standard of English by falang teachers

Was sitting outside at Rama 3 today and could overhear 2 English teachers talking who work at one of those language Schools in central, One seemed to be German and the other African talking about the pay and conditions. Now I could barely understand their accents so I hate to think how the kids can learn from them, and the parents are paying a lot of money. Such a pity even private places continue to employ these kind of staff who can barely make themselves understood to each other, sad.

Wow...another post bashing English teachers in Thailand. Perhaps you can wait until classes are over and inform the parents of their ill made decisions ? Then you could really be performing a service to society.

Whether the students are getting value or learning a lot of English may well depend on what aspects they are aiming to improve. Non-native speakers are not likely to be the best role models for perfecting pronunciation. On the other hand they have probably learned English rather than just picking it up. That means they are likely to have a better understanding of what the students are going through and the difficulties they will experience. Second language learners are also able to explain grammar and some of the oddities of English better than native speakers who have never had a reason to give a thought to those issues. Especially at lower levels I don't think it is fair to write off someone with a foreign accent if they are excellent teachers with in depth knowledge.

I thought it was farang not falung?

Native Thai speakers commonly use the 'L' sound instead of 'R' in speech. They also use the 'N' sound instead of 'L'. Which is why farang may sound like falang or falung and why they look at you funny when you ask for directions to Central Mall (They pronounce it Centlan)

Native Thai speakers commonly use the 'L' sound instead of 'R' in speech. They also use the 'N' sound instead of 'L'. Which is why farang may sound like falang or falung and why they look at you funny when you ask for directions to Central Mall (They pronounce it Centlan)
Ok, thank you. Strange, the Thai's I talk with say 'foreigner'.

I asked my first post because the OP is critical of foreign dialect but chooses to use words phoneticly spoken by native Thai speakers.

Edited by HLover

Yep 'L's only turn into 'N's when they are at the end of a word. This usually only sounds strange on losnwords, since no actual Thai words end with an L sound, despite being spelt with an 'L' sound letter at the end (Which is why you sometimes see Ubon written as Ubol).

And 'R's into 'L's, or being skipped altogether, are very common mistakes Thai speakers make because they are either lazy or it's a result of Thai being their second language (E.g. The Isaan dialect is a blend of Thai and Laotian. Laotian doesn't have an 'R' sound. Often the Laotian/Isaan words are similar to the Thai words, but replace 'R's with 'H' e.g. Hon instead of Ron (Hot), Hao instead of Rao (We)).

Re: the actual topic. Accents are part of learning English, but very strong accents can make it very difficult for new learners if they aren't used to them already. A very very good teacher, for whom English is their 2nd language, would be better than a a NES without any experience though.

E.g. I can explain some grammar rules or the tone rules to foreigners better what an average Thai person could (Although my Thai wouldn't be good enough to teach more than the basics as I'm only at an intermediate level myself).

Often language schools don't pay well though (Most that I've seen/heard of only pay ฿250-฿350 per hour, even in Bangkok!!). As a result they don't always necessarily get the best teachers (although as they're in large cities, they probably have applicants queuing out the doors when they do advertise positions).

Indeed I am. And you are what ? A complainer, a whiner ? Just someone who is bored enough to rehash the same topic that has been posted here thousands of times already ?

I think it's a problem that needs to be repeated, over 47,000 Thais teaching English with just 6 fluent, and then these foreign jokers teaching English who can barely speak it either. Then people wonder why kids spend years learning it and can't string a sentence together. The only losers are the kids having their time wasted by idiot teachers, they do need 'bashing'

Indeed I am. And you are what ? A complainer, a whiner ? Just someone who is bored enough to rehash the same topic that has been posted here thousands of times already ?

I think it's a problem that needs to be repeated, over 47,000 Thais teaching English with just 6 fluent, and then these foreign jokers teaching English who can barely speak it either. Then people wonder why kids spend years learning it and can't string a sentence together. The only losers are the kids having their time wasted by idiot teachers, they do need 'bashing'

The reason Thai students don't gain English proficiency has little to do with the teacher's accents. It is a problem of culture and a failed educational system that rewards compliance and not initiative. There is no homework, there is no failing, and there are no real repercussions about skipping classes in many government schools.

You know very little about the problems in Thai schools related to English, its not the teachers it's the system.

I work with a Canadian who has her master's degree in TEFL, and three other foreigners who earned their Ph.D.'s (linguistics and English Literature) in the U.K. and U.S. My good friend is teaching in a primary school in Bangkok with 30 years of teaching experience in Pennsylvania and a teacher's certificate from that state. I have a master's degree myself. ​ We all teach English or English-related subjects. Several of my students have gone on to win national championships in English-speaking contests, and a half-dozen of my former students are now working on their Ph.D.'s in the U.S., U.K. and Australia.

We did not come here for sex, bar-girls, cheap drugs or Full Moon parties. We came here because we love education, we love our students, and we are comfortable in the culture.

In addition, I have a much longer list of well-qualified friends and acquaintances who teach English, or other disciplines in the English language, here in Thailand--most or all who came with the same motives as myself.

Give me your profession, and I wager I could come up with some dirt as well. There are flakes in every field, and sure, I've met some as well here in LOS. However, the vast majority of foreigners I've met here in the education field are dedicated, sincere individuals who are trying to make a difference.

You paint with a very broad brush, my friend. However, I contend that my brush is broader.

The reason Thai students don't gain English proficiency has little to do with the teacher's accents. It is a problem of culture and a failed educational system that rewards compliance and not initiative. There is no homework, there is no failing, and there are no real repercussions about skipping classes in many government schools.

You know very little about the problems in Thai schools related to English, its not the teachers it's the system.

So many myths about the Thai education system failures and many excuses. Of course kids get homework, even 7 year olds and kids DO get failed. My knowledge comes from several family members being teachers and heads and kids showing us their homework, as well as one relative who got failed in his final year, all govnt Schools up country and Bangkok. Incompetent foreign teachers don't help but on here people defend them!

Are you one of those extra falang actors on the Thai dramas? If not, you should be. Is that why you pay so much interest to other people's affairs and discussions which is absolutely none of your business? We should watch out for people like you, shouldn't we?

I assume that you are already aware that this is a professional international forum and not a Thai gossip forum.

If you claim to be such a professional teacher and such a well-groomed individual, then I feel truly sorry for your students. I can't imagine what the world would be like if half of the teachers were so judgmental.

For your information, German has become one of the languages which are compulsory for Thai students to learn at all government schools and private institutions these days.

I can't see why a German would be teaching English anyway. It just doesn't make sense. Can I assume that you were under the assumption that the one victim of your eavesdropping mission was African due to his skin color?

If I am wrong and you do in fact base your comments and purely random eavesdropping experiences on facts, then I still want to call you and A***h*** for eavesdropping on other people.

You defamed 2 nationals of which you know nothing about. Some people in this world need to learn some respect for their fellow humans and they also need to learn how to keep their noses out of other peoples' business.

You never know, they might even be members of TV and stumble upon your comment by accident one day.

Stop eavesdropping. It's one of the worst human traits since the creation of man.

haha chill out dude.

He didn't defame anyone or even make any derogatory comments towards a nationality. He only said that their accents were very difficult to understand and he couldn't understand why people with such thick accents were hired.

Seems a bit trivial but there's nothing insulting etc about it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For your information, German has become one of the languages which are compulsory for Thai students to learn at all government schools and private institutions these days.

Sounds BS to me but i am willing to stand corrected if someone can confirm this claim.

Americans have an accent? I thought that was The Holy Grail for every Thai who's a native speaker wannabe.

Pockets of the US can have strong accents, much like UK it largely distinguishes the uneducated and working class, Boston is somewhat an exception.

Mass (Boston)

New York (near NYC)

New Jersey

MidAtlantic (esp Baltimore)

The South in entirety

Texas

Often persons from educated families who have a university education suppress the accent.

Whether the students are getting value or learning a lot of English may well depend on what aspects they are aiming to improve. Non-native speakers are not likely to be the best role models for perfecting pronunciation. On the other hand they have probably learned English rather than just picking it up. That means they are likely to have a better understanding of what the students are going through and the difficulties they will experience. Second language learners are also able to explain grammar and some of the oddities of English better than native speakers who have never had a reason to give a thought to those issues. Especially at lower levels I don't think it is fair to write off someone with a foreign accent if they are excellent teachers with in depth knowledge.

You seem to be missing the point of Native English Speakers being hired and wanted. What you describe could easily be taught by Thai teachers. NES's think, dream, rationalize, and even create in English. The other point I'd make is they, either the NES or the "learned" would have to actually care about the students to grasp and act on difficulties you outline. Many simply don't care as you would know if you'd been outside the elite circle of teachers and "HiSo"s of Thailand. Thanks for your thoughts, but they aren't applicable in real Thai situations i.e. Government schools.

Maybe the German teaches German and the South African teaches Afrikaans... If that be the case, then their level of English is completely irrelevant.

Just sayin'

Edited by djayz

Americans have an accent? I thought that was The Holy Grail for every Thai who's a native speaker wannabe.

Pockets of the US can have strong accents, much like UK it largely distinguishes the uneducated and working class, Boston is somewhat an exception.

Mass (Boston)

New York (near NYC)

New Jersey

MidAtlantic (esp Baltimore)

The South in entirety

Texas

Often persons from educated families who have a university education suppress the accent.

You are an English teacher with that atrocious spelling ? Corrections below:

Boston = Baastan

New York = New Yawk

New Jersey = Joisey

MidAtlantic = Well who really cares anyway ?

The South / Texas = Sur / Tejas

Sorry but these kids need to learn it correctly.