AOT clarifies gas tank found in baggage of a passenger before boarding at Don Mueang airport

webfact

AOT clarifies gas tank found in baggage of a passenger before boarding at Don Mueang airport

280410-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Airports of Thailand (AOT) today clarified the finding of a gas tank in a baggage of one passenger just before he was about to board a Thai Lion Air's plane at Don Mueang international airport after a passenger posted the incident on Facebook and questioned the security check of the airport.

Reaction from the AOT came after a Facebook user, NooNuchy PS, posted photos of a passenger engaging in argument with the airport’s security officers after they found a gas tank in his baggage and disallowed him to take it on board.

The incident happened at 5.00 pm at Gate 74 of Terminal 2 in Don Mueang International Airport on April 26.

According to her post which later went viral on the social media criticising the loosened security of authorities, she said the airport staff spoke to the passenger and told him not to bring the object in his suitcase onto the plane, according to Coconuts Bangkok.

The post sparked widespread criticism and raised questions of how he managed to get the items past the security checks.

In today’s clarification, AOT said it has abided strictly by the Standard Operation Procedures (SOP) procedures upon detecting the prohibited item.

It said the AOT president Nitinai Sirimahatakan has affirmed that the baggage was detected by the airport’s inline x-ray screener, dismissing claim it went through the screener undetected.

He said after the gas tank, similar to oxygen tank, was detected, security authorities then went on the air announcing for the owner of the baggage to show up and claim ownership as he was not waiting on the checking queue.

Subsequent check showed the baggage belonged to Mr Prakob Jaitieng, a passenger on Thai Lion Air.

Security officials then were required to follow the SOP procedures by bringing the baggage to its owner to open at the Gate, claim ownership, and took it off the baggage 30 minutes before the plane took off.

As the gas tank is an absolute prohibition on board, the passenger however insisted on to bring it, he was later asked to cancel the flight.

The AOT later asked for cooperation from all passengers to wait at the baggage check point for the check result before proceeding to the gate.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/161443

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-28

Ok I will put in my 2 satong's worth's here First to clarify my view I'm a former TSA security Screener Which I did for 5 years after 911 happened in the US security at all airports in Thailand is so lax that I could drive a Sherman tank thru without being stopped. You have screeners on xray machines chatting and not watching the screen, supervisors checking out the ladies in short skirts. and police or guards drinking coffee or sleeping on the job. To prove my point I bought an object which seeing on xray should been an outright call for a bag check because you couldn't see if something was hidden under it. Then another passenger just behind me had laptop in his bag and again no bag check. This to me is a concern that should be addressed. I told a security officer of this but was told not my business. But as a paying passenger it is of a concern to me at least. But if asked I would be willing to offer my help to improve security at not charge to Thailand.

Ok I will put in my 2 satong's worth's here First to clarify my view I'm a former TSA security Screener Which I did for 5 years after 911 happened in the US security at all airports in Thailand is so lax that I could drive a Sherman tank thru without being stopped. You have screeners on xray machines chatting and not watching the screen, supervisors checking out the ladies in short skirts. and police or guards drinking coffee or sleeping on the job. To prove my point I bought an object which seeing on xray should been an outright call for a bag check because you couldn't see if something was hidden under it. Then another passenger just behind me had laptop in his bag and again no bag check. This to me is a concern that should be addressed. I told a security officer of this but was told not my business. But as a paying passenger it is of a concern to me at least. But if asked I would be willing to offer my help to improve security at not charge to Thailand.

post-35489-0-99907200-1461846934_thumb.j

"Security officials then were required to follow the SOP procedures by bringing the baggage BOMB to its owner to open at the Gate, claim ownership, and took it off the baggage 30 minutes before the plane took off."

Dont be so dramatic. As you can see, it is a standard non flammable freon refrigerant tank sold in any shop to refill air conditioners. Of course, it can be filled with other gas but cannot explode without a heat source in the belly of an aircraft. Lucky he was not in some paranoid place like US or Europe.

Why on earth would anyone insist on taking a gas tank on board with them? Unless they were a terrorist, of course.

Perhaps they don't like airline food and was going to cook a meal onboard.

Difficult to cook with refrigerant gas. dry.png

"Security officials then were required to follow the SOP procedures by bringing the baggage BOMB to its owner to open at the Gate, claim ownership, and took it off the baggage 30 minutes before the plane took off."

Dont be so dramatic. As you can see, it is a standard non flammable freon refrigerant tank sold in any shop to refill air conditioners. Of course, it can be filled with other gas but cannot explode without a heat source in the belly of an aircraft. Lucky he was not in some paranoid place like US or Europe.

1. How would anyone know what is really inside the cylinder and could it be detonated or ignited if it leaked?

2. Yes, it could suffer a pressure explosion if the tank or valve was corroded or in bad condition. Keep in mind that at altitude, the pressurisation could be at 7000 ft. With the pressure differential, there is added stress and something not leaking on the ground could leak or explode at altitude. You may have seen before that when you opened your bag and found shampoo all over everything. That's the reason that filled scuba tanks are not allowed on aircraft.

Would you want to risk either of the above? Call me a paranoid European or American, but I wouldn't.

Airport security in the Kingdom is crap. By the time the moslim terrorists in the south find genuine suicide bombers as their brethern in other regions have, there's bound to be disaster all over the place. Including airports and planes. Thai incompetence offers huge possibilities in many ways.

The other day they said it was 13 kg bottle. Well my gas gill tank is 7 kg and looks Alot bigger than the one they are showing.

Plus those tanks are fairly heavy. Couldnt see how someone could haul of them around a airport. But guess he did.

1. How would anyone know what is really inside the cylinder and could it be detonated or ignited if it leaked?

2. Yes, it could suffer a pressure explosion if the tank or valve was corroded or in bad condition. Keep in mind that at altitude, the pressurisation could be at 7000 ft. With the pressure differential, there is added stress and something not leaking on the ground could leak or explode at altitude. You may have seen before that when you opened your bag and found shampoo all over everything. That's the reason that filled scuba tanks are not allowed on aircraft.

Would you want to risk either of the above? Call me a paranoid European or American, but I wouldn't.

Or filled with Sarin gas - a lethal nerve agent.

Yup. There's a reason Thailand is considered a "3rd world" country...or developing country" if you like. Rampant incompetence and total lack of a work ethic...and you are surprised that this extends to airport security? I'm not.

Several years ago (2012) I had to go to Hat Yai. Having an automatic life vest in my checked luggage. This life vest (275 N) contained a CO2 cartridge of 66 grams. I was stopped at the gate when boarding. Had to go with 2 police officers to some office and there they had my "checked" luggage. They had taken out the life vest and the CO2 cartridge. It is prohibited in Thailand to have CO2 cartridges in any luggage when flying. It was impounded and I was fined 50,000 THB for carrying/having a prohibited item in my possesion or face a 5 year prison sentence. Missing my flight and had to take another flight one day later. When in Hat Yai/Songkla it was impossible to find a new CO2 cartridge, meaning I could not board as my personal safety was not up2date and losing income for 4 months. (Normally all personal safety items are checked 2x per year for offshore work).

Later I ordered a new CO2 cartridge and had it shipped to Bangkok. With lots of trouble at customs. They wanted me to pay 15,000 THB import tax. (cartridge is only 1,500 THB + shipping). I still haven got a new cartridge, impossible to find in Thailand. Once near Pattaya I saw a shop selling automatic life vests (150 N and second hand (used)). They were 10,000 THB/pc and didn't have a CO2 cartridge inside. I told them that I needed a CO2 carridge, No have, you go Vietnam and buy there and not come back by airplane, was their answer....

Edited by FredNL

From the news article in the OP I understand that the gas bottle was in a checked-in bag and that the person who put the photo on Facebook wrongly assumeded that it was a hand-carried item.

Several years ago (2012) I had to go to Hat Yai. Having an automatic life vest in my checked luggage. This life vest (275 N) contained a CO2 cartridge of 66 grams. I was stopped at the gate when boarding. Had to go with 2 police officers to some office and there they had my "checked" luggage. They had taken out the life vest and the CO2 cartridge. It is prohibited in Thailand to have CO2 cartridges in any luggage when flying. It was impounded and I was fined 50,000 THB for carrying/having a prohibited item in my possesion or face a 5 year prison sentence. Missing my flight and had to take another flight one day later. When in Hat Yai/Songkla it was impossible to find a new CO2 cartridge, meaning I could not board as my personal safety was not up2date and losing income for 4 months. (Normally all personal safety items are checked 2x per year for offshore work).

Later I ordered a new CO2 cartridge and had it shipped to Bangkok. With lots of trouble at customs. They wanted me to pay 15,000 THB import tax. (cartridge is only 1,500 THB + shipping). I still haven got a new cartridge, impossible to find in Thailand. Once near Pattaya I saw a shop selling automatic life vests (150 N and second hand (used)). They were 10,000 THB/pc and didn't have a CO2 cartridge inside. I told them that I needed a CO2 carridge, No have, you go Vietnam and buy there and not come back by airplane, was their answer....

I had a CO2 cartridge taken used for a bicycle pump. Every life vest on the aircraft has an identical 16 gram CO2 cartridge installed. Hundreds of them on a widebody aircraft.

But one cannot take on onboard or checked luggage because of the ban on "compressed gases".

I had a CO2 cartridge taken used for a bicycle pump. Every life vest on the aircraft has an identical 16 gram CO2 cartridge installed. Hundreds of them on a widebody aircraft.

But one cannot take on onboard or checked luggage because of the ban on "compressed gases".

It is not the 16 gram version but the 56 gram for 275 N, the 150 N is using 32 gram. The connections are different so one doesn't fit on the other !!!

The 16 gram is the miniversion, NOT used for humans in the offshore. For yachting it is used for little dogs, Chiuaua and so on.... International Offshore Rules (IOR) demands an updraft of 275 N with a lifebelt and a connection (10,000 N) for a lifeline.

I have taken my life vest all over the world. (Australia, USA, Canada, Carribean, Europe, South America, China, Phillipines, Japan, Korea,) Even once just having hand luggage. Never had problems, only here in Thailand.

Edited by FredNL

You dont get the point of taking compressed gases on an aircraft do you ? Irrespective of whether its flammable or not...compressed gases in a cylinder could correctly be described as a "bomb" as it will go off like a "bomb" if the cylinder ruptures

It is not the 16 gram version but the 56 gram for 275 N, the 150 N is using 32 gram. The connections are different so one doesn't fit on the other !!!

The 16 gram is the miniversion, NOT used for humans in the offshore. For yachting it is used for little dogs, Chiuaua and so on.... International Offshore Rules (IOR) demands an updraft of 275 N with a lifebelt and a connection (10,000 N) for a lifeline.

I have taken my life vest all over the world. (Australia, USA, Canada, Carribean, Europe, South America, China, Phillipines, Japan, Korea,) Even once just having hand luggage. Never had problems, only here in Thailand.

There are large canisters onboard in the emergency slides and life rafts certified as onboard safety equipment

One cannot have them in ones own posession, they are universally banned, as are the self-inflating avalanche vests skiers are trying to travel with nowadays.

In a more transparent place like such items would just be confiscated. To actually get a fine out of an offender requires the offender to be charged and judged by a competent and independent legal authority. Non of this cash on the spot rubbish. Funds go to the State not into the pockets of bent cops and airport security agents.

Not like in Thailand where it appears various low level jobsworths are entitled to the proceeds of corruption. 50,000 is a lot of dosh. I would not be surprised that knowing certain workers carry such devices they do not specifically target Offshore workers for fleecing. A nice little earner.

Edited by arunsakda

The security in the US of A is WAY over what is actually needed and is mostly done to "show the people they are secured".

I was once marked by an airline staff as a suspect (After a bitter argument with her as although i had seating arrangements in advance, that idiot claimed my seats where taken and we will have to be seated separately, that's my wife, my 6 (six) years old child and me - each in a different location on board).

She marked a red "X" on my boarding pass. Once we went to the gate, I was separated from my wife and child who were ordered to go on the plane (with the hand luggage) while I was ordered to go with 2 security guards and was searched (take off shoes, take off belt, open pants....

Big American bulshit

I came through Don Muang just after the liquids ban. One passenger was stopped for having a hip flask. Obviously he didn't want to give up the flask. He and the security guard took turns swigging from the flask until it was empty. Fantastic customer service.