Chalong water trucks back on torn up road

rooster59

Chalong water trucks back on torn up road

The Phuket News

post-247607-0-84032300-1463265043_thumb.
Chalong Mayor Samran Jindaphol has allowed the water trucks to resume using the torn-up road after a donation of B400,00 was made to the municipality. Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET: Chalong Mayor Samran Jindaphol has confirmed that water trucks have permission to continue to refill their road tankers at a lagoon near Wat Chalong on a road that he banned them from only on Wednesday (May 11).

Mayor Samran banned water trucks from using Luangporkluem Rd after a slew of complaints brought him to realise that the trucks’ round-the-clock activities had torn the small road apart. (See story here.)

However, the water trucks resumed using the road in full force yesterday, with one local resident reporting that 13 trucks were queued up for refilling at 8:30pm last night (May 13).

The concession to allow the the trucks to resume refilling their tankers at the site came after B400,00 baht was given to the municipality in order to help pay for repairs to the road, Mayor Samran told The Phuket News today (May 14).

“On Wednesday, I ordered the company to stop all deliveries until workers had repaired the road, but the very next day the owners pleaded to us that if they stopped the water deliveries, it would hurt their businesses and many people in hotels across the island would have no water,” Mayor Samran said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chalong-water-trucks-back-on-torn-up-road-57426.php#gIqZ572uX0HiyXMb.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-15

Clearly a well thought out policy response with clear goals and clean implementation.

All stakeholders concerns reflected and addressed.

Hopefully this administration will be able to conclude their mandate with no further incidences of adversity requiring complex policy decisions, such as this one, again.

Here's a donation of 400k, now can we keep using the road.

Amazing how a backhander money can make a problem go away very quickly ...

Another way to look at it is that the road is already stuffed, the water delivery people have paid money to fix it when the drought breaks (today?), so they may as well keep using it to provide this vital service.

When the service is no longer needed, fix the road properly so it doesn't fall apart next time.

Seeing the price per truck is near 1500 baht for 12000 litres.

Some trucks are going 24/7 and making 100k a day with ease.

Drought makes some people wealthy.

How many runs at 1500 Baht do you think they can make a day? To make 100k (with ease) it would have to be 65 plus runs, so around 20 minutes per run.

Highlights the stupid situation of allowing hotels to be built without their own source of water on-site, such as deep wells. Many of these off-site water sources are flooded tin mine areas, complete with heavy metal residues in the lake sediment. coffee1.gif

Last month during Songkran- millions of litres of water were wasted all over Thailand with Pattaya on a 10 day binge of waste. How irresponsible was that and now the results are everywhere. Prices of vegetables skyrocket due to drought; crops cannot be planted because there is no irrigation; hotels will soon run dry and roads being torn apart and possibly chemicals in the water they deliver. It doesn't matter Thailand had 'fun' during Songkran and is willing to let its people suffer so the wealthy can continue to collect their money. Any further comment would be superfluous.

Another way to look at it is that the road is already stuffed, the water delivery people have paid money to fix it when the drought breaks (today?), so they may as well keep using it to provide this vital service.

When the service is no longer needed, fix the road properly so it doesn't fall apart next time.

Just yesterday I talked with my water truck man who claims to have been the main negotiator with the 'mayor'. The plan is to lay a proper concrete road that will support heavy trucks.

B400,000 is hardly enough to pay off a mayor. And it is certainly not enough to repave a road for heavy usage. So that leaves us with a randomly selected figure to divert attention away from the issue.

Just yesterday I talked with my water truck man who claims to have been the main negotiator with the 'mayor'. The plan is to lay a proper concrete road that will support heavy trucks.

"The plan is to lay a proper concrete road that will support heavy trucks." - he's a smart guy, your water truck driver. When's he running for Mayor? biggrin.png

They damaged the road and are paying for repairs. Anything wrong with that?

As it appears that the trucks damaged the road, and it is going to cost a lot more than the owner's donations to repair, then I would say there is a lot wrong. I can imagine the quality of the rebuild, given what occurs in many provinces, repaired one day,stuffed the next. I'd say the initial build was of poor quality given the damage occasioned.

They have a bad habit of building roads on compacted soil and road base, not concrete and then lay bitumen over the top, even when it's raining. Water on earth under bitumen, a recipe for damage. The way some of these people think amazes me. How much work do they think this amount will cover. And he lets the trucks back onthe road the next day. Typical politician, has no common sense or forethought.

As it appears that the trucks damaged the road, and it is going to cost a lot more than the owner's donations to repair, then I would say there is a lot wrong. I can imagine the quality of the rebuild, given what occurs in many provinces, repaired one day,stuffed the next. I'd say the initial build was of poor quality given the damage occasioned.

They have a bad habit of building roads on compacted soil and road base, not concrete and then lay bitumen over the top, even when it's raining. Water on earth under bitumen, a recipe for damage. The way some of these people think amazes me. How much work do they think this amount will cover. And he lets the trucks back onthe road the next day. Typical politician, has no common sense or forethought.

Who days it is going to cost more than donated?

I (says) do.

I (says) do.

Typical bashing.

Bashing, or actually knowledgeable on the subject?

As this guy lives in northern Thailand I doubt he has been down to the site to measure the length and width of the damaged area, so his opinion cannot be considered particularly knowledgeable.

As this guy lives in northern Thailand I doubt he has been down to the site to measure the length and width of the damaged area, so his opinion cannot be considered particularly knowledgeable.

True, so seeing as you know what's going on, what are the dimensions of said road that will be redone?

True, so seeing as you know what's going on, what are the dimensions of said road that will be redone?

I haven't inspected the area either, but I haven't claimed to know the cost to fix said road.

I have scanned it with Google Earth, and not knowing where their water pick up point is, could only guess at the length requiring replacement. I don't know how this guy could make such a confident statement. (Incidentally, I'm also an expert on the subject having worked on a hot mix road crew as a youth!)

My street, a couple of Ks from this site, was built up from a track a couple of years ago using massive amounts of road base and finished with a wide, thick concrete surface. I know the exact cost because they have written it on a sign at the end of the road.

If I wanted to play your silly game, I'm sure I could come up with a better estimate than the guy from Loei.

I don't know what game you are talking about, but seeing as your water guy is in the know, I figured you would be too. I'm trying to ascertain which side of this argument is taking the piss, those that say it costs a lot more to fix the road than the 400K, or those that say this will cover the costs. If we knew the dimensions of the repair, we would then know how many sqm we are talking about and come to a price per sqm. No games, just facts and figures. Is the road length, 20 metres, 100 metres, 500 metres and what is the width?

I don't know what game you are talking about, but seeing as your water guy is in the know, I figured you would be too. I'm trying to ascertain which side of this argument is taking the piss, those that say it costs a lot more to fix the road than the 400K, or those that say this will cover the costs. If we knew the dimensions of the repair, we would then know how many sqm we are talking about and come to a price per sqm. No games, just facts and figures. Is the road length, 20 metres, 100 metres, 500 metres and what is the width?

I haven't mentioned my water guy on this thread, I think your confusing my post with LIKs. My water guy is a local village man with a small tanker and I think he fills up from a local deep well.

I agree with your thoughts that you would need to know the dimensions and amount of damage to make an estimate to fix it.

That was my point.

The other guy doesn't know either, but wanted to dispute the costs given by the people on the ground.. You supported him.