‘You Wanna Fight?’ Bangkok Moto Taxis Confront GrabBike

webfact

‘You Wanna Fight?’ Bangkok Moto Taxis Confront GrabBike
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14628792311462879252l.jpg
Two motorcycle taxi drivers who showed up in the video clip which went viral since Monday night

BANGKOK — The moto taxi wars took an ugly turn Monday when two motorbike taxi operators confronted a man working for an on-demand service who’d arrived to pick up a student.

In a video clip shared Monday by Facebook user Aof Theinhiran, one of the motorcycle taxi men snatches away the key belonging to a driver for the rival GrabBike service, who had arrived to give a ride to a student near Chulalongkorn University.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1462879231&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-05-11

...am behind the moto taxi dudes on this one. They provide a valuable service. Too much invested to be undercut by a

snazzy web app designed to marginalize their livelihood.

Am all for Uber, etc. to go tits up and perish. Their idea works---until it doesn't--usually involving an accident and the finger pointing begins in earnest. How about an app for Tai legal system and justice?

Student harassed by moto-taxi drivers for calling GrabBike
By Coconuts Bangkok

moto_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Chulalongkorn University student was reportedly harassed by motorcycle taxi drivers in front of his dorm in Chula soi 9 when a GrabBike driver came to pick him up.

In a video posted yesterday, Facebook user Aof Theinhiran said the win dudes took the key from his GrabBike’s driver and demanded that he use their service.

“He [GrabBike driver] can’t do that. There’s a motorcycle station here. He came in and competed with our prices. It’s not right,” a driver said.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/05/10/student-harassed-moto-taxi-drivers-calling-grabbike-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-05-11

...am behind the moto taxi dudes on this one. They provide a valuable service. Too much invested to be undercut by a

Am all for Uber, etc. to go tits up and perish. Their idea works---until it doesn't--usually involving an accident and the finger pointing begins in earnest. How about an app for Tai legal system and justice?

Maybe we would all be behind them (taxi cabs) if they would just switch the meter on as required by law----instead of a 30 minute argument about the cost....then sometimes having to leave their Taxi

And with the motor bikes........

“He [GrabBike driver] can’t do that. There’s a motorcycle station here. He came in and competed with (was cheaper then ) our prices. It’s not right,” a driver said."

What your all behind burgdawg is one of the most avarice groups that deal the tourist here.....no wonder it tarnishes their Thailand experience ...................coffee1.gif

When faced with fair competition, just respond with thuggery. Seems to win out every time in LOS. I imagine this may not end well, as the cops like to get their cut for letting the moto goons "occupy" certain areas.

He came in and competed with our prices. It’s not right,” a driver said.

The story of Thailand in a nutshell.

Competition? "We don't need no stinkin competition". Indeed this sums up local business practices in a lot of sectors where someone has paid a fee to be in an "association" so they think that gives them the right to be protective of "their turf".

And behind every little station of motorcycle taxis is either a copper, a soldier or some other homegrown mafia who protects and collects, so no, I am personally not with them. It's called progress but it's frowned upon in this fiefdom of corruption where slices of the pie are preferred to be large and few.

Not always what it seems. The dudes in my soi drive like <deleted>. My wife never wants to get behind one of them because she does not feel safe. I have to ride her to the bus station and pick her up otherwise she chooses to walk... which is also not safe since there are no (usable) sidewalks. So grab bike is a EXCELLENT solution.

And behind every little station of motorcycle taxis is either a copper, a soldier or some other homegrown mafia who protects and collects, so no, I am personally not with them. It's called progress but it's frowned upon in this fiefdom of corruption where slices of the pie are preferred to be large and few.

The MB Taxi drivers have only themselves to blame, if they would stick to the pricing plan provided to them instead of trying to rip people off.

Interestingly just the other day my usual local guys were out on a job so I flagged one down, the fare for a 1km trip is 25baht I always just give them 40 baht but this particular guy demanded 50 baht, I carry a photo of the tarrif sheet in my phone and while he was arguing I showed it to him, didn't make a difference, I was already giving him a 15baht tip, they are just greedy (deleted)'s and only have themselves to blame. Some might argue over the extra 10 baht being nothing to argue about but there is a principle here and I had already tipped him

Competition? "We don't need no stinkin competition". Indeed this sums up local business practices in a lot of sectors where someone has paid a fee to be in an "association" so they think that gives them the right to be protective of "their turf".

Well, I I have used GrabTaxi and GrabBike on occasion myself and like the service but there are major problems with the legality of it.

The regular taxis and motorcycle taxis are expected to pay for licenses (and bribes) and follow certain regulations while I understand that the GrabBike are not paying anything which indeed creates an unfair competition.

I saw few months ago that GrabBike was outlawed in Bangkok until this is brought under some regulation however as usual there is lack of any enforcement from the authorities. Small wonder that motorcycle taxis take the enforcement in their own hands on occasion.

Isn't that kind of definition of mafia?

I'm glad that you made this point, sweatalot. I'm tired of pointing out to Thai bashers that if, for a minute or two, they could keep in check their obsessive and beloved hatred against the country they live in, they might get to see the bigger picture, once in a while.

In this case, you're absolutely right, it is the definition not only of mafia, but actually of capitalism without restrictions. That, thanks to a long period of Western supremacy, is what most of the world is aiming at right now.

All companies, especially mammoth corporations, fight to keep their turf in ways that defy morals and reason, and the governments that are supposed to control them are actually their servants. The bigger the company, the shadier the means. Do they play by the book ? Do they abide by the rules ? Anyone who believes that they do is naive.

The difference between their policies and the mafia behavior of motorbike taxis in Bangkok ? Scale, that's all the difference there is.

Edited by Yann55

It is called competition. The freedom for the individual to chose between different companies offering the same service maybe you have heard of it

Nonsense.

There should always be a free market. If the old guys can't keep up, that's life. That's how it works in every industry. Adapt or die.

Nonsense.

There should always be a free market. If the old guys can't keep up, that's life. That's how it works in every industry. Adapt or die.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, however in Thailand I think an attempt to disrupt the status quo in terms of motorbike transport is likely to put both GrabBike drivers and passengers at serious risk of assault or worse.

We'll see how this pans out - GrabBike are putting huge money into marketing and gaining market share now.

The way of solving it is likely going to be GrabBike making deals with the existing motorbike crews. Profit share for an area or similar.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Isn't that kind of definition of mafia?

I'm glad that you made this point, sweatalot. I'm tired of pointing out to Thai bashers that if, for a minute or two, they could keep in check their obsessive and beloved hatred against the country they live in, they might get to see the bigger picture, once in a while.

In this case, you're absolutely right, it is the definition not only of mafia, but actually of capitalism without restrictions. That, thanks to a long period of Western supremacy, is what most of the world is aiming at right now.

All companies, especially mammoth corporations, fight to keep their turf in ways that defy morals and reason, and the governments that are supposed to control them are actually their servants. The bigger the company, the shadier the means. Do they play by the book ? Do they abide by the rules ? Anyone who believes that they do is naive.

The difference between their policies and the mafia behavior of motorbike taxis in Bangkok ? Scale, that's all the difference there is.

And it is not thai bashing to point out that it is wrong to act in the manner you describe.

uber and uber like facilities are excellent value and provide a superior service. why would you want them to go out of business? their business model seems to work very well. a friend of mine drives for uber in australia and said his customers refuse to use normal taxis as uber is so much better. this is why uber is growing at such a fast rate.

“He [GrabBike driver] can’t do that. There’s a motorcycle station here. He came in and competed with our prices. It’s not right,” a driver said.

555 I've never ever seen a posted price at one of these bike styes. They are just another form of rip off artist as far as a farang is concerned.

Considering Grabbike is illegal, has been for some time but this is not enforced I can certainly understand the Motorbike taxis position.

However police should sort that out.

Considering that the motorbike taxi driver hasn't got a yellow licence plate (hell, he hasn't got one at all) your point about legality is moot.

I think the motorcycle taxi guys have to pay a fair amount for the jacket, it's something they can sell on later in life; an investment. Feel for them if it's been made worthless by unregulated competition. These guys are poor, I've never had a problem with them in BKK. I remember when the Amsterdam authorities opened up the taxis to outside competition, the licenses that those drivers had taken out massive loans, remortgaged their houses for, became worthless.