Warning: Do Not Pay in Full until Delivery

If my post is not acceptable, mod please delete this thread. I made a deposit at Thailand Motor Show last March, for a CBR 650F. The sales rep said that he would contact me for date of delivery after the show ended. I made a deal that DELETED would deliver the bike to my house on Sukhumvit. About April 20th, the sales man called, and informed me that the bike was ready for delivery. We discussed about the form of payment and agreed that credit card would be preferable. The agreed date for delivery was April 25th, so I visited DELETED on April 22nd, to make the payment. There I wa stold that the bike was not avsailable for delivery, and allowed a cloudy delivery schedule. I then insisted that I would not accept the term, unless DELETED confirm delivery date. Finally, the office staff said that delivery would be within a week. So I gave him my credit card, and signed the slip,. Total payment including the deposit was ฿303,000 baht. On April 28th, the sales man called and advised me that he bike was available for pick up, but would be delivered on May 2nd. So today, I canceled all engagements, and stayed home for the expected delivery. Late this morning, DELETED called to informed me that the bike was given to another customer, and that a new bike would be available in two weeks. What irks me most is the way they made me sign the credit card slip for full amount of ฿303,000 baht when delivery would be almost 25 days later. If I was paying on a loan, that would have incurred a bit of interest money. The moral of this story is: Be very careful about payment DELETED

PM for Details

There was no contract, just a receipt (temporary). The receipt appeared very official with signature of sales rep, and the manager. It gave no information on the delivery date. The sales rep said that he would confirm the date after the Motor Show ended. Information included model and colours, as well as the promotions included ie, riding courses, basic and advance, First calss insurance and free registration fee. What matter most is that DELETED charged the full value of the bike ฿303,000, and did not keep the promised delivery schedule. I don't know what kind of accounting DELETED keeps, but I wonder how they can receive full payment, and not even have goods in inventory. Seems like robbery to me.

Edited by seedy
libel / defamation

Topic Title and content Edited. Forum Rule -

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

Dear kiniyow ,

I was told that full payment must be made before they can get release of the bike for delivery. I was going to have the bike delivered to my house, since I cannot ride the bike home without authentic license plate.

"since I cannot ride the bike home without authentic license plate."

Unless the rules have changed, you have 30 days to get it sorted.

BKK don't even do red license plates for bikes.

No problem at all with riding a new bike around with no plates. Worst might be a 200b 'fine' should there happen to be a roadblock.

Besides, never pay a Thai salesman in full until the product is in front of you, especially when there is no delivery date in the contract!!

Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Now go and have a beer and relax.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Dear kiniyow ,

I was told that full payment must be made before they can get release of the bike for delivery. I was going to have the bike delivered to my house, since I cannot ride the bike home without authentic license plate.

Of course you can drive the bike home. They will give you an invoice and the insurance documents. With these documents you can ride the bike until you get the plates.

The fact that the bike delivery is a few weeks late is also fairly normal. You got to relax and be a little more flexible if you want to survive in Thailand otherwise you will end up with a heart attack. Be smart and don't make to much noise at DELETED. You still need them.

Concerning the payment, a deposit would have been enough until the bike is ready to pick up. You obviously made full payment because you thought it would be delivered. Another reason not to have the bike delivered to your house. It might even get damaged during transportation. Again TIT!!

Edited by metisdead

So you actually just wrote a whole post and made a lot of wind for nothing.

Just go to the dealer and ride it home. It is fully legal to ride without a plate the first 30 days.

If this already winds you up, I wonder how you act in traffic.

Dear kiniyow ,

Did you make the deal at Bangkok International Motor Show right? Just curious, did you get a better price there than you would at a random dealer?

Deleted is just doing what Deleted and most other bike shops do. You just made to many assumptions I think.

Like Happy Grumpy said "Now go and have a beer and relax."

Do you have the option to call the credit card company and cancel the credit charge?

Reason given is that delivery was not made as agreed.

Thanks for your kind suggestion. First sensible response to my thread BTW. I have made a similar post on a local forum, which brought immediate response from the manager of ...branch. He gave me an apology, and said that he could not remedy the situation immediately, but promised delivery within a week. That is one week earlier. I'm not a hard person, and accepted his apology and the delivery date.

Incidentally, I posted the thread not to let out air of my anger, but as a service to fellow members who may otherwise fall prey similar to what I've gone through. And BTW, don't harken to the misnformation that you can ride a new unregisterd bike for 30 days from date of purchase. Riding a bike without a license plate is a violation of traffic law, and a Thai traffic policeman will issue ticket to any bike rider without a license plate.

Do you have the option to call the credit card company and cancel the credit charge?

Thanks for your kind suggestion. First sensible response to my thread BTW. I have made a similar post on a local forum, which brought immediate response from the manager of ...branch. He gave me an apology, and said that he could not remedy the situation immediately, but promised delivery within a week. That is one week earlier. I'm not a hard person, and accepted his apology and the delivery date.

Incidentally, I posted the thread not to let out air of my anger, but as a service to fellow members who may otherwise fall prey similar to what I've gone through. And BTW, don't harken to the misnformation that you can ride a new unregisterd bike for 30 days from date of purchase. Riding a bike without a license plate is a violation of traffic law, and a Thai traffic policeman will issue ticket to any bike rider without a license plate.

owned 10 bikes and lived here for over ten years. Been stopped numerous times without plates. Had invoice and insurance documents only. Never was fined for it....

owned 10 bikes and lived here for over ten years. Been stopped numerous times without plates. Had invoice and insurance documents only. Never was fined for it....

Sounds about right!

"Riding a bike without a license plate is a violation of traffic law, and a Thai traffic policeman will issue ticket to any bike rider without a license plate."

That's bs. When I purchased my Kawasaki Ninja 650 and was driving it home from the dealer; I came across a police checkpoint and the cop noticed I didn't have a plate. I showed him the receipt for the bike as well as the insurance and I was happily sent on my way.

. And BTW, don't harken to the misnformation that you can ride a new unregisterd bike for 30 days from date of purchase. Riding a bike without a license plate is a violation of traffic law, and a Thai traffic policeman will issue ticket to any bike rider without a license plate.

This just proved you've got a lot to learn about LOS in quick time or you simply wont last here for very long.

But please keep disregarding experienced expat motorcyclists information and comments, it is entertaining.

You're simply being stuffed around by Thais in a position to stuff you around, (which is somewhat of a national pastime)

The issue is, you put yourself in this position, we've all done it.

Good luck

seems like you didnt make a deposit but that shouldnt matter since you payed 303k the bike should of already been urs when they receive ur money....

Weird

i think what happened was some thais came along and said "do u guys have the CBR650 in the inventory?? if i pay it cash right now can i have the bike today?"

you should have paid 10 percent and rest when you receive merchandise. that s all.

They told him he wouldn't be getting one until it was fully paid for (even though they didn't have one to give him at that time) , I think this is what has annoyed about.... :)

You can ride around until the dealer gets your plate, me and my riding style usually prefer it like that too.. ;)