Do you enjoy walking in Bangkok?

Andy2310

Oh I remember my most exciting walk in Bangkok. It was on the night of the curfew. I had had several drinks around the Saphan Kwai area, which is a nice way to say I was well drunk. I had just missed the last sky train and thought 'nice evening for a stroll' Of course all the taxi drivers that saw me thought they were in for a nice pay day.

The walk from Saphan Kwai to Thong Lor took over 3 hours if I remember rightly. Within the first 20-30 minutes I walked past the army barracks and had plenty of soldiers giving me funny looks. And I did seem to be the only person on the road around there. Well what could I do but walk. If they shoot me I'm dead. The walk after that was pretty boring until I got to the Nana part of town, it was there I realized I wasn't the only one not taking notice of the curfew. There were bars open and plenty of people out and about.

I must admit that was a nice walk as there was hardly any traffic about at all. Other than the soldiers I don't think I was a policeman the whole way home. Maybe they thought the curfew was for them also.

That was the night that also confirmed by belief that Bangkok is a safe place to be anytime day or night.

Edited by berybert

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love walking in Bangkok. I go prepared with face mask, sunglasses, hat etc. There's always a 7 11 if you need to cool down and get one of those cool towels. Best time is early morning. Head out at sunrise before the traffic gets bad.

Oh I remember my most exciting walk in Bangkok. It was on the night of the curfew. I had had several drinks around the Saphan Kwai area, which is a nice way to say I was well drunk. I had just missed the last sky train and thought 'nice evening for a stroll' Of course all the taxi drivers that saw me thought they were in for a nice pay day.

The walk from Saphan Kwai to Thong Lor took over 3 hours if I remember rightly. Within the first 20-30 minutes I walked past the army barracks and had plenty of soldiers giving me funny looks. And I did seem to be the only person on the road around there. Well what could I do but walk. If they shoot me I'm dead. The walk after that was pretty boring until I got to the Nana part of town, it was there I realized I wasn't the only one not taking notice of the curfew. There were bars open and plenty of people out and about.

I must admit that was a nice walk as there was hardly any traffic about at all. Other than the soldiers I don't think I was a policeman the whole way home. Maybe they thought the curfew was for them also.

That was the night that also confirmed by belief that Bangkok is a safe place to be anytime day or night.

Good thing you didn't morphed into a policeman, it could have left you with permanent brain damage.

Good thing you didn't morphed into a policeman, it could have left you with permanent brain damage.

Ha ha well spotted. I deffo wasn't a policeman the whole way home, tho I could have arrested some of the girls around Nana. Well they looked like girls.

Sweating is GOOD for you! So is bathing in NORMAL water.

Don't walk for EXERCISE (how stupid). Just walk to places you need to go, like between Skytrain stops.

There's a great overhead walkway from Lumpini to Asok, try it out. Or bike it.

Hydrate, wear a hat. Forget the nanoparticle sunscreens. Use zinc oxide ointment on the places that burn. (OK, maybe keep those pants on in the city!)

I don't walk during the hottest months in Bangkok.The cooler months,which is few and far between in Bangkok I walk.During one

Of the so called cooler months I went to the weekend market in Bangkok.Chachauk,Mochit BTS after an hour I had to get back to the BTS to get some cool air.I believe you can get heat stroke quite easily in Bangkok

Well, back in the day, I used to walk Sukhumvit--from the Golden Palace, soi 1, to Washington Square, soi 22, and back--but only at night On the way to a friends place in W2, I would stop at the four or five "Rose-named" bars and had a few in each. Then partied the evening away in W2 and at Tuwat's Bar, my friend's place. On the way back, I would invariably stop at the Offshore and the Thermae. Never had a hassle or bad experience, but this was in the '60's.

You should have tried it in the 1940s. You could walk across the whole of Bangkok in less than an hour. Those were the days when girls like supermodels were throwing themselves at you for 50 baht long time.

Edited by Thainess

I don't walk during the hottest months in Bangkok.The cooler months,which is few and far between in Bangkok I walk.During one

Of the so called cooler months I went to the weekend market in Bangkok.Chachauk,Mochit BTS after an hour I had to get back to the BTS to get some cool air.I believe you can get heat stroke quite easily in Bangkok

Well, back in the day, I used to walk Sukhumvit--from the Golden Palace, soi 1, to Washington Square, soi 22, and back--but only at night On the way to a friends place in W2, I would stop at the four or five "Rose-named" bars and had a few in each. Then partied the evening away in W2 and at Tuwat's Bar, my friend's place. On the way back, I would invariably stop at the Offshore and the Thermae. Never had a hassle or bad experience, but this was in the '60's.

My walks from Golden Palace were in the other direction, to Rendezvous in Gaysorn, those days. And often made that trip before noon

Sorry, the only before noon activities I know are coming home to sleep.

You should have tried it in the 1940s. You could walk across the whole of Bangkok in less than an hour. Those were the days when girls like supermodels were throwing themselves at you for 50 baht long time.

In the forties, I was in Saigon where the supermodels paid me to have sex with them. But, alas, you will never know.

I walk on most days for about an hour and a half around the Suphan Sung/Romklao area and have done for over the past 5 years In this time I've had to negotiate many obstacles on the walkway but have also met a lot of Thai I have several who I stop and have a pigeon Thai conversation with If I don't walk on a day they check with me the next time to see if I'm ok I walk from around 9.30am all year round I have never worn sunblock but do wear a cap My attire is shorts, T shirt and sneakers Yes it gets hot but this is Thailand and the reason I moved here

I walk often in Bangkok and have had some of my most enjoyable experiences in doing so. My favorite areas are in neighborhoods near the Chao Phraya river and I've explored many places in Khlong San, Chinatown, the old city, etc. There are many narrow streets and back alleys which lead to temples, schools, markets and hidden neighborhoods. It's really a fascinating city.

There are signs on the street in Chinatown that show walking routes, or try this link:

http://bangkokforvisitors.com/chinatown/walking-tour.php

Song Wat Road near the Rachawong ferry terminal is a good place to walk if you like to see old buildings. In that area you'll also see signs pointing the way to different sites and temples. There are many alleys and streets to explore. You might find your way to Wat Traimit, or explore the busy market alley, Sampaeng Lane.

On the other side of the river I enjoyed walking from Khlong San plaza to Wat Thong Thammachat, and then finding the path to the more modern Chee Chin Khor Chinese society temple, which you can climb up 8 stories for a nice view. If you walk the paths further west you'll wander a bike path and narrow streets through neighborhoods, and eventually end up at Din Daeng Cross River Ferry Pier. (There is a market there also, and many fruit or food vendors on that road.)

At mid-day I often find myself to be the only visitor (let alone Western visitor) at many temples, or the only foreigner visiting an entire neighborhood. It's fascinating and exciting.

I agree with the comments about snarling dogs. I've found myself having to retreat from dogs I've encountered on the street a few different times. If you plan ahead I'd bring a walking stick and some dog treats. The other thing is to simply plan for the heat. I often bring paper towels to wipe my brow, and frequently stop at convenience stores to quench my thirst.

Enjoy your walking! I think it's one of the best ways to learn about the city.

walk to the far end of soi 4 down past the Omni into the tobacco monopoly grounds..there is a gate there but nobody cares if you walk through....lot of shade there and then you can enter Queen S park which is very nice.

Bangkok is very unpleasant for walking.

How wrong you are.

Walking in Bangkok can be one of life's great pleasures. Have you never just 'gone' and see where you end up ?

There are so many places and experiences that can be found getting lost it Bangkok it just isn't true.

I often used to see which way the wind would blow me. There is much to be found.

in fact the obstacles and challenges are what makes walking so interesting. then again, im not attempting to "go anywhere" in particular or "in a hurry" during these excursions.

very rarely do i see someone who has the time and leisure to stroll without rushing during my walks. but im glad they are out there somewhere!

in fact the obstacles and challenges are what makes walking so interesting. then again, im not attempting to "go anywhere" in particular or "in a hurry" during these excursions.

very rarely do i see someone who has the time and leisure to stroll without rushing during my walks. but im glad they are out there somewhere!

Where you walk there are no Thai people ? Because the pace at which many of them walk is close to the pace of molecules when the temperature approaches absolute zero !

Yesterday Sunday was pretty hot but I still managed a walk from Sala Daeng down to the river and River City, along the Chinatown Route and along to Jaowarat and then on to the Democracy monument and finally to the Gecko bar on Ram Butri near Khao San road. About 1 hour 45 mins starting about 3.15 pm.

The beers in the Gecko bar tasted great (which is more than you can say about their toilets).

Sunday is a great day for this type of walk, just do it!

Walk around the older parts of BKK while you still can ,

many are getting torn down for more condos , "cleaned up" and closed down markets ,

and also we are just getting older and its not as easy as it was when you are younger and fiter

I enjoy walking around , but then I also a interested in what people are making / building and often the shops are open to the street,

Others just enjoy walking from Shopping Mall to Mall and thats OK if your ATM card is charged up smile.png

Edited by BKKdreaming

So many older people in the west are trapped in their own homes:- poor health, too far to walk to the shops, cannot drive a car anymore, weather always too cold or too windy or too wet to go outside, too many 'steep' hills to climb etc etc.

Living in Bangkok and many other Thai cities we will always be able to take a taxi to the nearest mall and sit it out or walk around the air-conditioned spaces with nice even floors. In fact a lot of the less 'posh' malls already have communities of elderly meeting daily in the food courts and some even put on events to entertain this age group.

Having seen how my parents 'suffered' in their nice bungalow in a quiet suburb on the south coast of the UK I am happy to be growing old in Bangkok.

Don't walk for EXERCISE (how stupid). Just walk to places you need to go, like between Skytrain stops.

Hydrate, wear a hat. Forget the nanoparticle sunscreens. Use zinc oxide ointment on the places that burn. (OK, maybe keep those pants on in the city!)

Can't stand communal transport, so when in Bangkok or any other place I do not have my own transport, I either walk or take a/c taxis. On these hot days, you can guess which. I have no problem with paying a bit extra to go where I want, and I can even have them stop to pick up some cold beers. In fact, taxis usually end up being cheaper than walking--during all walks I stop at the next bar.

Can't stand communal transport, so when in Bangkok or any other place I do not have my own transport, I either walk or take a/c taxis. On these hot days, you can guess which. I have no problem with paying a bit extra to go where I want, and I can even have them stop to pick up some cold beers. In fact, taxis usually end up being cheaper than walking--during all walks I stop at the next bar.

Sounds like you have an alcohol problem.