Is anyone else finding it hard to sleep in this horrible heat?

ev1lchris

I can't sleep with the air conditioner on, I don't know why.

After I turn it off I try to sleep but I find myself sweating in this horrible heat. I get up and turn the AC on again. It's a cycle that repeats.

I find myself sleeping at 4 am these days.

The other months this was bearable. I can't take this anymore though. This heat is insane. I hope the locals are coping better than I am.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes Bang Saen on the water Yahoo Weather " 34 degrees feels like 48 ". I only use the air con a hour before sleeping then a fan all night. Record heat this year in Thailand. You need a fan. Thai structures are built poorly and most of the cold air from ac escapes quickly, it cannot cool the walls of most buildings.

Have the AC blowing on the bed at around 24 C all night, every night of the year (apart from the cold snaps) and you'll sleep well whatever the temp.

if you live where ac can escape, then fix the problem.

Air-con at 16 and a big duvet. makes you think you're back in UK.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ah! Yes so.

I very tolerant of heat, putting only a fan, but for some time, the fan and the air conditioning in the same room, not enough. hit-the-fan.gif

This is exceptional. Ben, do not die alone, right now, it would be quickly decomposed.sick.gifcrazy.gif

Have the AC blowing on the bed at around 24 C all night, every night of the year (apart from the cold snaps) and you'll sleep well whatever the temp.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Need to use a humidifier too to get the cold damp feeling.

I crank up the AC in my house and it feels like a walk in cooler in a restaurant. I sleep like a baby and so do the Lao lying around my floor and couches haha. Throughout most of the year a fan is plenty. Fortunately Laos is not at all humid most of the year,in winter it gets downright cool at night and is extremely comfortable for sleeping. I love heat but hate humidity.

Without AC in weather like this I'd be walking around like a freaking zombie.

I am lucky....new room in a brand new building and for whatever reason, they supersized the AC Unit. The thing is massive. Only problem is it generates massive heat extraction on the balcony and the bathroom has a vent window where that heat comes in...so when needing to use the toilet at night...like walking into a pizza oven.

But the best is really a small table fan (10 inch) set right up on you at night. Evaporates any perspiration and the white noise helps you nod off. During the day I have a big (18 inch) tower fan sweep the room and that is often good enough to avoid using the air. I turn on the air (dehumidify setting) for about 20 minutes before bed to dry the ambient atmosphere and then use the table fan.

At current humidity levels here in Bangkok (88% at 8 AM today) you really do need air conditioning working - but put on slow fan and directly down so not blowing on you when sleeping I find works well. Room stays cool and dry but not cold and windy.

Edited by lopburi3

Set a/c on automatic, fan high, 28-30, if you have that option.

The temp will be maintained somewhat.

Have a separate fan in room on low pointing close to you, but not on you to circulate the cold air.

Take a shower before going to sleep and drink a full glass of water to prevent dehydration. Extra fluids also are good for the kidneys and heart while you sleep. Prevents stokes in some cases.

Some say the blue light from devices just before going to sleep can be a problem getting to sleep for some.

Limit coffee and alcohol in late afternoon and evening as they create sleep problems as well.

Hot bed companions can also interrupt sleep.

Edited by Kabula

I could not live here in BKK without AC. Simple as that. Just set to 28 or 29 is enough to take away the

discomfort. I too, wake up in the middle of the night and turn off the AC for awhile but by 9 AM, it is

back on.

I am very lucky! I feel the heat but it isn't a problem for me. I sleep well all night with the fan on.

During the day, about fours days a week, I go out in the hot sun and ride my bike up to 30 kms so I am out for an hour and a half. Very thirsty when I get home but I drink lots of water and I am back to normal in a few minutes.

I think this is the hottest in the thirteen years I have been here.

At current humidity levels here in Bangkok (88% at 8 AM today) you really do need air conditioning working - but put on slow fan and directly down so not blowing on you when sleeping I find works well. Room stays cool and dry but not cold and windy.

I put our AC at 28 or so, low fan, and set to go off around 3am. It's so quite, we never hear it. Couldn't sleep without it. Wouldn't even try! LOL

Set a/c on automatic, fan high, 28-30, if you have that option.

The temp will be maintained somewhat.

Have a separate fan in room on low pointing close to you, but not on you to circulate the cold air.

Take a shower before going to sleep and drink a full glass of water to prevent dehydration. Extra fluids also are good for the kidneys and heart while you sleep. Prevents stokes in some cases.

Some say the blue light from devices just before going to sleep can be a problem getting to sleep for some.

Limit coffee and alcohol in late afternoon and evening as they create sleep problems as well.

Hot bed companions can also interrupt sleep.

You have just removed the impetus for 99% of expats to be here.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I do exactly that myself! hahaha

Makes for a pretty big electricity bill though!

I keep the AC on all the time here in CM. I also have fans going. My electric bill is high, but I can afford it (lucky me!). I haven't been out of my condo in three days. I spend the days (and nights) reading, listening to music and posting to Thaivisa.coffee1.gif

I would sit in the shade by my pool, but they've closed it for cleaning.blink.png

Aircon goes off at 4 a.m. and on at 11 a.m. I work outside early morning (yard and field)...at sunrise.

Keep acclimatized, but don't work hard in the afternoons or evenings.

Yes, the heat is oppressive....and is limiting my activities. We are looking at spending a month in Korea, next April. A friend there says it is very pleasant, spring weather. Not sure if I can afford Japan for a month...but would be willing to try a quiet, mountain village in Hokkaido...if the price was right. With Songkran being mostly a pain in the butt....and considering the heat...I need to start checking for alternatives during that time.

I keep the AC on all the time here in CM. I also have fans going. My electric bill is high, but I can afford it (lucky me!). I haven't been out of my condo in three days. I spend the days (and nights) reading, listening to music and posting to Thaivisa.coffee1.gif

I would sit in the shade by my pool, but they've closed it for cleaning.blink.png

135 posts in 3 days.......? You need to step it up man.

Usually I don't need AC but the last days in Bangkok unbearable hot and humid. I think the humidity is the problem.

Mostly I use the fan but these days almost no effect.

So half hour before sleeping I set the AC to 25°C with medium fan and then another half hour with the timer in dry mode.

If you keep all doors (Bathroom door!) closed it maintains a comfortable environment + plus using a rotating fan towards the bed.

This morning I could feel a real difference when I opened the balcony door between the humid air outside and dry air inside.

What I noticed some people set the AC temp very low. It's not useful, unhealthy and adds up to a high electricity bill.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

U are better of going back home ,,,save a fortune on electricity,,,,