British grandad locked up in Thailand claims he was beaten, robbed and sexually abused in jail

webfact

British grandad locked up in Thailand claims he was beaten, robbed and sexually abused behind bars
BY TODD FITZGERALD

b.jpg
Dave Campbell says he could face a manslaughter charge

Dave Campbell, who has lived in Thailand since 2014, was jailed after he was involved in a fatal motorbike crash

MANCHESTER: -- A British grandad who is facing a manslaughter charge in Thailand claims he has been beaten, robbed and sexually abused behind bars .

Dave Campbell, who has lived in the country for two years, was severely injured in a motorbike crash in Ban Phe in Rayong Province last March.

After a woman involved in the smash died, the 68-year-old was sent to a squalid jail, where he was allegedly battered and stolen from by other inmates.

During his time in the facility, he was also reportedly stripped naked and sexually assaulted by prison guards, the Manchester Evening News reports.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/british-grandad-locked-up-thailand-7877160

-- Mirror 2016-05-02

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd expect that's the kind of thing that happens in thai jail.

There has to be a deterrent do most of the population other than just the term of the sentence.

I suspect the suicide/ murder rate especially somewhere like Bang Kwang a lot higher than will ever be publically known.

When people scream foul of a light sentence given to some crimes, I think the Thais know even a 5 year sentence can actually be a death sentence

My thoughts also, the picture is incomplete.

On the jail issue: I don't know if the rules are different elsewhere in Thailand but here in Chiang Mai, about seven years ago, a Brit we know was given 5 years in jail and he was housed strictly with foreigners and not with locals and all foreigners were treated similarly.

Edited by chiang mai

I think this account holds some truth to it. In prison, inmates run what happens inside and guards only watch and, as in this case, the guards perhaps are as evil as the inmates.. What bother me so about this is that this guy is probably in jail just because he is a foreigner. I have read so many instances where death has occurred due to negligent driving yet, the Thai never seems to go to prison for it. A good example is this recent case where the guy drove 200 kph and crashed into the back of a car killing to students. I don't see him even looking at a charge for their deaths, only his bad driving. Pathetic to see double standards across the board with foreigners and Thai.

While a reckless mad Thai drivers who kills scores of people aren't being arrested and given

the proper hospital treatment, here we have a repeat of the Midnight express movie treatment

mentality being played all over again in modern Thailand for a single motorcycle road fatality.......

I think this account holds some truth to it. In prison, inmates run what happens inside and guards only watch and, as in this case, the guards perhaps are as evil as the inmates.. What bother me so about this is that this guy is probably in jail just because he is a foreigner. I have read so many instances where death has occurred due to negligent driving yet, the Thai never seems to go to prison for it. A good example is this recent case where the guy drove 200 kph and crashed into the back of a car killing to students. I don't see him even looking at a charge for their deaths, only his bad driving. Pathetic to see double standards across the board with foreigners and Thai.

The difference between the two cases is that the Merc. driver had money and paid his way out (or at least his insurance company did), the Brit doesn't seem to be able to raise 100k Baht and apparently didn't have insurance otherwise he would have been able to post a bail bond.

Edited by chiang mai

I do not believe 1 word of this.

I have been in a Thai prison, and i was treated with the greatest of respect.

Staff and prisoners went out of their way to help me.

He did wrong and is trying to disguise what he did with lies.

Kill 9 people in a mini van and your family is (connected) no worries, you don't even have to do your community service.

Run over a cop in your Ferrari and drag him down the road killing him and go on holiday's too Singapore.

Smash your merc into the back of 2 students car incinerating them pay your way out just fines for bad driving.

Why has his lawyer not put these precedents forward to secure freedom for this bloke?

Now if your a flang and you don't have video evidence proving innocence's and sometimes even if you do, you will need a lot of cash just to stay out of the monkey house... Welcome to the land of scams...

Kill 9 people in a mini van and your family is (connected) no worries, you don't even have to do your community service.

Run over a cop in your Ferrari and drag him down the road killing him and go on holiday's too Singapore.

Smash your merc into the back of 2 students car incinerating them pay your way out just fines for bad driving.

Why has his lawyer not put these precedents forward to secure freedom for this bloke?

Now if your a flang and you don't have video evidence proving innocence's and sometimes even if you do, you will need a lot of cash just to stay out of the monkey house... Welcome to the land of scams...

Insurance, have or no have, there's the difference.

Yeah right..

as others said, there seem to be more to this case than indicated

on one hand he says that he does not know what he did wrong and on the other hand he says they tried to force him to sign a confession.

I would submit the confession they tried to get him to sign should give him an indication of what they think he did wrong.

Edited by sirineou

Horrific account, but another situation where you feel you don't have the whole story.

Is there any part of the story you needed to complete you're theses or maybe a proposition that TV could put forward for consideration. Especially, if this particular post needs to be discussed at a later date and approved by yourself or to be heavily maintained against objections or subject for a composition or essay you have in mind.

Nice to be nice as they say!!

This is a farang vs. farang story. The accused is alleged to have run into a motorbike driven by a Frenchman. The collision injured a french woman who was on the bike and she allegedly died from his injuries some time after the collision.

While a reckless mad Thai drivers who kills scores of people aren't being arrested and given

the proper hospital treatment, here we have a repeat of the Midnight express movie treatment

mentality being played all over again in modern Thailand for a single motorcycle road fatality.......

Are you aware that the deceased's partner is pushing the case? He wants action and asked the Thai police to pursue the accused.

If your loved one was killed in a moor crash, would you not pursue justice?

We need to remember we are not equal here , its not good old England.

What does that have to do with the circumstances of the death? The man is accused of killing a French woman. Seems to me that you have discounted the French woman's tragic death.

Horrific account, but another situation where you feel you don't have the whole story.

Is there any part of the story you needed to complete you're theses or maybe a proposition that TV could put forward for consideration. Especially, if this particular post needs to be discussed at a later date and approved by yourself or to be heavily maintained against objections or subject for a composition or essay you have in mind.

Do you know the full circumstances of the case?

Well' that's it then no need for further discussion case closed. Thank you so much you saved me the bother of reading anymore of this post.

Just saying .,,,,,,,

Do you know the full circumstances of the case?

Have u no humour man ? LOL

The difference between the two cases is that the Merc. driver had money and paid his way out (or at least his insurance company did), the Brit doesn't seem to be able to raise 100k Baht and apparently didn't have insurance otherwise he would have been able to post a bail bond.

Have you ever heard the saying 'two wrongs don't make a right' This guy killed someone, are you saying he doesn't deserve to be punished because a Thai person would have gotten away with it ?

Also are we expected to believe most inmates in Thai jails an non Thai.

Have you ever heard the saying 'two wrongs don't make a right' This guy killed someone, are you saying he doesn't deserve to be punished because a Thai person would have gotten away with it ?

Also are we expected to believe most inmates in Thai jails an non Thai.

No, I'm saying he wouldn't be in jail if he had insurance, the insurance company would have posted his bail bond - the Merc driver either did have insurance or he paid his own bail. So the fact that he is in jail led to his alleged poor treatment there, as others have pointed out those claims seem odd at best. Nothing to do with him being guilty or not etc.

Having been living in Thailand prior to the accident

no informational knowledge about pitfalls of living here

has been taken on board by this man,

it won't happen to me !

too many Questions need asking ,

or bonifide story told

I don't know what the true situation is with this bloke but the fact is any foreigner who drives or rides without some sort of insurance in Thailand is a moron!

ScotBkk:

Ah, it seems we know the "British Grandad's" TV nick now. Edited by Fookhaht

as others said, there seem to be more to this case than indicated

on one hand he says that he does not know what he did wrong and on the other hand he says they tried to force him to sign a confession.

I would submit the confession they tried to get him to sign should give him an indication of what they think he did wrong.

The "confession" would be in Thai. I can read some Thai, but a formal document in a police station i would not sign without an attached translation done by someone i trusted.

Edited by chrissables

Been saying this for awhile even in the Hua Hin case what taken two weeks report ...

I do not know about this particular guy and his prison experience, but there have been a lot of foreigners over the years who have released books after being in Thai prisons and have made up accounts of abuse in order to help sell their books.

ScotBkk:

Ah, it seems we know the "British Grandad's" nick now.

Sounds exciting.

It usually takes around 45 minutes for TVs armchair sleuths to solve most cases. Unless of course, there's smart arse objectors like myself in the arena pent on denying them a clear cut conclusion.

Just saying ........

No problem getting your next visa extended. Well done.