Thaksin Linked To Wife's Suspect Land Deal Under Investigation

sriracha john

luckily for the current PM he as able to present quite conclusive aerial photographs.

The photos were in regard to the accusation that some rail cars were on the property that may have been acquired in a dubious transaction. It had nothing to do with the land purchase other than showing there was a huge house built on land that was set aside for poor farmers in the national forest reserve. The now PM was never poor or a farmer from what I have read.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i recall the invitation to bid for the site back in 2003. when pojaman won the bid, no one really thought that she cheated. in fact, many potential bidders (myself included) thought she was nuts for offering such a high price. she paid over 23 million per rai for what is essentially low density zoned land. if there was anything unfair about the deal, it was that someone with too much money could make a purchase based on a non-commercially supportable price. but hey, highest bidder wins, it was nothing like how the media is painting it right now. i agree that she is being framed.

even the suggestion that the land is valued at 2 billion is misleading. 2 billion might have been the artificially inflated price during the 97 crisis era because many land owners inflated valuations to monetise the assets via bank loans that they couldn't pay back. that is why so many NPLs occured, and why so many assets were slashed in the post crisis era.

the BOT got a good price for the land IMO, pojaman wasn't looking to do anything commercial with the site, she wanted to build their new bangkok residence there. the feng shui was meant to be good, that's why she was willing to pay more. in the end, an asset's value is best represented by what people are willing to pay real money for, nothing more nothing less. even pridiyathorn, the then BOT chief, and its fair to say that he is not Thaksin's friend, came out to say that the bid was performed outside of the purview of the PM. strangely, his declaration was made in a closed court, where the defendents were strangely not allowed to sit in to collect evidence. there is definitely little due process in this investigation.

They certainly wanted the land, Thaksin using his own PM identification as proof of identity, obviously to scare off any potential rivals who wouldn't want to bid against the all powerful PM, but of course condemning himself as involved as a state official in a contract with a state agency.

If they wanted the land for residential purposes why did they promptly rezone to allow high rise buildings to be built on the land?

If I remember correctly Thaksin ordered officials to work on Dec31 that year, a public holiday, to avoid paying the increase in land transaction fees which came into force the next day on Jan 1.

i recall the invitation to bid for the site back in 2003. when pojaman won the bid, no one really thought that she cheated. in fact, many potential bidders (myself included) thought she was nuts for offering such a high price. she paid over 23 million per rai for what is essentially low density zoned land. if there was anything unfair about the deal, it was that someone with too much money could make a purchase based on a non-commercially supportable price. but hey, highest bidder wins, it was nothing like how the media is painting it right now. i agree that she is being framed.

even the suggestion that the land is valued at 2 billion is misleading. 2 billion might have been the artificially inflated price during the 97 crisis era because many land owners inflated valuations to monetise the assets via bank loans that they couldn't pay back. that is why so many NPLs occured, and why so many assets were slashed in the post crisis era.

the BOT got a good price for the land IMO, pojaman wasn't looking to do anything commercial with the site, she wanted to build their new bangkok residence there. the feng shui was meant to be good, that's why she was willing to pay more. in the end, an asset's value is best represented by what people are willing to pay real money for, nothing more nothing less. even pridiyathorn, the then BOT chief, and its fair to say that he is not Thaksin's friend, came out to say that the bid was performed outside of the purview of the PM. strangely, his declaration was made in a closed court, where the defendents were strangely not allowed to sit in to collect evidence. there is definitely little due process in this investigation.

They certainly wanted the land, Thaksin using his own PM identification as proof of identity, obviously to scare off any potential rivals who wouldn't want to bid against the all powerful PM, but of course condemning himself as involved as a state official in a contract with a state agency.

If they wanted the land for residential purposes why did they promptly rezone to allow high rise buildings to be built on the land?

If I remember correctly Thaksin ordered officials to work on Dec31 that year, a public holiday, to avoid paying the increase in land transaction fees which came into force the next day on Jan 1.

i'm not sure what you are saying Siripon. are you saying thaksin ordered the site rezoned? under which ordinance? are you aware that zoning responsibilities fall under the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, which is under the purview of the Governor (who happens to be a Democrat)? To my understanding, the area is zoned orange under the latest Bangkok City Plan which came into effect in June 2006, and it has an FAR of 4.5 at most.

if you have been following the Bangkok City Plan, you would know that there are many bureaucrats and academics involved and it went through more than 2 years of public referendum before finally being passed. thaksin may have been the PM, but he is not regarded as a major land owner in Bkk. there are many old influential families with large tracks of Bkk land who are in a much better position to influence the master plan. it would have been extremely difficult for Thaksin to do anything, especially with Apirak as the Governor.

even at today's prices, i find it extremely hard to justify any valuation above 80,000 per square wah, pojaman paid over 60,000 per square wah for the site in 2003. for people in the industry, that was a very high pricing at the time given the size and location. any valuation cannot be divorced from its underlying market fundamentals. there is a 24 rai site just across the road from pojaman's site which came up for sale in mid 2006. the site has completed piling (i.e. added value to the land) and the owner was asking for over 100,000 per square wah. its been over 1 year and there are still no takers (CBRE can verify this). if this is the case, how could pojaman's site be "valued" at 2 billion baht way back in 2003?

Edited by thedude

Nine chief judges appointed to try Thaksin, wife

Nine chief judges will preside over the trial of oust premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman fighting alleged corruption stemmed from the Ratchadapisek land deal in 2003.

The Supreme Court Friday named the nine judges for its Criminal Tribunal for Political Office Holders, a special court for corruption cases.

After a secret ballot cast by the full bench of 84 judges, the special court has been activated to rule on Thaksin's fate and his wife's by due process.

The special court is expected to convene its first session on July 10 to examine the prosecution writ and evidence.

The arraignment hearing is slated for some time in early August when Thaksin and Pojaman are obliged to be present in person.

The nine judges are

- Somsak Netmai, chief judge for commercial and economic litigation;

- Suwat Wanthanahathai, chief judge for intellectual property and international trade litigation;

- Surachart Boonsiriphan, chief judge for environmental litigation;

- Wasan Soipisut, chief judge for juvenile and family litigation;

- Praphan Sapsaeng, chief judge for Criminal Tribunal;

- Somchai Pongsatha, chief judge for bankruptcy litigation;

- Phichit Khamfaeng, chief judge for labour litigation; and

- Thirawat Phatranawat, chief judge for tax litigation.

The defence will have five days to dispute the credentials of the nine judges if it has cause to suspect conflict of interest or prejudice.

Should the two defendants fail to report for arraignment, they will become fugitives with 10 years of statutory limitation.

- The Nation

Nine judges appointed to rule on indictment against Thaksin, wife

BANGKOK - A special panel of nine judges were appointed Friday to study Thursday's indictment on corruption and malfeasance charges against ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman over the Bt772 million land purchase in a prime business area in the capital, a court spokesman said.

The spokesman said the appointment of the nine judges was conducted by secret ballot with 84 supreme court judges attending.

A decision whether to try the couple is expected to be made on July 10, the spokesman said, adding that the court would begin within one month if it agrees to proceed.

Government prosecutors filed corruption charges against them in the Supreme Court Thursday, the first formal legal action taken against the former premier since the coup.

The move came three days after the Office of the Attorney General determined to proceed with the case, presenting it to the Supreme Court with wrongdoing charges involving a Bt772 million land purchase against them, following a finding by a 10-member working committee that Mr. Thaksin and his wife were guilty as alleged in charges earlier lodged by the Assets Examination Committee (AEC).

The Office of the Attorney General's working group ruled that the Bangkok land on Ratchadapisek Road, which changed hands from the Financial Institutions Development Fund to Mr. Thaksin's wife, could have raised as much as Bt2.1 billion in terms of then current property market levels, but eventually sold for only Bt772 million, only one-third of the market value when the purchase was made.

In addition, the Office of the Attorney General suggested the 33 rai (five-hectare or 13-acre) parcel of controversial land be confiscated at the order of the Supreme Court.

If convicted, they face imprisonment of up to three years and a fine of up to Bt60,000, plus a maximum of 10 years in jail and a maximum Bt20,000 fine for malfeasance under the Criminal Procedures Code.

- MCOT

i'm not sure what you are saying Siripon. are you saying thaksin ordered the site rezoned? under which ordinance? are you aware that zoning responsibilities fall under the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, which is under the purview of the Governor (who happens to be a Democrat)? To my understanding, the area is zoned orange under the latest Bangkok City Plan which came into effect in June 2006, and it has an FAR of 4.5 at most.

if you have been following the Bangkok City Plan, you would know that there are many bureaucrats and academics involved and it went through more than 2 years of public referendum before finally being passed. thaksin may have been the PM, but he is not regarded as a major land owner in Bkk. there are many old influential families with large tracks of Bkk land who are in a much better position to influence the master plan. it would have been extremely difficult for Thaksin to do anything, especially with Apirak as the Governor.

even at today's prices, i find it extremely hard to justify any valuation above 80,000 per square wah, pojaman paid over 60,000 per square wah for the site in 2003. for people in the industry, that was a very high pricing at the time given the size and location. any valuation cannot be divorced from its underlying market fundamentals. there is a 24 rai site just across the road from pojaman's site which came up for sale in mid 2006. the site has completed piling (i.e. added value to the land) and the owner was asking for over 100,000 per square wah. its been over 1 year and there are still no takers (CBRE can verify this). if this is the case, how could pojaman's site be "valued" at 2 billion baht way back in 2003?

At the time of the sale the Bangkok governor was Samak, a noted right winger and close supporter of Thaksin. In the 1970s as Interior Minister he banned several left wing books.

Apirak only became governor after the election at the end of August 2004.

Plenty of time for Samak to plan a bit of rezoning, after all, on his last day in office he signed the notorious contract for the Austrian\ Thai fire engines at such a high price.

At the time of the sale the Bangkok governor was Samak, a noted right winger and close supporter of Thaksin. In the 1970s as Interior Minister he banned several left wing books.

Plenty of time for Samak to plan a bit of rezoning, after all, on his last day in office he signed the notorious contract for the Austrian\ Thai fire engines at such a high price.

not only is what you are saying irrelevant but also misleading.

the point is that you are wrong, there was no special ordinance to rezone the land pojaman purchased, and the only bangkok master plan put in place during thaksin's time was in mid 2006, and it was by Apirak, some 2 years after he became governor and after he personally delayed the implementation of the master plan originally scheduled for 2004, because by all accounts, he wanted to open the proposed plan to further public scrutiny. its in the news, do some simple research, no need to try inventing a conspiracy when there was none, or because you simply deem it to be so.

think about it, thaksin was a billionairre even before he became PM. this land was worth a mere US$ 20 million to him, he makes more than that in interest and dividends in less than a year, without having to raise a finger. why would he want to overstep his boundaries to such a dangerous extent in order to get the governor from an opposing political party to endorse a rezoning of his personal land just so he can get a few million more in valuation? its nuts, no half-brained politician would do it, and thaksin was no half-brained politician. it so defies common logic that it could only be political assasination behind such accusation. i'm surprised so few seemingly savvy forumers can aparently see through this, being too blinded by all the hate for thaksin and sucked in by the propoganda.

i'm getting tired of all this invention of conspiracies to put thaksin down, its just a smear campaign aimed at confusing the public to the extent that people don't even know if they are just parroting the propoganda against him.

Edited by thedude

thedude .....

Thaksin was a BILLIONAIRE before he became PM? are you sure about that? Multi-millionaire yes .... But one can simply look at his net-worth as shown in the press over the years and see that his growth FAR outstipped the growth of ANY other earners during the time he was PM :o

not only is what you are saying irrelevant but also misleading.

the point is that you are wrong, there was no special ordinance to rezone the land pojaman purchased, and the only bangkok master plan put in place during thaksin's time was in mid 2006, and it was by Apirak, some 2 years after he became governor and after he personally delayed the implementation of the master plan originally scheduled for 2004, because by all accounts, he wanted to open the proposed plan to further public scrutiny. its in the news, do some simple research, no need to try inventing a conspiracy when there was none, or because you simply deem it to be so.

think about it, thaksin was a billionairre even before he became PM. this land was worth a mere US$ 20 million to him, he makes more than that in interest and dividends in less than a year, without having to raise a finger. why would he want to overstep his boundaries to such a dangerous extent in order to get the governor from an opposing political party to endorse a rezoning of his personal land just so he can get a few million more in valuation? its nuts, no half-brained politician would do it, and thaksin was no half-brained politician. it so defies common logic that it could only be political assasination behind such accusation. i'm surprised so few seemingly savvy forumers can aparently see through this, being too blinded by all the hate for thaksin and sucked in by the propoganda.

i'm getting tired of all this invention of conspiracies to put thaksin down, its just a smear campaign aimed at confusing the public to the extent that people don't even know if they are just parroting the propoganda against him.

Wait for the court case, the Dude regarding 'sudden rezoning', and it won't be long being a special court for corruption involving politicians.

As stated Samak, a henchman of Thaksin, was the governor at the time, Thaksin wasn't thinking of Apirak then, he wasn't even on the horizon at the time of purchase.

Ask any of your Thai colleagues what they think of Samak and his side- kick on TV, Dusit, and I gurantee they will turn their noses up in disgust.

I think you seriously misjudge Thaksin if you think Thaksin acts logically.

Dude, regarding Thaksin's mindset, think back to 2001.

He was accused by The Constitutional Court of having large sums of his assets in the names of his drivers, maids, gardeners, servants.

These facts are indisputable.

Now for what legal and legitimate reason would he do that ?

There's a Siam Commercial Bank branch in Bangkok that I know of that would frequently see Khun Pojaman deposit and withdraw large sums in her servants' names.

For what?

Stock manipulation springs to mind

Yet Thaksin brazenly told the court it was an honest mistake!

And he got away with it because of money.

After that, logic went out of the window, ' I can buy everyone and everything' became the motto.

But in the end he was proved to be wrong.

Dude, regarding Thaksin's mindset, think back to 2001.

He was accused by The Constitutional Court of having large sums of his assets in the names of his drivers, maids, gardeners, servants.

These facts are indisputable.

Now for what legal and legitimate reason would he do that ?

There's a Siam Commercial Bank branch in Bangkok that I know of that would frequently see Khun Pojaman deposit and withdraw large sums in her servants' names.

For what?

Stock manipulation springs to mind

Yet Thaksin brazenly told the court it was an honest mistake!

And he got away with it because of money.

After that, logic went out of the window, ' I can buy everyone and everything' became the motto.

But in the end he was proved to be wrong.

you can go on avoiding the issue and confusing matters by speculating on other unrelated issues.

let me again bring you back to the point. contrary to your assertion, the site in question was never rezoned to advantage thaksin or his wife. imagining that thaksin wanted to influence Samak is useless, just look at the Bangkok City Plan. you cannot indict someone based on some imagined intent that didn't even come true in the end.

it would be so easy wouldn't it if all you needed to do to get rid of someone you don't like is to make up unproven accusations and to keep repeating it.... :D you don't work for the junta now do you? :o

The fact that the site was rezoned immediately after purchase was mentioned several times in the newspapers quoting prosecution's case. It's not Siripon who invented it, and I believe people who put in there didn't invent it either.

Wait and see for the details once the case goes through the courts.

As I remember the Finance ministry used their own land valuation company and that's what they argued in their defence - they didn't lose any money. This point somehow doesn't appear in prosecution's case now, but again, let's wait and see for details.

The newspapers often mention a lot of irrelevent stuff when writing about the cases.

The price and rezoning are not central to the case against Taksin. He may be convicted, and rightfully so, even if the price and rezoning are all fine.

The newspapers often mention a lot of irrelevent stuff when writing about the cases.

The price and rezoning are not central to the case against Taksin. He may be convicted, and rightfully so, even if the price and rezoning are all fine.

Thanks for bringing this back on topic.

AEC allows Potjaman a week to present medical certification from Singapore

The Assets Examination Committee (AEC) allows Potjaman Shinawatra, wife of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin, seven days to present a medical document from the Raffle Hospital in Singapore after she was not able to clarify the Shin Corp share deals case before the AEC this morning.

Potjaman’s lawyer Somporn Phongsuwan has requested for the AEC to postpone the estimony to July 19th, 2007. According to the lawyer, his client is suffering from headache and abnormal heartbeats.

AEC Spokesman Sak Korsaengruang says the AEC has also ordered Potjaman’s proxy to present the authorization letter by her secretary, Ms. Kanchana Honghern.

Mr. Somphon affirms that Potjaman is currently unwell and is receiving a medical treatment in Singapore. He says she has no intention to delay the AEC’s investigation as her illness is unexpected and she is mentally unfit for the testimony.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 June 2007

The good Khunying certainly supplies us with some good material for a comedy routine assuming she is not actually ill that is, which if is really the case I am sure our feelings go out to her as hers went out to all those poor victims of her hubbies little er drug rehabilitattion campaign.

...and... here we are, a week later...

No medical certificate seen for Thaksin's wife

BANGKOK - Pojaman Shinawatra, wife of deposed prime minister Thaksin, has yet to produce a medical certificate to confirm an illness affecting her ability to appear to testify in Bangkok, to the Assets Examination Committee which had investigated the controversial sales of her family's Shin Corp stocks and the alleged siphoning off of the money to unknown locations.

AEC spokesman Sak Korsaengruang said Pojaman, who had earlier cited illness for her plea to put off last week's testimony before an AEC subcommittee, headed by Virote Laohaphan, has not presented any medical documentation to attest to the veracity of her claim.

Meanwhile, the Virote panel had formally requested the Revenue Department to collect Bt20 billion in corporate taxes from Ample Rich Investments Co, an overseas firm which had allegedly operated as a front for the Shinawatra family's stock dealings.

Via little-known Ample Rich, Mr. Thaksin's family had sold their Shin Corp stocks to Singapore's Temasek Holdings for about Bt73 billion last year. The controversial Shin Corp sales prompted a military coup to topple Mr. Thaksin who has since taken self-exile in England.

- MCOT

30037410-01.jpg

"Ooops... sorry we were late, guys... but we had a heck of a time finding the store."

ASC gets health certificate from Potjaman

Lawyer of Potjaman Shinawatra presented a letter of her medical certificate to the Assets Scrutiny Committee on Tuesday morning to ask for the postponement of her testimony to the panel to July 19. Potjaman, wife of deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra, was called in to testify to the panel on the sales of Shin Corp shares on June 19. She skipped that meeting, claiming that she was sick and was treated at a hospital abroad. The ASC then told her lawyer to present the document to support the claim. The documentation was reportedly issued by Raffles Hospital in Singapore.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=119708

Edited by sriracha john

Top judge on Ratchada land case

Supreme Court vice president Thonglor Chom-ngam was yesterday appointed the presiding judge in the Ratchadaphisek land purchase case.

Nine judges selected to hear the case met yesterday and decided to pick Thonglor, who was the most senior, as the presiding judge. Attorney General Patchara Yutithamdamrong has indicted deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman Shinawatra for graft and criminal charges over the purchase.

The nine judges will decide on July 10 whether to accept the case for hearing.

Both the public prosecutors and Thaksin have the right to lodge objections to any of the appointments. The judges will then decide whether their objections are grounded.

- The Nation

Court wants to know where Thaksin lives

The special court for corruption cases Wednesday instructed public prosecutors to locate actual domiciles of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman before proceeding any further on the Ratchadaphisek land case.

Under the Procedural Code of the Supreme Court's Criminal Tribunal for Political Office Holders, the whereabouts of the two defendants must be established otherwise the court has to suspend the case pending the completion of the search.

Prosecutors have until July 9 to identify where Thaksin and Pojaman are actually living.

- The Nation

For a politically motivated court under military junta they seem just a bit too fussy.

You could interpret this as either they're dragging their feet on purpose, as many on this forum believe, or that they're attempting to show that they're crossing all the t's, dotting the i's, and even though a military junta they are observing every convention of due process.

You could interpret this as either they're dragging their feet on purpose, as many on this forum believe, or that they're attempting to show that they're crossing all the t's, dotting the i's, and even though a military junta they are observing every convention of due process.

The judges know that all the cases and the verdicts under the Junta will be looked at and debated very seriously in the future and will reflected in Thai history. Probably few Judges in any jurisdiction, including Thailand, want to be remembered as the puppets of anyone. They are just making an effort to look, on the outside at least, like they are following the rule of law. Time will tell if that is the case.

Court: Where do Thaksin and Pojaman really live?

The special court for corruption cases yesterday instructed public prosecutors to locate the actual domiciles of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman before proceeding any further on the Ratchadaphisek land case.

Under the Procedural Code of the Supreme Court's Criminal Tribunal for Political Office Holders, the whereabouts of the two defendants must be established otherwise the court has to suspend the case pending the completion of the search.

Prosecutors have until July 9 to identify where Thaksin and Pojaman are actually living.

In his instruction, chief presiding judge Thonglor Chom-ngam said prosecutors only mentioned two legal residences - one for Thaksin and another for Pojaman.

Thaksin maintains his official residence at his Chan Song-lah home on Charan Sanitwong Road in Bangphlat district while Pojaman claims her legal domicile at their first home on Nakhon Chaisi Road in Dusit district.

Thonglor said since the two defendants were absent when the prosecution filed its writ, the court must require their whereabouts and not just their legal residences.

Reacting to the court's instruction, deputy chief prosecutor Nanthasak Pool-suk said he would co-ordinate with relevant agencies to locate Thaksin and Pojaman. He said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Assets Examination Committee should be able to obtain addresses claimed by the two as their new homes.

Under routine procedures for criminal litigation, if the defendants are outside the country for less than two years, prosecutors can report their domestic residence as their domicile without having to check the address abroad, he said.

But this case falls under the purview of the special court, whereby the judge can demand additional information, he said.

- The Nation