choosing between mazda cx-3, nissan x-trail, kia soul, honda hrv, subaru xv

A month ago I posted here for comments about choosing between the hrv and the xv. The response was largely in favour of the hrv. I have still not bought a new car and in the meantime I'm looking again at the cx-3 and the x-trail, which now attract me at least as much as the hrv (as does the kia, but I'm very dubious about the design of its back).

My criteria are

1) spend no more than 1.5m baht (though the 2.5L x-trail costs a shade more)

2) must have a higher driving position than a sedan, hence the above short-list

3) space in the back seat or boot is irrelevant to me

4) front seats and general inside to be as comfortable, well put together and 'premium' as possible for the budget I have

5) use will be mostly in the city - very occasional longish road trips, but no off-road ones

6) must have servicing/maintenance in chiangmai.

Once again, I'd very much appreciate helpful comments - and apologies for not being brief about this.

PS

Finally, if there is something that would be ideal and is soon to arrive here I'd be very interested to know, as I have flexibility on timing. (If only the Citroen c4 cactus which I like above all was available here :) )

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"well put together and 'premium' as possible for the budget I have"

subaru forester

Captiva?

but about all this is car meny people tell you in previose topic.

You guess some change for few month?

Just try it and buythumbsup.gif

when in doubt, rent the models you're interested in for the weekend. Take a nice trip, see how you feel after the ride.

Allows time to test the features, comfort and control placement. And an added feature, particularly if the rental has some miles (km's) on it, how it holds up to worse case usage.

Mazda CX 5 is no bigger than X-Trail. I have CX 5 with 2.5L engine and its great.

OP say's " I'm looking again at the cx-3 and the x-trail"

CX-5 and X-Trail agree are the same size and class, but CX-3 and X-Trail, would have thought the Nissan Juke [new model coming soon] would be the best against the CX-3

Subaru XV top model has been reduced to just over 1 million....

The Nissan X-Trail is far bigger than the Mazda CX-3

Maybe the 'new' Nissan Juke ? coming soon

attachicon.gif2017-Nissan-Juke-NCI-1.jpg

So Juke finally went for plastic surgery and got rid of the ugly frog-face...

Now it looks just like all the other crossoversbiggrin.png almost can't tell the difference.

Is this a 'concept' of the new Juke or an actual likeness of the final thing? Have you seen an approximate date for arrival in Thai?

I don't care about size as long as it best meets my criteria.

So Juke finally went for plastic surgery and got rid of the ugly frog-face...

Now it looks just like all the other crossoversbiggrin.png almost can't tell the difference.

My objections to the present Juke are 1) Its interior is not remotely as premium as the CX-3, and 2) I'm not entirely ok with its look.

when in doubt, rent the models you're interested in for the weekend. Take a nice trip, see how you feel after the ride.

Allows time to test the features, comfort and control placement. And an added feature, particularly if the rental has some miles (km's) on it, how it holds up to worse case usage.

Sounds an excellent idea - if it's easily done, i.e. with the respective dealers/showrooms, which I doubt.

Mazda CX 5 is no bigger than X-Trail. I have CX 5 with 2.5L engine and its great.

I don't care about space. And the CX-3 is said to be at least as well-appointed and providing better performance than the CX-5. Finally I prefer the look of the CX-3.

I like the look and almost everything else about the X-trail - except its CVT, which the Mazda s avoid.

Kia Sorrento

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Didn't know it fitted my budget but I'll look into it.

Around 1.5m and Kia will give heavy discounts if you can haggle well enough. It is, in my opinion, the best family car for the money here.

Kia Sorrento

Around 1.5m and Kia will give heavy discounts if you can haggle well enough. It is, in my opinion, the best family car for the money here.

Just been looking at on the internet and thai Kia. It seems a new and re-designed 2016 model is out in America-Europe but Thailand is still offering the old model. I wonder if they will soon have the new model. I don't need a family sized suv but equally I don't object to it as long as it meets my other criteria better than alternative suv s.

Kia Sorrento

Just been looking at on the internet and thai Kia. It seems a new and re-designed 2016 model is out in America-Europe but Thailand is still offering the old model. I wonder if they will soon have the new model. I don't need a family sized suv but equally I don't object to it as long as it meets my other criteria better than alternative suv s.

My boss has the current (old) model and it is a quality motor. But, if I was buying I would also want to wait for the new version. The Hyundai equivalent is virtually the same car but not sure how much they go for here.

One thing to be aware of with the 2016 HRV is the new downgraded tiny info/touch screen is <deleted>. It looks like something from toys r us. The paddle shifters are also next to useless as its a CVT gearbox anyway... Only useful for dropping the revs for more relaxing driving. But apart from that, the noisy engine/cabin and the manic left to right rocking over low speed pot holes, it's a great car [emoji106]

For driving dynamics you still can't beat the CX-5, even with the 2.0 engine. The upgrade is subtle but it was a great looking car to begin with.

If you are 5'8 or under, the CX-3 is not a bad option.

I am large + 6'3 and found no problem in the CX-3...... anyway as in most cars it is a easy job to place/refit the seat runners further back, and have done so in many a car I have owned..

as the OP said - 3) space in the back seat or boot is irrelevant to me

If boot and rear space is irrelevant, I'd definitely go for the CX-3. It looks great, has a capable 2l Sky-active engine, has fantastic handling, and has a very refined interior for the price.

If you need 4wd, I'd go for the XV. Nothing else comes close in the ~1m price range. Even with the additional ground clearance, the XV sticks to the road like glue. I love driving Subarus on the windy roads back in New Zealand. Wonderful cars. 2016 has seen a slightly improved interior, although it's still a little on the plasticy side in appearance.

Wow that Cactus is interesting, as you say, wish it was available here.

I've been a car guy my whole life. And worked in a related industry for a decade or so. All of that to say that I care about design, a car is more than just a way to get from point A to point B for me. I feel the Honda HRV is the best looking. I've seen some on the streets with some very minor body/wheel upgrades that looked really good, more aggressive. I wouldn't normally mess around with such things, and probably wouldn't if I bought, but shows me the possibilities for that crossover. I've been studying the HRV a bit, and the magic seats are interesting. It seems you don't care too much about storage space. But for me very interesting.

The HRV is a great choice. Honda interiors and exterior design are very good quality, for the money.

CX3 very nicely made car, for me best of what your looking at, only down side for me is size.. Im looking at a CX5 latest edition... Whats your criteria, as your looking at a few different cars in terms of size..

I had a CX 5 2.0 and the new X-Trail 2.0.

Conclusion:

- Quality & Design Interior : CX 5

- Agility : CX 5

- Space : X-Trail

- Cosumption : CX 5

- Durability : CX 5

I am using the cx 5 over 150,000 km run in Europe. not the slightest problem.
With the X- Trail here 80,000km in Thailand. 3x in the garage for CVT and Electronic.

Over All, the CX 5 seems to be the better quality Car. nothing rattles, everything works,what I can't say from the x-trail.

Thank you for the many helpful comments and info.

My thinking and comments point to CX-3 as #1. Handling, styling, interior said to be at least as good ass the CX-5. And as I said I don't need the space. On the other hand I wouldn't reject the space if on all other criteria the car was great for my needs. And the X-trail and XV as joint #2. Why not the CX-5? Well I prefer their profile view, and for the reasons I stated just now for choosing the CX-3. But it's not ruled out as another joint #2 :)

I had included the bigger X-trail & XV because I read rave reviews for the X-trail and because the Subaru has the solid reputation for sturdy manufacture. I also like the look of both cars. However both have CVT which, other things being equal, seems inferior as a driving feature. (I did drive the XV and was a little disappointed by the power.) On the other hand the XV is very competitively priced now in Thailand for what it is - not least the 4wd, ground clearance (flooding?) and the off road capabilities.

I'm 5'9". I live just 70% of the year in Thailand. Of that time the driving would be 80% in the city and the rest on road trips. So the only space I need is to chuck a bag in the back for at most a fortnight's trip smile.png

The main reason I want an suv not a car is that I'm no longer young and now want the most comfortable seat height to get into and out of the car for mostly short city journeys. I ruled out the Pajero and other such pick-up based vehicles because I want the comfort and fun of a car's interior and engine.

There was a strong recommendation for the Kia Sorento or even the Hyundai Tucson. But both these being sold in Thailand are still the 2015 models and apparently the 2016 models are huge improvements. Finally, I notice nobody has had anything to say about the Kia Soul. (For me it's only the ugly rear of the car that is its negative point.)

My wife liked the Kia Soul but the model they import is quite low spec for the price they want. Despite the website showing it, it doesnt come with the moonroof.

It was too small for me but sounds like the CX3 is perfect for you. Both dealers I went to were offering healthy discounts off the top spec model.

Archived