Pick-up overturns as young driver killed under BTS in Bangkok

webfact

Pick-up overturns as young driver killed under BTS in Bangkok

bts.jpg
Image: Manager Online

BANGKOK:-- Large crowds gathered on Tuesday morning to see an overturned pick-up under the BTS line at Bang Wa.

The driver Anon Phantamon, 26, a resident of Nong Khai had a broken neck and was pronounced dead at the scene, reports Manager Online.

Police said that the pick-up was probably speeding and had hit a tree stump under the BTS before colliding with. Honda PCX motorcycle and ending up destroyed and overturned on the Ratchapreuk road coming into the city.

It came to rest some 100 metres from the initial impact beneath the BTS.

Two 23 year olds - a man and a woman - on the motorcycle were taken to hospital.

Source: Manager Online

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-03

the fact is that Thais drive way too fast all the time. They seem unfazed by day or night/ road conditions; or any other obstacle. My own family is the same. No matter what I say they will not slow down. There is no doubt in my mind that speed is the number one culprit in road accidents in Thailand. Add in some alcohol and you have the makings of a disaster. The police need to do their jobs and slow people down but unfortunately they don't seem interested in doing that. In addition, there needs to be education about how to drive safely. Just last evening I was turning left with a signal on and started the turn when a motorcycle decided she couldn't wait and passed on the left- she missed me by inches. There appears to be no concept of safe distances; driving defensively or anything else other than chaos.

Broken neck in an overturned truck = did not wear seat belt

And I guess you have PROOF of that, nah, you're just guessing, here's another scenario, what if the roof collapsed, or the whiplashing of his head/neck, caused the neck damage. Some people make idiotic comments, with little, if any, thought, by the way, seat belts can in fact cause massive injuries, and even death.

..........the pick-up was probably speeding..........

No tears shed on this one. Next.

Your all heart

Bet his family would love your statement if they read it ..............

Your all heart

was the driver thinking about the feelings of his family when he was "probably" speeding and out of control?

or the feelings of other road users, like the 2 on the motorcycle? or the feelings of the families of other people he could have killed?

Edited by bangon04

Your all heart

was the driver thinking about the feelings of his family when he was "probably" speeding and out of control?

People in glass houses should not throw stones. Often those that criticise others reveal what he himself lacks.

Nobody's perfect !!!!!

And I guess you have PROOF of that, nah, you're just guessing, here's another scenario, what if the roof collapsed, or the whiplashing of his head/neck, caused the neck damage. Some people make idiotic comments, with little, if any, thought, by the way, seat belts can in fact cause massive injuries, and even death.

After watching the video, pretty obvious he wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

It's not ignorance that kills them, it's stubbornness...

Good luck to you!

the fact is that Thais drive way too fast all the time. They seem unfazed by day or night/ road conditions; or any other obstacle. My own family is the same. No matter what I say they will not slow down. There is no doubt in my mind that speed is the number one culprit in road accidents in Thailand. Add in some alcohol and you have the makings of a disaster. The police need to do their jobs and slow people down but unfortunately they don't seem interested in doing that. In addition, there needs to be education about how to drive safely. Just last evening I was turning left with a signal on and started the turn when a motorcycle decided she couldn't wait and passed on the left- she missed me by inches. There appears to be no concept of safe distances; driving defensively or anything else other than chaos.

its true. Just ask any thais if they know what or where is blindspot. You be surprised. Most don't know.

My wife asked me b4 why do I when switching lanes or turning do I always turn my head to look? I said to check blind spots.

She says if i check i will be slow n cannot see traffic in front and I might cause an accident.... I should only rely on my mirrors...

In LOS where traffic comes at you from TEN DIRECTIONS. I think I better stick to checking my blindspots as often as I can.

its true. Just ask any thais if they know what or where is blindspot. You be surprised. Most don't know.

My wife asked me b4 why do I when switching lanes or turning do I always turn my head to look? I said to check blind spots.

She says if i check i will be slow n cannot see traffic in front and I might cause an accident.... I should only rely on my mirrors...

In LOS where traffic comes at you from TEN DIRECTIONS. I think I better stick to checking my blindspots as often as I can.

"Slow and cannot see traffic ahead" means she is driving too close to the vehicle in front...

One positive aspect to this story is the fact that the riders on the motorcycle were taken to hospital. I hope their injuries were not too severe.

Best wishes, they could be dead, as is usually the case in an incident of this nature.

As for the driver of the pickup, one less lunatic behind the wheel.

Another great headline...makes it sound as if the pickup overturning and the young driver dying were independent events

Just remember... This is Thailand.

It's always the vehicles that cause fatal accidents in these parts -- not the stupid and/or drunk and/or careless drivers in them. whistling.gif

The road alongside that BTS station is phetkasem road which is an absolute mess due to it having been torn apart for the past few years for BTS/MRT extensions. Anyone driving reclessly on that stretch is doubly likely to run into trouble.

After watching the video, pretty obvious he wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

Wrong, there is NOTHING conclusive in that video, the physic of an accident could throw a body in any direction, not to mention that any seat belt could either snap of become detached, from the vehicle... assume, assume, ass......

It's not ignorance that kills them, it's stubbornness...

Good luck to you!

I will again on one thing, the "s", but more like stupidity, a crass as it is, he deserved what he got. One less idiot on the road, who can't kill anyone else.

Centuries of dirt tracks and Buffalo and Cart to roads and modern vehicles in one generation.....

Indeed. Also centuries of biodegradable materials to glass, aluminium and plastic packaging in one generation which is presumably why there is so much rubbish littering road sides and other spaces due to Thai not yet having figured out that most modern packaging isn't biodegradable.

" Large crowds gathered on Tuesday morning to see an overturned pick-up under the BTS line at Bang Wa."

Did they?

Can't write the word that describes people who do this as it gets deleted, but it is a hole and faeces comes out of it.

The hard "c" word also suffices.

Edited by Bluespunk