choosing between mazda cx-3, nissan x-trail, kia soul, honda hrv, subaru xv

My wife liked the Kia Soul but the model they import is quite low spec for the price they want. Despite the website showing it, it doesnt come with the moonroof.

It was too small for me but sounds like the CX3 is perfect for you. Both dealers I went to were offering healthy discounts off the top spec model.

Actually the Kia Soul they have now is the top spec and 2.0L engine. I really like it in every way except the look of the panel, and the too big and showy lights at the back.

I assume the discounts you refer to were on the Kia; if the Mazda, that's good news!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the many helpful comments and info.

My thinking and comments point to CX-3 as #1. Handling, styling, interior said to be at least as good ass the CX-5. And as I said I don't need the space. On the other hand I wouldn't reject the space if on all other criteria the car was great for my needs. And the X-trail and XV as joint #2. Why not the CX-5? Well I prefer their profile view, and for the reasons I stated just now for choosing the CX-3. But it's not ruled out as another joint #2 smile.png

I had included the bigger X-trail & XV because I read rave reviews for the X-trail and because the Subaru has the solid reputation for sturdy manufacture. I also like the look of both cars. However both have CVT which, other things being equal, seems inferior as a driving feature. (I did drive the XV and was a little disappointed by the power.) On the other hand the XV is very competitively priced now in Thailand for what it is - not least the 4wd, ground clearance (flooding?) and the off road capabilities.

I'm 5'9". I live just 70% of the year in Thailand. Of that time the driving would be 80% in the city and the rest on road trips. So the only space I need is to chuck a bag in the back for at most a fortnight's trip smile.png

The main reason I want an suv not a car is that I'm no longer young and now want the most comfortable seat height to get into and out of the car for mostly short city journeys. I ruled out the Pajero and other such pick-up based vehicles because I want the comfort and fun of a car's interior and engine.

There was a strong recommendation for the Kia Sorento or even the Hyundai Tucson. But both these being sold in Thailand are still the 2015 models and apparently the 2016 models are huge improvements. Finally, I notice nobody has had anything to say about the Kia Soul. (For me it's only the ugly rear of the car that is its negative point.)

I ruled out the Pajero and other such pick-up based vehicles because I want the comfort and fun of a car's interior and engine.

I was at the Mitsu garage today and the boss asked me to have a drive in the new Pajero, the comfort will be on par with any of the vehicles you have mentioned but perhaps some prefer benzene as opposed to diesel.

Its not a pretty machine on the looks, but for comfort and the super smooth change on the auto box its well up with the rest on the list

"well put together and 'premium' as possible for the budget I have"

subaru forester

Captiva?

but about all this is car meny people tell you in previose topic.

You guess some change for few month?

Just try it and buythumbsup.gif

Haven't check on the Captiva. But the Forester seems hopelessly underpowered. (XT is ok but out of my budget).

My thinking and comments point to CX-3 as #1. Handling, styling, interior said to be at least as good ass the CX-5. And as I said I don't need the space. On the other hand I wouldn't reject the space if on all other criteria the car was great for my needs. And the X-trail and XV as joint #2. Why not the CX-5? Well I prefer their profile view, and for the reasons I stated just now for choosing the CX-3. But it's not ruled out as another joint #2 smile.png

I had included the bigger X-trail & XV because I read rave reviews for the X-trail and because the Subaru has the solid reputation for sturdy manufacture. I also like the look of both cars. However both have CVT which, other things being equal, seems inferior as a driving feature. (I did drive the XV and was a little disappointed by the power.) On the other hand the XV is very competitively priced now in Thailand for what it is - not least the 4wd, ground clearance (flooding?) and the off road capabilities.

I'm 5'9". I live just 70% of the year in Thailand. Of that time the driving would be 80% in the city and the rest on road trips. So the only space I need is to chuck a bag in the back for at most a fortnight's trip smile.png

The main reason I want an suv not a car is that I'm no longer young and now want the most comfortable seat height to get into and out of the car for mostly short city journeys. I ruled out the Pajero and other such pick-up based vehicles because I want the comfort and fun of a car's interior and engine.

There was a strong recommendation for the Kia Sorento or even the Hyundai Tucson. But both these being sold in Thailand are still the 2015 models and apparently the 2016 models are huge improvements. Finally, I notice nobody has had anything to say about the Kia Soul. (For me it's only the ugly rear of the car that is its negative point.)

I ruled out the Pajero and other such pick-up based vehicles because I want the comfort and fun of a car's interior and engine.

I was at the Mitsu garage today and the boss asked me to have a drive in the new Pajero, the comfort will be on par with any of the vehicles you have mentioned but perhaps some prefer benzene as opposed to diesel.

Its not a pretty machine on the looks, but for comfort and the super smooth change on the auto box its well up with the rest on the list

I bought a Pajero 3-4 years ago. Among other things it was noisy engine. Are you saying the new Pajero is such a huge improvement? Or that it isn't based on a pick-up's chassis? But in any case I think the exterior styling is not to my taste.

If boot and rear space is irrelevant, I'd definitely go for the CX-3. It looks great, has a capable 2l Sky-active engine, has fantastic handling, and has a very refined interior for the price.

If you need 4wd, I'd go for the XV. Nothing else comes close in the ~1m price range. Even with the additional ground clearance, the XV sticks to the road like glue. I love driving Subarus on the windy roads back in New Zealand. Wonderful cars. 2016 has seen a slightly improved interior, although it's still a little on the plasticy side in appearance.

We seem to have very similar leanings here, and in fact the cx-3 and the xv are presently my #1 and #2 choices. The xv is there for its 4wd, i.e. the road-holding more than the off-roading. But do you not find it under-powered?

Subaru XV top model has been reduced to just over 1 million....

The Nissan X-Trail is far bigger than the Mazda CX-3

Maybe the 'new' Nissan Juke ? coming soon

attachicon.gif2017-Nissan-Juke-NCI-1.jpg

my wife loves the Juke. i call it a joke, hate the headlights and front end look. BUT i like the look of that new juke.

why haven't you put the CX5 in your list if you have the x-trail? i've had a 2 litre CX5 for 2 years now. great car. the only problem i have had is the battery which i replaced 1 month ago. 2 years for a battery is about normal. i like the CX3 but its a bit small in the luggage area for me.

Subaru XV top model has been reduced to just over 1 million....

The Nissan X-Trail is far bigger than the Mazda CX-3

Maybe the 'new' Nissan Juke ? coming soon

attachicon.gif2017-Nissan-Juke-NCI-1.jpg

my wife loves the Juke. i call it a joke, hate the headlights and front end look. BUT i like the look of that new juke.

why haven't you put the CX5 in your list if you have the x-trail? i've had a 2 litre CX5 for 2 years now. great car. the only problem i have had is the battery which i replaced 1 month ago. 2 years for a battery is about normal. i like the CX3 but its a bit small in the luggage area for me.

I like the Juke for its distinct look and performance but its interior seems cheap and plasticky when compared with the CX-3. (By the way the photo of the 'new Juke' that someone posted above doesn't seem accurate - the look hasn't changed so radically.) I haven't got the CX-5 because the CX-3 is slightly better in all respects except space, and I don't need the space. I considered the X-trail because it's good looking and has great reviews.

I bought a Pajero 3-4 years ago. Among other things it was noisy engine. Are you saying the new Pajero is such a huge improvement? Or that it isn't based on a pick-up's chassis?

At present I have a Pajero that is nearly 6 years old, and has been trouble free.

Yes there is a big improvement from the old and new version if you drive both. I recon the engine noise is less on the new model, but its a diesel so there will always be this issue.

Regarding the chassis I have no idea on the spec as it means nothing to myself as the vehicle is used 90% on the black top and I also have no need for 4WD.

You mentioned you previously had a Pajero, have a test drive in the new model, I would be happy to change the one I have for the new package, but the body shape just kills it for me.

If boot and rear space is irrelevant, I'd definitely go for the CX-3. It looks great, has a capable 2l Sky-active engine, has fantastic handling, and has a very refined interior for the price.

If you need 4wd, I'd go for the XV. Nothing else comes close in the ~1m price range. Even with the additional ground clearance, the XV sticks to the road like glue. I love driving Subarus on the windy roads back in New Zealand. Wonderful cars. 2016 has seen a slightly improved interior, although it's still a little on the plasticy side in appearance.

We seem to have very similar leanings here, and in fact the cx-3 and the xv are presently my #1 and #2 choices. The xv is there for its 4wd, i.e. the road-holding more than the off-roading. But do you not find it under-powered?

I don't, to be honest, but I suppose it depends on what your expectations are. We had 4 adults and luggage, and the engine was more than capable of hauling us all along at 100 kph. Overtaking wasn't an issue, and there was plenty of tourque on the hills. The CVT transmission was quiet enough, even at high speeds, although personally I would still prefer the CX-3 auto.

I guess if you zoom around at 140 kph, and want to carry our 160 kph passing maneuvers it would struggle.

If it's just for around town and the occasional highway trip, I would do with the CX-3. If you find yourself often going on adventures in far flung parts of the country, and I would definitely go for the XV with it's higher ground clearance and 4wd

No idea what happened here with Suzuki ? both the SX4 now called the S Crossover and the Vitara no longer appear on Suzuki website ? both value for money + holds there value better than most other makes in Thailand..

Both new models are in UK, Australia and many other places. http://www.caradvice.com.au/380799/2016-suzuki-vitara-review/

The new S-Cross in Malaysia in November 2014, while Thailand where still selling the old SX-4 at around 800,000 baht !! http://paultan.org/2014/11/20/suzuki-s-cross-launched/

Also looking at these ...

I like the CX3 design but not CX5 ... but CX3 a bit too small

Nothing at Ford .. Ecosport too small , Everest too big

Honda ... Like the HRV design but not CRV ..

Toyota ... Taxi comfort/designs ? ... Fortuna not comfortable/boring .. what new Toyota ?

Kia/MG etc worry about servicing ... ( Based in Samui )

Pajero .. looks like a tank

Am looking at the Nissan Hybrid Xtrail ... Prefer the design but not sure about speed/acceleration .. Also would work well on Samui where traffic speeds are generally low .. but changing from a Ford Focus 2.0 and appreciate the acceleration when needed .

On trips to Phuket and Bangkok one needs to overtake and be able to accelerate out of/ through situations .. can the xtrail do this ?

.. what new Toyota ?

e305212df9978664e2bfbfa91c03a76b.jpg

Strange but nice aggressive design ... When is it coming any more info ?

SCION C-HR, guess now Toyota have bought 100% and the Scion name is no longer it will be called the Toyota C-HR....

No idea will it still be made in Indonesia ?

I'd go the Mazda CX family, for example the top model or whichever has the best anti collision/ traffic avoidance, adaptive cruise etc radar/detection facilities. And add a GoPro, just in case!

No idea, but Toyota Thailand started promoting it in a teaser video a few months back.

Remember a about 3 years back 'All New' Chevy Trax, Chevy Thailand started promoting it in a teaser video here, never came to anything it is still not here.

also we had the Mazda CX-4, [sold in other places] but never came here, just a very late and smaller CX-3

Looked around a Chinese spec MG GS today in London

Not bad at all, nice design inside and quality tactile buttons on the dash but let down by a fair amount of hard plastics high up i.e. Door panels . It does have Electric seats and rear vents. Lots of room in the front, comfortable seats, similar to the CX5. The back wasn't bad but not as much legroom as an HRV. Seats recline etc.

bfb7200c4a2225edb1e6cd58a8735a95.jpg26a0bb8b147e7698525a689d0f00e755.jpg0a18365165ba6fed55460b3911ea2a9b.jpg

My 1st choice now is the CX-3, followed by the XV - both with the top specs available. (Unless something exceptionally suitable for me appears on a six-month horizon for sale in Thailand). However I have still to see the Kia Soul at its Bangkok showroom - maybe that will cause me to change my mind on the flamboyant styling of the rear.

• 3 weeks later...

.. what new Toyota ?

e305212df9978664e2bfbfa91c03a76b.jpg

Strange but nice aggressive design ... When is it coming any more info ?

SCION C-HR, guess now Toyota have bought 100% and the Scion name is no longer it will be called the Toyota C-HR....

No idea will it still be made in Indonesia ?

I am bit same as the OP. We are planning to change our car end of this year but we don't know exactly what we are looking for...we like the HRV design and I tested it few months ago. Nice. Then I saw these new Civic and I tested it few weeks ago and found it good too. We were then in between the HRC and the new Civic. Then we thought that Toyota might something interested (all last 2 cars were Toyota and we are happy with it and also we have good relation with the saler). We found nothing really in our interest. Closest choice would have been the new fortuner but it's very big and doesn't really make sense for our needs. Toyota show us on their records the C-HR and told us it's coming about November this year. So it might be an option as our plans are to change car end of this year.

Went to Mazda this week as I can see quite a lot of CX5 on the road and they look nice. Was not much excited when I saw the CX5 in the showroom but saw the CX3 really nice. Had a test drive with the CX3 top model (1M THB) and found it really good interior exterior and performance. So after having considered the HRV, the new Civic, the CX5, the CX3 become our first choice but we are going to wait the end of the year anyway and see what Toyota bring.

We are only 2 persons. My wife is the one who use mainly, mostly short distance around Phuket except some trips to Bangkok and around Thailand for vacations.

Archived