Tobacco Monopoly Buildings Razed. Park Going In?

LarryLindsey

Where do you access the elevated walkway from Nana soi 4?

Don't think you can now.

Yes, no you can't.

You can access from the Expressway (where the water pumping station is) or Sukhumvit Soi 10. Before there was a small track at the end of Suk Soi 8 that also allowed you to cut along to Soi 10 near the wooden bridge but I think this is no longer possible.

I remember about 5 years ago there was a suggestion to develop the 'elevated' walkway route into a by-pass Suk road. Any news of this?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually this is something I've always wanted to ask- where is the elevated (or not) walkway entrance at Lumpini..? Is it the far corner Wireless Road exit..?

Yes you need to walk past the school that is in the park, onto wireless road then past the gym/boxing/fitness stadium. That's where you will see the steps leading up to the elevated walk way.

If you are feeling super fit you can ride your bike up the middle of the steps. Good luck with that tho.

It's a but tricky to find - took me a couple of goes when I first tried to ride it .....

Entrance 1 Asoke/Benjakitti Park:

The 'part elevated' biggrin.png walkway/cycle path can be accessed from the corner of Benjakitti park that is diagonally opposite Queen Sirikit Centre (so the corner closest to Soi 14/12 area. It can also be accessed from the main dual carriageway that runs past Queen Sirikit - walk up from Asoke BTS and past the klong (you can smell it before you see it!) then turn right through a small gate and down some steps. Head straight through the small village and you'll come to the new park construction/ex tobacco monopoly. Here you'll see a green coloured pathway on your right and the entrance to Benjakitti on your left.

The green path is the start of the elevated cycle way.

Entrance 2 Suk Soi 10:

Go right to the end of Soi 10, over the Klong on a dodgy looking wooden bridge and you'll see the green path on your right. It runs alongside the Klong before rising up some steps to the elevated section.

Entrance 3 Ruamrudee:

Go to end of Ruanrudee - go straight on into a small village until you meet the Klong. On the right is a stairway up to the elevated section.

Entrance 4 Wireless:

- at the lights by the corner of Lumpini is a large footbridge - this is the end/beginning of the elevated section.

There's ramps at each stairway to enable you to push your bike up, and they have handy 'chocks' half way up so you can catch a breather. Some ramps are steeper than others. DO NOT try to ride down the steeper ramps - you will go over the bars and land on your head .... trust me on this one.crazy.gif

Actually this is something I've always wanted to ask- where is the elevated (or not) walkway entrance at Lumpini..? Is it the far corner Wireless Road exit..?

Yes you need to walk past the school that is in the park, onto wireless road then past the gym/boxing/fitness stadium. That's where you will see the steps leading up to the elevated walk way.

If you are feeling super fit you can ride your bike up the middle of the steps. Good luck with that tho.

It's a but tricky to find - took me a couple of goes when I first tried to ride it .....

Entrance 1 Asoke/Benjakitti Park:

The 'part elevated' biggrin.png walkway/cycle path can be accessed from the corner of Benjakitti park that is diagonally opposite Queen Sirikit Centre (so the corner closest to Soi 14/12 area. It can also be accessed from the main dual carriageway that runs past Queen Sirikit - walk up from Asoke BTS and past the klong (you can smell it before you see it!) then turn right through a small gate and down some steps. Head straight through the small village and you'll come to the new park construction/ex tobacco monopoly. Here you'll see a green coloured pathway on your right and the entrance to Benjakitti on your left.

The green path is the start of the elevated cycle way.

Entrance 2 Suk Soi 10:

Go right to the end of Soi 10, over the Klong on a dodgy looking wooden bridge and you'll see the green path on your right. It runs alongside the Klong before rising up some steps to the elevated section.

Entrance 3 Ruamrudee:

Go to end of Ruanrudee - go straight on into a small village until you meet the Klong. On the right is a stairway up to the elevated section.

Entrance 4 Wireless:

- at the lights by the corner of Lumpini is a large footbridge - this is the end/beginning of the elevated section.

There's ramps at each stairway to enable you to push your bike up, and they have handy 'chocks' half way up so you can catch a breather. Some ramps are steeper than others. DO NOT try to ride down the steeper ramps - you will go over the bars and land on your head .... trust me on this one.crazy.gif

Good instructions thanks, just checked it out from soi 10 down to Wireless.

Can not.

And cannot access to the park from the end of Soi 4, ... as I understand from an earlier post...

Correction. I was mistaken - now I've gone all the way to the end (on a pair of Freeline Skates) I can see that the Soi 4 short cut from Rama IV is still open. The Tobacco Monopoly land being redeveloped does not extend as far as Soi 4.

Just in case you get caught short at the Benjakiti park entrance to the walk way there is a toilet you can use. As you come up from Asoke it is just before the bridge across the road, on your right hand side. You will need to take your own paper tho, or use some leaves that are provided.

post-227968-0-64749100-1463767447_thumb.

post-227968-0-67983400-1463767501_thumb.

Edited by berybert

Photos from today.

Tobacco Monopoly Redevelopment

Soi 4 entrance still open

Elevated section above klong and roads

Section next to klong r/o Soi 4

attachicon.gifDSC_1427.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_1422.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_1416.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_1425.jpg

You show the entrance to Soi 4, But there is no way of getting onto the walkway from there. Doesn't really matter if the gate is open or shut.

True - but some posters were commenting on the short cut to Soi 4, and asking if this was now closed because of the Tobacco Monopoly development mentioned in the OP. Access to the elevated walkway is via Soi 10 as mentioned in other posts.

Awesome. If they plant enough of the right trees and foliage, mother earth will take care of the soil remediation. Nobody's got toxic shock after jogging in Benjakiti. Maybe the lake was their toxic chemical disposal pond.

Now how about the other 'lung'? Most organisms need a pair so maybe time for SRT to yield some of their vast tract of decrepit buildings and overgrown repository of obsolete and broken rolling stock west of Makkasan? I read last year that SRT did float the idea of letting it for more malls and other suffocating concrete edifices but the asking prices were silly.

It appears they are finally tearing out the cigarette factory buildings.

Does anybody have any info? Is it really going to be a new park?

What kind of impact on adjacent property values can be expected when a factory moves out and a large park appears?

For the OP, a large rainforest atrium is being built as the main center price for this new park.

I have previously posted a render of it on another thread a couple of years ago along with the park design which seemed to be quite good - assuming that it has not been changed?.In this thread (post #3) but the jpg is no longer there, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679228-bangkok-makkasan-chong-nonsi-land-talks-begin/ .....I'll see if I can find it elsewhere.

Edited by Lakegeneve

Please excuse me for getting of track...,I took a brisk walk along that walkway yesterday, from the end of soi 10 through to Lumphini n back...., interesting slice of Bangkok life.
Of course there should be much more of them..., maybe one day start on unklongging the khlongs.

• 1 month later...

Went for a (wet) skate passed the Tobacco Monopoly development to see how it's progressing. Looks like it's almost finished, but not sure if what I can see now is the whole thing, but it seems be 60% car park and a small area with rows of trees and a road up the middle? Hope there's a second phase to increase the green space? It's nice to see it, but Lumpini and Benjakitti are bigger and they have lakes and other features.

post-64119-0-10233000-1468680293_thumb.jpost-64119-0-33797200-1468680307_thumb.j

Edited by Familyonthemove

Some time ago I was in the Tobacco Monopoly Administration Building and they had on display a 3-D model of the park.

Perhaps somebody in the area can go take a look at the 3-D model (if it is still there)

Edited by Buzzz

Some may be interested to know there already is an elevated walkway from Benjakiti Park to Lumpini Park.

I think the bit with houses you are talking about is actually called A ROAD. You then enter the bit that it is called an elevated walkway because it is actually elevated above the stinky klong it runs alongside. Of course if you would actually prefer to walk at street level along the muddy klong that is up to you.

Yes thank you for proving my point. That will be the bit that runs from the park to the elevated walkway. So there is no elevated walkway from park to park.

Cheers.

You don't have to use the road with the houses to get to elevated walkway. The new back entrance to the park which connects to the elevated walkway is open all day.

TH

On the corner of sarasin and wittayu by The elementary school. Up the stairs to the elevated pedestrian crossing, cross wittayu and keep on going.

Edited by HooHaa

Stupidly you can't, it bypasses soi 4, there are only entrances at wittayu and soi 10, the road chuwit "park" borders

Yes. very dumb not to have access at Soi 4.

There is access at Raum Rudee and the Soi 0 Highway.

The new park is a real disappointment. It seems to be a separate park from Benjakitti, divided by a road and a wire fence. The wire fencing, the straight concrete paths, and light poles every 10 metres make it look like a concentration camp. At the northern end there is what appears to be a huge car park and a main entrance facing it. But the park stops before the tall trees and water tower.

post-153282-0-82189200-1468845260_thumb.

post-153282-0-71634600-1468845265_thumb.

Pretty sure you can still access it from the road that's along side the highway. Think its soi 2. last time i went over it i tried to check it out. The main connection is closed and walled in, but looks like you can still access it from a staircase.

There is alsoa stair near the church on ruam rudee . So two access points between soi 10 and wittayu. That being said, soi 10 nd wittayu are still the most practical entrance points. Pretty much the only ones.

Photos from today.

Tobacco Monopoly Redevelopment

Soi 4 entrance still open

Elevated section above klong and roads

Section next to klong r/o Soi 4

attachicon.gifDSC_1427.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_1422.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_1416.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_1425.jpg

You show the entrance to Soi 4, But there is no way of getting onto the walkway from there. Doesn't really matter if the gate is open or shut.

Correct.

The new park is a real disappointment. It seems to be a separate park from Benjakitti, divided by a road and a wire fence. The wire fencing, the straight concrete paths, and light poles every 10 metres make it look like a concentration camp. At the northern end there is what appears to be a huge car park and a main entrance facing it. But the park stops before the tall trees and water tower.

attachicon.gif20160717_150738.jpg

attachicon.gif20160718_153836.jpg

Yes. That fencing does look like an Army landscaper was in on the job.

Great to see some green space being added. Amazing that they didn't decide to sell to developers for more shopping malls and condos!

Would be even nicer if they could somehow come up with 'green space' and at the same time add some roadways or access roads to alleviate some of the horrible traffic on Sukhumvit and Asoke.

Great to see some green space being added. Amazing that they didn't decide to sell to developers for more shopping malls and condos!

Would be even nicer if they could somehow come up with 'green space' and at the same time add some roadways or access roads to alleviate some of the horrible traffic on Sukhumvit and Asoke.

There is (was?) a plan make Sarasin road extend from Wireless (current endpoint) all the way to Ratchada (going over the expressway and through the Tobacco Monopoly), popping out near QSNCC.

attachicon.gif20160717_150738.jpg

attachicon.gif20160718_153836.jpg

Looks like the landscaping one would expect around a army base. Not impressed at all .

You mean like build a park and then turn it into a road ? It would be lovely to sit in a park while the traffic you tried to get away from is flying past as you have a picnic.

Some may be interested to know there already is an elevated walkway from Benjakiti Park to Lumpini Park.

Elevated ? Most of it is a street level other than the steps that take you over the roads.

Not true at all...it was elevated from the overpass all the way to lumpini.

Very sorry to see this property developed as it was a very peaceful place to exercise. I wonder what has happened to the 100+ dogs that called the property home and were cared for by the employees?

Some of those large warehouses had become residences.