AirCon Brands & Support

Mark0

Hi All,

need some new aircon's (9/13/18k BTU) for living- and bed rooms. So far considering Mitsu Mr. Slim, LG or Daikin models using inverter technology only and R32/R410A refrigerants.

- any practical recommendations between these brands ?

- appreciate your experience in regards to service & support in Chiang Mai

Thx for your suggestions & comments !

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our A/C guy told us that it's best to buy LG as there's a lot of spare parts availability so they are easy to fix / maintain if that's needed.

I also heard the same thing about LG washing machines.

^ Sorry no idea about the Service in Chiang Mai because I live in Buriram.

I had a problem once with mine (very minor, not the Aircons problem but the installers) and Daikin send a repair team to fix them from Korat (which is around 200 km's away) and total bill was 0 THB.

We're happy with our Samsung Inverter models although I'd choose Daikin next time for quieter running and more control features.

Contact PT Air for advice re serviceability - they install and service all brands. FACEBOOK: ติดตั้งแอร์ เชียงใหม่ PT Airsupply & Service

LG and Samsung are the worst, only topped by Haier. Plastic parts will break away easily and maintenance over the lifetime will become more costly. Had the same discussion recently with an aircon guy in BKK (independent one, did not want to sell anything.

He recommended Mitsubishi, Daikin or Panasonic. Note that there are 2 different Mistsubishi companies making complete different products, Mitsu Electric (Mr. Slim) and Mitsu Heavy Industries (making heavy duty). Mr. Slim you can often get as promotion not much more than Samsung or LG, way better product. Check out Thai Watsadu, stay away from Home Pro, they use a wrong calculation to sell you over-dimensioned units you don't need.

I previously had LG, I now buy Mitsubishi Mr Slim

Hmm, why that ? Not happy with LG or Mitsu just better (nowadays) ?

I had 2 new LGs put in by the house owner and they both failed in one fashion or another just over one year. If going for Mitsu, go for Mitsu Heavy not Mitsu Electric. Parts much easier with the Heavy brand. Had to wait several weeks for a replacement outside fan motor whereas the tech said he could got the motor for Mitsu Heavy within a day or two.

Daikin is probably one of the highest rated here and P.K. Air, they have several branches around CM, handle it. P.K. Air also handles most other brands though. The house I'm in now has 5 Saijo Denkis which have been doing fine and a common brand so parts should be no issue.

I had a new Samsung Inverter put in in January, during that record cold spell. I wasn't really able to fully test it, but when I started using it in March, for real, I noticed it making too many strange noises. I just went straight to Samsung on the north side of the moat. They scheduled an appointment for three days later, but after failing to show, I called, and the driver had been in an accident. It was also a heatwave, and I think they were just overwhelmed, and they knew mine was still blowing cold. So, they came two days later on Monday. Tech says bad evap, need part from BKK, that came on Thursday, techs returned Friday....then determined that the evap was fine, even though they replaced it anyway, but the nitwits who did the install, didn't tighten the nut enough on the refrigerant line, and it was leaking under high pressure. The installers have to do three a day, which apparently isn't enough time to thoroughly check their work, and also, I'm a more than a little suspicious of foul play with warranty claims against the manufacturer, etc..It has also been mentioned here that low refrigerant is what keeps them in business in the low season...and also causes a lot of extra wear and tear on your compressor. The 18K unit seems to have cost me 20 thb per day to operate in April....really pretty cheap. I would be hesitant to buy a high end make because of potential damage from electricity fluctuations...and the same goes for any other electrical equipment, that is more and more electronic and less mechanical. I was glad I didn't get teh run around between the installer and Samsung...hopefully Samsung billed the installer, but I think they just ordered that unneeded part to put the blame on the manufacturer; not their buddies across the moat. I would much prefer Carrier or York, but I think the Dollar is just too strong to make them competitive. When I get my free service in July, if it needs refrigerant, at all, I will be back in the Samsung office.....so just take your problems there, and be persistent....nip funny noises in the bud, just like you would on a car or even a Hatari fan.....make a video of its operation.

In 8 years I have been 100% Mitsu Mr Slim. Not had one else breakdown of any kind, but am meticulous about cleaning the coarse filters every two months and the he pav filters annually. Also I have the inside and outside units cleaned every May and October. Care and maintenance make a big difference to reliability and cost a small amount compared to the time and cost of repairs.

LG and Samsung are the worst, only topped by Haier. Plastic parts will break away easily and maintenance over the lifetime will become more costly. Had the same discussion recently with an aircon guy in BKK (independent one, did not want to sell anything.

He recommended Mitsubishi, Daikin or Panasonic. Note that there are 2 different Mistsubishi companies making complete different products, Mitsu Electric (Mr. Slim) and Mitsu Heavy Industries (making heavy duty). Mr. Slim you can often get as promotion not much more than Samsung or LG, way better product. Check out Thai Watsadu, stay away from Home Pro, they use a wrong calculation to sell you over-dimensioned units you don't need.

Thx for sharing your experience !

Can only confirm the HomePro sales approach, every room size 'calculated carefully' ... at least 1 BTU level higher as usual or others ... :-(

1 BTU does not make a difference. HomePro calculate something double the size you need. They have usually a table hanging out for a rough estimation, at least I saw in BKK. If you come along one make a photo and compare it to a proper calculation. IIRC it was 600BTU per sqm instead of more realistic 300BTU.

Keep in mind that we talk here about 1000s of BTU. Example, for a 30sqm room you could roughly estimate 9000BTU, which is usually called 9BTU. HomePro would sell you 18000BTU for the same space, or in short 18. The price difference is likely also be double, if not more, and you will live in a freezer from then on. Of course more BTU may make sense if you want to let it run without any insulation or with open windows or with high ceiling ( <= guess there HomePro got their formula from biggrin.png )

Edited by MadMac

1 BTU does not make a difference. HomePro calculate something double the size you need. They have usually a table hanging out for a rough estimation, at least I saw in BKK. If you come along one make a photo and compare it to a proper calculation. IIRC it was 600BTU per sqm instead of more realistic 300BTU.

Keep in mind that we talk here about 1000s of BTU. Example, for a 30sqm room you could roughly estimate 9000BTU, which is usually called 9BTU. HomePro would sell you 18000BTU for the same space, or in short 18. The price difference is likely also be double, if not more, and you will live in a freezer from then on. Of course more BTU may make sense if you want to let it run without any insulation or with open windows or with high ceiling ( <= guess there HomePro got their formula from biggrin.png )

Well, I mentioned 1 BTU Level higher (9k=>18k, 18k=>24k, etc.), didn't mean 1 single British Thermal Unit ... sorry if that was not clearly described.

Agree with you, had same experience at HomePro Bkk, e.g. 600BTU/sqm ... also for me pretty oversized, especially as I don't run air con's much at all, just a few hours a day during the real hot weeks during Apr-Jun ... Had also similar experience years ago, my 'properly' sized Mitsu Mr. Slim was running lowest level, but I was still freezing in the room :-( Won't make the same mistake again this time ! However, as this was 10+ years ago, not sure about the latest cooling technology improvements, inverter efficiencies, etc. That's why trying to get latest updates here :-)

Thx for your comments !

Our A/C guy will not work on Samsung, LG, Star Aire, or Haier. Haier are complete junk.

Samsung inverter 9000 BTU is adequate for our 4x4m bedroom. Running 8hrs each night adds approx 400bt to our monthly PEA bill. I'd go for daikon next house for reasons stated above as the Samsung lacks control features.

I run 2 Samsung, 1 Hitachi, 1 Saijo D and 1 LG (hardly ever used) and the Samsungs have been the most reliable. The Saijo has not been as good as I hoped it would be but it has been dragged all over Thailand so that's fair enough.

I have two mitzubichi mr slim inverter units one 19, 000 btu other 9000 btu , 19, 000 has heat as well . Yes paid alot for them but well worth the money , in this heat last month elect bill 1500 baht and we ran the ac and a purifier..

For sure go with Daiken. I've had Panasonic, Samsung and LG. Have 5 Daiken units in the home and normally two running at all times. Out of all the units we've had the past 10 years, Daiken is for sure the most quiet running inside blowers. Can hardly tell they are running. Samsung was the worst for the noise level.

If you want to go for a cheap ride, buy Samsung. The "old" models that are on promotion everywhere for below 10kTHB. Staff at Global told us they just changed the design and look, inside all the same with the current models. Will cost you half of a Mr. Slim, may also last only half the time. But who knows.

Thx to all for your helpful comments, suggestions and experiences feedback, helps me indeed to find suitable air con's !
I'm focusing now on only 2 brands/models:

- Mitsubishi Super Inverter (MSY-GM…VF): 9 and 12k BTU

- Daikin Smart Inverter (FTKM...NVS2): 9 and 12k BTU

First price comparisons in various (well known) shops are pretty similar, with Mitsu. usually about 1-2k THB cheaper than Daikin, but that wouldn't be a serious no-go problem, considering the life time of such air con's ...

Looking around these days, I also noticed a black Mitsu ZEN Kirigamine (MSZ-EF...VA) as well as a silver Daikin Ekira (FTKJ...V1S) models. Well, probably they have more or less the same technical spec's and features as the Super Inverter or Smart Inverter models, but thought they might look a bit better on the wall of a living room. Caring an extra (nice design) cost of 3-4.5k could be acceptable for just 1 unit in the living room ... ;-)

Thx to all for your helpful comments, suggestions and experiences feedback, helps me indeed to find suitable air con's !

First price comparisons in various (well known) shops are pretty similar, with Mitsu. usually about 1-2k THB cheaper than Daikin, but that wouldn't be a serious no-go problem, considering the life time of such air con's ...

Looking around these days, I also noticed a black Mitsu ZEN Kirigamine (MSZ-EF...VA) as well as a silver Daikin Ekira (FTKJ...V1S) models. Well, probably they have more or less the same technical spec's and features as the Super Inverter or Smart Inverter models, but thought they might look a bit better on the wall of a living room. Caring an extra (nice design) cost of 3-4.5k could be acceptable for just 1 unit in the living room ... ;-)

9 and 12K BTU are small units. For any reasonable sized rooms, 18K BTU is advisable.

Mark0, Have you considered Toshiba? I was in Chi Chang Promenada yesterday and noticed that Toshiba Inverters had a promotion...

Out of curiosity what prices were you quoted for the Daikin 9 & 12 BTU's?

From a different thread:

Reliable professional to service A/C units?

this may be of interest and save some from buying new A/Cs.

osted 23 minutes ago

kaptainrob, on 04 May 2016 - 19:41, said:snapback.png

PT Air Service as mentioned by me in other threads will fix a/c problems. Usually a power clean of compressor and condenser will restore full cooling output but they will also check refrigerant pressures and top up if necessary. 2 years of accumulated dust, regardless of scrupulous primary filter cleaning, is all it takes to reduce a/c efficiency by 50% or more.

PT Air operate from San Patong, south side of CM.

I just had 3 A/Cs cleaned, all for the first time after more than 5 years of heavy use. They were filthy. Now they look and work like almost new, it is really a shame I didn't know they offered this service before it would have saved me 20k baht for the new Panasonic I just bought. From now on I will have them cleaned every couple of years. They also checked the refrigerant, happily none needed. It only cost 350 baht each. Great deal.... would have been worth 500 baht each in hindsight.

Won't help to give name/number of the guys cause they work in Phitsanulok where I live. The guys do A/C installs for Thai Mart, Big C, Lotus, Home Pro etc. but they do the cleaning on their own time. Call the CM Co. listed in the above post by kaptainrob or call Thai Mart and ask for their installers number... should put you on the right track. I'm guessing you won't be sorry if it's anything like P-lok.

Edited by tpiety2

Well honestly, didn't look at Toshiba air con's much, somehow stay with what I'm familiar and have my own previous experiences ...

Daikin Smart Inverter:

- 9k BTU: list price 28k => promo 23/24k (1 online shop for 18.5k, not sure about that)

- 12k BTU: list price 30.5k => promo 26/27k (Online: 21.5k ?!?)

Daikin Ekira Inverter:

- 9k BTU: list price 33.5k => promo 29.5k

- 12k BTU: list price 39.5k => promo 34.5k

Not sure how competitive these prices are, but pretty consistent so far comparing 3-5 vendors (malls, shops & exhibitions).

Still have a few weeks time, plan to buy 2-3 new units for Chiang Mai in July, with (at least) a servicing option for the future ;-)

Mark0, Have you considered Toshiba? I was in Chi Chang Promenada yesterday and noticed that Toshiba Inverters had a promotion...

Out of curiosity what prices were you quoted for the Daikin 9 & 12 BTU's?