How to get motorbike driving license in Thailand ?

Hello,

I don't have any motorbike driving license from any country and would like to pass it in Bangkok or somewhere else if it's easier.

Any idea on how to do this ? Are there english tests or can someone fill the tests for me ? I heard it will take at least 2 days to get it done.

Thanks.

I heard it will take at least 2 days to get it done.

True for me in 2015.

First day:

Physical tests (color blindness, reaction).

Endless tutoring in Thai and watching videos.

Many participants fiddling on smartphone, some fell asleep.

Second day:

Morning:

Computerized theory test in English, 45 out of 50 q. must be correct.

50 q. are from a total of only 90 questions (1000 or so for Thais).

Swotting required. Often no logic behind the questions.

Terrible graphics, schematics, some q. simply wrong (no factual correct answer).

Afternoon:

Practice test on the yard. Quite a joke.

When I find it I will link to other posts on this topic.

I drove with my own bike to the DLT (without license of course blink.png ).

The biggest challenge, some foreigner reported fail tongue.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/860158-attaining-motorbike-license/#entry9935001

Go through the whole thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/860158-attaining-motorbike-license/

5 videos about the "practical test":

(I suppressed embedding, so click on the links)

After the two days you finally know why and what is happening on the roads of this country gigglem.gif

Thanks, anyone wants to get it next week ? Maybe we can go together wink.png

Don't be too optimistic.

Should I have noted that at our DLT I had to wait three weeks for the appointment.

Others seem to have a "open the gate, quickest runner wins" policy.

Each office to its own biggrin.png

No not here.

At my upcountry DLT they would have had to make a "farang day" for me alone tongue.png

And of course all the tutoring and video all in Thai language only.

Just some chit-chat with me "where you are from" etc.

In Chonburi turned up with International Driving Licence (car only), only did traffic light and braking test. 60 minutes later walked out with Thai car AND motorbike licenses. No problem.

In Chonburi turned up with International Driving Licence (car only), only did traffic light and braking test. 60 minutes later walked out with Thai car AND motorbike licenses. No problem.

If by Chonburi you mean the one next to Regents at Pattaya then you were very lucky. How recently was this?

I also did this but it was 6 years ago and it took a hell of a lot longer than 60 minutes. Many recent reports in the driving licence thread of foreigners having to go through the whole process now but yes I still think you have a better chance if you have an IDP.

They test for colour blindness??

This is not even necessary for a pilot's licence these days.

I am very colour blind and I have car and bike licence here.

Have been driving for over 45 years in many countries and never experienced a problem.

The OP doesn't have a bike licence anywhere so I would assume he does not have an international 'permit' for a bike so a very different scenario from yours.

Pleased that your visit in Chonburi went so well. You may have been fortunate.

555 and enjoy the life being sucked out of you. As for computer test its simple and as one poster posted before, do the online test of 90 questions a few times until you can remember 90/90 (on my test 47 of the 50 were in this sample online test, the 3 missing were easy and logical to answer ...took me 8 minutes of the allowed 60 minutes to get 49/50). The practical is a joke and all of 2 minutes super super easy. Colour test 2 minutes easy too.

I think depending which DLT you go to varies on structure ...mine 1 day from 8am till 6pm then pick up license the day after. So 12 minutes of important stuff, 10 hours waiting for something to happen and some anubaan videos and a lecture in Thai till it bores the excrement out of you. Me, soooo glad its over ....you good luck !

you need a medical certificate also

Easily obtained at any doctor for pennies. No medical test as such in my experience. Probably won't even ask you more than your name spelling.

Have been driving for over 45 years in many countries and never experienced a problem.

I seem to recall that the 'colour-blindness' test is in fact a reaction time test. You must use a simulated brake pedal within a certain time after a change of colour on the screen.

Been many years and I am often wrong.

I seem to recall that the 'colour-blindness' test is in fact a reaction time test. You must use a simulated brake pedal within a certain time after a change of colour on the screen.

Been many years and I am often wrong.

The colour blindness test involves a light which will illuminate in either red, amber or green and you tell them the colour that appears. Say 'yellow', not 'amber'.

The 'reaction time test' is a separate test.

It was Chonburi as in Chonburi City, DVLA is along Sukhumvit Road just past Military Circle 14. Picked up license last year. Staff did all paperwork and guided through process, all very local not set up for farang.

The color blindness tests are absolutely mandatory standard procedure even for renewing a Thai DL.

The first test is just a chart with a lot of different size and color dots.

Examiner points to a few, you tell the color.

color-blind.jpg

The other one is referred to as "peripheral color vision test" as described in post #19.

The color change takes place at the peripheral of your vision angle.

???? blink.png

This IS the reaction test!

But NOT the color test, as the lights red/green are always positioned as usual.

1402518998-2009112835-o.jpg

I recommend you take a course with Like English Driving School. The test is on computer in English, but very tricky with more questions and much harder now. Also, you need to learn all the road signs. Even the driving test is as challenging as you must maneuver around cones and then go up on a raised, 4 inch wide concrete strip a good distance and maintain your balance. Many have balance problems and fail. When I took the written exam and driving test there were 200 applicants and only 20 of us passed both the written and driving test that day about 5 months ago. I passed the bike written test the first time which is separate from the driving test, but failedd the bike driving test twice. I'm 69 and it appears my balance is not good. I had many motorcycles in my life without any accidents, but riding down a narrow, raised 4 inch wide concrete stripe was very difficult even after practicing with a friend's bike. Good luck...

You can do everything at the Honda riding schools, one on Ramkampheng and one at Samrong.

Takes 2 days, day 1 is lectures (in Thai) but you will get the gist and you can ask questions after, and then the e-test (the multiple choice test)

Day 2 is e-test again (I think the first day is a practice), then practice for 2 or 3 hours on the bikes, and then the test or riding along the raised platform. Finish up with all the eye and reaction tests (take 15 min).

Once completed you get a certificate, you take this to DLT with proof of address, copies of visa/passport and medical - 20 to 30 min later, walk out with your licence.

Go to the Honda schools and book a date, costs 1000 Baht, but you get nice facilities and new bike to practice on.

The first test is just a chart with a lot of different size and color dots.

Examiner points to a few, you tell the color.

color-blind.jpg

Damn, though it was that stupid ishihara test for a second, i fail them bad

Really ? Failing the concrete strip ?

So basically, the previous posters are proven - not to have the ability to ride in a straight line.

I can understand, it's just a mental obstacle that it's 2 inches off the ground, therefore difficult.

I "failed" my, you had to count to ten before turning. I looked both ways and then proceeded - why the need for 10 seconds, I was the only person on the track, there was zero chance of any oncoming traffic.

so far done practical test 10 times, darn concrete strip. slalom no problem, just that darn strip.

does not cost any money and as long as they allow me to come back, i will keep trying.

Anybody ever talked you through slow riding control?

Simply put its keep the power on and use the back brake to control your flow.

Easy on a auto. Bike with a clutch requires 'feathering' the clutch on the biting point and keeping the revs up. But still controlling your speed with the back brake.

If you want to know more then I wrote this a while ago, it's on linkedin so if you have a problem accessing it just say and I will find a different link

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/basic-art-motorcycle-slow-riding-control-carol-jadzia

Archived