Affluent And Ignorant

One does not "purchase" a residency permit. One first qualifies, then applies for one. If approved, one pays the fee. And yes, quite a few of us here have gone through the process successfully.

This is a topic that has been discussed over and over again here. As TH suggests, do a search on "resident" or "residency" and all your questions will be answered...

my 2 cents..

dissapointed with limited threads. i conclude there is no conclusive definition. once again 'ambiguity' is the key word. people are advising to wait and see scenario. one fellow thavisa member quoted in a thread it would probably be better for a lawayer to finalise an application for residency. this might suggest the whole thing is fraught with pit falls. although my first thoughts were the whole process would total some million baht, but that doesn't seem to be the case. another strange scenario was learning that an interview would be videotaped. that is interesting!

and you say the residency permit issue has been over cooked. strange you should say that. my thoughts are i would prefer to see cessation of the ambiguity surrounding 'expulsion of expats if married with thai wife' with less than the key amount needed! that one has certainly been kicked about don't you think?

I.T. manager i would like to quote thread,

I am sure to be beaten for this, but IMHO I would leave your gf where she is, as she is, and visit her regularly.

don'y marry her, don't support her, don't replace old dead buffalo for her mum. At 194,000 baht you could sleep with her every night for over a year, and have change.

my cynicism disappoints me, but there you have it. The residency permit/visa is a waste of energy, adn the dependant deal she will have from you will mean you lose everything if you change your mind later, as most ppl seem to do.

that was refreshing. so can anyone advise of a website for a newbie wanting a definitive answer or should i think myself blessed for the earlier responses?

I guess so.

Thaimee.

Positive. Over and over again.

I don't see anything ambiguous about the application procedure, nor is it fraught with pitfalls. I did it completely by myself, with no help from a lawyer, and no expense other than the application fee. Don't see what the big deal is, if you qualify.

Positive. Over and over again.

I don't see anything ambiguous about the application procedure, nor is it fraught with pitfalls. I did it completely by myself, with no help from a lawyer, and no expense other than the application fee. Don't see what the big deal is, if you qualify.

Congrats and this is the spirit. One guy in immigration told me once, "You don't come with lawyer, you are ok, come with lawyer, you hide something."

I go to imm myself, (ok with help of a staff member, her Thai is by faaaar better than mine) ande I am always surprised, what can be achieved.

The age old saying, a Thai (and an Asian for that) cannot say no to your face.

As said "if you qualify."

Has anyone (foreigner) purchased a residency permit? What are the limitations or hurdles I must over come before i'm viable to apply or own such a permit? any help appreciated.

Thaimee.

Have you been living in Thailand at least 3 consecutive years on a non-immigrant visa ?

Has anyone (foreigner) purchased a residency permit? What are the limitations or hurdles I must over come before i'm viable to apply or own such a permit? any help appreciated.

Thaimee.

Have you been living in Thailand at least 3 consecutive years on a non-immigrant visa ?

Doc, can you define '"living in Thailand" for three consecutive years on a non imm visa?'

A little better?

For example, a person with a non imm O perhaps works overseas on say a 6 and 2 rotation, this person is registered in the tabien barn with the spouse. This person continues like this for 3 years. Is this person "living in Thailand?" but working overseas?

Does this person qualify?

IYHO?

For example, a person with a non imm O perhaps works overseas on say a 6 and 2 rotation, this person is registered in the tabien barn with the spouse. This person continues like this for 3 years. Is this person living in Thailand? but working overseas?

IYHO?

I believe the requirement is that it is a single Non-Imm visa that has been extended 3 times. Has the person got the extensions or just been getting new [multi entry] Non-Imm O's outside Thailand each time visa expired?

TH

For example, a person with a non imm O perhaps works overseas on say a 6 and 2 rotation, this person is registered in the tabien barn with the spouse. This person continues like this for 3 years. Is this person living in Thailand? but working overseas?

IYHO?

I believe the requirement is that it is a single Non-Imm visa that has been extended 3 times. Has the person got the extensions or just been getting new [multi entry] Non-Imm O's outside Thailand each time visa expired?

TH

No, the person in question has just been entering on a 30 day tourist visa each time for the last few years. I am sure the person was just testing the water.

Perhaps this person was trying to work out if he/she should start the process now even though the person was not going to "living" in LoS full time because of work committments.

I will let him/her know that perhaps it would not hurt to start now...

I am sure this person would be greatful for your replies if he/she were to read them.

:o

Thaimee.

Doc, can you define '"living in Thailand" for three consecutive years on a non imm visa?'

A little better?

For example, a person with a non imm O perhaps works overseas on say a 6 and 2 rotation, this person is registered in the tabien barn with the spouse. This person continues like this for 3 years. Is this person "living in Thailand?" but working overseas?

IYHO?

Actually - I'd be rather interested in the answer to this...

I'm on my 4th one-year non-imm Visa (type O). I live in Thailand with my wife and kids, but actually work in London. First year, I was doing two weeks here, two weeks there, and, although I'm no longer on that ridiculous a schedule, I still haven't spent 90 consecutive days in Thailand.

Would I qualify for residency? (non-quota?)

Also, given I travel back and forth so much, is a residency permit actually worth the hassle. (I've never had an issue getting a new one-year visa from the Embassy in London), and I'm a lot more certain of the tax situation for being here on a non-resident visa.

IYHO?

TH

That is it. 3 one year unbroken extensions is the requirement