PM Prayut introduces 15-year anti-drought plan

webfact

PM introduces 15-year anti-drought plan

p.jpg

BANGKOK, 2 May 2016 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said today the government has formulated a 15-year drought prevention plan with a focus on providing ample drinking water.

In his national televised speech on “Returning Happiness to the People”, the prime minister highlighted the government’s anti-drought measures to be implemented over a span of 15 years.

These measures include 12 water management related activities to be launched in different phases of the plan such as a groundwater project, a water resources development campaign, irrigation systems in rural areas, and reservoir construction.

The plan seeks to tackle drought in a sustainable manner while making sure that there is a sufficient amount of water for consumption along the way.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-02 footer_n.gif

And he and his pals will stay around to ensure implementation ?

Seems reasonable - after all a big project such as this will bring tremendous " happiness" to a great many people...

I am absolutely no fan of the Junta but I'll give credit where it is due. Thailand has needed a long term plan to help mitigate it's endless annual water problems for many years and hopefully this will be the beginning of genuine relief.

Edited by apetley

And of course, this comes in tandem with the PM's flood prevention plan. Just in case.

He's got to double up: flood happens... ''I'm staying on, not because I want to, but because I must complete my flood plan'' drought happens... ''I'm staying on, not because I want to, but because I must complete my drought plan'' -_-

Sounds good. Good job PM on yet another announcement of this master plan, which is virtually a re-packaged version of the one you and your boys scrapped 2 bloody years. But never mind that. Do something. Anything! Just not another press conference banging on about "the plan".

... the government has formulated a 15-year drought prevention plan with a focus on providing ample drinking water.

Note, it said ample "drinking" water; it didn't say ample water like needed to grow crops.

This is very light reporting if I ever seen one, considering the importance of the resource, where are all the specifics , 15 years of doing what ,just how many underground bores , you'll pump the aquifers dry , the salt arrives, then what, the building of how many dams , what is involved, nothing here would make a water diviner happy..................................................coffee1.gif

15 years?

How long do you think it takes to build a dam from start to finish?

Here is an example.

The Bhumibol dam Thailand's largest.

That took 14 years just for one dam from start to full and it took 6 YEARS to fill it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhumibol_Dam

Background

The Bhumibol Dam, among others in the Chao Phraya basin, was constructed beginning in the 1950s to exploit the agricultural and hydroelectric potential of the basin. Construction on the dam began in 1958 and was finished in 1964. The reservoir was completely filled in 1970. The first two generators were commissioned in 1964.

drought prevention plan

That sounds less plausible than a Global Warming Prevention Plan.

Unless Prayut's plan will change meterological behavior in Southeast Asia, he cannot prevent droughts.

He can only try to mitigate the EFFECTS of drought.

A plan that focuses solely on providing ample drinking water dooms both the agriculture and manufacturing industries. And dooms any meaningful mitigation measures.

I would presume your including us in the north as well not just Bangkok? Bangkok will get money for tis but us northerner's show us the money honey.There sadly is not much of a trickle north effect in any government planning

Edite

Edited by elgordo38

I would presume your including us in the north as well not just Bangkok? Bangkok will get money for tis but us northerner's show us the money honey.There sadly is not much of a trickle north effect in any government planning

Edite

Don't forget the north has the water the central area (Bangkok etc) needs. The main rivers flow south to Bangkok.

... the government has formulated a 15-year drought prevention plan with a focus on providing ample drinking water.

Note, it said ample "drinking" water; it didn't say ample water like needed to grow crops.

Soldiers don't grow crops.

(some of them don't drink water either unless it is diluted by a sufficient amount of Black Label)