Hua Hin airport to be expanded to accommodate larger aircraft

Hua Hin airport to be expanded to accommodate larger aircraft

post-247607-0-69617900-1462598556_thumb.

BANGKOK: The Transport Ministry plans to improve and expand the runway of Hua Hin airport so that it can handle larger aircraft.

The plan aimed at promoting international tourism to this famous seaside resort town not far from Bangkok.

The plan was disclosed yesterday as the transport minister Mr Arkhom Termpittayapaisith visited the airport on his inspection trip.

He ordered that a plan to develop the airport be created to improve the capability of this comparatively underutilized air terminal.

At present, only one carrier operates from the airport and other than that it is primarily used as a base for the Civil Aviation Training Center.

He said Hua Hin airport is actually well equipped with a 35-meter wide 2,100-meter long runway which can support Boeing 737 aircraft.

It has strong potential for development and improvements as its capabilities could facilitate aircraft even larger in size.

This will then attract even more carriers which in turn will dramatically improve tourism in and around Hua Hin, he said.

Furthermore, should the improvements meet the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standards then its potential will increase exponentially.

He then assigned the Department of Airports the responsibility of expanding the width of the runway from 35 to 45 meters as a mean to promote international tourism to this seaside resort.

At present 80% of tourists to Hua Hin are Thais, and 20% foreign tourists from Europe.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/162361

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-07

If it can take 737 / A320 size and the airport is not used why expand the airport - just throwing money away

What i would like to see is a commuter service to Suvarnabhumi.

It is ridiculous to put Tourists, or Expats through a 4 hour , 230km ordeal by road to Hua Hin/Paknampran in a Camry which possibly costs as much as much as their international flight.

If Thailand wants quality Tourists they had better step up.

Up to now no airways could make a longterm profit on any HH route, so why expand an airport that's under utilised in its present form. I speak under correction but at present the only regular commercial flight in and out are Lion with flights between HH and CM, with small aircraft. Or do certain people in government want an expanded airport for their "cabinet meetings".

If it can take 737 / A320 size and the airport is not used why expand the airport - just throwing money away

It is ridiculous to put Tourists, or Expats through a 4 hour , 230km ordeal by road to Hua Hin/Paknampran in a Camry which possibly costs as much as much as their international flight.

Take the Hua Hin Airport Bus which has been operating for more than 2 years.... Tickets are around 300 Baht.

Up to now no airways could make a longterm profit on any HH route, so why expand an airport that's under utilised in its present form. I speak under correction but at present the only regular commercial flight in and out are Lion with flights between HH and CM, with small aircraft. Or do certain people in government want an expanded airport for their "cabinet meetings".

It's Kan Air, not Lion.

So Hua Hin is to become the next Pattaya or Phuket?

Good luck to the current residents!

Right, they plan that the sector Hua hin - Cha am to be the next big attraction in Thailand; so many new buildings in this aerea, more and more new events which didn't exist 5 years ago; Cha am, before charming place, is changing every day; I am happy to leave soon, don't want a new Phuket here

The runway is fair as it is but the aproach from the north has a mountain 6NM from the aproach which could cause a problem with instrment descents. The aproach from the south is over water and a beach directly below shades of Princess Juliana.

Ah! good, the airport is in operation? cheesy.gif
What a joke.
I think HH / CM, it is not every day. sorry.gifmfr_closed1.gif

I think they use it mainly for light aircraft training, so too Pranburi. So it's largely the military using it. Now that's no surprise.

Take the Hua Hin Airport Bus which has been operating for more than 2 years.... Tickets are around 300 Baht.

Not for me, I want something better, as do many others.

True, KumSamui is right, the plane HH BGKK airport to airport would be better, but the direct bus is already well and is very comfortable.

Especially there is a lot of tourists to HH. The buses are always full departing from HH.

Not for me, I want something better, as do many others.

Don't knock it until you try it

Expanding the runway width and length will mean more bigger planes - maybe DIRECT flights from overseas perhaps. Now China does come to mind because I do n ot think they want those troublesome BRITISH because it costs too much for hospital bills and free flights and so forth

Edited by marcusd

It's Kan Air, not Lion.

I thought Kan Air went broke and ceased a few months ago???

Nice idea, more like a good joke actually as it has been in and out of the news for over a decade now.

King's palace will not allow it though...too close too noisy.

Especially real estate agents love to talk about it to ensure "your property will increase in value surely over time", because of a bigger airport.

As to date, 5.000 properties for sale in Hua Hin area so maybe this article will help selling those...

Why after the English tourists horror story going global they wont need an airport.

Ha ha, nice 1 ! Expanding the local police station might be a better idea indeed !

So Hua Hin is to become the next Pattaya or Phuket?

Good luck to the current residents!

Right, they plan that the sector Hua hin - Cha am to be the next big attraction in Thailand; so many new buildings in this aerea, more and more new events which didn't exist 5 years ago; Cha am, before charming place, is changing every day; I am happy to leave soon, don't want a new Phuket here

Your fear is unfounded, since the King of Thailand resides in Hua Hin it will never become a 2nd Patyaya or Phuket.

Instead, I believe after living there since 2003, that it always will be what it is now, an expensive sea resort town with mostly dirty and un-attractive beaches that gets flooded during the weekends with Bangkok upper class.