How to make the yard private

Mike45

I'm looking for ideas on how to give my yard some privacy from the roads we have on three sides by modifying the existing wall. I'd like it to look good, last a long time and hopefully be affordable.

I appreciate your suggestions.

post-33663-14623591381609_thumb.jpg

post-33663-14623592390913_thumb.jpg

A solid block wall, as it appears you neighbor has, is the most common solution.

I think it would be very expensive to try to turn this wall into a solid block wall. I have doubts that the foundation for something that heavy was installed. The wall between houses have those solid concrete sections. All the walls are to low.

Hedging.

Bourganvillia is fast growing and attractive if kept clipped.

I've usually seen bougainvillea used on top. Can it really be formed into a wall?

You need to keep it clipped so it bushes out and doesn't get too rangy when it's new. Once it's nice and bushy let it gain height slowly.

Hedging.

Bourganvillia is fast growing and attractive if kept clipped.

I've usually seen bougainvillea used on top. Can it really be formed into a wall?

Bougainvillea on a fence like yours.

post-146890-0-91899500-1462364220_thumb.

My wife said something about using Sherawood attached to the iron rails to give it a wood look. I don't know about Sherawood.

Dont do it....you will be sorry for it later....go with the hedging suggested....

You can buy coloured polycarbonate sheets that are generally used for roofs/extensions, cut to size and attach to present fence with some type of "silicone" glue! cheap, easy and adds privacy

My wife said something about using Sherawood attached to the iron rails to give it a wood look. I don't know about Sherawood.

Dont do it....you will be sorry for it later....go with the hedging suggested....
Why do you think we will regret it? Please explain.

You can buy coloured polycarbonate sheets that are generally used for roofs/extensions, cut to size and attach to present fence with some type of "silicone" glue! cheap, easy and adds privacy

You mean something like this?

post-33663-14623762266574_thumb.jpg

^ Yes Mike, I tried to post a picture but gave up! we used green poly carbonate and have planted hedging in front which will take a few years until it is effective

A very high solid wall like a fortress wall would be nice, maybe a few turrets and bastions as well. Like they do them in Mexico or Spain with soft edges and a bit uneven. White color. A massive front gate and a few side doors here and there. Something like the pic but much higher....

post-223868-0-84300500-1462411360_thumb.

I think not a bad idea. I see more and more people using it around my village. Many color choices and and you can space the boards according to the privacy you desire.

post-92454-0-53526400-1462413144_thumb.j

The thing is, do you want it to look like you're keeping out the prying eyes?

Or do you just want to keep out the prying eyes?

We have a 2m wall around about half of our perimeter, it's 1m for the rest (but overlooks the khlong so security is less of an issue).

But and it's a big but, we have 1.5 Rai so it doesn't feel enclosed, such a wall around our OP's place would feel really confined.

A solid block wall, as it appears you neighbor has, is the most common solution.

I think it would be very expensive to try to turn this wall into a solid block wall. I have doubts that the foundation for something that heavy was installed. The wall between houses have those solid concrete sections. All the walls are to low.

I think its a great and simple idea... you can use the existing iron bar's as reinforcement, total cost about 250 thb / sqm

Just pour concrete in a casing from outer and inner plates on the existing...

Not sure why you say that - our village has a demonstration/show price home done about a decade ago and it still looks better than most homes and AFAIK there has not been any maintenance done.

Do you want plastic, or something beautiful?

Dying plants are not all that beautiful - and require continuous maintenance and water in what is becoming a desert (although we can hope this is temporary). Artificial wood can be quite attractive and not require excessive care and upkeep. Not everyone has a green thumb - and even those that do may find constant cleaning of roadway a major PIA (you are responsible for local road cleaning in Thailand).

Dying plants are not all that beautiful - and require continuous maintenance and water in what is becoming a desert (although we can hope this is temporary). Artificial wood can be quite attractive and not require excessive care and upkeep. Not everyone has a green thumb - and even those that do may find constant cleaning of roadway a major PIA (you are responsible for local road cleaning in Thailand).

Can you explain that last comment about being responsible for local road cleaning please - not heard that before?

You normally clean the area in front of your home here - there is no public road cleaning (unless paying in a closed community). So each day you or maid sweep up leaves and bags and whatever and keep the road clean - or you get the evil eye from neighbors. In many cases you also use some of this roadway for plants/flowers/statues/parking so it is kind of payback.

Archived