I made some sausage rolls today

I made a batch of 12 sausage rolls today using a Cumberland sausage recipe from Boycie from a long ago thread.

I used some Makro flaky pastry instead of sausage skins and they turned out OK though they didn't seem to taste like the Cumberland sausages that I remember though that was a few years ago.

I don't have any Cayenne pepper so I Googled for substitutes and came up with Paprika but I need twice the amount.

The next batch I will add some Worcester sauce and a few drops of Tabasco for that extra zing.

If my wife and son find them along with my neighbour they will disappear like .... hot sausage rolls.

I had 2 for lunch with HP sauce and that was enough for me.

2 down and 10 to go.

Cumberland sausage rolls v03 from Boycie.doc

post-5614-0-86923500-1462621172_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-95777800-1462621174_thumb.jp

funny how Brits when they say "sausage" actually mean "sausage meat".

You poor Americans are always going to struggle to speak English properly. tongue.png

We've refined the language by removing unnecessary letters in words and words in sentences!

I just finished watching the World Snooker Championships. When you're watching Mark Selby make a fabulous shot, the announcer says " He just made an unbelievable pot, Mark Selby". Why is Mark Selby added on the end of the sentence as we are obviously looking at him not Humpty Dumpty. I am old and have a short memory but not that short.

Where I grew up sausage was sausage whether bulk or links. Certain sausage, kielbasa, andouille, chorizo, etc. came in links but the sausage sold at the butcher shop was in bulk unless it was some special sausage which was in links normally because it was smoked. I make sausage all of the time but don't bother to try to find skims to stuff as it tastes the same in bulk because I don't smoke it.

We've also refined eating habits. I would have been smacked if I ever tried to smash food on the back of a fork held in my left hand with a knife in the right. I was taught that a fork is designed with tongs to "stab" a piece of meat and is curved the way it is to "scoop" up other food and the knife is made for cutting and not to be used as a blade to push food onto a fork. We also use "mugs" to drink coffee so we don't have to worry which way our "pinkys" are pointing.

Here I just use a big soup spoon for everything!

You poor Americans are always going to struggle to speak English properly. tongue.png

ah, but I am not American...

I'm a sausage expert because I'm German and I have worked in 3 different companies producing sausage, one of which is producing genuine Frankfurters (there are only 3 sausage plants I know of who can claim producing Frankfurters under German law).

:-)

I'm a sausage expert because I'm German and I have worked in 3 different companies producing sausage, one of which is producing genuine Frankfurters (there are only 3 sausage plants I know of who can claim producing Frankfurters under German law).

Ah then you will know our British curiosities! biggrin.png

I've never had a frankfurter.....what does that consist of?

When I grew up a frankfurter was the unpleasant smell that dad, whose name was Frank, left around the house after he ate pickled eggs washed down with beer!

We've refined the language by removing unnecessary letters in words and words in sentences!

I just finished watching the World Snooker Championships. When you're watching Mark Selby make a fabulous shot, the announcer says " He just made an unbelievable pot, Mark Selby". Why is Mark Selby added on the end of the sentence as we are obviously looking at him not Humpty Dumpty. I am old and have a short memory but not that short.

Where I grew up sausage was sausage whether bulk or links. Certain sausage, kielbasa, andouille, chorizo, etc. came in links but the sausage sold at the butcher shop was in bulk unless it was some special sausage which was in links normally because it was smoked. I make sausage all of the time but don't bother to try to find skims to stuff as it tastes the same in bulk because I don't smoke it.

We've also refined eating habits. I would have been smacked if I ever tried to smash food on the back of a fork held in my left hand with a knife in the right. I was taught that a fork is designed with tongs to "stab" a piece of meat and is curved the way it is to "scoop" up other food and the knife is made for cutting and not to be used as a blade to push food onto a fork. We also use "mugs" to drink coffee so we don't have to worry which way our "pinkys" are pointing.

...shovel it in...time to relax table etiquette...enjoy all your food more

I brought some Cumberland sausages from Makro and they were absolutely disgusting I will never buy them again.

It's obviously they have changed the recipe and who ever change it should be forced fed the disgusting sausages.

look good send some over, you have far too many and they are bad for you.

I do understand that but at 72 in a couple of weeks time I think I will enjoy the rest of my life. I will eat and drink what I like within reason as tomorrow I may die and I would rather die fat and happy than live a little longer and be skinny and miserable.

If you wish to send me your address I will get my neighbours dog to deliver them but once they start to thaw out they may not arrive. Sorry.

Edited by billd766

Try putting apple in the middle of the pork sausage meat before cooking next time - great combination.

Already cooked or uncooked apple?

Chopped or minced?

It is an interesting thought and something I might try next time.

Ah then you will know our British curiosities! biggrin.png

I've never had a frankfurter.....what does that consist of?

a Frankfurter is made of 100% finely chopped and spiced pork in a sheep bowel casing and cooked-smoked. Only sausages produced in the vicinity of Frankfurt am Main can be sold in Germany as "Frankfurters" - any other similar products must be labeled "Frankfurt-Style sausages" because Frankfurters are a protected origin product in Germany.

We've bastardized the language by removing unnecessary letters in words and words in sentences! You did good! Add to that the bizarre syllable stresses you lot make and you have quite a quaint language. giggle.gif

" He just made an unbelievable pot. Mark Selby!". (I've left your period outside the quotation marks for a good reason.) bah.gif

We've also refined eating habits. I would have been smacked if I ever tried to smash food on the back of a fork held in my left hand with a knife in the right. I was taught that a fork is designed with tongs to "stab" a piece of meat and is curved the way it is to "scoop" up other food and the knife is made for cutting and not to be used as a blade to push food onto a fork.

Why not just use a spoon then? Here I just use a big soup spoon for everything! Welcome home. cheesy.gif

We also use "mugs" to drink coffee so we don't have to worry which way our "pinkys" are pointing.

Agreed; coffee in mugs and tea in cups. thumbsup.gif

Edited by teacherofwoe

You cannot argue with the german sausage, when I was stationed in Germany, I loved the bratwurst and bockwurst with lashings of curry.

Funny how the Americans say "hamburgers" when it should be "minced meat".

It's funny how the Americans say everything. It's almost like they created a language specifically for irons.

Try putting apple in the middle of the pork sausage meat before cooking next time - great combination.

Already cooked or uncooked apple?

Chopped or minced?

It is an interesting thought and something I might try next time.

Use uncooked apple as it will cook with the rest of the sausage roll.

I find it best to chop the apple into small pieces of about 3-4 MM. as this allows it to be more evenly distributed in the sausage meat.

I was making sausage rolls every week but sick of them now. I found the secret to getting them like bakery sausage rolls is use about 50% breadcrumbs, nice wet mix, fatty mince (I make my own mince) , lots of sage. I crack black pepper in the missus mortar and pestle. That pastry looks nice? I've only seen one type of pre pack pastry here which they call puff but it's more like flour and water. Bloody expensive too at 100 baht for 6 tiny sheets. If u have a pic of the pkt I'd appreciate it. By the way, I freeze mine. 2 1/2 mins in the microwave perfect. Not crispy though same as wen fresh

I was making sausage rolls every week but sick of them now. I found the secret to getting them like bakery sausage rolls is use about 50% breadcrumbs, nice wet mix, fatty mince (I make my own mince) , lots of sage. I crack black pepper in the missus mortar and pestle. That pastry looks nice? I've only seen one type of pre pack pastry here which they call puff but it's more like flour and water. Bloody expensive too at 100 baht for 6 tiny sheets. If u have a pic of the pkt I'd appreciate it. By the way, I freeze mine. 2 1/2 mins in the microwave perfect. Not crispy though same as wen fresh

I also make my own mince and the pastry is from Makro frozen foods cabinet in a blue labelled pack with 3 sets in the pack.

I didn't use any breadcrumbs, just the mince and spices.

Those 12 took 2 sheets of puff pastry.

post-5614-0-64167400-1462794271_thumb.jp

Edited by billd766

I do understand that but at 72 in a couple of weeks time I think I will enjoy the rest of my life. I will eat and drink what I like within reason as tomorrow I may die and I would rather die fat and happy than live a little longer and be skinny and miserable.

If you wish to send me your address I will get my neighbours dog to deliver them but once they start to thaw out they may not arrive. Sorry.

LOL Bill...those do look delicious...I too would love to sample some!

Brits would not say 'sausage', they would say 'a sausage' or 'sausages'.

The confusion in the minds of Germans is probably the result of some German sausages being made as a large sausage and then sliced so that one is served with 'German sausage' rather than 'German sausages'.

For the Brits though there is no such confusion; a sausage is a singular item with sausages being the plural and sausage meat is the minced meat used in the making of sausages.

Edited by piersbeckett

LOL Bill...those do look delicious...I too would love to sample some!

Give me address and I will send the dog out again.

He didn't get far last time but when he came home there were no sausage rolls and the dog had a distinctly guilty look and there were a few crumbs around his mouth.