kasikorn was the bank that let me open on a tourist visa at their Patong Beach branch when other banks wouldn't.

There was a Kasikorn in the mall I tried both Bangkok Bank and Krung Thai but after waiting around at two separate locations and being told no I didn't have the patience to try again.

• Like 1

From what I've seen so far, they mostly do not like the 30-day tourist visa. But they are quite happy (or happier) to see an METV. So far the banks I went to would open account and give credit card on the basis of an METV & Cash security.

• Like 1

From what I've seen so far, they mostly do not like the 30-day tourist visa. But they are quite happy (or happier) to see an METV. So far the banks I went to would open account and give credit card on the basis of an METV & Cash security.

That´s interesting! Is it hear-say or based on personal experience? I am asking since your claim contradicts 99% of the recent comments and reports I´ve read on TV and the numerous other websites that deal with this question.

Thanks for letting me/us know.

Cheers

DUS

• Like 1

I have no idea regarding a credit card as I never asked for one. The last time (Before yesterday) I opened an account was 3 years ago and just a passport was asked for and 500 bt to open the account and a further 200 bt if you required an ATM card. Nothing else apart from a home or hotel address was needed.
I wonder if now the banks here have started to apply the Western culture where it is becoming virtually impossible to open an account without some evidence to back up who you really are (Credit checks, electoral role etc) because of money laundering? It is even becoming harder now to do electronic transfers from the UK without firm evidence of where the money is actually going.
Yesterday,Kasikorn had me filling in a form to do with Income Tax should I of been a US citizen. As a non US citizen, you just tick 'NO' to each answer then sign and date the form. There was nothing else on the form other than something the USA now requires.
I have to say that it did surprise me yesterday that they was adamant that a WP was needed. I certainly wouldn't be to confident that an METV would of been accepted at that particular branch anyway.
As I said, you could walk around and I suppose and eventually find somewhere that will help you but it does seem much more difficult to open an account than it once was.

• Like 1

This whole credit card with cash security doesn't seem to make much sense to me. If it's backed by cash then there's no credit, it's just a debit card with higher fees than a debit card right ?

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

This whole credit card with cash security doesn't seem to make much sense to me. If it's backed by cash then there's no credit, it's just a debit card with higher fees than a debit card right ?

The difference with a secured card is that your bank balance remains the same if you use the card. Then you get a bill to pay at the end of the month like a normal credit card.

Most secured cards are done for a fixed term account that has a higher interest rate than a savings account.

The difference with a secured card is that your bank balance remains the same if you use the card. Then you get a bill to pay at the end of the month like a normal credit card.

Most secured cards are done for a fixed term account that has a higher interest rate than a savings account.

Thanks Joe. I like others, did wonder how they worked.

I don't understand how that "secured credit card" with security cash locked on fixed deposit account work.

I have a BB credit card (Visa Platinum) for years now, automaticaly renew when it come to expiration. I never been ask to deposit any amount to secure the card. I have a credit limit of 80,000b on it and I have to pay the bill I received every month (either by cash at the bank or using internet banking). I don't have work permit, I am on Non O multiple entry as I don't work in Thailand.

I would have understand that when I got the first card (i think about 15 years ago), bank / law were maybe more relax but last month as I was in my branch, the bank asked me if I would apply for a 2nd credit card (BB Air Asia MasterCard). I said ok thinking it won't be approved anyway when they find out that I don't have work permit or they will ask me to deposit some cash in a separate account to secure the card. But no, few weeks later, I received the new card, got it activate and the credit limit is also 80,000b. No requirement for fixed deposit account or what so ever.

Should I understand that it is at the discretion of the branch or based on the individual background?

I also have an Amex Card issued in Thailand without any secure deposit and no credit limit.

That´s interesting! Is it hear-say or based on personal experience? I am asking since your claim contradicts 99% of the recent comments and reports I´ve read on TV and the numerous other websites that deal with this question.

Thanks for letting me/us know.

Cheers

DUS

Personal experience.

I've seen them ask about my Visa, say it need be work permit. Then say it need be 1-year. Then I show them the Visa and they nodded approvingly that it would be okay. It also makes logical sense if you are on an METV you could be there for 9 months (which warrants the need for a bank account). Whereas 30-days does not really. I have confirmed this with Bangkok Bank, Standard Chartered, Kasikorn, and UOB. I have *NOT* tried the very-specific Thai banks (the farmers banks or housing and loans ones for example).

As for the Credit Card, I have called and talked (in both English and Thai to avoid language issues) and so far everyone I checked has confirmed that you can get a credit card with a cash security. (Personally checked with KTC, Bangkok Bank, Standard Chartered, UOB, Citi).

Note: American Express *directly* Thailand *DOES* require a Thai based job (since they are not a bank and can not offer cash security). The fact that I have AMEX from another out-of-country bank does not seem to interest them :P

From what I've read here on the forums, I've seen many people confirm the Credit Card part. I've seen some people have issues with Banks but have seen many *many* posts with step-by-step directions on how to open a Thai Bank account.

Perhaps some of the issues that may influence success:

-- Better than 30 day visa on arrival (METV, or SETV)

-- Perhaps go to a bank that is used to having a high tourist population (major mall)

-- Your passport type might matter (G7 might be preferred to other countries -- I do not know, but it is feasible).

Note: I even got Internet Banking and ATM card right away, no problems there. Also all done in English, again no problem.

I have no idea regarding a credit card as I never asked for one. The last time (Before yesterday) I opened an account was 3 years ago and just a passport was asked for and 500 bt to open the account and a further 200 bt if you required an ATM card. Nothing else apart from a home or hotel address was needed.

I wonder if now the banks here have started to apply the Western culture where it is becoming virtually impossible to open an account without some evidence to back up who you really are (Credit checks, electoral role etc) because of money laundering? It is even becoming harder now to do electronic transfers from the UK without firm evidence of where the money is actually going.

Yesterday,Kasikorn had me filling in a form to do with Income Tax should I of been a US citizen. As a non US citizen, you just tick 'NO' to each answer then sign and date the form. There was nothing else on the form other than something the USA now requires.

I have to say that it did surprise me yesterday that they was adamant that a WP was needed. I certainly wouldn't be to confident that an METV would of been accepted at that particular branch anyway.

As I said, you could walk around and I suppose and eventually find somewhere that will help you but it does seem much more difficult to open an account than it once was.

Oh yes, good point: I'm not American, and that could hinder you. I know some banks do *not* want to deal with any americans due to American rules & regs (taxes and reporting). So if your G7 ex-USA, you might be okey :)