Cheap Beer?

leonardpeltz

If you drink like a (Chinese) girl, maybe. And actually more like triple, and the pesticide residues in the german beers? As long as farang keep paying ridiculous import taxes on non-essential items, the Thais rarely buy. the Excise department isn't even going to consider lowering them.

What you mean "If you drink like a (Chinese) girl"?blink.png

I am not Farang, so may be i am lost some?

In thailand almost ALL have double and even triple price..

Import tax have foralmost ALL

and thailand not produce much any..

And alcohol business it higth profit

even not in Thailand where labor cost cheap and alcohol drink as "Chang" thai called beer also higest.

how i know in this is business. SO Normal beer( even not very higth qulity) not "non-essential items" and thats why the Excise department isn't even going to consider lowering them.

Not going to consider lowering tax becouse have less buy domestic alcohol..

it is a closed market without competition

With very GOOD profit..

biggrin.png

160b a bottle is on par or less than you would pay in most English pubs. If you buy the bottles in a supermarket they will be cheaper than here.

Yes is it.

But in bar in Thailand its not 160.. it 250-400wink.png

200baht in the 2 bars nearest my house.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, my name's Jim and I'm an alcoholic. That's all this thread actually says. If you're that worried about 4 baht on a bottle of Chang... get a better job.

OP not ask about Chang

His ask about beer!!!!

Please read carefully.

and some store have different price 10-50 b per botle. If even not alcoholic its can save 400-3000 bath per month

And yes i am poor.

after pay back my debet may be have some money..

I do not see anything wrong with that man not have deep pocket and want save few dollar

Two large, award winning, Tigers from tops for 110 thb per day...or two "Fagenwietzens" from a well known male meet-up place on Nimman at 360 THB? That's a difference of 7500 THB per month....that's more than most pay in rent.....2 beers a day? An alcoholic...better than being diabetic or just a plain axhole.

Nothing quite like an insane comparison is there? Given that 7-11 sells beer reasonably cheaply and it would be impossible for any expat to have failed to have discovered 7-11 given that there's one every 3 doors here in Chiang Mai; what we're talking about is trying to grind an extra baht beyond the 7-11 point. That's when your alcoholism is a problem that you should address by stopping drinking or earning more money. It has nothing to do with the price of a premium pint in Nimman. So please cease the sophistry.

it's not like comparing rice to steak, it;s like comparing a USDA Choice Steak to a USDA Select Steak...many would actually choose the Select grade steak..seen it with my own eyes.

Ha ha.

Steak in Thailand hight cost.

So then not big different for you be thai home made alkohol with cola;)

If you drink like a (Chinese) girl, maybe. And actually more like triple, and the pesticide residues in the german beers? As long as farang keep paying ridiculous import taxes on non-essential items, the Thais rarely buy. the Excise department isn't even going to consider lowering them.

even not in Thailand where labor cost cheap and alcohol drink as "Chang" thai called beer also higest.

how i know in this is business. SO Normal beer( even not very higth qulity) not "non-essential items" and thats why the Excise department isn't even going to consider lowering them.

With very GOOD profit..

biggrin.png

160b a bottle is on par or less than you would pay in most English pubs. If you buy the bottles in a supermarket they will be cheaper than here.

Yes is it.

May be maybe

But i just compare with simular brand as in UK;)

In UK also have some pub even less than 2 GDP pint but i do not remember brand;)

With very GOOD profit..

biggrin.png

Yes is it.

May be maybe

But i just compare with simular brand as in UK;)

In UK also have some pub even less than 2 GDP pint but i do not remember brand;)

Wetherspoons buys up beer cheap and sells it cheap, but most pubs are probably twice the price. I say probably because I've not been home for nearly 15 years.

Anyway, I'm happy to pay 200b for a decent beer in a bar. If sitting outside 7/11 wearing a wifebeater drinking the awful p*ss masquerading as beer here is your bag then knock yourself out.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

>>Anyway, I'm happy to pay 200b for a decent beer in a bar. If sitting outside 7/11 wearing a wifebeater drinking the awful p*ss masquerading as beer <<

The OP asked a simple question about where to get cheap beer ,and now he is being tainted as a wife beater .Would put anyone off asking any kind of question on this forum.

>>Anyway, I'm happy to pay 200b for a decent beer in a bar. If sitting outside 7/11 wearing a wifebeater drinking the awful p*ss masquerading as beer <<

The OP asked a simple question about where to get cheap beer ,and now he is being tainted as a wife beater .Would put anyone off asking any kind of question on this forum.

I have to assume English isn’t your native language. A wifebeater is a sleeveless T-shirt (vest) usually sporting the logo of one of Thailand's godawful lagers.

Cheapest beer prices?

any of the shops on NonPrakang Soi 1

5am openings

Nice folk.

better option?

brew your own - eventually you will master the art and never write about this matter on TV again

riskier but truly worth it option?

somehow transport a large amount of "Klang" (silver coloured can - 7%) from Cambodia - awesome brew

Edited by streetsweeper

The OP asked a simple question about where to get cheap beer ,and now he is being tainted as a wife beater .Would put anyone off asking any kind of question on this for

If you read carefully. You would see JaseTheBass be First who give OP simple ansver with right direction..

"The Bottle Shop on Nimman (near Tesco) sells cheap beer. A bottle of London Pride is only about 160B."

Can you tell us WHERE beer cheap than Bottle Shop on Nimman?

I guess it would be interesting not only for me and OP..

The OP asked a simple question about where to get cheap beer ,and now he is being tainted as a wife beater .Would put anyone off asking any kind of question on this for

If you read carefully. You would see JaseTheBass be First who give OP simple ansver with right direction..

"The Bottle Shop on Nimman (near Tesco) sells cheap beer. A bottle of London Pride is only about 160B."

Can you tell us WHERE beer cheap than Bottle Shop on Nimman?

I guess it would be interesting not only for me and OP..

Order from Wishbeer. About 10 to 15b a bottle cheaper.

Tiger is considered one of Singapore's top 10 brands. I t has also won a number of awards at international tasting competitions. It is also geared more for the tropical climate we live in. 55 THB for a large at Tops, KSK...that's my final answer.

Had my worst hangover ever when that first came to Thailand. Typical generic p*ss courtesy of Heineken.

Tiger is considered one of Singapore's top 10 brands. I t has also won a number of awards at international tasting competitions. It is also geared more for the tropical climate we live in. 55 THB for a large at Tops, KSK...that's my final answer.

Never heard that Singapore beer nationblink.png

Of course, you can win a top of the best submarines ....in the desert

but that does not mean that it will berolleyes.gif

wai.gif

Top 10 brands period.....out of all consumer goods. Their affiliation with Heineken is recent.

Brands? Not products?

Is say anythink about taste or qality product?

Or its say about how good edvartaising and get profit ?

Ps

Never like heineken.

But even Tiger its not heineken.

Do you know for beer even

important water. And can change taste even same tehnology produced?

;)

wai.gif

True. Chang has won gold medals in Australia according to their labeling. A reflection of how poor Aussie beer is too.

>>Why? It's utter cack. <<...Chang or Singha is decent enough .I would far rather have fresh Guinness on draught ,but thats not going to happen .

Why not? There are places around with Guinness on draught. Red Lion used to and there are others.

>>Why? It's utter cack. <<...Chang or Singha is decent enough .I would far rather have fresh Guinness on draught ,but thats not going to happen .

Why not? There are places around with Guinness on draught. Red Lion used to and there are others.

Yes ,''Red Lion '' has/used to have the cheapest draught Guinness at B199. Many others UN Irish ,O Malleys etc are B240.....I just can not justify paying so much for a drink that i will consume in about 10 minutes .I do splash out though and have one ,every few weeks or so .

Edited by anto

According to wiki, Asia Pacific Breweries is the importer of Guinness in Thailand, and you are correct that it is the Irish version. Ironic the Jase has such a disdain for TAPB. BTW, Tiger is exported to more countries than any other Asian beer. TAPB is the second largest brewer of Heineken in Asia, likely behind the one in Hainan, as Heineken sales are increasing by double digit percentages every year in China.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

the best values I have seen are on boxes of 12 large Tigers or 12 large Singha at Makro for about 55 per bottle. Some of the other stores will have a similar price on the large Singhas, but the Tigers by the box are hard to find...many only sell individuals..but still Tops at KSK charges 55 for a large Tiger..so that is 660 THB. Night and day vs. Elephant piss or Lion piss. Tops at Airport Plaza is decent, too. Large Elephant pisses are 555 thb per case at Tesco Ex[ress and Lion piss is 568....but you can get a box of 500 ml Singhas for 556, but the large are a better deal per ml., by 1 or 2%.

bars sell them for 60 so there must be a true wholesale place somewhere

bars have been undercutting Tesco with promotions for years, here. They often are 3-6 months old, and rarely cold. T-bar was doing 4 for 200 large Tigers a few months ago....old and warm. The storage facilities are just too hot to buy beer that has been around long. I had some Leos in KKN a few years ago, and they were only a few days old...actually tasted more like beer and less like salad dressing....

Cheapest beer prices?

any of the shops on NonPrakang Soi 1

5am openings

Nice folk.

better option?

brew your own - eventually you will master the art and never write about this matter on TV again

riskier but truly worth it option?

somehow transport a large amount of "Klang" (silver coloured can - 7%) from Cambodia - awesome brew

"brew your own"? This raises the obvious question, where do you get home brewing supplies in Thailand?

If you can find them, you will then have to determine how you will keep the wort at a temperature that beer yeast like during fermentation--if fermentation temperatures rise much above 20C for ales (lower for lagers) the beer goes off.

Home brewing is great fun for a beer lover, but it's not a great way to save money.

wai.gif

True. Chang has won gold medals in Australia according to their labeling. A reflection of how poor Aussie beer is too.

More likely a reflection of the fact that if you enter enough competitions you will eventually win a few. I think we've all tasted "award winning" wines that were crap.

By Thailand standards (meaning low standards) I think Tiger is pretty good. Unfortunately many places don't carry it. I suspect Chang has something to do with that.

pretty rational statements by Bruce for 3am....yes, homebrewing often ends up costing you a lot per bottle, not even counting your time, and I'm sure no one cares about the calorie content here, as we all get so much exercise sprinting across Moon Mueang twice per day. But I recall my brother looking at my two six packs of Sierra Nevada Stout one time and saying: "if you drink 12 of those a day; you will be as big as a house."

This attitude of all Thai beer is rubbish, reminds me of the people, who claim that all street food is rubbish.....if some of that street food was served to you at many of the sit-down restaurants in CM at simply triple the price; many would come on TV and tout the great restaurant.

The middle of the road is often the best way in Thailand..I think Tiger and Singha are the middle road. No need to spend 6000 per night on a hotel, but no need to spend 200, either....the thread is "cheap beer;" I really don't see the relevance of 200 thb Guiness that has been shaken like a welfare baby during its long journey around the world.

>> I really don't see the relevance of 200 thb Guiness that has been shaken like a welfare baby during its long journey around the world.<<

​Actually the draught Guinness here (at least in the Red Lion Pub ) is pretty good .Its true though that the best Guinness in the World is the one you get in pubs in Ireland .