Different names on ticket and cards

This question relates to different surnames used on aeroplane tickets and the card used to pay for them.

My Thai wife and I live in the UK. Our UK marriage certificate and her bank account use our surname, but her Thai passport remains in her maiden name. She has bought a return ticket to Thailand for her and our baby son and is due to depart this weekend. She has booked the tickets using her maiden name to match her Thai passport, but paid for the tickets using a UK Visa Debit Card that bears her married surname. Our son of course has the tickets booked in his name so no problems there.

Do you think the above will cause any issues at the airport? I would assume not but when I phoned British Airways to check, the girl seemed a bit clueless and assumed I wanted to query a visa matter and therefore suggested I contact an embassy. All I want to know is will the airport check-in desk query why the payment card and passport do not bear the same name?

She will of course take her marriage certificate, residence permit (which I believe bears her maiden name) and son's birth certificate just in case any of these things are needed. I myself will be taking her as far as the check in desk before returning home for 3 weeks of well-earned rest!

Cheers

I don't imagine she will have any issue,as long as she has the card she made the payment with it will be fine,she can explain her situation also if need be,that's if they even query it.

Edited by stoneyboy

If she's taking her marriage certificate there should be no problem.

I have taken hundreds of flights to & from various countries and I have never been asked to show my credit/debit cards.

I assume she's flying on British Airways by your post, download their app which will allow them to select their seats 24 hours before departure and will ask for passport details to be added on line which links her passport to the ticket, on checkin, BA normally only ask for the passports as the bookings are linked.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bantex. She has already booked her seats and I believe this was made possible because she will be travelling with our infant son. I pity the poor soul who chooses to sit next to him on a long-haul flight. blink.png

• Like 1

If she's taking her marriage certificate there should be no problem.

I have taken hundreds of flights to & from various countries and I have never been asked to show my credit/debit cards.

I assume she's flying on British Airways by your post, download their app which will allow them to select their seats 24 hours before departure and will ask for passport details to be added

on line which links her passport to the ticket, on checkin, BA normally only ask for the passports as the bookings are linked.

My experience is different. I've been asked to show the credit card that was used to make the booking lots of times, especially when booking flights directly on airline websites.

But, as you say, taking the marriage certificate along should clear any confusion.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bantex. She has already booked her seats and I believe this was made possible because she will be travelling with our infant son. I pity the poor soul who chooses to sit next to him on a long-haul flight. blink.png

Try to keep the infant awake for as long as possible before the flight and if a baby, feed him shortly after take off and the child will soon fall asleep. The movements of the plane can have a soothing effect on babies. Edited by Bantex