Why Build a Terminal 21 in Pattaya? by The Pattaya Sleuth

Inspire

12 hours ago, lapd said:

Harbour is busier on weekends.

I have spent several hours on both Saturday afternoons in Harbor the past 2 weekends, and it maybe busier than during weekdays, it is far from busy.

During the same 2 weeks I have been there also frequently during weekdays, and then it's virtually empty.

Many empty spaces and shops that are locked up.

I don't think there will be any improvement when T21 opens

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2016 at 2:15 AM, shirtless said:

Terminal 21 may be just the thing to raise Pattays image , could also be a monumental flop.

I'm not sure how a shopping mall could improve any city. A museum,  or Art gallery or theatre, or opera house I could understand. And that which seeks to attract coach loads of uneducated tourists from main land China can't really elevate a place rather drag it down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The manic said:

I'm not sure how a shopping mall could improve any city. A museum,  or Art gallery or theatre, or opera house I could understand. And that which seeks to attract coach loads of uneducated tourists from main land China can't really elevate a place rather drag it down. 

I beg to differ.  8 years ago my partner and I, newly arrived, were living on the beach in Rayong.  The nicest store we found was Home Pro.  Index, at the time, was just an un-airconditioned one floor warehouse.  My memory of it was hot and dark.  One weekend we drove to Pattaya, which we hadn't visited before.   The Index was huge!  3 stories and air-conditioned!  (Of course, now even better.)  

Then, we discovered Central Festival, at that time fairly newly opened.  We had no idea there would be such a big, beautiful mall--in Pattaya!   After liking the vibe of Dongtan Beach, we had already been leaning towards moving to Pattaya but Central Festival was the clincher.   I don't think I am mistaken when I say that Central Festival was also the clincher for some Bangkok folks to decide that Pattaya was now ok for their weekend getaway condo.  

Certainly museums, art galleries, live theater, etc., are nice to have but much more important is vibrant retail to the health of a town or city.   Central Festival was built, and sustained, long before the influx of Chinese tourists.  But, both it, and T21, contribute to making Pattaya a desirable destination, both for tourists and people choosing a place to live.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The manic said:

I think it is time for you to go and have a look for yourself in China to see how fast it is developing..And not only in Beijing or Shanghai, but also "smaller" cities like Chengdu,Guangdong,Xi'an,Chonqing,Wuhan , just to see that China has already hundreds of million educated people who drive cars and medium income life style..

It's a country where education is free till the age of 15...I might share with you to regret the massive influx of Chinese tourists here, but it is only the beginning...

• 5 months later...