Are 'premium' car brands overrated?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Test drove a 3 series, used to have them back home. Now I wouldn't swap it for my Accord any day. Felt cramped and in no way better than the Accord and more than twice the price. Tried Mercedes C and E and felt the same. If I was in Europe I'd have one but here there's no way m giving the government 300% tax.

Comparing any car to a pick up ...... I'd rather walk than go in a pick up. I can't for the life of me see what people like about them

Test drove a 3 series, used to have them back home. Now I wouldn't swap it for my Accord any day. Felt cramped and in no way better than the Accord and more than twice the price. Tried Mercedes C and E and felt the same. If I was in Europe I'd have one but here there's no way m giving the government 300% tax.

Comparing any car to a pick up ...... I'd rather walk than go in a pick up. I can't for the life of me see what people like about them

Maybe this is because the 3 series is the size of a Civic and the 5 series is the size of an Accord. If you get in a smaller car, it is indeed likely to have less room inside.

Tax here on the Beemers & Benzes is about 60-ish %, not 300 - not unless you go for the larger sized engines.

Everybody likes different stuff.

I personally think pickups are cool - especially the Ford ones right now.

Edited by Dagnabbit

To come back to the topic.. there was maybe a time where BMW, Merc, Audi and Volvo where such premium quality cars.. but today it's just cars, normal cars made like others, not better at all but you still pay for the brand name.

Now it's the same with everything that people buy, each brand has is own reputation and trust from the customers, even if it doesn't fit with reality, for example why people buy ice creams (haagen dazs) that cost way more than others, because of packaging and dream images that come in the mind of consumer.. but at the end it's just an ice cream full of AIR inside ^without any premium raw materials involved in.. just basic acceptable quality, so smart people are usually not abused in marketing tricks, but when ego wants to show off, it means no compromise on prices ^^

On my experience, i don't like German cars, way too firm : I prefer much more somthing like a Citroen for the comfort of the seats, suspension and quality interior feeling. If you are lucky enough to try a DS3 or DS5 one day, then you can compare with german style, and Comfort is rising to a real superior level, IMHO.

Lucky enough to try a Citroen cheesy.gif.

To come back to the topic.. there was maybe a time where BMW, Merc, Audi and Volvo where such premium quality cars.. but today it's just cars, normal cars made like others, not better at all but you still pay for the brand name.

Now it's the same with everything that people buy, each brand has is own reputation and trust from the customers, even if it doesn't fit with reality, for example why people buy ice creams (haagen dazs) that cost way more than others, because of packaging and dream images that come in the mind of consumer.. but at the end it's just an ice cream full of AIR inside ^without any premium raw materials involved in.. just basic acceptable quality, so smart people are usually not abused in marketing tricks, but when ego wants to show off, it means no compromise on prices ^^

On my experience, i don't like German cars, way too firm : I prefer much more somthing like a Citroen for the comfort of the seats, suspension and quality interior feeling. If you are lucky enough to try a DS3 or DS5 one day, then you can compare with german style, and Comfort is rising to a real superior level, IMHO.

seems like you never try any DS, old or new version ^^ do it and come back to laugh again :P

seems like you never try any DS, old or new version ^^ do it and come back to laugh again tongue.png

Your trying to say that a Citroen is in the same class as BMW, Mercedes, Audi and even Volvo. I doubt I will ever be lucky enough try a Citroen. gigglem.gif

seems like you never try any DS, old or new version ^^ do it and come back to laugh again tongue.png

Your trying to say that a Citroen is in the same class as BMW, Mercedes, Audi and even Volvo. I doubt I will ever be lucky enough try a Citroen. gigglem.gif

I am not trying to.. I am saying that the comfort of a Citroen DS is better than any BMW or Mercedes or Audi or Volvo.. IMHO

That is because of the "hydropneumatic" suspension.

Do you now what a DS is ?? the price for DS5 now is around 30.000€ to 47.000 € you can compare it to similar prices of the so called "premium" car you love so much.

It annoys the hell out of BMW and Merc owners when you suggest they're driving a german taxi. thumbsup.gif

Yes!! People don't realise that the home market has basic work-horses and the high-end versions are exported to countries where high import duties can only be justified if the buyer thinks he is getting something special.

a few years ago now in France I had to organise a hire car for an American customer - at the time it was going to be a large top of the range Renault or a Citroen - I thought the American might find the XM interesting.

Anyhow on arriving at the garage to pick it up, I was told that the Renault/Citroen weren't available nd would he make do with a Merc?

My customer was over the moon...that night at the hotel he went on and on about it to everyone how he's been upgraded to a Merc.......I just kept quiet....then he eventually turned to me and said

What, d'you recon? upgrade to one of the best car makers in the world?"

I replied - "Well, they make good taxis" - that shut him up for a bit.

i've said it before and I'll say it again....I'll never be old enough to buy a Merc.

Maybe you'll never be young at heart either.

This 1989 W124 classic sits on the road like a rock, and I enjoy blowing all the skyscraper Wildtraks, Hiluxes, Tritons Fortuners etc. etc. off into the weeds in the hills between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. In comparison, they handle like slop in a bucket.

post-219092-0-21752200-1462186031_thumb.

Edited by bazza40

I am not trying to.. I am saying that the comfort of a Citroen DS is better than any BMW or Mercedes or Audi or Volvo.. IMHO

That is because of the "hydropneumatic" suspension.

Do you now what a DS is ?? the price for DS5 now is around 30.000€ to 47.000 € you can compare it to similar prices of the so called "premium" car you love so much.

DS5

It’s still a big, slightly cumbersome old bus though, with light steering aimed through a huge ship’s wheel© from Top gear

And ergonomically baffling, of course. The touchscreen is out of reach unless you’re an orang-utan © from Top gear

and i agree with that..

W T F???blink.pngbah.gif

0–62- 12.7s-£25,925!!

DS 60s-70s - Yes!!!

its charm and classic..

I like and want have one..tongue.pngbiggrin.png

A pickup trucks ride is more comfortable than a bmw 3 series? or did your son mean the space is cramp that it is why its uncomfortable?

I personally don't think premium car brands are overated, there are more safety features, gadgets, and luxury touch to it. But a lot of it is up to owners preference as well. Having own both a 3 Series and Accord. Even though I like how 3 series drive and more premium touch, I still prefer my accord. Why? simply because the space it offers, it doesn't drive as well and such, but it doesn't bother me that much, you get use to the way a car drives. What matters more to me is the comfort and not feeling cramped.

What does a 3 series BMW have that a Honda Accord doesn't......??.

easier to list that do not have - compare with Inspire.

If with 3 series list be so long

main is:

handling

acceleration

individual spec.

quality interier

My idea of a quality interior.

Is it honda or BMWblink.png

Please care read postgigglem.gif when ansver

It annoys the hell out of BMW and Merc owners when you suggest they're driving a german taxi. thumbsup.gif

Yes!! People don't realise that the home market has basic work-horses and the high-end versions are exported to countries where high import duties can only be justified if the buyer thinks he is getting something special.

a few years ago now in France I had to organise a hire car for an American customer - at the time it was going to be a large top of the range Renault or a Citroen - I thought the American might find the XM interesting.

Anyhow on arriving at the garage to pick it up, I was told that the Renault/Citroen weren't available nd would he make do with a Merc?

My customer was over the moon...that night at the hotel he went on and on about it to everyone how he's been upgraded to a Merc.......I just kept quiet....then he eventually turned to me and said

i've said it before and I'll say it again....I'll never be old enough to buy a Merc.

This 1989 W124 classic sits on the road like a rock, and I enjoy blowing all the skyscraper Wildtraks, Hiluxes, Tritons Fortuners etc. etc. off into the weeds in the hills between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. In comparison, they handle like slop in a bucket.

attachicon.gif1992-Benz-CE300-2.jpg

I never understand what people buy Mercedes. I know they are well engineered but every time I look at one I cant help but think it is a taxi as Germany use a lot of Mercedes as taxi's. Even my wife wont have one. I asked if she wanted one and her response was They are for old people" Apologies to all you Mercedes lovers

When you can end up sitting in the back of one for up to 8hrs a day, it's comfortable and comforting to know these are the cars of choice for using as a taxi.

Now if you are just having a short ride around the city in the back seat, it's not going to make too much difference to your back, but you will definitely feel the difference on a long drive.

You're obviously not including a 3 Series in this...

Altis??whistling.gif

or wave/click etc as taxi?

pick up as taxi?facepalm.gif

you thinks about this is

thumbsup.gif

And yes... 3 series its hard on road.. and hard steering wheel.. As example harder than A4 or Toyota MarkX

But its more comfort than subaru impreza WRX STI or Accord

And 330 5 s in stock just as example..

PS

all car (A4/Impreza/3 series/markX/accord ) I owned in pass, all I like it, but differently..

Ah, DS. I remember my father smelling of fish after battling with the leaking suspension system. My guess is that's how the low rider movement started.

I had a BX when I was younger, I used to love the suspension on them. Especially on the top bouncy setting you were only supposed to use to clear obstacles.

I never understand what people buy Mercedes. I know they are well engineered but every time I look at one I cant help but think it is a taxi as Germany use a lot of Mercedes as taxi's. Even my wife wont have one. I asked if she wanted one and her response was They are for old people" Apologies to all you Mercedes lovers

Why people buy Toyota? hyundai ? Chevrolert .. and many another brand..

its taxi in some country..

cheesy.gif

Pickups is for small men to compensate for somethingwhistling.gif

Gawd....Look out.....We have a bicycle guy posting.......rolleyes.gif

SO its not your Vigo?

Only bicycle... its good - healthy..

Now i am understand why you so far from car thinkscheesy.gif

and why for you

two year old Camry, haven't been in a biggish car since l have been here,I was very impressed on the ride quality

clap2.gif cheesy.gif

A pickup trucks ride is more comfortable than a bmw 3 series? or did your son mean the space is cramp that it is why its uncomfortable?

I personally don't think premium car brands are overated, there are more safety features, gadgets, and luxury touch to it. But a lot of it is up to owners preference as well. Having own both a 3 Series and Accord. Even though I like how 3 series drive and more premium touch, I still prefer my accord. Why? simply because the space it offers, it doesn't drive as well and such, but it doesn't bother me that much, you get use to the way a car drives. What matters more to me is the comfort and not feeling cramped.

I think he meant the seat in the back wasn’t as comfortable and I guess it is a bit more 'closed in' than in the Ranger.

As for the Beemer having more tech than our Ranger - it doesn't. This one is somewhere between 5 and 10 years old.

Anyway, the ceramic coating place called and our car is ready. Never seen the missus move so fast...

3 series backseat is pretty bad, its so cramp and if you are sitting at the left or right side, you can't sit back flat at all, your whole body is angled towards the middle, its pretty much the same for the 5 series too, just a tad more legroom.

I agree with you. The BMW 3 series is really a 2 person car

BMW/Merc/Audi/Volvo etc are nothing more than the bread and butter mass produced appliances for Europe much like GM/Ford/Chrysler is for the USA.

A very good point that people miss. Most Thais who own them tell me it's because they believe they are better built and will offer better protection in an accident.

i had a few beemas in the 80s and 90s all new...and I think they are an acquired taste....they are very Germanic - firm ergonomic seating and firm suspension etc...I really never got to like them.......

however it always makes me laugh when people call them "premium" vehicles, because in Europe they really aren't....it is countries that pay the import duties that get only the top line models, as the "standard" versions are not worth importing.

If you really want to get a good idea of what BMWs and the like are really thought of, look at th second-hand prices in Germany and UK - these cars are worth NOTHING....they are expensive to maintain and repair and are consequently expensive to insure.....premium is not the word...the only people they impress then are drug dealers and rapper wannabees

Way back in the day, (80's) I told a Swiss friend that I was thinking of a BMW 3 series for my

next car. She looked at me puzzled and said why? You have a Honda Prelude. That car is

much higher quality build than a BMW. Japanese is so much better. That was her opinion.

So I continued to buy Hondas until 1998. Then I bought a Ford F150. Absolutely the biggest

vehicle mistake I have ever made. It was an absolute lemon. coffee1.gif

attachicon.gif1992-Benz-CE300-2.jpg

Engine size?

BMW/Merc/Audi/Volvo etc are nothing more than the bread and butter mass produced appliances for Europe much like GM/Ford/Chrysler is for the USA.

A very good point that people miss. Most Thais who own them tell me it's because they believe they are better built and will offer better protection in an accident.

That seem to be a true and tested theory, especially for Mercedes Vs. Fiesta owners.

That seem to be a true and tested theory, especially for Mercedes Vs. Fiesta owners.

It's an interesting point... I wonder how they playoff in a like for like comparison....

BMW 3 Series / Merc C Class >>> Vs >>> Honda Civic, Toyota Vios, Mazda 3, Nissan Tida

BMW 5 Series / Merc E Class >>> Vs >>> Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Tiana

BMW X5 / Merc ML250 >>> Vs >>> Honda CRV, Toyota Fortuna, Ford Everest, Nissan X-Trail, Mitsubishi Pajero

I have my opinions - but they are not factually based.

It's an interesting point... I wonder how they playoff in a like for like comparison....

BMW 3 Series / Merc C Class >>> Vs >>> Honda Civic, Toyota Vios, Mazda 3, Nissan Tida

BMW 5 Series / Merc E Class >>> Vs >>> Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Tiana

BMW X5 / Merc ML250 >>> Vs >>> Honda CRV, Toyota Fortuna, Ford Everest, Nissan X-Trail, Mitsubishi Pajero

I have my opinions - but they are not factually based.

x5- fortuner

Are you seriously?

sport crossover VS frame SUV come from pickup?clap2.gif

ML vs CRV/pajerocheesy.gif ( pajero or pajero sport?)

tested theory, especially for Mercedes Vs. Fiesta owners.

I guess it mean

https://youtu.be/J9uXHLyBt7U