How to make the yard private

Mike45

Try vertical pieces of wood-grained plastic leaving 2 or 3 inch spaces in between. You could even extend the height of the existing wall if you so desire, A Bouganvilla hedge looks terrific but I have an allergy when pricked by one of the thorns. Never heals and winds up leaving a crater. I have an existing cement wall in back which I extended two meters by putting in chain link sections. I later added green poly for privacy reasons when they built two houses behind me. Not ideal but fairly cheap and very private..

A 2 metre high concrete wall might be best. You can get it rendered and paint it two tone to match the house. Ours cost 1,300 Baht per metre, complete, but we are in a rural area.

I'm looking for ideas on how to give my yard some privacy from the roads we have on three sides by modifying the existing wall. I'd like it to look good, last a long time and hopefully be affordable.

I appreciate your suggestions.

We used a common bush called "Moke" to border our walls. As you can see it grows rather high if you want it to. Requires trimming about once a month and little water. Ours are now 4 years old and provide adequate privacy. They also bloom a couple times a years and leaves a nice scent in the air.

post-71186-14624261104762_thumb.jpg

post-71186-14624261256503_thumb.jpg

For little money you can get a natural, beautiful and nice smelling hedge made of Writhtia; the Thai name is Ton Mok - ต้นโมก - and looks as enclosed. Cheap, available at most garden markets and finished in one afternoon. If you plant them close together, i.e. 20 cos apart in a zigzag way then you will have an invincible fence gigglem.gif

post-65504-0-56845000-1462426816_thumb.j

post-65504-0-36633700-1462426831_thumb.j

Hey, those Bougainvillea are beautiful!

Look quite nice but personally I hate them. Ever had one of the thorns go straight through you thongs (flip flops) after pruning? Or shred your arms if you get too close?

Hurts like hell.

Plenty of other fast growing creepers available.

Some nice advice and alternatives here :)... I like the bushy hedges, but looks like a lot of work. See pic below... I've seen this quite a lot around where I live... in SA... I'm sure you can find this over there as well... called shade cloth and attached to the gates with small cable ties and very inexpensive. Comes in different colours too.

13895406263730374201374171421_529378508_

Hey, those Bougainvillea are beautiful!

Look quite nice but personally I hate them. Ever had one of the thorns go straight through you thongs (flip flops) after pruning? Or shred your arms if you get too close?

Hurts like hell.

Plenty of other fast growing creepers available.

Have to agree, looks great but a bloody nightmare to maintain, difficult to cut, bites at every opportunity, just clearing the stuff away you need to be wearing a full bio hazard asbestos suit!

One concern for this home - although expect it may be a closed community now that may not be the case in a few years time and homes bordered by roads are prime theft targets. So leaving open for all to see or closed with high fence may be the best options. But remember often the Thai way is not to become involved so windows in banks may not be the best option here.

I'm looking for ideas on how to give my yard some privacy from the roads we have on three sides by modifying the existing wall. I'd like it to look good, last a long time and hopefully be affordable.

I appreciate your suggestions.

We used a common bush called "Moke" to border our walls. As you can see it grows rather high if you want it to. Requires trimming about once a month and little water. Ours are now 4 years old and provide adequate privacy. They also bloom a couple times a years and leaves a nice scent in the air.

This gotta be the best idea.

You are in a moo bahn surrounded by concrete why add more .

Will feel like a prison for sure.

This is called ton moke. I done it on my old house within a year plus will form a wall .

But remember there are many different ones and the strong smelling ones all round the yard does give some people headaches.

I too am interested in ideas. In my situation an unsightly apartment has been built right in front of my house. It is quite ugly in my opinion and would like some privacy. Was considering emerald aborvitae but don't know if can get here. If planted 3 ft apart they can form a nice hedge with no pruning required but grow to about 15ft

Do you want the breeze to go thru ?

or having people look thru

or keep the dogs from seeing the street

or security ?

look good on the street side or on your yard side ?

so many kinds of fences and reasons to have them

I'm primarily trying to get privacy. I have a large outside covered area and I'd like to enjoy it without being on display.

The area is well lighted with Street lights so that helps with security.

I am interested in ideas about trees that could be planted to form a hedge so I don't have to see the building in front of my house. In my situation a two Storey apartment has been built right in front of my house. It is quite ugly in my opinion and would like some privacy.

Was considering emerald aborvitae but don't know if can get here. If planted 3 ft apart they can form a nice hedge with no pruning required but grow to about 15ft. Probably quite satisfactory in this instance.

I'm trying to get privacy. I have a large garden and I'd like to enjoy it without being on display. Also as a barrier to noise and the like.

Any recommendations about types of trees or any other ideas greatly appreciated

Do you have a photo of the chain link so I can understand.

Try vertical pieces of wood-grained plastic leaving 2 or 3 inch spaces in between. You could even extend the height of the existing wall if you so desire, A Bouganvilla hedge looks terrific but I have an allergy when pricked by one of the thorns. Never heals and winds up leaving a crater. I have an existing cement wall in back which I extended two meters by putting in chain link sections. I later added green poly for privacy reasons when they built two houses behind me. Not ideal but fairly cheap and very private..

My wife said something about using Sherawood attached to the iron rails to give it a wood look. I don't know about Sherawood.

Dont do it....you will be sorry for it later....go with the hedging suggested....
Why do you think we will regret it? Please explain.

The sherawood as you call it, wont stand up for as long as you think. It breaks down after a couple of years in the weather here. It is not to the standard you would get in Western Countries. Any movement in the foundation of the fence and you will be replacing the shattered pieces....time after time.

Besides if you were to use sheets, it would turn your property into an oven....

You must make the decision yourself, but for me, the hedge looks better, there's no expensive maintenance, and the air will drift through it and keep the lawn grass at a decent temperature....

Can recommend ivy gourd aka Tindora, don't know it's Thai name. The cheapest option and grows extremely fast + eatable yield. This ivy grows wild everythere in my area (Hua Hin), and the Thais often use it as a fence.

Archived