Thailand bans 'rude' opinions ahead of crucial referendum

webfact

I'm not taking a for or against position here (so as to stay legal) but this all looks very much like game, set and match to the generals, really. If people vote 'yes' the generals formalise their grip on power, if people vote 'no' then the generals stay in power while they write another constitution. What's the point of this referendum, and why is it being described as 'crucial', when it's really just a façade, going through the motions, as it were?

Perhaps we should coin a phrase 'as busy as a Thai constitution writer'?

The full story does say that the military have promised an election by mid 2017 even if the constitution is rejected. What it doesn't say is how this will all work which is the worrying part.

Not to worry.

Prayut said that if the draft charter fails to receive public endorsement, a contingency plan has been prepared.

Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krea-ngam clarified that if the draft was rejected in the referendum, the Prayut government would amend the 2015 Meechai draft charter and have it promulgated without another referendum. Promulgation might be in the form of approval by the junta-appointed NLA and royal endorsement - same process used with the 1997 Constitution. The junta would then proceed with its appointments to the Senate and national election of the House of parliament.

I'm not taking a for or against position here (so as to stay legal) but this all looks very much like game, set and match to the generals, really. If people vote 'yes' the generals formalise their grip on power, if people vote 'no' then the generals stay in power while they write another constitution. What's the point of this referendum, and why is it being described as 'crucial', when it's really just a façade, going through the motions, as it were?

The full story does say that the military have promised an election by mid 2017 even if the constitution is rejected. What it doesn't say is how this will all work which is the worrying part.

Not to worry.

Prayut said that if the draft charter fails to receive public endorsement, a contingency plan has been prepared.

Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krea-ngam clarified that if the draft was rejected in the referendum, the Prayut government would amend the 2015 Meechai draft charter and have it promulgated without another referendum. Promulgation might be in the form of approval by the junta-appointed NLA and royal endorsement - same process used with the 1997 Constitution. The junta would then proceed with its appointments to the Senate and national election of the House of parliament.

Agreed, nothing to worry as everything is under control (pardon the pun). He has spoken.

"It reports that if the draft constitution is voted down in the Aug 7 referendum, a new one will be written from scratch and no past charter will be used in its place. The scary bit was then added: Ill use the version in my head and heart. I wont use anything else.

Headline should read....''Thailand bans ANY opinions ahead of crucial referendum'' !

When the Government fears the people there is liberty, when the people fear the Government there is tyranny (Thomas Jefferson).

Posts commenting on moderation have been removed. Another post with nazi generalizations has been removed as well as the reply.

A post in ALL CAPS has now been removed.

Edited by metisdead

The referendum is the result of a thought bubble dreamt up by someone in power (puyai) with the intended purpose of

1. convincing Somchai that he is part of a democratic state, and

2. (importantly) to convince the rest of the world that it is a democratic state.

Doubtful if eiither of those things will happen.

Edited by bheard

It goes something like this....

You can under law be critical but need to state rationally why, and speak , write in a dignified manner.

( remember that in itself is judged by the military )

However, if you are just saying things like "this charter is bad and won't allow fair representation ."

This breaks the national security laws that state you can't cause civil unrest.

( again judge is military as to the impact)

If you add any implicit accusations its AA at best and/ or monkey house.

Maybe for a year or two.

So , the rude ban is in the eye of the beholder.

And they hold power.

The document being voted on is a tool to keep it.

I doubt much protest internally will be mentioned.

I freely , from Sydney Australia can say I think the charter is a non democratic article .

But Thais are not able to easily say this.

Sadly, in time it will be far worse.

And the reality is the military will not return power to the people or happiness

• 2 weeks later...

Not to worry.

Excellent. Probably a better result. I imagine the international reaction would be worth watching. Including the stuff that doesn't look like it's governments doing it.

Winnie