cant turn the ignition key

Had the same happen to one of my vehicles years ago. Usually replacing the ignition cylinder is necessary. Not a big job, at least not back then. maybe more involved today with all the interlocking systems. I remember they were able to use a key code to set it up so I could still use my old keys. Don't know if that is still possible.

Usually a job for a dealer.

I had this problem with a Jazz of the same age. Honda quoted something like 4,000 baht to replace the locks (not sure if it was for all four locks, or just driver's door and ignition, but seemed very cheap).

However I didn't get round to doing it and instead got stuck while out somewhere, so called out a locksmith who charged 2,000 baht and gave a 12 month warranty. 15 months later it still works fine.

Before you do anything rash or expensive squirt some WD40 penetrating oil ( or similar ) into the keyhole. Has worked for me hundreds of times. That stuff is one of the worlds great inventions,.

That sounds good,not too technical and cheap.

Before you do anything rash or expensive squirt some WD40 penetrating oil ( or similar ) into the keyhole. Has worked for me hundreds of times. That stuff is one of the worlds great inventions,.

Please let us know if it works !!

...give it a thump with the heel of your hand..it will most probably spring the ignition mechanism..at least you will be able to turn and get the key out..maybe fix the problem temporarily.

(Ive seen this done by one of the major Honda dealers here)...worth a try!

I've tried oil spray, i've tried thumping it, i've sworn at it and apologized, nothing.

Hi, had a similar problem, key in the ignition, could turn and start but could not remove the key from the lock, was quoted prices for a fix, replace steering lock and so forth, in the end I lowered and raised the steering column a number of times, presto, job fixed.

Tom

I've tried oil spray, i've tried thumping it, i've sworn at it and apologized, nothing.

If swearing at it and apologizing didn't work NOTHING will.

Might have tried an air compressor before the oil. Messy after.

Unless you have an especially wise monk in your area it's off to Honda I'd say. Won't be expensive.

Had the same problem with my Volvo V70 early this year. Spoke to Volvo in Bangkok - was told we had to get the car transported to Bangkok (200 km) at our cost. Cost to get it fixed around baht 30000. Finally got in touch with a local locksmith. He came to the car and managed the repair within a few hours at a cost of baht 1000. Works well since that including the interlocking.

The locksmith told me they were a group of locksmiths all over Thailand communicating through internet to assist/help each other. He never worked with Volvos before but got in touch with someone who knew how to fix it.

If you decide to try something simular make sure you get recommendations from local people which locksmith has a good reputation (does not have to do with repair a car - the one we used is a "normal locksmith").

Edited by fertilizer

Hi, had a similar problem, key in the ignition, could turn and start but could not remove the key from the lock, was quoted prices for a fix, replace steering lock and so forth, in the end I lowered and raised the steering column a number of times, presto, job fixed.

Tom

I like the idea. I called in the local village guy who repairs cars,motorbikes, lorries,tractors, you name it. He came round and i left him to it. After reading your post i thought,give that a try, but he has disappeared with the steering wheel and lock, i'm told he is very capable,so wait and see.

If it's an automatic it may just not be fully in park. There's some sort of sensor. If the sensor that checks to ensure its in park starts to wear you may need to force the shift lever forward to make contact and complete the circuit.

If it's a manual transmission similar with the clutch. May need to really stand on it.

If it's an automatic it may just not be fully in park. There's some sort of sensor. If the sensor that checks to ensure its in park starts to wear you may need to force the shift lever forward to make contact and complete the circuit.

If it's a manual transmission similar with the clutch. May need to really stand on it.

It's the barrel. It's a known issue due to it being made of a soft alloy. US vehicles had them replaced foc, but Thai ones didn't.

My GF had this problem some time ago in her Honda City..turned out the steering lock was on hard with the front wheels turned so all was well again when I forced the steering wheel (needed much more than a wiggle :-) and released the key at the same time. Silly woman actually did it again a few weeks later but easily fixed. Good luck.